• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2018
I am not sure if the Kuwaiti government really knows more necessarily other than the circumstances of the cases in Iran being very concerning. The cases in Iran so far have no connection with someone from China (or even East/Southeast Asia for that matter) or someone who has interacted with people from China. The recent cases also sprouted out in Qom rather than Tehran and there has already been two deaths. Which given our current understanding of the death rate, that would seem to imply that there are already a significant amount of cases hospitals are about to further discover in Iran. I do not think it takes secret government sources to come to the conclusion that the five cases currently reported in Iran is probably a tiny fraction of the actual amount of infected currently in the country.
I hope it's the case - but look at neighbouring countries? They're doing nothing, unlike Kuwait

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, that's why I mentioned proper etiquette for if you HAVE any viral infection. Vulnerable populations don't have the protections that the majority of us have and we need to be aware of how easily even viruses like the Flu can spread just due to poor viral hygiene.

Something that's endemic like the flu could be much more properly managed if people had better habits about hand washing and/or covering their mouths. If the worst case scenario happens and COVID19 becomes endemic it will be more important than ever for people to understand how to avoid spreading. Of course, hopefully by the time it becomes endemic we'd have a proven and effective vaccine.

Either way, panic will only make the eventual pandemic worse. It's important to remember that ~81% of the cases are mild to extremely mild. If you live with or know a person who is more vulnerable or has co-morbidities take precautions now.
People won't take precautions if they keep being told it's just flu. People don't take the flu seriously but at least those who need to can protect themselves though vaccination.

People need to understand that this could be serious or they won't take precautions.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
People won't take precautions if they keep being told it's just flu. People don't take the flu seriously but at least those who need to can protect themselves though vaccination.

People need to understand that this could be serious or they won't take precautions.
The flu could be serious, and often is, but people don't take precautions or even get the vaccine.

People are pretty dumb.

Heck, I got the flu this year after nearly a decade of avoiding it and even as a strapping mid-30s man I was laid up in bed for two days.

Mar 29, 2018
Unfortunately, it's pretty much starting to take off worldwide. Wouldn't be surprised to have this thread bumping on a much more frequent basis now that there are multiple on-going outbreaks. Who knows how bad the situation is in Iran, but they're now making containment much more difficult.
A few days ago I would have talked you down on this, but this Iran development is seriously, seriously worrying.

We only need one or two more countries similar to Iran to have serious community-level outbreaks and things are going to get very bad, very quickly.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
A few days ago I would have talked you down on this, but this Iran development is seriously, seriously worrying.

We only need one or two more countries similar to Iran to have serious community-level outbreaks and things are going to get very bad, very quickly.

With the release of the people on the cruise ship and the Iran situation, it's only a matter of time before it starts spreading far more in the United States.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah. Countries are careful of China right now, but I am afraid the Iran situation will be a complete blind spot for rest of the world. I mean is anyone even considering travel restrictions to and from Iran? And monitoring travellers on those routes?

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess I am a bit confused. Most of the things I have read have stated that immunocompromised individuals or elderly people are the most at risk (and that makes sense), but see very few - if any - mentions of the very young.

As a father to two children under the age of three, this whole thing is starting to worry me more and more but I guess I dont know much about this entire subject?

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
So I guess I am a bit confused. Most of the things I have read have stated that immunocompromised individuals or elderly people are the most at risk (and that makes sense), but see very few - if any - mentions of the very young.

As a father to two children under the age of three, this whole thing is starting to worry me more and more but I guess I dont know much about this entire subject?

Children are at the lowest risk, fortunately.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Iran's healthcare system definitely won't be able to handle if the coronavirus breaks there :\

Meanwhile in Singapore, 1 more case, but 10 more discharged
www.channelnewsasia.com

10 more COVID-19 patients discharged, 1 new confirmed case: MOH

SINGAPORE: Ten more COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospital on Friday (Feb 21), including a DBS employee and several people linked to the Grace Assembly of God church cluster, said the Ministry of Health (MOH) in a daily update.Singapore reported one more confirmed case of COVID-19&n
Safe to say if you're to contract coronavirus, Singapore is probably the best place to have it happen.

