• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Do we yet have any data that supports that warmer spring temperatures will slow this thing down? I can't see this be contained as is without every country with major cases goes into full China-style lockdown.
A lot of this is hoping it behaves similarly to it's cousin the common cold, which usually dies down once temperatures rise. However, with cases being reported in Singapore and other warmer climates, this might be questionable.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we yet have any data that supports that warmer spring temperatures will slow this thing down? I can't see this be contained as is without every country with major cases goes into full China-style lockdown.
Nope. Less people get sick with warmer weather, but the virus seems to be quite resilient.

China can China because CCP controls everything and can track most people with their phone/wechat. I don't think a major city like New York or LA is going to be able to do a full city lockdown like Wuhan.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
So I live where the italian small outbreak happened, things are a little strange here. Everyone is just talking about coronavirus.
You know what's the real shit? People blaming government for "caring too much about racism" instead of caring about the disease. They REALLY have to put their fucking agenda over everything.

People are afraid. Scared people do stupid and bad things.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Call me paranoid but I bought cheap canned goods that is enough for a month and some oatmeal today just in case. I'm not trusting my government with the actual numbers here in the Philippines.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Less people get sick with warmer weather, but the virus seems to be quite resilient.

China can China because CCP controls everything and can track most people with their phone/wechat. I don't think a major city like New York or LA is going to be able to do a full city lockdown like Wuhan.

Again i think people overestimate what China can do. There was no phone tracking it was just your low tech lock down.
Hell even in Singapore where probably the number of camera and tracking is only second to Urumqi the contact tracing was done with police work.

And i lived in Italy for 28 years, if a lock-down happen people will not revolt, some that think they are smarter will try to bypass it, but that happen everywhere.

People are afraid. Scared people do stupid and bad things.

Funny thing, most of infected come from an Italian national that come back from a business trip.

Last edited:

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Slightly off-topic (but not really), I was wondering if medical science has been employing GPU computing (especially Nvidia's CUDA) to model this virus.
I remember vaguely that the advances in GPU computing would benefit medicine in developing new drugs including new antibiotics, antivirals and possibly vaccines.

shounenka

Nov 22, 2017
Yokohama
Japanese government's mishandling of the situation continues to astound. They just announced that they "erroneously" let 23 people off the Diamond Princess who haven't even been tested since prior to 2/5 (the first day of the 14-day quarantine period).

Quite frankly, we don't deserve to host the Olympics this year.

Source:
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200222-00000089-mai-soci

Edit: They say that out of the 23 passengers, none of which had symptoms upon disembarking, they have already determined 3 to be negative. The other 20 have been asked to stay home and await testing (according to the article).

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
What's going to happen to Tokyo and the Olympics this summer if this isn't dealt with by then? Scary thought.
bvL4r32.jpg

So damn weird.

Bishop76

Oct 30, 2017
In Italy confimed coronavirus cases raise to 50:

twitter.com

Agenzia ANSA on Twitter

“#coronavirus 'Sono 50 i contagiati in #Lombradia e #Veneto, 2 i decessi' . Lo ha detto @FontanaPres governatore della #Lombardia #ANSA https://t.co/VwVKcUnrZy”

ExtinguirX

Nov 22, 2018
From 3 cases in Lombardy just yesterday, to 39 in the region + 11 in the Veneto region
And 2 deaths
It's quite a jump

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't they just delay it a year.
I'm not saying they shouldn't (or that they won't), but that would not be a decision to make lightly. It could be a business-ending decision for huge numbers of companies involved in tourism and preparations. Some athletes who have been training their whole lives to compete this year might not be able to defer everything a year and would lose their one chance at the Olympics. Neither of those thing would be worth allowing the disease to spread widely, in my opinion, but they are factors that will be weighed in that decision.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We will just have to soldier through, containment is not possible for financial and practical reasons. All efforts and money should be on developing a cure.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
One of the people who just tested positively in Japan went to Indonesia for a family holiday and came back a few days ago.

Japanese citizen on the 12th to the hospital because of flu symptoms. Healthy. On the 15th he and his family traveled to INDONESIA. On the 19th he returned to Japan and entered the hospital due to respiratory problems. Today tested positive for Corona virus ...

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
One of the people who just tested positively in Japan went to Indonesia for a family holiday and came back a few days ago.

