• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
bvL4r32.jpg

So damn weird.

Source?

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any studies on testing of animals in the areas of infection yet to see if they can carry/transmit?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Another great thread, this time by:

zkV91ei.png

Very helpful thread. Surprising to hear about how affecting h1n1 was. At the end of the day hygiene is paramount and washing hands is front and center. It sounds so easy but it's just not something people do nearly enough of and even when they do so many just rinse under water and barely use any soap lol.

Deleted member 26398

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Iran has closed schools and universities in most of the central provinces for at least a week but still nobody can get religious institution to close.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Another great thread, this time by:

zkV91ei.png

For some reason, I don't remember H1N1 at all (other than hearing about it a bit) despite being like...22 years old at the time lol. Did it not show up much in Canada?

Good thread. If this does break out worldwide, we just need to mitigate (wash your damn haaaaaands and use sanitizer). Hopefully mitigating it will allow time to get a vaccine going.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
The part of the thread about how the lack of paid leave for many makes people less inclined to stay home from work is quite depressing and illustrates why the system needs to change in the US.
That's something that could be the deciding factor in my currently-planned trip to Japan in April. I have the flexibility to WFH in self-quarantine if I need to, but neither of the people I'm traveling with have that same option. Might just be waiting for the inevitable Level 3 CDC alert now to call it all off.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, I don't remember H1N1 at all (other than hearing about it a bit) despite being like...22 years old lol.
I have a very distant memory of playing Lost Planet and hearing the news talking about it. It's weird 'cus I remember hearing about it a shit ton around that time but I don't recall any details.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The entire point is that there are a lot of unknowns about this, saying we know definitely what the incubation period is not true. Or can you provide us with it broken down by the percentage of patients exhibiting symptoms each day?

Maybe you don't know, but I'll go with what people at WHO say. You know, the people who are experts in the field and spent decades in virology plus are studying Covid-19 full time since January?
If you want to go with what local clickbait news in Bumfuck, Texas claim over WHO, that's your choice. Just don't present it as an objective fact.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I have a very distant memory of playing Lost Planet and hearing the news talking about it. It's weird 'cus I remember hearing about it a shit ton around that time but I don't recall any details.

I feel like I didn't hear about it other than "yeah, H1N1", but maybe it's because I was in uni and was focused on that? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Kind of feels like this virus may run a similar course, now that I'm reading up on H1N1? Not sure. Let's get the vaccines goooooooing. 🙏

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
For some reason, I don't remember H1N1 at all (other than hearing about it a bit) despite being like...22 years old at the time lol. Did it not show up much in Canada?

Good thread. If this does break out worldwide, we just need to mitigate (wash your damn haaaaaands and use sanitizer). Hopefully mitigating it will allow time to get a vaccine going.

The difference to the H1N1 outbreak was there weren't social media at the time, so the panic did not spread so fast or so easily.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's unsurprising and simultaneously frustrating that the outbreak could have been potentially much less worse had the local officials in Wutan been actually doing their jobs and trying to keep the public safe instead of being sycophantic yes-men to maintaining their position in the CCP by trying to maintain the illusion of nothing going wrong in their jurisdiction. (And I say 'potentially', considering the sheer size of both China and its population, a more urgent and more component response may not have actually helped all that much.) But people kinda predicted this shit would happen when Xi Jinping became undisputed central leader due to a party purges thanks to "anti-corruption campaigns" - ruling through fear to keep your subordinates in line is nice in the short-term, but when there are problems that actually need addressing, party sycopants are more interested in currying favor with the leader out of fear that if they report that something isn't absolutely perfect, they'll be purged like those before them, so by the time those problems are evident to the party leadership, they've already spiraled out of control.

In this case, you can see why nobody in charge of Wutan was particularly willing to start a public health panic over a potential virus that possibly originated in a sleazy exotic meat market. Considering the attempts to lock down spreading of 'rumors' by doctors, one can easily tell they were more interested in avoiding any social disruption than maintaining public health.

Anchelepizze

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
So, today a couple people were found out to have the virus in my province.
During the day I got messages from people in Milano afraid of people coming from outside to work and study, and then the first case in Milano was revealed, Torino too.
Currently at work and people are canceling their trips, mostly because "I know a person from [my city] and she/he said you're quarantined". It's hard to explain that I'm literally in the city, literally at work and for now we're not rotting in the streets.
Also, I went to buy some groceries and the cashiers were saying to each other that the number of people was even higher than before Christmas. Could be a joke but the shelves were being refilled constantly by many workers and some had their carts full of tinned meat and bottled water, ngl it looked kinda stupid but here we are.
Now the government is about to release some kind of decision, most schools already chose to close down shop for the next week.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It infected about 10% of the population in Canada.

