• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
So amidst all the doom and gloom I just wanted to send a message to anyone working within healthcare to say thank you. This is the biggest global emergency in a generation but you guys are stepping up to the plate, going into a warzone day after day and saving lives.

The stories from italian doctors and nurses only begin to tell the story of how bad this is and is going to be. But day after day you guys get out of bed, put on your clothes and head out to save more lives. You are modern day heroes and I just wanted a chance to show my appreciation.

Thank you

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It really can't be understated. Doctors and nurses are heroes, genuinely.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, for real. I cannot even imagine how it must feel to be in their shoes right now and work tirelessly to save and help OTHERS in this situation. Bravo.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
They are the true heroes in this crisis. They deserve all the love and appreciation for what they do.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
No kidding. There was a story in the NYT yesterday about Italy that really drove this home.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they're amazing, Alessia Bonari posted a pic showing the bruises she got as a nurse wearing her mask for so long and talked about the worries she faced.

Most of us are anxious or worried too but it doesn't compare to what they're going through .

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
Same message here. To all the Era and non-era doctor, nurses, and other healthcare professionals. You're true hero's, thank you for everything you guys do. And please stay safe.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Same. My wife is a medical worker. She's my hero. I worry about her a bit everyday, but she's more positive than I am. Keep cheering them on.

Also, remember that thread a few months ago where people said medical workers were overpaid?

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who isnt a doctor or nurse but who's working in healthcare, thanks. I've placed numerous orders related to fighting/researching this, we are ridiculously swamped, we don't have a great system to take off like most do, numerous emails hourly about the virus, we're being overran but it is what it is and everyone has a job.

Man I don't know what to tell these doctors at times. You can hear the pain in their voices.

OP
OP
weekev

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who isnt a doctor or nurse but who's working in healthcare, thanks. I've placed numerous orders related to fighting/researching this, we are ridiculously swamped, we don't have a great system to take off like most do, numerous emails hourly about the virus, we're being overran but it is what it is and everyone has a job.

Man I don't know what to tell these doctors at times. You can hear the pain in their voices.
What country are you from? Keep fighting the fight.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
And it's a contract year for Ontario nurses. Let's see them try and low ball them during this.

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
No cases at my hospital yet. We have stopped visiting and havve to was any clothing brought in and wipe down anything else dropped off if possible. What is everyine else's facilities doing to prepare?

OP
OP
weekev

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but I work in the industry every day. Thank you for your kind words.
This is why I specifically didn't just say docs and nurses, you guys help keep the ship running and deserve our thanks too.

Oct 31, 2017
Hear hear. Likewise to NHS staff, how work incredibly hard at the best of times, and are now putting their lives on the line for us.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Threads like this are nice but I feel like I am just doing the job I signed up for when I took the Hippocratic oath. But thank you.

Being a doctor working on a ward not to do with infections or lungs. Nor working in the Emergency Department...I feel like the effects of COVID haven't fully been felt by me yet.

Some of my friends have been told their leave has been cancelled. Some have been pulled out of other specialties and have been asked to work in the Emergency Department. One of my colleagues has bad lung disease so hopefully she has told her hospital this.

It is a very special job, feel like I do a lot of good and the problem solving nature of it is very intellectually satisfying too. And in Australia at least we get paid well too.

I am on leave now for 5 weeks, I have asked the hospital if they want me to cancel any of it to help out more.

Thanks to all the allied health staff too...physios/OT's/people who make the food for patients/managers/IT & tech support people/paramedics/receptionists. All of them have turned up to work in the same numbers. None of them can work from home either.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Also to those working in nursing homes, stay safe. Hope your facilities are taking proper precautions.

Dec 2, 2017
We are trucking on here. We have a good pandemic management plan in place and while we are all cautious, it doesn't do any good to worry too much. I am a trauma surgeon and thus frequently in the ER. I am not overly concerned right now. You keep calm and do your job. You owe this to your patients.

And a huge thank you to all the non-medical staff at the hospitals.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm a resident at a large university hospital, so we're pretty well equipped with infection-control measures, but I worry about my dad. He's a solo family practice physician with roughly a 10k patient base. His clinic has been on the waiting list for N95 respirators for a month now, and with looming school closures threatening to decimate his staff due to lack of childcare, I'm not really sure how he's going to fare. Doesn't help that a single positive test will require them to close for 14 days due to exposure. As it turns out there is very little guidance for primary care doctors in his position, even though he is literally on the front line for the disease.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been scheduled to work in my ED the rest of the month. Thank god my full time gig is in the cath lab now. Only thing I ask for people not to accompany whoever they suspect is sick. I hate dealing with family members.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Thank you for the kind words.

