• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Again, people will complain that 4 is too little. You can never satisfy the people here. I agree with the view that you should not have to wear a mask if you're not sick. There is simply not enough supply to go around - even during periods without such a crisis.
Even if you're not sick, if you visit hospitals and work in environments where you might encounter people who are unwell and aren't wearing masks, it would be good to wear one. You can also reuse a personal mask that isn't soiled as long as you take care in how you remove and put it on, and have a container/bag for it. Obviously, if someone ran up to you and coughed into the mask, dispose! Haha.

Fina1e

Oct 27, 2017
Went to the hospital here in Taiwan to get a health check, and it's mandatory to wear a mask inside or they wont let you in. If you didn't bring one they will literally make you purchase one right then and there.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Again, people will complain that 4 is too little. You can never satisfy the people here. I agree with the view that you should not have to wear a mask if you're not sick. There is simply not enough supply to go around - even during periods without such a crisis.
The tricky part is that you don't know if you are sick. You could carry the virus without any symptom for up to 14 days as they say

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
eilzdkorvfd41.png

Meanwhile seasoned medical professionals in Sydney are apparently falling for shit and sharing it in the droves.
(The Bureau of Diseaseology, really bro)
Let's please stop fearmongering.

"Bureau of diseasology"

I can't...
But seriously, stop spreading FUD (not you, the original poster).

Nov 1, 2017
First Confirmed case in India - an Indian student who studied at Wuhan Medical university.

"One positive case of Novel Coronavirus patient, of a student studying in Wuhan University, has been reported in Kerala. The patient has tested positive for Novel Coronavirus and is in isolation in the hospital. The patient is stable and is being closely monitored," the government release stated

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
People panicking about the idea of it being in India but luckily it's in Kerala which has the best health care in the country, they just handled the Nipah outbreak.

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing that masks are sold out in various places in the US, I was expecting to see a bunch at the airport this morning. The fear and panic hasn't spread to North Carolina, at least. Practically no one is wearing masks, most likely because we don't have any confirmed cases in this state.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing that masks are sold out in various places in the US, I was expecting to see a bunch at the airport this morning. The fear and panic hasn't spread to North Carolina, at least. Practically no one is wearing masks, most likely because we don't have any confirmed cases in this state.

I suspect a lot of the sales are due to scalpers looking to flip a profit.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
The tricky part is that you don't know if you are sick. You could carry the virus without any symptom for up to 14 days as they say

Isn't the virus mostly droplet transmission? If you're not coughing and rubbing your nose on things, you're probably not going to be spreading the virus too efficiently.

My mandarin teacher has some Chinese teaching conference in Boston this Friday that she's pretty concerned about so hopefully she'll be fine, which I'm sure she will be.

No confirmed cases in Boston yet thank god. I have to take the T constantly for work, so if it gets here I'm screwed lol

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
Couple of cases now at the hospital I work at in Australia. It's being taken very seriously.

Mar 29, 2018
"Bureau of diseasology"

I can't...
But seriously, stop spreading FUD (not you, the original poster).
even just "Corona's disease" at the very top

like what?

if you're one iota a "switched on person" you'll know that it's "Wuhan coronavirus", and officially biologically called "2019-nCoV"

Couple of cases now at the hospital I work at in Australia. It's being taken very seriously.
Confirmed cases or potential cases?

Isn't the virus mostly droplet transmission? If you're not coughing and rubbing your nose on things, you're probably not going to be spreading the virus too efficiently.
Droplet transmission can still be from breathing and kissing and the like. And if you have no symptoms (which is possible for 1-14 days while infected, potentially), you might be doing all these things willy-nilly without knowing you're spreading it. Even just breathing on stuff, putting your hand on doorhandles, etc, could be leaving it.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
The media coverage of all this has been terrible, as expected - plenty of scare-mongering and a lack of accurate information.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if you're not sick, if you visit hospitals and work in environments where you might encounter people who are unwell and aren't wearing masks, it would be good to wear one. You can also reuse a personal mask that isn't soiled as long as you take care in how you remove and put it on, and have a container/bag for it. Obviously, if someone ran up to you and coughed into the mask, dispose! Haha.

I work in a hospital so I'm taking extra precaution for me and others , but I noticed when I wear it people behaviour change around me.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So i see most of the contamination story i hear are still directly connected to Wuhan, which would mean it's not spreading that much but i guess the virus went out 2 weeks ago and with the incubation period, we're going to see a ton of second hand new case next week, like.. a ton..

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Japan confirming multiple cases of infection without symptoms could be a very positive sign. Could mean there are many more people infected than the figures suggest and push down the severe and fatal case percentage to very low numbers.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan confirming multiple cases of infection without symptoms could be a very positive sign. Could mean there are many more people infected than the figures suggest and push down the severe and fatal case percentage to very low numbers.

Better to have a deadly virus with low infection rates or a less lethal one with higher infection rates?

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017

I would say that's a negative sign because it means that more people will become infected which increases the chance of mutation into a more severe form. Also, more people infected means that more will develop severe infections, maybe also an increasing number of fatalities.

"The virus has already likely mutated to acquire the capacity to "jump" from animals to humans and to be transmitted person-to-person. Since this is an RNA virus, it will continue to mutate as long as it continues to circulate in humans. Additional mutations as the virus adapts to the human host may make the virus less severe or more severe, or less or more efficient in spreading. It's too early to tell what will happen, which is why ongoing surveillance by sequencing virus genomes is so important."

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
my fiancé's company just cancelled her work trip on Monday to japan. Rescheduled for early March, hopefully everything's settled by then.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah in MA, I only saw one other person, an Asian, wearing a mask on Tuesday. I was wearing it everywhere Tuesday because I have a bad cold. :( I've been staying home since I left work early on Tuesday feeling like shit.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
No, that would be we have an emerging virus that would have similar transmissions characteristics to Influenza but 4X more deadlier in its current makeup. It could become less deadlier over time as it mutates, but basically we would have a more lethal virus than flu at this time.

And Flu kills a ton of people already with weak immune systems or complications.

Nov 20, 2017

EPhKl9eUUAA-i1e

Her pregnancy made her more vulnerable. Her doctors said her hands turned purple, then her feet. It was necrosis. It all happened so fast. After she was put into an observation ward on Jan. 11, I wouldn't see her again until I picked up her ashes 11 days later.

Last edited:

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm I'm supposed to fly to Hong Kong this sunday, but Air France have cancelled flights to China.
I'm wondering if Air France counts Hong Kong as mainland China or not...

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I work in a hospital so I'm taking extra precaution for me and others , but I noticed when I wear it people behaviour change around me.

I wish I could do that. I'm black and I've already been reported to my higher ups because they said I was creepy in a coat in the middle of winter.

I guess I'm stuck bobbing and weaving

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Ontario Public Health says 27 cases under investigation now.

Edit: Ontario update

67 tests performed.
2 confirmed positive.
38 tested negative.
27 test results still pending.

The positive cases:
Husband is in stable condition in hospital.
Wife in self-isolation at home (seems to be doing well).

All passengers on flight who were seated within 2-3 meters of the infected couple have been contacted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.