• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Iran is pretty alarming as well considering it's spread from there to other countries. And considering they have 4 confirmed deaths the amount of cases there has to be much, much higher than confirmed by the Iranian government.
4 deaths also means it's probably been there at least a few weeks.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Few things to know about Iran:

a) The Iranian regime is incompetent as fuck
b) They never learn and their first reaction is to always deny all bad news and suppress them (as was with shoting down the airplane)
c) The situation has already gotten out of hand

I'm so worried about my parent's health.

Dec 7, 2018
What happened in Italy? This is taking off all of a sudden today...

It happened that some guy had the virus for days but waited until he was close to critical condition before going to the hospital to get tested for the virus.

In the meantime he had a pretty active social life so he probably has infected a shitload of people.

I live in Rome which is the most populated city in the country and my scared to touch and kiss my 6 months old son. This is so fucked up

Anchelepizze

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
It happened that some guy had the virus for days but waited until he was close to critical condition before going to the hospital to get tested for the virus.

In the meantime he had a pretty active social life so he probably has infected a shitload of people.

I live in Rome which is the most populated city in the country and my scared to touch and kiss my 6 months old son. This is so fucked up
I was about to say "don't panic, wash your hands and just get your info on the Ministry of Health's website but it's down now lol
www.salute.gov.it
Avoid direct contact with strangers and you'll be fine for now, we're in emergency mode because the dude just kept living his normal life just with a fever (happens all the time we have to kick colleagues away from the workplace when they're clearly ill but still think they could work, and on the contrary I've been asked to "please not go home for another couple hours or we're fucked" even with a 39.5c fever and customers to interact with)

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Italy jump in cases means they're hunting down this guy's contacts very effectively. It's not good to see it but the jump means they're doing a good job finding related people which is much better than if it hadn't gone up and they were out there unchecked.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
woah, so they're starting to whisper the P word....
I feel like the language from the US CDC in the last day or two has gone from "everyone be careful" to "brace for impact" but maybe this is how it normally goes for things like this? All I really remember of the SARS outbreak was being told "You don't have to worry about it" so I don't really have anything to compare this to.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Unless they consider Eurasia as one big continent, the latest from Italy/Iran should meet the multiple continent qualification, right?
If I'm not mistaken, the qualification is there has to be an OUTBREAK in those areas. Right now, the only outbreak is in China.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the language from the US CDC in the last day or two has gone from "everyone be careful" to "brace for impact" but maybe this is how it normally goes for things like this? All I really remember of the SARS outbreak was being told "You don't have to worry about it" so I don't really have anything to compare this to.
The CDC has stressed from day one that the US need to start preparing for a potential outbreak.
I have not seen them updating their risk assessment in the US .

I honestly think it's for the best to just listen to what they say instead of trying to guess intent from the word choices in partial quotes.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The CDC has stressed from day one that the US need to start preparing for a potential outbreak.

I honestly think it's for the best to just listen to what they say instead of trying to guess intent from the word choices in partial quotes.
this

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
This is close to "it'sfuckingnothing.gif" territory but Tokyo Disney updated the Coronavirus statement on their website to add:
"Guests feeling unwell due to possible cold symptoms are requested to refrain from visiting the Parks."

Previously they just had:
"When using the restrooms in the Parks, please wash your hands and use the supplied hand sanitizer.
If you feel unwell or your physical condition worsens while inside the Park, please contact the nearest Cast Member.

Starting January 28 Cast Members will be wearing face masks."

東京ディズニーリゾート・オフィシャルウェブサイト

東京ディズニーリゾートでは、遊ぶこと、泊まること、食べること、ショッピング、すべてがエンターテイメント!東京ディズニーランド、東京ディズニーシーの2つのテーマパークを中心とした滞在型テーマリゾートです。

Not willing to close the parks but just asking people who feel sick to stay home. Nevermind that many positive carriers are asymptomatic.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Disney: dont sue us, but we tak ur 💴 kthxby
Disney doesn't actually own the Tokyo parks, Oriental Land Company does. They just license it from Disney and pay them a small % of sales. Only parks in the world that operate that way.

OLC owns the Tokyo Disney Resort and nothing else. So they will be fucked if they need to close for an extended period.

Also the Tokyo Disney Resort is actually in Chiba, not Tokyo. So Tokyo's proclamation that major indoor events be canceled doesn't apply to them. But it does to Sanrio Puroland as that is in Tokyo and fully indoors.

I don't know why Tokyo made the distinction between indoor and outdoor events tbh.

Last edited:

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

I have been it just felt like their wording is getting stronger, but as you said that could be entirely due to their wording being chopped up like that.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Feels like we've crossed some kind of benchmark now that we're getting updates from places like Italy, Iran, Korea...

