• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The 2016 election may help map the next coronavirus hotspots.

While COVID-19 is finally beginning to wane in some of the U.S. cities it hit hardest and earliest, coronavirus spread is still far from its peak in most small cities and rural areas across the country. And over the past four weeks, it's been more likely that counties will show a high prevalence of coronavirus next if they voted for President Trump in 2016, an analysis by the Brookings Institution reveals.

A high prevalence of coronavirus means a county saw coronavirus case rates of 100 or more per 100,000 people. Hundreds of counties have gained high-prevalence status over the past few weeks, and 176 new counties joined that list from May 10 to May 17 alone. Those 176 counties voted for Trump by a 12 percent margin in 2016 — Trump outright won 151 of them — and are also less urban and less racially diverse than areas where coronavirus spread in March and April, Brookings notes.

Oops lol

Say it's a Democrat hoax if old

May 26, 2018
3bGC6Gh.gif

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
But the pandemic is over since 100k people died we can go back to normal now?!

This is gonna be a sad thing to watch over the next year :/

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Expect this to be the kinda headline every outbreak. But they won't put 2 and 2 together...

ps3ud0 8)

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising, but still sad to see. These people are taught that it's not a threat, so they walk right into it. It's a lot of avoidable death and suffering.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If one refuses to put on a mask due to politics, that person is already too far gone. Coronavirus isn't going to give a shit about these peoples' politics either.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Can't dig into the article right now but wouldn't some of this be expected even without accounting for voter preference?

Pandemics should hit dense urban (blue) areas first then spread outwards to rural (red) ones?

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
If it didn't affect the non-idiots among them, it'd be another case of "play stupid games win stupid prizes". Alas, this is the only way they'll learn, real shame about the kids and functioning adults who will be collateral damage :/ something has to be done.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Coronavirus is spiking disproportionately in counties full of dumb fucking racists

Feeling safe up here in Canada but enraged at the number of irresponsible idiots making things so much worse for the people just trying to get by and stay safe.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
And so the wrath of God fell upon Trump's country to punish them for their dumbassery and willful ignorance. This is the word of the Lord... Amen-ay!

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say it's proportionate to the conditions and behavior of the population. Really sucks for those who are vulnerable.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
They will definitely blame democrats for that. That's how fucking evil and downright idiotic these cancerous people are.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't dig into the article right now but wouldn't some of this be expected even without accounting for voter preference?

Pandemics should hit dense urban (blue) areas first then spread outwards to rural (red) ones?
Yes. This is how it would most likely spread, regardless.

That said, there was another study that correlated a 1% increase in Fox News viewership with a 9% decrease in social distancing, so.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Isn't it weird how these counties are the less urban ones?

You'd think the cities would be faring worse with their citizens all packed in like sardines, but for the most part my friends and family in Minneapolis are all playing by the rules and taking this seriously. No, it's our dumbass relatives in Whogivesafuck, ND and IA who are YOLO'ing it up and telling anyone who'll listen (without a mask on and within six inches of one another) that it's all a hoax anyway.

You'd think the cities would be faring worse with their citizens all packed in like sardines, but for the most part my friends and family in Minneapolis are all playing by the rules and taking this seriously. No, it's our dumbass relatives in Whogivesafuck, ND and IA who are YOLO'ing it up and telling anyone who'll listen (without a mask on and within six inches of one another) that it's all a hoax anyway.
most of the big cities tend to be more liberal minded so they're less likely to buy into the conspiracy bullshit. We soon going to reach a point where any advantage of being in a spread ou rural area will be diminished by comparison.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He barely won key states but thousands of votes, many of those voters have died already of natural causes now he's going to kill at least a few thousand more...

And he's not growing his base at all. I really think their going full in on fighting mail in ballot and voter suppression to win. But even then was saw WI in march/april

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It still spreads more in urban because of geography but those citizens tend to head the advice and are social distancing themselves a lot more (it why asia wasn't hit hard dispite being so dense) In LA city (parts of the suburban richer whiter areas this differs) Mask wearing and avoiding contact is almost universal.

I really think the next waves are gonna come most from wealthier suburbs who resent being told what to do, travel more and purposefully flaunt their "opulence"

When all is said and done it's almost certainly to have affected more urban centers than rural areas

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Reminder that he wanted everything to be back to normal on Easter, so like mid April, when the worst was yet to come.

Oct 27, 2017
My mom shared something the sheriff of a rural county here in CA shared that basically said the Governor is acting like an emperor and they keep waiting for bad things to happen, but they aren't, so fuck it we'll do whatever we want.

I wanted to point out that it isn't as bad because we fucking took steps to prevent it from being worse, but I know nobody fuckin cares and they just want to ignore it and will find some way to blame others when they get sick.