• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This is a good site to follow for info relating to COVID-19 (cases, deaths, CFR, recoveries, more).

www.worldometers.info

COVID Live - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Live statistics and coronavirus news tracking the number of confirmed cases, recovered patients, tests, and death toll due to the COVID-19 coronavirus from Wuhan, China. Coronavirus counter with new cases, deaths, and number of tests per 1 Million population. Historical data and info. Daily...

Do you guys think it would be appropriate to update the Thread Title once/when the WHO decides to declare this a pandemic? We seem to be about to enter that stage in a matter of days or weeks. Hard to tell when they'll make the call, but it's starting to take off in multiple regions now.

I think so yes.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
This is a good site to follow for info relating to COVID-19 (cases, deaths, CFR, recoveries, more).

www.worldometers.info

COVID Live - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Live statistics and coronavirus news tracking the number of confirmed cases, recovered patients, tests, and death toll due to the COVID-19 coronavirus from Wuhan, China. Coronavirus counter with new cases, deaths, and number of tests per 1 Million population. Historical data and info. Daily...

I think so yes.

Wow man, thank you for sharing that site. Never seen it before. Also:

jyTiIDz.png

It's taking off outside China.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yea, most likely due to Iran, South Korea, Japan becoming epidemics. Italy maybe as well.

Worldometers tracks a lot of info. For example you can see Canada's birth rate in close to real time. It's nice to see them have a section on the coronavirus.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
First Coronavirus case in Piemonte, too. 13 people are going under test.

For me it is even more worrisome, since I go to Turin everyday with public transports and I work in an university where thousands of people come everyday.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
This escalation is getting worrisome. Hopefully a cure can be found soon.

So I will admit to being quite ignorant on this situation since it seems to be progressing much faster. But in comparison to the last big one, Ebola (unless I'm missing one), this is spreading at a far faster rate, right?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think it would be appropriate to update the Thread Title once/when the WHO decides to declare this a pandemic? We seem to be about to enter that stage in a matter of days or weeks. Hard to tell when they'll make the call, but it's starting to take off in multiple regions now.
Considering how many on ERA don't take this seriously and still break out the stupid as shit flu comparisons? Yes, absolutely.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I will admit to being quite ignorant on this situation since it seems to be progressing much faster. But in comparison to the last big one, Ebola (unless I'm missing one), this is spreading at a far faster rate, right?

Ebola is always an issue due to it being incredibly difficult to treat and high fatality.

Coronavirus seems to be MUCH more contagious and spread while showing zero symptoms. There are more deaths and zones affected.

EDIT: forgot about Monrovia outbreak that killed 11k

Last edited:

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
Iran has me more worried than Italy right now.

With the long incubation time we could be talking pandemic next week? I hope it can still be contained.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been operating on the assumption that it'll eventually be widespread for a while, and just making sure I take sensible precautions such as being a bit more thorough with washing hands and no face touching.

My biggest concern was my kids but that seems less of a concern right now based on the evidence.

I had thought about cancelling a work trip next week to Germany via Zurich, and a trip to Paris with my wife in April, but this could last years so I'm not going to put my entire life on hold.

Panicking or worrying isn't going to be useful, so being sensible and developing the right habits is the right thing to do imo. Might also have the positive side effect of stopping my fingernail biting for good!

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Iran has me more worried than Italy right now.

With the long incubation time we could be talking pandemic next week? I hope it can still be contained.
A pandemic is an outbreak in multiple regions. Right now, there is only one actual outbreak, and it's in China. I suppose it's possible, though.

Last edited:

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I've been operating on the assumption that it'll eventually be widespread for a while, and just making sure I take sensible precautions such as being a bit more thorough with washing hands and no face touching.

My biggest concern was my kids but that seems less of a concern right now based on the evidence.

I had thought about cancelling a work trip next week to Germany via Zurich, and a trip to Paris with my wife in April, but this could last years so I'm not going to put my entire life on hold.

