• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you expect from major AAA next gen titles?

• $60 + MTX

Votes: 238 7.6%
  • $70 + MTX

Votes: 1,403 44.8%
  • $60 without MTX

Votes: 548 17.5%
  • $70 without MTX

Votes: 940 30.0%

• Total voters

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Here in Germany new AAA games are already 69€, which is 78$. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
47pry0.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Don't believe these people. They'll push for higher prices with the promise this is only so they don't need to sell you virtual hats.

But one week later you'll have the higher prices, the hats and micro transactions in order to unlock the next cutscene.

Just make shorter games.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
except we are gonna get both........MTX are not going away they make companies way too much money!!! Look at record breaking profits year over year for these companies.

Jan 9, 2018
devs need to unionise and board pay needs to come down

also fuck activision and ea
Don't really see why activision keeps getting brought into this when we've gotten
Sekiro
Crash nsane trilogy
Spyro reignited
Crash team racing
Tony hawk pro skate 1&2
Crash bandicoot 4
With almost no micro transactions if not any in most of these games

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It has been already said, but I will say it again: make AAA videogames shorter, especially if it means mantaining the current price.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, no way is something like Sekiro with no DLC or MTX launch next gen for £60, while Activision goes "well considering our next CoD is having MTX, we'll release it for £50" lol.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Games that had MTX will continue to have MTX after the price increase. This MIGHT help single player games that doesn't have MTX to continue to be MTX free.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
These days I'm very selective on the games I buy. I buy maybe 3-4 full price games a year. So if it's really a game I want to play, I don't see the price affecting my buying habits. I usually wait for an end of the year sale to buy the rest of the games I'm looking for.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Sony's not immune to this either. Gran Turismo and Uncharted 4 have mtx. U4 also had a season pass. Spider-Man has a season pass, Predator Hunting Grounds has a roll out of DLC/premium skins. Even in their games that don't have DLC, they'll often have dumb premium cosmetic stuff tied to the Digital Deluxe versions of the games (Days Gone, Death Stranding).

Everyone's trying to squeeze that bit extra out. Makes sense, consumers have shown they're more than happy to buy more expensive editions and/or keep buying smaller bites after release.
Gran Turismo has MTX??? Are you sure? Haven't played the game in a long time but since when did it have MTX. Isn't everything free?

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Publishers were making record profits this generation lol. It's entirely sustainable. No matter how much they charge for the base game there will be MTX.
All the big pub are making bank, it is sustainable.

Largely down to MTX. Take the MTX away, take the season passes/battle passes etc. away and would some AAA games cover enough of their development costs? I don't think so.

Therefore I'd rather have an initial increase in the baseline $60 than MTX and SPs.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Big games probably. I mean something like TLoU2 offers almost twice as much content as the predecessor.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Gran Turismo has MTX??? Are you sure? Haven't played the game in a long time but since when did it have MTX. Isn't everything free?

You can buy every car (except a handful of the most expensive ones) individually with real money. They go up to about £15 for the top end ones.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Record profits doesn't mean we get the best games. This industry learned to exploit every single thing they can. They have MTX and addicting games, for sure they will have record profits.

What is your point? The way the industry is today, there is no argument that games need to go up in price. That's the end of it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
There's already games that are 70 bucks + MTX.

The price might go up for games but the MTX won't go away because they still like to make more money.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I generally don't become the Sterling type on here but if we make $70/game a minimum, devs will absolutely take advantage of it and still release mtx. Truth is, mtx are never going away. A lot of games have continuous dev cycles and they require it to keep devs on. Destiny, Valorant, Gears, halo, etc

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Digital playstation games are already $76 (699sek) here, can't wait for the inevitable $86(799sek) games with MTX.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I would be okay with price increase if there were absolutely no microtransactions or DLC that used to be part of the base game in the past. But let's be honest - that isn't going to happen. The price will be increased in the future, but that won't stop the rampant monetisation.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
I honestly can't believe how I got away with paying the same price for Red Dead 1 and Red Dead 2, both on day one.

Even now, playing TLoU part II. This game seems more expensive than that.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Outside of Sony I can't think of any publishers who regularly don't include MXT and/or DLC/season passes in their uber AAA games, so we'd just get both.
Like Star Wars Fallen Order is all I've got.
Well, Sony gets 100% profit from their own game sales unlike 3rd party publisher who only gets 70%.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can buy cars from the store if you don't want to pay using in game currency but nothing in the game is locked behind mtx, it's also the easily attainable through the game.

