• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't feel that the idea I'm presenting here is too hyperbolic at this point. With the news of films like Mulan, A Quiet Place Part II and New Mutants (lol) being delayed, I'm wondering if we could see upcoming game releases be delayed as well.

The difference between films and games being delayed is clearly the fact that a large number of people will be sitting together in a theater.

But I think if we're all honest with ourselves, the truth is that isn't the only reason movie studios are announcing delays. They're also doing it because releasing now will hurt them financially as less people are going to go to the theater. While it's the right thing to do, Disney is also delaying Mulan because they want to make sure it performs as best as it can.

Less people will be going out to the store to purchase games. Digital is obviously huge but consumers still buy games physically as well.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Will video games be exempt to the current entertainment industry delays due to the nature of the product or will the fear of a game underperforming push a publisher to make changes?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
We will 100% see delays. A lot of studios outsource to region that were hit first.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder if Resident Evil 3 in particular will get a last minute delay, because the content wouldn't exactly be suitable given everything... That's been in my mind.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Games releasing in the next few weeks, no, in the next few months? Definitely. At least videogames are better at the whole "working from home" thing.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Games are likely in higher demand because of Corona.....so you can't compare them to cinema releases which are social experiences, which is why they were delayed.

Doubt any of the big games are getting delayed. People wanna play stuff at their homes now more than ever.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
The reasons movies are getting delayed don't exist for video games. Movie theaters depend on crowds of people gathering in one room. Games don't. They can even be worked on 100% remotely.

If games get delayed, it will be because of production delays--the games can't be finished or shipped on time.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. Although many could probably work from home we will see delays. It's probably time to tackle your backlog.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can see some titles slated for the holidays getting delayed into the first or second quarter of 2021.
However, I don't think games that will be coming out in the next few weeks will be affected by the Corona virus.
Especially those games you can already pre-load onto your systems.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Absolutely, next-gen consoles too considering most of them are manufactered in China which has been one of the countries hit the hardest by this.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff farther along might get delayed, but I think we'll be pretty safe this month and next. Digital delivery along with people wanting some outlet of entertainment they can do at home will fuel sales.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That's my general opinion. But I wonder when it starts.

Is it possible VII Remake could be delayed again? Could Nintendo issue a last minute delay on Animal Crossing?

This is all happening very much right now so I imagine these conversations are at least being had.
It's highly doubtful games coming out that already went gold with review copies get delayed and copies sitting in stores. The ones coming in months are different.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I do wonder if Resident Evil 3 in particular will get a last minute delay, because the content wouldn't exactly be suitable given everything... That's been in my mind.

I'm not too worried about RE3 — copies are already entering the distribution channel at this point — but I very much doubt we'll see Rainbow Six Quarantine any time soon. 😬

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I fully expect cyberpunk to go to 2021.

Games due out this and next month though? No. DE, AC, FF7r, and all the games in between will arrive as normal.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
That's my general opinion. But I wonder when it starts.

Is it possible VII Remake could be delayed again? Could Nintendo issue a last minute delay on Animal Crossing?

This is all happening very much right now so I imagine these conversations are at least being had.

Games that are coming out in the next few months are likely already done and shouldn't be affected. Games dated for later this year like Cyberpunk and Halo could be affected.

A lot of unannounced games are probably getting delays and we should have a second semester emptier than usual.

Oct 25, 2017
The reasons movies are getting delayed don't exist for video games. Movie theaters depend on crowds of people gathering in one room. Games don't. They can even be worked on 100% remotely.

If games get delayed, it will be because of production delays--the games can't be finished or shipped on time.

A more succinct version of what I was going to post. Stuff releasing in the near future is likely locked in at this point, and may even benefit from people spending their entertainment budget on indoor pursuits. Stuff further out? Well it'll depend on how outsource dependent it is, how adaptable a studio is to WFH, etc.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Another thing to keep in mind is whether or not retail stores like Best Buy and GameStop shut down for a couple weeks. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility at this point.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the movies are delayed because people have to gather in theatres to watch them.

Games would be delayed because people have to gather in offices to make them, but maybe there's enough that can be done as work at home that it wouldn't be as disruptive as it could be

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Every major Triple A developer relies on out sourcing to some degree. There is also no way in hell all of them managed to outsource to asset studios that haven't been affected by the virus. So we will definitely see some delays.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I think games that currently do not have a set release date but still slated for this year will absolutely release later than they intended to before the outbreak.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
we will see delays.

If more studios adopt the work from home policy. It's not as efficient as everyone being in the same office bouncing ideas/working off one another

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
Games with release dates within the next 3 months or so will probably come out on time. Most of them are basically done, and just polishing.
Games after that or with basic 2020 dates? Shiieeet, i basically don´t expect any of them to hit on time.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think Doom and Animal Crossing are safe since they're next week and already in distribution channels. Literally too late unless they ask for them to ship copies back? lol

RE3 I'm extremely concerned about given the subject matter of a virus outbreak. Hope it still makes it in time.

We will 100% see delays for games slated after the next month. Let's just hope the current batch releases and we have games to enjoy in the meantime.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
I dont think anything that's close to releasing now will be delayed. But stuff that's further out definitely could be from the knock on effect of outsourcing studios in places like China being affected

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
More and more cities, regions and countries are shutting down, so it's seems like it's only a matter of time.

Some studios will manage, because they'll let devs work from home, but a lot of studios are not equipped nor structured in a way to make this happen.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like most of the delays that will happen will be for games that never got a public release date in the first place. But internal release targets are likely already getting delayed for multiple reasons.

If any publisher was considering a shadow drop of any kind of content during E3, that's gone.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Every major Triple A developer relies on out sourcing to some degree. There is also no way in hell all of them managed to outsource to asset studios that haven't been affected by the virus. So we will definitely see some delays.

Not sure why everyone is talking about outsourcing when pretty much every game dev in seattle and the bay area are already completely WFH and most of the LA/OC area ones will be following suit if they haven't already.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I think delays will happen, but more due to production impact than projected sales impact (due to fewer people in stores and whatnot).

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man I already paid off Doom and FFVIIR at GameStop but I'm super afraid of driving to the mall to pick them up. :/

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I think all the spring games should be fine, but I have really big doubts about the alleged fall games.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I keep thinking about those, hopefully, jokes about people keeping their will to live just to play Cyberpunk 2077, and those comments started before the first delay.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
RE3 I'm extremely concerned about given the subject matter of a virus outbreak. Hope it still makes it in time.
I mean it's very close behind doom and ac in terms of already being set to come out. If it was going to be delayed just because of the virus in game, I think it would have been announced by now. Plus, that plague inc game has been pulled from some places online. Re2 isn't being pulled but is obviously close to re3.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Not sure why everyone is talking about outsourcing when pretty much every game dev in seattle and the bay area are already completely WFH and most of the LA/OC area ones will be following suit if they haven't already.
Because the countries where devs outsource to got hit in January and Febuary. Things where already gonna be delayed based on that alone. U.S. devs starting work from home will only extend delays that were already gonna happen

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

I don't understand your point? Outsourcing has nothing to do with being "already completely WFH."

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Video games may be one of the few industries not affected--as much--due to people self-quarantine and digital distribution. Plus no sports to compete with it for a month at least.