IIRC it was mostly called swine flu in the media, so that's why you might not remember it. Also, the fact that it started in North America made the media coverage way more responsible than it is right now.
Though there was still a ton of fear mongering for profit, especially around vaccine availability.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
So, the italian government is going all in.
Journalist Enrico Mentana (one of the most reliable sources in Italy) said that the government is going to put the """infected""" areas in quarantenne for two weeks. The announcement is expected in a matter of minutes/hours.

On the good news side: the Spallanzani hospital in Rome succesfully recovered two patients out of three from Coronavirus. The third one, a chinese woman, is getting better and she's expected to be fully recovered soon. The italian medicine is a world class excellence in this aspect.

Last edited:

Anchelepizze

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Journalist Enrico Mentana (one of the most reliable sources in Italy) said that the government is going to put the """infected""" areas in quarantenne for two weeks. The announcement is expected in a matter of minutes/hours.
Yeah, it seems like the time for "voluntary quarantine" is over. Fun times ahead if Milano gets hit with higher numbers, that'll be hard to contain seeing how people are freaking out

PS: government is looking into how to keep paying people asked to stay at home, probably treating it as cassa integrazione (the money you get when your workplace closes for monetary problems). Huge step in keeping people mentally stable and away from danger.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember H1N1 pretty well, one of my friends had it and went through hell.

No social media at the time didn't make the difference people think it did because at the time at least here watching TV was still common, so the news were all about that, all day long.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017

On the good news side: the Spallanzani hospital in Rome succesfully recovered two patients out of three from Coronavirus. The third one, a chinese woman, is getting better and she's expected to be fully recovered soon. The italian medicine is a world class excellence in this aspect.
The situations is serious and of course serious counter measures are needed.
The bad (but also good) thing is that you really understand that something is serious only when it is near you. I say it is good because this way not everyone over reacts. For example, before yesterday, there wasn't panic about Coronavirus in Italy. I say bad because, when it comes, it is so sudden that you don't know what will happen. At least, in my case it is the first time I see such a situation here.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I remember people making a huge deal of swine flu in Ontario in April 2009 even though the mortality rate was really low

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
The situations is serious and of course serious counter measures are needed.
The bad (but also good) thing is that you really understand that something is serious only when it is near you. I say it is good because this way not everyone over reacts. For example, before yesterday, there wasn't panic about Coronavirus in Italy. I say bad because, when it comes, it is so sudden that you don't know what will happen. At least, in my case it is the first time I see such a situation here.

I remember the swine flu (h1n1) being quite terryfing here in Italy, but I was like 16 and can't say for sure. This is much more worrying though the death rate is in line with the 2009 pandemic if I'm not mistaken. Maybe being in contact with the news 24/7 is really throwing a lot of people into panic.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I remember the swine flu (h1n1) being quite terryfing here in Italy, but I was like 16 and can't say for sure. This is much more worrying though the death rate is in line with the 2009 pandemic if I'm not mistaken. Maybe being in contact with the news 24/7 is really throwing a lot of people into panic.
I was 14 years old at the time too, so of course I can't compare it easily to now.
In the meantime, I got a (not official) confirmation that also universities in Turin will be closed at least until 25th February, with the possibility to extend to the full week.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very helpful thread. Surprising to hear about how affecting h1n1 was. At the end of the day hygiene is paramount and washing hands is front and center. It sounds so easy but it's just not something people do nearly enough of and even when they do so many just rinse under water and barely use any soap lol.

My wife's a nurse so she's drilled into me good washing technique. But since all this kicked off I've noticed just how many gross assholes don't wash/give their hands just a quick rinse in public toilets.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
My wife's a nurse so she's drilled into me good washing technique. But since all this kicked off I've noticed just how many gross assholes don't wash/give their hands just a quick rinse in public toilets.

Haha same here. Wife's a nurse and I am always washing my hands. Not obsessively of course but I do it many times a day.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
It infected about 10% of the population in Canada.