Is there a way to scientifically figure out whether this person caught the virus in Japan before their vacation or caught it in Indonesia?
Edit: Nevermind, I see that they probably caught it before the trip since they were exhibiting symptoms on the 12th. Which means they could have spread it across Indonesia.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to scientifically figure out whether this person caught the virus in Japan before their vacation or caught it in Indonesia?
Edit: Nevermind, I see that they probably caught it before the trip since they were exhibiting symptoms on the 12th. Which means they could have spread it across Indonesia.

yep exactly there might be a strong chance he spread it around in indonesia wherever he went, Bali probably?

shounenka

Nov 22, 2017
Yokohama

You left out the part where it says the guy reported for work at the health care facility for the ELDERLY that employs him two days before going to Indonesia. Expect some more bad news from that facility in the coming week(s).

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Great, the cases in Italy are 1 hour away from where I live, people there already don't care at all and go out in the streets like nothing is happening...

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Iran will be interesting/scary to watch. It appears the virus may already be out of control there, and I doubt they have the means medically nor economically to deal with it.

Deleted member 26398

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Iran will be interesting to watch. It appears the virus may already be out of control there, and I doubt they have the means medically nor economically to deal with it.
The worst thing is the government knew about the virus for about a month but waited until after anti US protest to make it public so more people would take part. Also mosques and other religious centers are refusing to close while government is begging them to close as the religious nutjobs believe that the best cure is prayer.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus: US says Russia behind disinformation campaign

Thousands of fake social media accounts promote conspiracies and seize on international health concerns, say US officials
Thankfully I've yet to see that moronic conspiracy theory. I've seen the ones where the Chinese government could be behind it since apparently the outbreak started literally right near their chemical weapons facility - but nothing as braindead as the CIA being behind it.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The worst thing is the government knew about the virus for about a month but waited until after anti US protest to make it public so more people would take part. Also mosques and other religious centers are refusing to close while government is begging them to close as the religious nutjobs believe that the best cure is prayer.
Dang. Stay safe, man.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese government's mishandling of the situation continues to astound. They just announced that they "erroneously" let 23 people off the Diamond Princess who haven't even been tested since prior to 2/5 (the first day of the 14-day quarantine period).

Quite frankly, we don't deserve to host the Olympics this year.

Source:
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200222-00000089-mai-soci

Edit: They say that out of the 23 passengers, none of which had symptoms upon disembarking, they have already determined 3 to be negative. The other 20 have been asked to stay home and await testing (according to the article).

www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus: US says Russia behind disinformation campaign

Thousands of fake social media accounts promote conspiracies and seize on international health concerns, say US officials

Shit is basically at criminal levels of negligence in Japan. And per the latest new case updates, the number of new cases per day is rising at a rate of more than double what it was a couple days ago. What a disaster.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
It does seem to be that (like with any exponential function), when it takes off, it really fucking takes off.

Last edited:

xMM4nsonx

Nov 1, 2017
I'm experience a lot of cough and various "standard" flu symptoms. I don't want to call the national emergency number, but I'm a little worried, since I visit parents and grandma basically everyday. If my temperature will rise in the next hours (or the next few days) I will definitly go for a test. Ah, I live in Italy, two hours of distance from the first case reported.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I'm experience a lot of cough and various "standard" flu symptoms. I don't want to call the national emergency number, but I'm a little worried, since I visit parents and grandma basically everyday. If my temperature will rise in the next hours (or the next few days) I will definitly go for a test. Ah, I live in Italy, two hours of distance from the first case reported.

Please get tested. You don't want to infect your elders. They will fare much worse if they catch it.

Jun 20, 2019
From the summary: "we estimated that about two thirds of COVID-19 cases exported from mainland China have remained undetected worldwide, potentially resulting in multiple chains of as yet undetected human-to-human transmission outside mainland China"
Quote is from the Imperial College London, here:
www.imperial.ac.uk

COVID-19

Since the emergence of the new coronavirus (COVID-19) in December 2019, we have adopted a policy of immediately sharing research findings on the deve...

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Quote is from the Imperial College London, here:
www.imperial.ac.uk

COVID-19

Since the emergence of the new coronavirus (COVID-19) in December 2019, we have adopted a policy of immediately sharing research findings on the deve...

That's why the narrative between experts has slowly shifted from containment to mitigation. The incubation period keeps getting longer and asymptomatic transmission slowly starts to gain some validity.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Do you guys think it would be appropriate to update the Thread Title once/when the WHO decides to declare this a pandemic? We seem to be about to enter that stage in a matter of days or weeks. Hard to tell when they'll make the call, but it's starting to take off in multiple regions now.

Status
Not open for further replies.