• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
what if i would like to play at 4k 60fps with better visuals ?

Learn to code.

But seriously, how does PSNow perform on PC? I'm guessing not so good.

This comment by Cory is just really bizarre. Not only is he needlessly putting himself down, but he's comparing apples to oranges – no doubt the various differences between the two have been pointed out by now.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Learn to code.

But seriously, how does PSNow perform on PC? I'm guessing not so good.

This comment by Cory is just really bizarre. Not only is he needlessly putting himself down, but he's comparing apples to oranges – no doubt the various differences between the two IPs have been pointed out by now.
I'm pretty sure PSNow streaming is still limited to 720p unfortunately, outside of that and the extra input lag and artifacting from streaming, it's the base PS4 version too I believe.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the comments on this first page are nuts, lol. I don't know how you read bitter or resentful in any of this. None of that checks out.

Dude would love his games to reach as many people as possible but he knows he ain't as powerful as Kojima. Simple. Facts are facts. He'd have more leverage if he left SSM, took a bunch of the talent with him, and started his own studio.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This is the worst take. The more people who can play the game the better.

Well yes, but I literally bought a PS4 when GOW was announced. And spent a ton on PSN after that.

First party games are made to sell consoles, you think Sony and Nintendo would make the same games if wasn't for that?

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
what if i would like to play at 4k 60fps with better visuals ?
I really don't care, It's obvious PC's always tend to have the upper hand technologically speaking.
This is the worst take. The more people who can play the game the better.
Nothing is keeping them from purchasing a PS4 if they really want to play the game?, console makers want to get more people into their eco system, they make first party games to entice people into getting their system so putting out their heavy hitters on other platforms goes against what they're after. Heck why not XB or Switch versions too while you're at it?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really don't care, It's obvious PC's always tend to have the upper hand technologically speaking.

Nothing is keeping them from purchasing a PS4 if they really want to play the game?, console makers want to get more people into their eco system, they make first party games to entice people into getting their system so putting out their heavy hitters on other platforms goes against what they're after. Heck why not XB or Switch versions too while you're at it?
XB and Switch version would be fantastic too

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Well, yeah, why not ? What would you lose ?
The only thing you'd lose is an entry in your listwar of exclusives.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

People understand why SONY may want to keep it on their platform. I think the confusion is why YOU are so adamant that it stays on there.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, yeah, why not ? What would you lose ?
The only thing you'd lose is an entry in your listwar of exclusives.
No offense but you don't know what you are talking about, first party games are made to move hardware. Making them available on other platforms defeats that purpose. If you can't understand that then I feel sorry for you.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
This. Sony helped bankroll Kojima for console exclusivity. Corey works for Sony, so GoW coming to PC is a Sony decision.
Yup.

I know people will think Sony is scummy for keeping their exclusives on their platform, but any reasonable person would understand. Their exclusives are a big reason why Playstation is such a strong brand and why they have 3 of the top selling consoles of all time. You'd certainly be hurting your HW sales if every exclusive was made available on another platform. Imagine if every Nintendo game was available on PC or mobile.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
SMS is a Sony studio, KP is not simple as that..Are people really begging for a PC port? And don't start with the argument everything plays better on PC because the majority of PC gamers do NOT have a 2080 and i9 etc..I sure as hell don't, mine barely edges out the PS4 pro.

Heri

Oct 28, 2017
No offense but you don't know what you are talking about, first party games are made to move hardware. Making them available on other platforms defeats that purpose. If you can't understand that then I feel sorry for you.

Every console manufacturer should go third-party, makes total sense.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Because they will have complete control and 100% of revenue with a PC version; and not support a direct competitor. Bloodborne, TLOU Remastered and Uncharted collection has long ceased from driving hardware sales. So the question that should be asked is why not bring those older titles to PC, sell millions of copies each and take all that money back to invest in Playstation? And actually introduce whole new segment to your output. A person playing and liking TLOU on PC is more likely to go out and buy PS4+TLOU2 when it comes out than a person who hadn't.

And again, if we are past the hurdle of Sony necessitating PS hardware with PS Now, why is it out of the question offering a native alternative?
What is the business sense against releasing Resogun, Bloodborne, TLOU Remastered natively on PC?

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018

How is Sony making PC downloads for games available on PC through PSN going against bringing people into their ecosystem? That's literally doing the opposite and bringing them INTO their ecosystem because Sony owns PSN which is their digital distribution service. They would take 100% of the profits. There are clever ways of keeping people locked into your ecosystem too like Gamepass. GP offers games both 1st and 3rd party which keep people within that ecosystem if they want to play those games because it offers better value than individual purchases. Sony doesn't necessarily have to only bring 1st party to PC they can copy Gamepass and offer a wide range of 1st and 3rd party games with constant updates to keep people hooked. The obvious idea for that is having PSnow on PC but allowing select downloads of current gen games for example. No one would expect PS3 games to be downloadable on PC (unless there's a native PC port already) and I doubt they'd complain about that because that deal would be great value anyway and I'm not even someone who likes the idea of streaming but I know I'd try it out just for those native ports of GoW or Spiderman (the latter being my favourite Sony game of the gen).