Panicking or worrying isn't going to be useful, so being sensible and developing the right habits is the right thing to do imo. Might also have the positive side effect of stopping my fingernail biting for good!
I keep hand sanitizer pumps in both doors of my truck. As soon as I get in from anywhere, I bath my hands in that stuff. lol

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Iran and NK could basically be overrun before they ask for help
Hopefully they ask soon before their healthcare workers are all infected/overworked.
The US has already stated they are willing to give NK assistance, but I doubt they take it.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The US has already stated they are willing to give NK assistance, but I doubt they take it.
www.koreaherald.com

Red Cross requests sanctions exemption for Pyongyang to fight COVID-19

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies has requested the UN exempt sanctions on Pyongyang to help prevent a coronavirus outbreak, a US radio station reported Friday. The world’s largest humanitarian organization made the request Thursday, quoting the IFRC’s...

Yeah, Red Cross too

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
There's a paywall for the Washington Post discussing this new route for transmission.

I went to look for information on other coronaviruses and here's what I found:

The routes of transmission of this novel coronavirus are currently unknown; however, other coronaviruses are mainly transmitted by large respiratory droplets and direct or indirect contact with infected secretions. In addition to respiratory secretions, other coronaviruses have been detected in blood, faeces and urine.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
www.koreaherald.com

Red Cross requests sanctions exemption for Pyongyang to fight COVID-19

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies has requested the UN exempt sanctions on Pyongyang to help prevent a coronavirus outbreak, a US radio station reported Friday. The world’s largest humanitarian organization made the request Thursday, quoting the IFRC’s...

Yeah, Red Cross too
Hopefully NK gets over themselves and accepts help.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any good news? This stuff is making me sick and I've not even caught anything.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
This one sounds really bad even through the autotranslate, worked at an geriatric health facility and travelled to Indonesia.

The Tokyo Metropolitan Government announced on March 22 that it has been confirmed that a male employee in his 60s working for a geriatric health facility in Tokyo has been infected with the new coronavirus.

The man lives in Tokyo and has a cold-like symptom on the 12th of this month and went to a medical institution, but returned home because he was not diagnosed with pneumonia, and went to work at a geriatric health facility on his 13th Did.

After spending 14 days at home, he traveled to Indonesia with his family from the 15th.

He has been hospitalized at a medical facility in Tokyo since he returned to Japan on 19th, and is severely dyspnea and severe.

The city is closely examining the route of infection, as well as those who are in nursing homes where men work, for close contacts.

With this, 29 people have been confirmed infected in Tokyo.
www3.nhk.or.jp

新型ウイルス 都内の老人保健施設職員が感染 重症で入院 | NHKニュース

東京都は22日、都内の老人保健施設に勤める60代の男性職員が、新型コロナウイルスに感染したことを確認したと発表しました。

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Is there any good news? This stuff is making me sick and I've not even caught anything.
In Italy unfortunately the situation is becoming serious and there are not good news here, we became in a single day the European country with the biggest number of positive cases, and the number is constantly increasing.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017

Researchers have:
- Modeled the virus
- at least two separate vaccines (one in US, one in China) currently in some sort of testing phase. I believe that animal testing will begin in late march/early april, and that human testing could hopefully be not far behind that?

Marvo Pandoras

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Researchers have:
- Modeled the virus
- at least two separate vaccines (one in US, one in China) currently in some sort of testing phase. I believe that animal testing will begin in late march/early april, and that human testing could hopefully be not far behind that?
Recent reports indicate antimalarial medicine may help the fight against coronovirus

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh I have friends going to the Holy Land in a Catholic trip and I'm picking them up from the airport

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iranian here, we're pretty much screwed. N95 masks are becoming increasingly difficult to find and they're sold at ungodly prices. Forget about hand sanitizers and some pharmacies are even out of alcohol. On top of that the government is trying to conceal everything.
Guess I'll perish before seeing the ps5... Welp it was nice knowing y'all!