covid-19-singapore-new-and-discharged-cases.png

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017

Very few young kids have been infected (with serious symptoms) from what I have read. Only cases I know have been newborns born with coronavirus because mother had it. But even they have been doing fine.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Iran's healthcare system definitely won't be able to handle if the coronavirus breaks there :\

www.channelnewsasia.com

SINGAPORE: Ten more COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospital on Friday (Feb 21), including a DBS employee and several people linked to the Grace Assembly of God church cluster, said the Ministry of Health (MOH) in a daily update.Singapore reported one more confirmed case of COVID-19&n
Safe to say if you're to contract coronavirus, Singapore is probably the best place to have it happen.

Excellent news =).

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Things are really bad here in Iran, government is pure evil and tries to cover and deny everything while we're getting many reports and pictures of corona virus cases from hospitals and doctors.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Posted this yesterday, but Israel was getting ready for 11 Israelis that had been quarantined on the Diamond Princess.

The country is preparing for the pre-dawn Friday arrival of 11 Israelis who have been quarantined on board the coronavirus-stricken Diamond Princess cruise ship off the coast of Japan since February 3.

The 11 include two who disembarked from the ship Wednesday after a final examination and nine who are expected to be released Thursday before making their way back to Ben-Gurion Airport.

www.jpost.com

Israel readies for return of 11 ‘coronavirus cruise’ travelers

The Israeli embassy in China helped Tomer Zevulun obtain the necessary permits for him to leave the region and return to Israel via Ukraine.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
If the Iranian government is trying to suppress news instead of tamping down the outbreak, then things are going to get really bad, really fast. I hope we can keep this thing out of the states, but at this rate....I'm worried.

Mar 29, 2018
With the release of the people on the cruise ship and the Iran situation, it's only a matter of time before it starts spreading far more in the United States.
Yeah. Luckily the US is so massive, by the time it begins getting a foothold anywhere, locking down should be easy.

Like, the EU and US are similar-ish in terms of population in size. And picture that here in the UK everyone is chilling, because all neighbouring countries are chilling. But if say France or Belgium got a community-level outbreak going, everyone in the UK would lock down out of sheer fear.

Likewise the US is made up of 50 gigantic interconnected provinces, so if it takes hold in one or two big cities/populations, everyone around will lock down.

Information is passed so freely and openly in developed countries, I really don't think it will ever take a good hold in the 1st world. Look at Singapore and what they've managed to achieve - that's the sort of pattern we're likely to see elsewhere in the first world. (I hope.)

The really worrying thing is the impact on second and third world countries. Egypt, Iran, India, Lebanon to a lesser extent... these places are not equipped to deal with a population being hit by a superbug.

Of course, economically and culturally we're all going to feel the impact terribly. This is definitely recession-inducing and is definitely going to lead to generations of sinophobia.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah. Luckily the US is so massive, by the time it begins getting a foothold anywhere, locking down should be easy.

Like, the EU and US are similar-ish in terms of population in size. And picture that here in the UK everyone is chilling, because all neighbouring countries are chilling. But if say France or Belgium got a community-level outbreak going, everyone in the UK would lock down out of sheer fear.

Likewise the US is made up of 50 gigantic interconnected provinces, so if it takes hold in one or two big cities/populations, everyone around will lock down.

Information is passed so freely and openly in developed countries, I really don't think it will ever take a good hold in the 1st world. Look at Singapore and what they've managed to achieve - that's the sort of pattern we're likely to see elsewhere in the first world. (I hope.)

The really worrying thing is the impact on second and third world countries. Egypt, Iran, India, Lebanon to a lesser extent... these places are not equipped to deal with a population being hit by a superbug.

Of course, economically and culturally we're all going to feel the impact terribly. This is definitely recession-inducing and is definitely going to lead to generations of sinophobia.

In my Scandinavian country, Chinese are quite well liked. I can't see this virus changing it even if/when it becomes a pandemic. My opinion is that any hate born out of this will come from people/groups that are already ..predisposed to that kind hate of foreigners.