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Yup.

I know people will think Sony is scummy for keeping their exclusives on their platform, but any reasonable person would understand. Their exclusives are a big reason why Playstation is such a strong brand and why they have 3 of the top selling consoles of all time. You'd certainly be hurting your HW sales if every exclusive was made available on another platform. Imagine if every Nintendo game was available on PC or mobile.

Agreed. As much as I personally would like to see their games on PC as well, I can completely understand as to why they are not. Sony is in the console making business, and they need to sell consoles. Why you won't see games like Spider-man on PC as well.

When Kojima departed Konami and started up his own studio, Sony believed it to be a good investment to help bankroll Kojima's project due to the relationship they've had over the years with the Metal Gear Solid series on Playstation platforms. While I don't think we'll ever see DS on Xbox, it's apparent that he probably had it in the agreement that they would be allowed to port the game to PC, which is a smart move because if KP is going to continue on making more games, they're going to need the income. Especially if they're next game is indeed a multi-platform title.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I have never seen a problem with console exclusivity and having a pc release as well. I know a LOT of people who are one or the other. Would expand sales super easily

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

You're proving my point "to move hardware".
Why do you care ? Are you an investor ? An astroturfer ? Or just an insecure fanboy ?

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
FUCK NO, wanna play God of War?. Buy a PS4, that's the whole point of first party games no?, move hardware?.

This post is so embarrassing/cringy and everything wrong with gaming today lol. I really hope it was meant as a joke.

Gonna be tough for people like this when sony inevitably puts their games on pc too one day. Im sure they'll be the last ones to that party for sure, but putting games on console and PC is good for both devs and consumers. Only corporate cheerleaders lose out. This isnt the 90s/00s anymore, and console exclusivity is becoming more and more a negative than a positive. Only used as ammo in fanboy wars who want to argue console sales numbers (as if that matters to anyone who isnt an investor lol). Sony currently needs to force people to buy their specific hardware to play their games locked to that system (understandable since they dont own Windows or Steam for example), but eventually they will have to cave just like they slowly did for crossplay recently. Writing is already on the wall. The industry changes and times move on, we're seeing it already. Consoles wont go anywhere, people like me will still always want to play on console so Xbox/PS will still sell, but games will be available to more of an audience with more options to play on. And that's only a good thing for everyone who matters.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
I wouldn't have any reason to buy a PS then, just like Xbox. They should warn us before spending $500 though.

MS already tells you, its known that their games are thankfully on PC as well now. If you like PC, then you should want sony to do the same instead of forcing you to play where you ideally wouldnt want to. There will always be people who prefer to play on console, so there will always be a need for Xbox/PS, but more options is only good, and MS/Sony will still get money from games sales regardless of if you buy them on console or PC, it doesnt matter to them. Well it still matters to sony unfortunately, but that will change eventually.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This post is so embarrassing/cringy and everything wrong with gaming today lol. I really hope it was meant as a joke.

Gonna be tough for people like this when sony inevitably puts their games on pc too one day. Im sure they'll be the last ones to that party for sure, but putting games on console and PC is good for both devs and consumers. Only corporate cheerleaders lose out. This isnt the 90s/00s anymore, and console exclusivity is becoming more and more a negative than a positive. Only used as ammo in fanboy wars who want to argue console sales numbers (as if that matters to anyone who isnt an investor lol). Sony currently needs to force people to buy their specific hardware to play their games locked to that system (understandable since they dont own Windows or Steam for example), but eventually they will have to cave just like they slowly did for crossplay recently. Writing is already on the wall. The industry changes and times move on, we're seeing it already. Consoles wont go anywhere, people like me will still always want to play on console so Xbox/PS will still sell, but games will be available to more of an audience with more options to play on. And that's only a good thing for everyone who matters.
Nintendo would be the last one....

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
MS already tells you, its knows that their games are thankfully on PC as well now. If you like PC, then you should want sony to do the same instead of forcing you to play where you ideally wouldnt want to. There will always be people who prefer to play on console, so there will always be a need for Xbox/PS, but more options is only good, and MS/Sony will still get money from games sales regardless of if you buy them on console or PC, it doesnt matter to them. Well it still matters to sony unfortunately, but that will change eventually.

It matters to them because Sony doesn't own Windows. MS is not releasing games on Mac.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Wouldn't it be easier for Sony (or any company) to sell a game vs the time and money put into hardware? Suppose that 400 - 500 people are going to have to spend on next gen hardware, wouldn't it be easier to let your customers spend that on your games if they already have PC hardware to run them?

