• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what the data is on hand sanitizers, but I heard that some virus who are in mucus do not get destroyed by it unless you bath them in the stuff for like 3 minutes. Also they contribute to bacterial resistance.

Water and soap are still the best.
Water and soap are still king, but there's been articles posted here that hand sanitizer is effective against this. Better than nothing until you can get to a sink.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Why Italy? Any particular reason ?
A series of unfortunate circumstances happened. A man returned from China, totally asympthomatic, passed it to a friend of him during a dinner. This friend is socially active, both in his free time and work, so he passed it to a large number of other peoples. And when he was found out, he was just the tip of the icerberg.

Now I just received the news that in Turin the rector of the university where I work is considering to close the university until Wednesday, alongside with other two universities in Piemonte.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully NK gets over themselves and accepts help.
There are international humanitarian bodies working in North Korea, including in the healthcare sector.
Obviously, North Korea can decide to kick them out at any point, but right now, what prevent more international aid is the sanctions, which is why the red cross is asking for an exemption.

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the current feel there from the masses? Are they generally pissed off at the government?
Oh yeah, they are. From the multiple protests and it's casualties to the low participation rate in last week's election (despite what the mullahs say). The overall condition of the country is better described as FUBAR.
And get this, one of the higher-ups in Tehran municipality is suspected to be infected and at least one the people who are in contact with this guy has had a meeting with J. Zarif the foreign minister of IR recently. So things are going to be interesting in the next couple of weeks.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what the data is on hand sanitizers, but I heard that some virus who are in mucus do not get destroyed by it unless you bath them in the stuff for like 3 minutes. Also they contribute to bacterial resistance.

Water and soap are still the best.

Per the CDC -

Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.​
If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.​

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
A man returned from China, totally asympthomatic, passed it to a friend of him during a dinner. This friend is socially active, both in his free time
Patient zero never had the COVID-19.

"Quanto al presunto "paziente zero", il manager di ritorno dalla Cina, si è scoperto che non ha mail avuto il coronavirus. Dai test effettuati sull'amico del 38enne di Codogno (il paziente 1) che era stato a cena con lui dopo esser tornato dalla Cina, "è emerso che non ha sviluppato gli anticorpi", ha spiegato in serata il viceministro della Salute Pierpaolo Sileri. "L'uomo era già risultato negativo al primo test per il coronavirus. Dunque, non è partita da lui la diffusione del virus nel lodigiano."

www.repubblica.it

Coronavirus: salgono a due le vittime italiane, 76 contagiati, casi a Milano e Torino

Oggi è deceduta una donna di 75 anni di Casalpusterlengo. E il presunto paziente zero di Codogno si scopre che non ha mai avuto il virus

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Patient zero never had the COVID-19.

"Quanto al presunto "paziente zero", il manager di ritorno dalla Cina, si è scoperto che non ha mail avuto il coronavirus. Dai test effettuati sull'amico del 38enne di Codogno (il paziente 1) che era stato a cena con lui dopo esser tornato dalla Cina, "è emerso che non ha sviluppato gli anticorpi", ha spiegato in serata il viceministro della Salute Pierpaolo Sileri. "L'uomo era già risultato negativo al primo test per il coronavirus. Dunque, non è partita da lui la diffusione del virus nel lodigiano."

www.repubblica.it

Coronavirus: salgono a due le vittime italiane, 76 contagiati, casi a Milano e Torino

Oggi è deceduta una donna di 75 anni di Casalpusterlengo. E il presunto paziente zero di Codogno si scopre che non ha mai avuto il virus

Yes I have listened it to the newscast just now. At this point, who is "patient zero"? The "patient one", for the Lombardia's cases, is the 38-year-old man, but at this point no one knows how he got it and it becomes even more difficult to identify all the subjects in risk.

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I have listened it to the newscast just now. At this point, who is "patient zero"? The "patient one", for the Lombardia's cases, is the 38-year-old man, but at this point no one knows how he got it and it becomes even more difficult to identify all the subjects in risk.
Sure, now it's all far more complicated.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen this reported elsewhere yet (maybe I missed it?), but it looks like the CDC raised the Japan travel alert level to level 2:

Japan - Traveler view | Travelers' Health | CDC

Official U.S. government health recommendations for traveling. Provided by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Same with South Korea:

South Korea - Traveler view | Travelers' Health | CDC

Official U.S. government health recommendations for traveling. Provided by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I haven't seen this reported elsewhere yet (maybe I missed it?), but it looks like the CDC raised the Japan travel alert level to level 2:

Same with South Korea:

Wow man. That escalated pretty damn quickly. It was set to Level 1 just a couple of days ago. Thanks for sharing.

Japan:

z4W24GJ.png

SoK:

GoKuQwe.png

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

Same with South Korea:

Thank you for posting, this was NOT posted here yet.

Fuckin yikes.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Wow man. That escalated pretty damn quickly. It was set to Level 1 just a couple of days ago. Thanks for sharing.

z4W24GJ.png
For what it's worth, Japan was already at level 2 for that Rubella outbreak in January. I'm just surprised that they don't have anything for Italy or Iran at all yet, but that's been moving fast in the last 24 hours.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
For what it's worth, Japan was already at level 2 for that Rubella outbreak in January. I'm just surprised that they don't have anything for Italy or Iran at all yet, but that's been moving fast in the last 24 hours.

Sure, though there's a caveat: we can effectively get vaccinated against Rubella. Again, thank you for sharing that update. None of us saw that coming.

