• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

anastiel

Banned
Mar 14, 2019
The city of San Francisco, California has declared a state of emergency over the deadly coronavirus after health officials warned its spread across the United States was inevitable.

San Francisco Mayor London Breed announced the state of emergency in a statement on Tuesday, saying "the global picture" surrounding the Wuhan coronavirus was "changing rapidly" and city officials "need to step-up preparedness."

"We see the virus spreading in new parts of the world every day," he continued, "and we are taking the necessary steps to protect San Franciscans from harm."

www.independent.co.uk

San Francisco declares state of emergency over coronavirus

'It’s not a question of if this will happen but when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illnesses'

share this to demonstrate the great risk that game producers are suffering from attending the Game Developers Conference 2020 game conference

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
US is going to be the hardest hit by the virus due to the poor health care system and job culture that has people waiting or refusing to get treated.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish I would have known this before taking the train to San Francisco!

(I would have gone anyway. School < deadly virus.

Solary

Banned
Nov 20, 2019
I would have though given the size of the US it would not spread that bad?

countries like Japan on the other hand...

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
This is pretty disrespectful considering everyone that has died from it already. You might as well say you think it's fake.

Just people i'm not wallowing in fear does not make me disrespectful toward the people that passed away from the virus. Am I concerned? Of course. I hope an effective treatment is found soon. Am I terrified? No. The mortality rate is very low.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm still planning on going to GDC. But...I'm wavering, here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Just people i'm not wallowing in fear does not make me disrespectful toward the people that passed away from the virus. Am I concerned? Of course. I hope an effective treatment is found soon. Am I terrified? No. The mortality rate is very low.
It's not all about the mortality rate.

You can recover in days from flu, even do your usual activities while being affected. With Coronavirus, you'll be bedridden for weeks and you might also catch pneumonia and other nasty diseases affecting your internal organs. While it's true that you're less likely to die from the virus if you're still young, you can still carry and spread it to the older people around you.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
can someone donate $500 a month to me so i can get health care and too not "wallow in fear?"

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018

Uh you don't have to die for it to have an adverse effect. Getting it means you going to be quarantined for 2 weeks. There are a lot of Americans living paycheck to paycheck, you think they can take off 2 weeks or more?

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
Uh you don't have to die for it to have an adverse effect. Getting it means you going to be quarantined for 2 weeks. There are a lot of Americans living paycheck to paycheck, you think they can take off 2 weeks or more?

Uh at no point did I say it wasn't a terrible virus. I stated that I wasn't going to live through the upcoming days/weeks in constant fear over it.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Uh at no point did I say it wasn't a terrible virus. I stated that I wasn't going to live through the upcoming days/weeks in constant fear over it.
Congratulations? Also, no you didn't. You dismissively insulted the people who are worried right now.

"I swear some people love to live in fear" is not "I'm personally not concerned about it for myself right now."

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
US is going to be the hardest hit by the virus due to the poor health care system and job culture that has people waiting or refusing to get treated.
Geographic size has the US better positioned here than most countries.

The response in certain areas can be poor... but so is the rate of travel to and from a lot of those areas. Even if it showed up in a populated urban center like SF or NYC, there would be 100s of millions of people in the US still at no risk of infection.

I mean, I'm still planning on going to GDC. But...I'm wavering, here.
Unless it threatens your livelihood, why would you put yourself, your family, friends, coworkers, and neighbors at risk of a completely preventable fast-spreading illness with no cure?

Going to a voluntary convention with thousands of international travelers crammed into a small center just seems like a truly bad idea right now. Is it really worth it to you (if yes, then you should go; but if not, just cancel)?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Geographic size has the US better positioned here than most countries.

The response in certain areas can be poor... but so is the rate of travel to and from a lot of those areas. Even if it showed up in a populated urban center like SF or NYC, there would be 100s of millions of people in the US still at no risk of infection.

Unless it threatens your livelihood, why would you put yourself, your family, friends, coworkers, and neighbors at risk of a completely preventable fast-spreading illness with no cure?

Going to a voluntary convention with thousands of international travelers crammed into a small center just seems like a truly bad idea right now. Is it really worth it to you (if yes, then you should go; but if not, just cancel)?
It is actually significantly important to my business, especially this year. Walking around SF seems to be no more dangerous than walking around LA (my city), and very little of my GDC experience actually takes place in the convention center itself.

I suppose there will be a higher than average number of international folks, but any major city is going to have a surfeit of them, anyway...

Of course, if enough of the people I was going to meet with drop out themselves, then I might as well not bother.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
It is actually significantly important to my business, especially this year.
Yeah, it's something you'll have to weigh when the time comes.

It's not much for Sony or Facebook or other large firms to pull out of these conventions, but indies are naturally more reliant on the networking and exposure.

There's not a great answer in this situation.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Im wondering if we will drop out of GDC as well... I mean I am not going anyway but I don't think our guys who are supposed to go there are happy about these news.

Terra

May 15, 2019
I'm flying into San Francisco for a connecting flight next month. I wonder if that's going to be affected. I assume not but who knows.

Jul 18, 2018
An hour back i booked flight to SF for end of May. Hopefully things start rolling and this doesn't become an issue when traveling around there. However maybe that is why the flight tickets round trip was only $215 for me via United

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm flying into San Francisco for a connecting flight next month. I wonder if that's going to be affected. I assume not but who knows.
An hour back i booked flight to SF for end of May. Hopefully things start rolling and this doesn't become an issue when traveling around there. However maybe that is why the flight tickets round trip was only $215 for me via United

No one who lives here is doing anything different.

I wouldn't be afraid to visit. I walk downtown every day.

Sounds like they're just declaring state of emergency to get ready for the virus if it ever hits the San Francisco.

Exactly this. It unlocks funding.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Wash your hands.

It's the single best thing you can do to protect yourself. Seriously, just wash them.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
b4f98890-7098-4f85-9yzjri.jpeg