• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I'm not expecting them to be street smart. Just smart enough to know that if you have a highly infectious virus that the world is trying to contain, you stay home and follow simple instructions. Seriously this so negligent that he better not be working in the health profession after this.

You'd think. You would also think healthcare professionals would be smart enough to put proper warning signs on a door for a suspected TB patient, and I was lucky enough to notice PPE sitting by the door before walking in. And I'm not clinical. That's just one example of things I've encountered.

Not to scare people, but your healthcare professionals are trained in a specific set of skills. They are lucky if they have time to learn things outside those skills, including what we might think is common knowledge or street smarts.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
If you are a flu patient - especially as we ramped up with flu-b this year, you get pamphlets on how to care for yourself and what medicines you can take for symptoms (Basically what the doctors had told you in the room) as well as information on those medications, resources guide, and handouts on preventing the spread. You and whoever you enter with are offered a mask or pointed to where we keep our masks and hand sanitizer mounted on walls. We even have little hand out germx, alcohol wipes, and mini travel lysol sprays in the flu clinic. You can get a test on the spot to test for several strands of the flu.

I dont think they have any of that in our unique pathogen unit and last I heard we were asked to direct patients to the website, and thats not even counting the time it takes to verify the cases. We could have had possibly hysteria-induced patients come in reporting symptoms but cannot confirm for several days.

I would not be surprised if they let him back out asking him to self-isolate while we confirm whether or not he actually had it and the patient probably didn't believe he did.

I think he didn't care...

Why are you making excuses here...

And he wasn't just a paranoid patient he was some one who came back from an infected area....who'd know he'd have been a high risk of being infected... and you know he was

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
My wife is a nurse so (obviously!) she works with other nurses and doctors. One of her doctor colleagues was in Korea for two weeks and then came back to the office like it was no big deal. They had to call the health department to force him to leave and he's now quarantined for two weeks.

Conclusion: People are dumb jerks.
Is this in the Bay Area? I just heard this story from someone else about it happening with the same general details.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Did they shoot him? They should have shot him.

63702.jpg

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I keep worrying about and wondering how many Americans will actually stay home from work when being explicitly told to do so. I can already see bosses hand-waiving away concerns and employees ignoring doctor's orders because they can't afford losing pay and/or angering their boss by being human and getting ill.
The latter part of your post is the one that worries me the most. If you're a food/service industry employee without health insurance who needs a paycheck to afford food and rent, I'm guessing who go to work more often than not. It's a recipe for disaster.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
He was a medical worker?

Wouldn't be surprised if he is an antiwaxxer too, so that I can laugh even more (angry) at his stupidness

Sep 14, 2019
This is what happens when you drill it into Americans not to stay home from work when sick.

In this case, I'd agree.

Other times (for other things like the common cold), it's a tough decision, especially when you don't have any sick days and lost so many work hours.

I had to miss a week's worth of work and I'm scrambling to pay my bills. Fortunately, I don't have rent, so bills aren't THAT high, but I do need to pay for medication and all that. Imagine those that are in a tougher situation, where they have bigger bills to pay.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
No worries, everyone he "networked" with knows he's not only a danger to himself but to everyone around him. Doubt he'll get anything beneficial out of it... it probably hurt his career more than he realizes.

He should be punished though, he's endangering other people.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would they face criminal charges? There is no law for this? People go to work with the flu all the time and the flu kills people... and yes I know the Coronavirus is 30x deadlier than the common flu.
Jesus Christ , we found someone else who would do the same shit. When people think of only themselves, that's what is wrong

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife is a nurse so (obviously!) she works with other nurses and doctors. One of her doctor colleagues was in Korea for two weeks and then came back to the office like it was no big deal. They had to call the health department to force him to leave and he's now quarantined for two weeks.

Conclusion: People are dumb jerks.
This kinda fucked up that they did this to the doctor.

Ensirius

Oct 26, 2017
So I have a story on this.
We met with a group of friends the other. As good Spaniards that we are, we kiss each other when greeting.
After an hour of being in a bar, she then reveals that she can stay however long she wants because she is not going to work.
We all ask why. She reveals she is forbidden to do so because she has visited one of the Coronavirus hotspots.
Turns out a group of medics visited her house, took samples from her, and she is awaiting to know if she got the virus.

Would have been awesome if she had said this before going hugging and kissing everyone.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Seen this before, I jsut don't get it. I could see if you were the owner but I seen middle managers do it, like the company wouldn't roll your cooling body out of the chair for the person they hired to replace you
Roll your cooling body out of the chair! That's really cracking me up. Too bad its completely true.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Should be liable for any medical expenses in the best cases and charged with manslaughter in the worst.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Jesus Christ , we found someone else who would do the same shit. When people think of only themselves, that's what is wrong
Me? No I stay home when I have the flu. Most people I work with don't. Was just responding to the criminal charges part and until there is a law, you can't charge someone for being stupid.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Most Americans will ignore any orders to stay inside unless they are forcefully put.in quarantine. We're a culture that works when were sick and never takes days off.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
This is how the world ends. Maybe not by this virus, but someday someone is going to be so full of themselves they will end us causing the end of the human race.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So I have a story on this.
We met with a group of friends the other. As good Spaniards that we are, we kiss each other when greeting.
After an hour of being in a bar, she then reveals that she can stay however long she wants because she is not going to work.
We all ask why. She reveals she is forbidden to do so because she has visited one of the Coronavirus hotspots.
Turns out a group of medics visited her house, took samples from her, and she is awaiting to know if she got the virus.

Would have been awesome if she had said this before going hugging and kissing everyone.

How can people be so dumb?

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is wrong with Americans?