Btw, I just went to check and you're right: there's no warning for Iran or Italy yet. I suppose they're going to address that later?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
By the way, have they ultimately defined how this virus started? Was it the wet market?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but rubella has a widely-available vaccine. That alert would only apply to people who cannot get the vaccine for health reasons or stupid anti-vaxxers.

This alert applies to all.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
What did I say? Seriously asking. I'm not fear mongering—it's simple math. Unknown incubation+R0+time.

It doesn't have unknown incubation or R0, that's for one.
But it's how you worded it, yelling "it cannot be stopped, we all gonna die" helps nothing and no one. Multiple people ITT expressed anxiety, I understand the news are predominantly not good, but if you have nothing else than panicked screaming to share, maybe practice a bit of restraint?

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what will happen if it gets into North Korea. I can't imagine anyone infected would be well taken care of there :(

There was a piece about this on NPR about a week ago, saying that even as North Korea is announcing that they have no coronavirus and never will because of The Great Leader etc., South Korean doctors who maintain a back channel with North Korean doctors have been getting requests for supplies, without explanation, that suggest that the coronavirus is already in NK or that they expect an outbreak to be imminent.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is shit like this not bannable under the discussion rules

Here are so many posts like that. The only lasting thing will be this topic, with probably 99.9% users unaffected by the whole story. Maybe some can look back in the future and keep their upcoming posts in check. But... I had the same hope after the WW3-topic and look how this topic here turned out.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
But it's how you worded it, yelling "it cannot be stopped, we all gonna die" helps nothing and no one. Multiple people ITT expressed anxiety, I understand the news are predominantly not good, but if you have nothing else than panicked screaming to share, maybe practice a bit of restraint?
So what is the incubation time?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What did I say? Seriously asking. I'm not fear mongering—it's simple math. Unknown incubation+R0+time.
Mathematical modelling of epidemics is anything but simple, and considering you are arriving at a conclusion which is very different than pretty much every expert in the field, maybe you should talk with slightly less confidence.

Stop fucking tone policing, you've been doing this for a long time now, that's enough.
I don't think it's tone policing to point out that saying things like - "By summer, COVID we be everywhere; there is no stopping it" is not the most responsible thing to do right now.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
Well I mean you could Google it or visit the WHO site yourself, but sure, here you go (and it has links to relevant resources for all the info, too):
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-incubation-period/
The WHO says
The incubation period is the time between infection and the onset of clinical symptoms of disease. Current estimates of the incubation period range from 1-12.5 days with median estimates of 5-6 days. These estimates will be refined as more data become available. Based on information from other coronavirus diseases, such as MERS and SARS, the incubation period of 2019-nCoV could be up to 14 days. WHO recommends that the follow-up of contacts of confirmed cases is 14 days.
The CDC says
The incubation period is estimated at ~5 days (95% confidence interval, 4 to 7 days). [1] Some studies have estimated a wider range for the incubation period; data for human infection with other coronaviruses (e.g. MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV) suggest that the incubation period may range from 2-14 days.

And yet China says
BEIJING — Scientists were studying a case in China that suggested the incubation period for coronavirus could be longer than 14 days, potentially casting doubt on current quarantine criteria even as the epidemic moved into new regions.
The potential for a longer incubation period was linked to a patient in China's Hubei Province, where the virus was first detected in December. A 70-year-old man was infected with coronavirus, but did not show symptoms until 27 days later, the local government reported.
Among the new cases discovered Friday were a 70-year-old man in Hubei who was confirmed as infected after 27 days in isolation, while a man in Jiangxi province tested positive after 14 days of centralized quarantine and five days of isolation at home. On Thursday, authorities reported that a man in Hubei had tested positive for coronavirus after what appeared to be a 38-day incubation period with no symptoms.

That does not seem like the incubation period is known to me.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's tone policing to point out that saying things like - "By summer, COVID we be everywhere; there is no stopping it" is not the most responsible thing to do right now.

Burying your head in the sand will help with jack shit either. I remember people in this thread early on cheering that they would get cheaper flights to Japan due to the "hysteria", how did that go?

All the dumbasses comparing this to the regular flu too, when it was clear that we weren't dealing with the same thing.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I never said anything about death, nor was I panicking. Thus far, COVID hasn't shown itself to be the kind of killer virus you've insinuated I made it out to be—I did nothing of the sort, and I apologize if it read that way. I've edited my original message.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Burying your head in the sand will help with jack shit either. I remember people in this thread early on cheering that they would get cheaper flights to Japan due to the "hysteria", how did that go?

All the dumbasses comparing this to the regular flu too, when it was clear that we weren't dealing with the same thing.
What part of my post do you think constitutes "burying my head in the sand"?
I am pretty sure I didn't mention Japan or the regular flu.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
That's because you don't know what "outlier" means, perhaps.
So what percentage of cases are these outliers?

It almost like this is a new virus with lots of unknowns. 1 out of 6 is not much of an outlier.
But a study of six family members infected with the virus, published Friday in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), revealed that one patient's incubation period was 19 days long.
www.businessinsider.com

2 studies of coronavirus patients suggest the disease's incubation period could be longer than the standard quarantine period of 14 days

The novel coronavirus that originated in Wuhan, China, has killed at least 2,250 people and infected more than 76,000 people in about eight weeks.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
In Veneto and Lombardia, all universities will be closed for one week, to contain the outbreaks. Let's see in Piemonte now

Status
Not open for further replies.