We're still expecting the wave of new cases to arrive in our hospital soon and hoping that it doesn't overwhelm our staff and resources. Just trying to continue to be cautious and do our job.

(I'm a fellow/physician in a large university hospital)

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a nurse and oh boy, the last few weeks were rough. I'm constantly tired and the days seem endless. But I'm glad that I can help.
One world.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Nothing but love and appreciation for everyone in the healthcare industry right now. Stay safe and thank you so much for your services!

BlueJay

Oct 27, 2017
Doctor here. Thank you so much for the appreciation everyone. It's been scary, especially when we think about our loved ones, there's always the fear that you are bringing something home. But we know people are relying on us.

I'll do my best to make you guys proud.

Ranma

Oct 27, 2017
Milan, Italy
I work at a big hospital in Milan. I'm not a doctor but I am the infrastructure it admin and I'm working my ass off as many colleagues are (rightfully) working from home but someone has to stay in the office and help out To be able to open new ICUs as there are so many people sick from covid.
I would like to thank everyone who is working in the hospital, not only doctors and nurses but also all the guys and girls from the help desk, the cafeteria, and so on.. We are the invisible part that keeps working to defeat this nasty stuff

Gunztrix

Oct 28, 2017
Respiratory therapist here, I've accepted that i'm going to get COVID-19. But, I'm young so i'll probably be fine, it's more about not passing it to my to the older age group such and my mom and grandma. wont be seeing my family for a while.

OP
OP
weekev

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Respiratory therapist here, I've accepted that i'm going to get COVID-19. But, I'm young so i'll probably be fine, it's more about not passing it to my to the older age group such and my mom and grandma. wont be seeing my family for a while.
Thats sad but you gotta do what you can to protect those that you love. Get through this year and hope that the vaccine is available as soon as possible.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Props to the professionals in China, who bore the brunt of an unknown disease and laid the foundation for our understanding of it.

OP
OP
weekev

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to bump my own thread again. My wife is a nurse for NHS and i know things have moved on significantly since i created it. You folks are doing an incredible job and I just want to keep some level of positivity and appreciation for the work you are doing. Thank you.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Agreed. Also, please remember the other essential workers from grocery store to sanitation workers without who most folks would be unequivocally screwed during this time of self isolation.

Two days ago, I was talking to the cashier at my local grocery store while checking out and it turns out that like myself, she is immunocompromised and that her work necessitates her to interact with people at close proximity. I thanked and bid her to stay safe (as if that'd help anything but maybe her morale).

So, remember to thank these professionals.

OP
OP
weekev

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Also, please remember the other essential workers from grocery store to sanitation workers without who most folks would be unequivocally screwed during this time of self isolation.

Two days ago, I was talking to the cashier at my local grocery store while checking out and it turns out that like myself, she is immunocompromised and that her work necessitates her to interact with people at close proximity. I thanked and bid her to stay safe (as if that'd help anything but maybe her morale).

So, remember to thank these professionals.
100% especially with all the moronic panic buying that is going on. Situations like this definitely bring out the best (And worst) in people.

KyleH

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Please don't overlook the other medical professionals working on the frontlines here. Particularly EMTs and paramedics - who are responding to an increasing number of calls - without the knowledge of what they're walking into and whether every patient they treat could be carrying the virus. Many are also being asked to reuse PPE or manage limited quantities of masks.

NYT: Last Week One Paramedic Was Infected. Now Over 150 Are in Quarantine.

If EMS workers are constrained it too will have a cascading impact on our emergency response capabilities.

SirCheese

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Thank you to all the medical professionals. My wife is having urgent surgery on Monday to remove a mass in her abdomen. But before she could do that had to get tested for Covid-19, which came back negative. The people working at the lab and hospital were really helpful to process the swab as a rush and we got the results back within 48 hours. Otherwise it would have taken up to 5 days.

Even in this crisis they are professional and kind , with the pressures that are on them. Can't thank them enough.