I'm not from the USA but my boss literally told anyone that feels even a little sick that they can work from home. I assume it's a cultural thing.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I think he didn't care...

Why are you making excuses here...

And he wasn't just a paranoid patient he was some one who came back from an infected area....who'd know he'd have been a high risk of being infected... and you know he was
I didn't mean to say there's an excuse for what he did. Theres lots of failure on him, and the healthcare system we have in place is also a massive failure. And these failures will multiply together.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
A networking event? They risked starting an outbreak in NH for a bloody networking event?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The person is careless and dumb, but that's nothing new with sicknesses. THe punitive measures people want, like banning this person from working in certain fields, arresting them with critical charges, etc., are extreme and would probably lead to more infections as the person gets worked through the legal system after their arrest.

So you're telling me we are not putting a police detail on the people quarantined?

Isn't there someone in NYC under a self-quaratine too?

Damn

No, of course not. You really think there's enough police and enough funding to have a police officer post outside of the hundreds of peoples houses who have been confirmed and just sit there all day? What do they do if someone leaves their house, kill them? Arrest them? Beat them? If you arrest them, where do they go? A public holding cell wheree theyr'e in close proximity with other people penned in?

THere's going to be thousands of active cases of coronavirus soon in the US. While there's ~130 cases or whatever now, there's hundreds more of people who simply don't know they have it because they don't have any symptoms. Beyond that we lack the police state infrastructure to detain people in their homes. China, a totalitarian government that can quickly turn into a police state, has that ability, but no European or American countries do. And that totalitarianism backfired as much as it helped prevent the spread, too.

www.reuters.com

Coronavirus brings China's surveillance state out of the shadows

When the man from Hangzhou returned home from a business trip, the local police got in touch. They had tracked his car by his license plate in nearby Wenzhou, which has had a spate of coronavirus cases despite being far from the epicenter of the outbreak. Stay indoors for...

"When the man from Hangzhou returned home from a business trip, the local police got in touch. They had tracked his car by his license plate in nearby Wenzhou, which has had a spate of coronavirus cases despite being far from the epicenter of the outbreak. Stay indoors for two weeks, they requested.

After around 12 days, he was bored and went out early. This time, not only did the police contact him, so did his boss. He had been spotted near Hangzhou's West Lake by a camera with facial recognition technology, and the authorities had alerted his company as a warning. "

No western democracy has this sort of surveillance infrastructure, technology, and bureaucracy. Imagine if a system were in place for your boss to be notified by the govenrment when you're spotted by surveillance cameras at a park.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What the hell is wrong with Americans?

I'm not from the USA but my boss literally told anyone that feels even a little sick that they can work from home. I assume it's a cultural thing.
It's a law thing more than anything.
In the US there is no mandatory paid sick leave, and you can also be fired for pretty much any reason at all times.
Theoretically there are some protections against being fired for being sick, but they are pretty damn weak even in theory, and in practice, they aren't really enforced and people get fired all the time for missing work due to illness. You can try and sue your employer, but those lawsuits are too expensive for most people to even try.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The person is careless and dumb, but that's nothing new with sicknesses. THe punitive measures people want, like banning this person from working in certain fields, arresting them with critical charges, etc., are extreme and would probably lead to more infections as the person gets worked through the legal system after their arrest.

No, of course not. You really think there's enough police and enough funding to have a police officer post outside of the hundreds of peoples houses who have been confirmed and just sit there all day? What do they do if someone leaves their house, kill them? Arrest them? Beat them? If you arrest them, where do they go? A public holding cell wheree theyr'e in close proximity with other people penned in?

THere's going to be thousands of active cases of coronavirus soon in the US. While there's ~130 cases or whatever now, there's hundreds more of people who simply don't know they have it because they don't have any symptoms. Beyond that we lack the police state infrastructure to detain people in their homes. China, a totalitarian government that can quickly turn into a police state, has that ability, but no European or American countries do. And that totalitarianism backfired as much as it helped prevent the spread, too.

www.reuters.com

Coronavirus brings China's surveillance state out of the shadows

When the man from Hangzhou returned home from a business trip, the local police got in touch. They had tracked his car by his license plate in nearby Wenzhou, which has had a spate of coronavirus cases despite being far from the epicenter of the outbreak. Stay indoors for...

"When the man from Hangzhou returned home from a business trip, the local police got in touch. They had tracked his car by his license plate in nearby Wenzhou, which has had a spate of coronavirus cases despite being far from the epicenter of the outbreak. Stay indoors for two weeks, they requested.

After around 12 days, he was bored and went out early. This time, not only did the police contact him, so did his boss. He had been spotted near Hangzhou's West Lake by a camera with facial recognition technology, and the authorities had alerted his company as a warning. "

No western democracy has this sort of surveillance infrastructure, technology, and bureaucracy. Imagine if a system were in place for your boss to be notified by the govenrment when you're spotted by surveillance cameras at a park.

Given how many squads I see on a daily basis patrolling around constantly not actually responding to any real emergencies, and when anything does happen like 5-10 squad cars roll up, yeah I kind of do think there are enough police around to have a detail for quarantined patients.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Given how many squads I see on a daily basis patrolling around constantly not actually responding to any real emergencies, and when anything does happen like 5-10 squad cars roll up, yeah I kind of do think there are enough police around to have a detail for quarantined patients.
Would you actually trust them with that responsibility though

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Lock his ass up. This shouldn't be a self-quarantine that we just except people to adhere to.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
This person sounds like a dumdum but it's going to be a replicated story everywhere.

Not sure what people can expect when a huge portion of workers are expected to turn up to their place of work at all costs or face serious repurcussions.