Australia seems to be faring well given it's proximity to SE Asia.
Australia implemented a full travel ban from China (all of China, not just Hubei but the entire country), including anyone who'd travelled through China within the previous two weeks, very early in the piece. It was very damaging to our higher education sector, which depends very heavily on Chinese students. Our University year is in line with the calendar, so students were due to start their University year next Monday, and the travel ban is still in place....

Of the 15 confirmed cases here, 11 have already fully recovered.

I'd expect Australian cases to jump soon though as a result of the Diamond Princess situation, I believe there were a few hundred Australians on the ship (or something like that).

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
I m a bit in disbelief but I just did some grocery shopping to pad my pantry with non prrishable food for about 2 weeks plus water. Even bought a n95 maskat the local hardware store. Even if I don't use it here (canada,montreal)I ll probably put it on when I go visit my girlfriend in vietnam late april (if planes are still flying) . I m not usually pessimistic but this won't end well

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
wasn't it 6 critical cases i Italy... if you look at chinese data only a small percentage of infected people go critical = alot more people are likely to be infected and are currently running aroud freely.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I m a bit in disbelief but I just did some grocery shopping to pad my pantry with non prrishable food for about 2 weeks plus water. Even bought a n95 maskat the local hardware store. Even if I don't use it here (canada,montreal)I ll probably put it on when I go visit my girlfriend in vietnam late april (if planes are still flying) . I m not usually pessimistic but this won't end well

You do you, but you're overreacting.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Far be it from me to complain about overpreparedness but I will put out another regular reminder that the mask isn't going to keep you from getting sick, it's to make it harder to spread the disease to others.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

I see no harm done at all. Worst case scenario: You're already prepared. Best case scenario: You got 2 weeks worth of food and no need to go to the supermarket for a while.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
any good news as of late?

I mean, it's not hard find it out?

New china cases and fatalities falling at a near daily rate while more and more people recover, Singapore that was rocked by this disease having almost as many recoveries as infected patients, cases in multiple countries falling and those infected recovering and beating this disease without any fatalities, governments around taking this fucking deadly disease seriously despite the snide remarks on here and whatever experimental treatment doctors and viral experts are giving the infected working pretty damn well.

That's without taking into effect the fucking quick breakthroughs the medical and research community have done in combating the disease.

Lots of doom mongering and fear mongering in this thread, which quelle surprise, is partly down the the usual era hyperbole and hysteria. From a purely interest point of view, the speed of how quickly breakthroughs are happening so this thing can be killed is insane. Medical science and Biotech has leaped generations since SARS.

Shit is serious, no doubt, but people are rising to meet the challenge effectively.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Has this finally been confirmed? It seems like even up to a couple days ago this was something that was difficult to determine for a number of reasons and the evidence for which is shaky at best
I mean it sure seems like it based on the people who have tested positive with no symptoms?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
First infection of a child under 10 in Japan, plus two children 10+. One of the kids is the son of someone who had been to Wuhan and previously tested positive. The other two are brothers in Hokkaido and they don't know where they got it at this point.

www.japantimes.co.jp

Three boys with COVID-19 are Japan's youngest cases

One is a preschooler in Saitama who returned from Wuhan with his dad, who tested positive earlier, and the other two are brothers in Hokkaido.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
How many people need to die before we can take seriously this situation?

If by "taking seriously" you mean stockpiling food, mmm, idk, probably more than the ~10 that died outside of China so far?

Edit: I looked it up, a total of 15 people died outside of China so far, and that's with around 20 countries having confirmed cases a month ago.
Yes, it's not nothing, yes, we need to take it seriously, but come on, it's not the fall of the civilization yet.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
First infection of a child under 10 in Japan, plus two children 10+. One of the kids is the son of someone who had been to Wuhan and previously tested positive. The other two are brothers in Hokkaido and they don't know where they got it at this point.

www.japantimes.co.jp

Three boys with COVID-19 are Japan's youngest cases

One is a preschooler in Saitama who returned from Wuhan with his dad, who tested positive earlier, and the other two are brothers in Hokkaido.

Oh wow. Bad news, but from what we've seen so far, I don't think it would represent any danger to them. Hoping they get through just fine.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
Far be it from me to complain about overpreparedness but I will put out another regular reminder that the mask isn't going to keep you from getting sick, it's to make it harder to spread the disease to others.
its still N95 with filter, a bit better if fitted correctly...which I probably won't be able to do if I need it loll still ok to have one at home ... maybe next time I move stuff in the basement my nose won't be full of dust
But yeah I agree I m probably overreacting, don't wanna rush to the store if the situation change rapidly though.

Everyone should have emergency food and water supplies in general.
Thats what I thought, i ll slowly use it in the coming months anyway, its not like we don't eat pasta peanut butter and cereal or beans

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Cruises are so cheap right now. Wife and I just booked a week cruise to the eastern Caribbean. Places like the bahamas and not Cozumel fucking again, $1300 for 2 people on royal Caribbean. I guess at least if coronavirus spreads it won't be carnival.

Status
Not open for further replies.