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
It matters to them because Sony doesn't own Windows. MS is not releasing games on Mac.

Yeah but Sony will still make money off sales of their games on PC, they dont need to own an OS. Im sure there are pc only gamers who wouldve never considered death stranding for example, but now they might buy it in 2020. It just provides a bigger market for your games. Its not like sony has to sell their games on the Windows store either, they have Steam. And if a console gamer wants to play it, they still have to play it on sony's console, so its still exclusive to sony's console hardware in that regard, but PC is kinda a different market.

Last edited:

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't have any reason to buy a PS then, just like Xbox. They should warn us before spending $500 though.

And they won't be "the last" because Nintendo will never do it.
Preach, how many people have we seen that won't buy an XB now because their first party games are also becoming available on PC?... exactly.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
There will always be people who prefer to play on console, so there will always be a need for Xbox/PS, but more options is only good, and MS/Sony will still get money from games sales regardless of if you buy them on console or PC, it doesnt matter to them.
Exactly. Some people here acting like PS is going to die off if they bring these games to PC as if it's not also console exclusive to PS systems already. If every gamer owned or cared about PC gaming no games would sell on console seeing as 99% of games on these systems are also on PC and play better on PC, yet they still sell several million on console. The market isn't console vs PC. It's console with the addition of PC. It's not some war. Sony will only benefit from it with (I predict) many millions of sales on PC to add on to those PS sales.

I feel some of these posters are hardcore Sony cultists and can't bare to see their games on other platforms. Seeing people say they're going to cancel their Death Stranding PS4 pre-order for the PC version probably kills them inside. Losers.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
2 things holding me back from using that

1) inability to store games locally
2) inability to use mouse and keyboard instead of a controller.
1) try it. It's not that bad, plus you get to play it, actually.
2) you play it how it was intended to be played.

Either that or get a PS4. But it's worth checking out. I'm playing New Vegas thru PSNOW and it's great. Sometimes I forget it's streaming.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Preach, how many people have we seen that won't buy an XB now because their first party games are also becoming available on PC?... exactly.

This is me. Huge Xbox fan, I've owned all of them, but I will be passing on Scarlett if their big games are going to be on PC anyway.

But still, customer friendly shit like this is why Microsoft is tops in my book.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but Sony will still make money off sales of their games on PC, they dont need to own an OS. Im sure there are pc only gamers who wouldve never considered death stranding for example, but now they might buy it in 2020. It just provides a bigger market for your games. Its not like sony has to sell their games on the Windows store either, they have Steam. And if a console gamer wants to play it, they still have to play it on sony's console, so its still exclusive to sony's console hardware in that regard, but PC is kinda a different market.
If Sony wanted to make maximum money from their individual games they wouldn't be making massively expensive games like GoW, with zero additional monetization. GoW as it exists wouldn't if Sony's main goal wasn't selling their platform. So "they could make more money" isn't a good argument for them doing it.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about GoW (hard one, in the short term at least) but for the last few days I couldn't stop thinking about what the Decima engine will be doing on PC next year. Death Stranding on its max settings, native 2160p and 60+fps will be the first true next gen showing, I believe.

I also think games should be available on as many platforms as possible. Always did (well, maybe not back when I was a little fanboy kiddo a long time ago). That's why I see some of the responses here and can't help but wonder: why is it that Nintendo usually gets left out of this conversation? What are the reasons for people to seemingly have accepted Nintendo games will never leave their own closed ecosystem?

Last edited:

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. Some people here acting like PS is going to die off if they bring these games to PC as if it's not also console exclusive to PS systems already. If every gamer owned or cared about PC gaming no games would sell on console seeing as 99% of games on these systems are also on PC and play better on PC, yet they still sell several million on console. The market isn't console vs PC. It's console with the addition of PC. It's not some war. Sony will only benefit from it with (I predict) many millions of sales on PC to add on to those PS sales.

I feel some of these posters are hardcore Sony cultists and can't bare to see their games on other platforms. Seeing people say they're going to cancel their Death Stranding PS4 pre-order for the PC version probably kills them inside. Losers.
Why is everyone labeled a 'Sony shareholder' or 'cultist' if they believe that it would be a bad business decision? If you can't see both sides of the coin then you're not being reasonable or are just upset that you can't play their games.

No putting your games on other platforms wouldn't cripple your HW sales, but it would greatly affect them. It is the main differentiator of your platform. I understand how people would feel that it would be a good idea to release their games on other platforms to generate more SW revenue, but Playstation is a CONSOLE gaming business first, not software company or subscription service. Because they've managed to balance good software with hardware, they've created a very successful ecosystem. Why change it? It's hard to argue considering their success.