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
Why Italy? Any particular reason ?
This is what one of the biggest italian news media (La Stampa) says right now:
"Furthermore, in all epidemic risk situations, Italy has always carried out more checks than other European states. And the cases counted do not always correspond to the real number of infections, which could be higher."

So we have more cases because we do more tests.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

May 26, 2018
Feels like we're entering, or about to enter, a new stage of this thing's life cycle now. In the words of that one Einstein-style scientist from Half-Life, it's about to go critical.

We need that vaccine asap

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Iranian here, we're pretty much screwed. N95 masks are becoming increasingly difficult to find and they're sold at ungodly prices. Forget about hand sanitizers and some pharmacies are even out of alcohol. On top of that the government is trying to conceal everything.
What's the current feel there from the masses? Are they generally pissed off at the government?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You're really best staying away from this thread. There's a focus on a scatter of individual news pieces rather than trends, so invariably things will look worrying.

Get out of the news cycle for a while, because all that will happen is you'll lose sleep which will make you more likely to be ill.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
🙏

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Furthermore, in all epidemic risk situations, Italy has always carried out more checks than other European states. And the cases counted do not always correspond to the real number of infections, which could be higher."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's gone quantum!

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Yes, aside from the doomsaying ITT, legit sources bring some good news:
Check https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/, where you can see some detailed stats and the fact that aside from these new outbreaks in SK and Italy, it so far failed to get any real traction outside of China, demographics, the fact that number of countries that had cases weeks ago now apparently have zero active cases because everyone recovered etc.
Also the amount of new cases is steadily going down since pretty much the end of January, as per the graph in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_coronavirus_outbreak

It could still pick up steam if Italy, Japan and SK bungle things too much, though.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They literally don't give a fuck

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017

Yes, plenty. Even made a post about it in this thread recently, others have made posts too. But this thread is becoming a bit of a mess with scattershot news, and guesswork. Best move away from the news cycle for now. People are panicking with some expected outbreaks, we are still far from a pandemic though.

Seeing and you live in Germany, you're good even if this gets worse before it gets better. However, and I stress this, if you know anyone who is immunocompromised or immunosuppressive, have respiratory problems, or old tell them to take extra, extra care.

Italy is going to get its ass kicked for a little while, let's see what departments and a population full of antivaxxers handle this shit. Fingers crossed the EU bitchslaps the stupid out of them and forces them to lock shit down and screen people.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Yes, plenty. Even made a post about it in this thread recently, others have made posts too. But this thread is becoming a bit of a mess with scattershot news, and guesswork. Best move away from the news cycle for now. People are panicking with some expected outbreaks, we are still far from a pandemic though.

Seeing and you live in Germany, you're good even if this gets worse before it gets better. However, and I stress this, if you know anyone who is immunocompromised or immunosuppressive, have respiratory problems, or old tell them to take extra, extra care.

Italy is going to get its ass kicked for a little while, let's see what departments and a population full of antivaxxers handle this shit. Fingers crossed the EU bitchslaps the stupid out of them and forces them to lock shit down and screen people.
I guess I gotta pay with my life for their fucking stupidity since I have respiratory problems. Fuck this shitty country.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I guess I gotta pay with my life for their fucking stupidity since I have respiratory problems. Fuck this shitty country.

Its fucking gross ignorance, negligence and makes my blood boil. I wont throw stones inside if glass houses, since I'm living currently in fucking brexitland, yet the response from the NHS and public health department, and yes even the cuntfuck gov, has been pretty spot on.

What enraged me about Italy is a lot if people are going to suffer greatly for needless, needless reasons, which can be easily avoided.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I keep hand sanitizer pumps in both doors of my truck. As soon as I get in from anywhere, I bath my hands in that stuff. lol

I don't know what the data is on hand sanitizers, but I heard that some virus who are in mucus do not get destroyed by it unless you bath them in the stuff for like 3 minutes. Also they contribute to bacterial resistance.

Water and soap are still the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.