It's not some skin where you grind a battle pass or something and it's still locked into a mtx

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't believe how I got away with paying the same price for Red Dead 1 and Red Dead 2, both on day one.

Even now, playing TLoU part II. This game seems more expensive than that.
It true. But also games are selling much more. 10 years ago to be a million seller was a milestone. Now we are talking about 5-10 times that

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If that's the case it will be even easier for me to wait for sales on those bigger titles - 'complete edition'. I've waited on countless games like that.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Largely down to MTX. Take the MTX away, take the season passes/battle passes etc. away and would some AAA games cover enough of their development costs? I don't think so.

Therefore I'd rather have an initial increase in the baseline $60 than MTX and SPs.

Who cares what you would rather have. The point is you're going to get both.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But you're just going to get both. Like you think these companies are going to charge you 70 bucks and go we're good ?

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Don't really see why activision keeps getting brought into this when we've gotten
Sekiro
Crash nsane trilogy
Spyro reignited
Crash team racing
Tony hawk pro skate 1&2
Crash bandicoot 4
With almost no micro transactions if not any in most of these games

Exceptions are not the rule.
Crash Team Racing had MTX and COD is riddled with them.

Let's not forget how the released COD MW and added MTX on top of it.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can buy every car (except a handful of the most expensive ones) individually with real money. They go up to about £15 for the top end ones.
Wow did not know that. Really annoying....!
You can buy cars from the store if you don't want to pay using in game currency but nothing in the game is locked behind mtx, it's also the easily attainable through the game.

It's not some skin where you grind a battle pass or something and it's still locked into a mtx
That seems even more sketchy.. We all know certain people can't contain themselves.

Honestly if games are going to get more expensive than i am just going to wait till they get dirt cheap. I can wait.

zthan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly in awe of how many people think games need to get more expensive. Like, what the fuck. The industry is raking in more money than ever, profits are bigger than ever, how is increasing the price going to solve any problems?

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Here in Germany new AAA games are already 69€, which is 78$. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I once saw a copy of Bloodborne for 79,99 Euros in a Media Markt and i was like "what the fuck is this nonsense" digital isn't this bad. Does europe just pay to support the US market prices.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe there are people that are literally asking for less content. Not every lengthy AAA game is long because of bloat. The way that gamers actively crave mediocrity never ceases to amaze me.

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
It true. But also games are selling much more. 10 years ago to be a million seller was a milestone. Now we are talking about 5-10 times that

10 years ago million sellers were the norm for AAA titles.

We are talking 2010 and we had several titles in the form of Batman Arkham Asylum, Borderlands, Mass Effect 2, God of War 3 and other titles that were million sellers and really successfull.

Nowadays the ceiling to be profitable is way higher if you are making an AAA title.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Yup. This is the unfortunate truth and simply saying "make your games smaller" is a gross simplification of the issue at hand in a world where the landscape is so goddamn competitive and consumer expectations are forever increasing. As someone working in game dev, I wish it were that easy but it isn't.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I don't know what all the fuss is about. I've been paying 70€ for new games for years now.
If I am not sure about a title I will wait for a discount.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I've been willing to pay more for JRPGs forever. AAA JRPGs especially seem like such a lose / lose in terms of development since you're expected to maintain a ludicrous level of production quality for a relatively large amount of playtime.

Not interested in seeing AA releases go up though.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not entirely against the idea of bigger games needing bigger prices, but it would not be sustainable in the long run for developers, publishers and the people who buy games.

Our spending power only goes so far and even core gamers can get bogged down on a couple of key games per year that take the biggest investment of all, Time. I reckon PS2 scale games with the improved graphics and fidelity will be the way to go so then you as a developer can either work on multiple projects, experiment with different mechanics, or anything else that takes your fancy without worrying that one project will not tank your entire studio.

Sustainability will be key over this next decade, budgets and time to develop can only be so big.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Wait really? Some Microsoft weirdness aside (Quantum Break cost 70€ when it came out and Gears 5 as well), AAA games cost 59,99 in Austria?
I suspect the retail market prices the games higher than msrp till they can't get away with it and lower the prices. It's not for every game but like i said i wouldn't have bought a 80€ copy of Bloodborne if you threatened me, when the digital store was already cheaper.