IIRC it was mostly called swine flu in the media, so that's why you might not remember it. Also, the fact that it started in North America made the media coverage way more responsible than it is right now.
Though there was still a ton of fear mongering for profit, especially around vaccine availability.
It was known as the "Swine Flu" in europe. However, H1N1 viruses were often causes for great pandemics like the spanish flu.

I mean, I heard it in passing, both swine flu and H1N1, but didn't know it was so widespread. I probably just wasn't connected much to the news in those days 🤔

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
If it runs the same course as H1N1 then it'll be widespread across america in 2030 and most people will catch it at some point in their lives, since H1N1 is doing huge damage across america this flu season (it's Flu Type A this season) in 2019/2020 a decade after it started. I didn't hear much about H1N1 in 2009 when it first happened, but I caught it this month and it was hell but I survived.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

Friction is probably as important as using soap.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
29 cases, 6 deaths in Iran. Hopefully the mortality rate isn't higher than we've been led to believe.

www.reuters.com

Ten new cases of coronavirus in Iran, two dead: officials

Authorities in Iran on Saturday announced the detection of at least 10 new cases of coronavirus and two more deaths, deepening a sense of public unease over the handling of the spread of the disease.
Not an expert, but if I had to guess, Iran probably has a lot of milder / earlier-stage cases that haven't been detected or publicly reported yet, so that 29 cases number is probably low.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait

The flight to or from Israel?
It was a flight from Tell Aviv to Seoul, and he's currently in Beijing.
This is the article this tweet is based on
m.jpost.com

Likelihood of Israeli infected with coronavirus has 'risen significantly'

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced that he would hold a meeting about the coronavirus in the Health Ministry's "war room" on Sunday morning.

That account is mostly a news aggregator, which is fine, but it has the habit of not linking their sources which is less than ideal.

Oct 25, 2017
If it runs the same course as H1N1 then it'll be widespread across america in 2030 and most people will catch it at some point in their lives, since H1N1 is doing huge damage across america this flu season (it's Flu Type A this season) in 2019/2020 a decade after it started. I didn't hear much about H1N1 in 2009 when it first happened, but I caught it this month and it was hell but I survived.
My boyfriend and I are visiting his aunt this weekend and she just tested positive for H1N1 this afternoon. 😐 I don't think most people realize how widespread it is now. I think it's included in each year's flu vaccine. Glad you're feeling better; my sister had it two weeks ago and felt absolutely horrible for a while.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I'm dying:

www.wcvb.com

Boston mayor formally asks Sony to reconsider pulling out of PAX East

Mayor Marty Walsh sent a letter to Sony's president and CEO after the entertainment giant pulled out of the gaming showcase over coronavirus concerns.

The Mayor of Boston has formally requested the Sony Corporation to reconsider its decision to pull out of an upcoming gaming showcase.

Mayor Marty Walsh sent a letter to Kenichiro Yoshida, Sony's president and chief executive officer, Friday after the entertainment giant announced Wednesday that it would be canceling its appearance at PAX East while citing fears about exposure to COVID-19, the novel coronavirus.

In his letter, Walsh said the risk of contracting the coronavirus in Boston and Massachusetts remains extremely low and that officials have no reason to believe that anyone should cancel their plans to visit the city.

The mayor also said that fears about the coronavirus are fueled by confusion and lack of information, which has led to the growth of anti-Chinese and anti-Asian sentiment in Boston and around the country.

Shut the fuck up Marty. They didn't cancel because they fear that Boston is a hotbed or some shit. They are worried about the myriad of international visitors as well as travelers at the many airports their employees will need to go through to get to Boston.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
No reported cases in the Netherlands yet, but some people from the Westerdam boat were allowed to enter Amsterdam without a health screening afaik. Reporting seems mixed, but Germany has been steady at around 15 infected and belgium had 1, so I'm hoping the incursion into Europe isn't any further. I live in Maastricht so I'm right at both the Belgian and German borders so I've been a little paranoid as of late.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The thing with Iran is it's very likely they have more then 29 cases. For there to be six deaths already, the virus would have had to have been around for weeks, maybe a month. Following the cases, you don't die from this quickly. It takes at least a week, usually two-three.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
So, prime minister Giuseppe Conte in Italy announced a two-weeks quarantine for the areas where the virus is spreading. They're even delaying any events taking place in Lombardia region in the next days (like three big soccer matches).

Mild measures will be taken all over Italy, like limiting school trips and events with a lot of people.

Honestly, I think this is the right way to go. It won't stop the virus, but it will surely slow it down and this is the most important thing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.