I also think an economic impact will happen, but it will be slow enough that people won't associate it directly with the virus outbreak.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
gizmodo.com

Trump Regime Overruled CDC, Flew Coronavirus-Infected Americans on Plane With Healthy People: Report

The U.S. State Department overruled the advice of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), choosing to bring 14 Americans who were infected with the new coronavirus back from Japan, according to the Washington Post. The new report raises serious questions about the U.S. government’s...

The U.S. State Department overruled the advice of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), choosing to bring 14 Americans who were infected with the new coronavirus back from Japan, according to the Washington Post. The new report raises serious questions about the U.S. government's decisions at a time when the coronavirus, which causes an illness called Covid-19, threatens to become a global pandemic.

One of the U.S. State Department's evacuation planes was loaded with 328 Americans on Monday when new lab results came back showing that 14 of the passengers had tested positive for the coronavirus. The CDC's principal deputy director, Anne Schuchat, recommended that the 14 passengers be taken off the plane and receive medical attention in Japan. But Trump officials like Robert Kadlec, assistant secretary for preparedness and response at HHS, disagreed with the CDC, according to the Washington Post.

Kadlec, who previously worked as a special assistant to President George W. Bush and serves as a member of the Trump regime's coronavirus task force, reportedly argued that the planes that had been chartered by the government contained seats which could be cordoned off for any infected passengers. This news wasn't shared with the other healthy passengers on the flight, many of whom only learned about flying with infected passengers after they landed in the U.S. and saw news reports.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

This will definitely help push the recession even closer. What's most heartbreaking are the rising number of cases regarding sinophobia that have been occurring all over because people would rather be bigots and embrace needless fear-mongering over being a decent Human Being any day. Society sickens me.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
No

There are literally over 100k flights everyday and we haven't seen a significantly large increase in the number of new cases outside of China. This is the same reason why I'm keeping my April Japan travel plans(unless Canada or the US issue a travel advisory for Japan), the chances of contracting this thing is pretty low right now.

This morning I felt severe anxiety and ended up not going :(

Just couldn't do it. Could barely sleep. I let fear get the best of me. Disappointed in myself.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Maybe some good news for a change?

Coronavirus research 'breakthrough': US scientists announce creation of atomic map of virus

IUIkmZH.jpg

US scientists announced on Wednesday that they had created the first 3D atomic scale map of the part of the novel coronavirus that attaches to and infects human cells, a critical step toward developing a vaccine and treatments.

The team from the University of Texas at Austin and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) first studied the genetic code of the virus made publicly available by Chinese researchers and used it to develop a stabilised sample of a key part called the spike protein.
They then imaged the spike protein using cutting-edge technology known as cryogenic electron microscopy, publishing their findings in the journal Science.

"The spike is really the antigen that we want to introduce into humans to prime their immune response to make antibodies against this, so that when they then see the actual virus, their immune systems are ready and loaded to attack," said University of Texas scientist Jason McLellan, who led the research.
He added that he and his colleagues had already spent many years studying other members of the coronavirus family including Sars and Mers, which helped them develop the engineering methods required to keep the spike protein stable.

Their engineered spike protein is itself being tested as a potential vaccine by the NIH.

The model can also help scientists develop new proteins to bind to different parts of the spike and prevent it from functioning, to treat those already infected. These are known as antivirals.
"This is a beautifully clear structure of one of the most important coronavirus proteins – a real breakthrough in terms of understanding how this coronavirus finds and enters cells," said virologist Benjamin Neuman at Texas A&M University-Texarkana, who was not involved in the work.

www.scmp.com

Coronavirus research ‘breakthrough’: US scientists make atomic map of virus

The mapping is an important step toward developing a vaccine and treatments.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
gizmodo.com

Trump Regime Overruled CDC, Flew Coronavirus-Infected Americans on Plane With Healthy People: Report

The U.S. State Department overruled the advice of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), choosing to bring 14 Americans who were infected with the new coronavirus back from Japan, according to the Washington Post. The new report raises serious questions about the U.S. government’s...
This administration is going to go down in history, that's for sure.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

www.channelnewsasia.com

What make singapore so special? Do people there eat superfruit?

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Singapore the most expensive city in the world to live in? Their infrastructure is probably top-tier first world stuff.

edit - I did zero googling for this post don't hate

We are so advanced that WestWorld didn't use CGi for most of the shots filmed here.

YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring Staff Post with Regards to Conspiracy Theories
What are the chances that authoritarian governments are using the virus to silence dissidents?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

“Sanrio Puroland, a theme park in Tokyo which is popular with tourists and known for Hello Kitty, will be closed until March 12 due to coronavirus”
I am assuming this is because it's in Tokyo and indoors, and Tokyo canceled indoors events for the time being. I went there in 2001. Was interesting. My dad and I were the only non-Asians there and I might have been the oldest child there at 13.

Wonder what Oriental Land is thinking right now for Tokyo Disney....

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
The Iran situation is indeed bad, but expect some rapid deployment of Chinese medical staff, equipment or funds to combat out breaks in that region. But it will have a high mortality rate. China has vested interests in Iran and nothing stops the trade train, nothing.

Saudi will also send cutting edge equipment and highly trained medical staff to its neighbouring counties it owns. They seems to have learnt from MERS and set up labs and wards for any outbreak.

A lot of panic in this thread with the SK and Iran News, I can see why, but the case rate and recovery rate is consistently, at the moment, heading towards the right direction in quite a few countries. Is the virus peaking? Nah, is it being contained better and slowing down thanks ti action? Looks like it.

What make singapore so special? Do people there eat superfruit?

Rapidly advancing city state with open doors to tech and deregulation, with similar countries around it and a superpower backing and partly owing it.

Combine that with little to no oversight and you have a very impressive rate of advancement. But ofc the human cost if you are not rich is terrible.

What are the chances that authoritarian governments are using the virus to silence dissidents?

Doubtful, a few cases has dropped up in china though.

More likely governments will shut in and quarantine the infected until they get better, or die. World wont do much to stop that, not until a vaccine is made.

Like I said earlier, china will get this shit under control, but the human cost will be utterly terrible.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
gizmodo.com

what the fuck. If I was one of the other passengers I would find a way to sue the State Department or something. The fucking Trump administration is an idiotic cancer on this world.

Maybe send those 14 infected passengers to the White House to thank Trump and his admin personally?

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Countries are careful of China right now, but I am afraid the Iran situation will be a complete blind spot for rest of the world. I mean is anyone even considering travel restrictions to and from Iran? And monitoring travellers on those routes?
Well we just got our 6th case here in B.C. and it was a person travelling back from Iran. Certainly something to keep an eye on travel wise.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Numbers went up more than 150+ in South Korea because of a cult.

www.nytimes.com

Shadowy Church Is at Center of Coronavirus Outbreak in South Korea (Published 2020)

As the country’s infection numbers soar, most cases have been connected to the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, which mainstream churches consider a cult.

People reckon they were hiding the problem until it got out of hand (they are very secretive) and the super spreader woman who spread it to the other members refused a test when she went to the hospital with symptoms.

Getting slightly nervous because there is a rumour going around that the cult has ordered followers to attend regular churches and spread the virus so that people stop associating Shincheonji to the virus (more than 70% of cases are members of the cult).

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The Iran situation is indeed bad, but expect some rapid deployment of Chinese medical staff, equipment or funds to combat out breaks in that region. But it will have a high mortality rate. China has vested interests in Iran and nothing stops the trade train, nothing.
China can barely take care of themselves right now

elty

Oct 31, 2017

There are 100 other ways that can silent dissidents without taking 100 times the general population as collateral damage and make everyone else hate you more (thus creating more dissidents). Even among the conspiracy theory this would a very low rank one.

Last edited:

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
There are 100 other ways that can silent dissidents without killing 100 times the general population and make everyone else hate you more (thus creating more dissidents). Even among the conspiracy theory this would a very low rank one.

I think the idea is they make dissidents disappear and just blame it on Coronavirus.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think the idea is they make dissidents disappear and just blame it on Coronavirus.

China can already do that without needing a virus that is bringing their economy to a halt.

Rapidly advancing city state with open doors to tech and deregulation, with similar countries around it and a superpower backing and partly owing it.

By superpower I assume you meant China? How is Singapore partly owned by them?

Last edited:

elty

Oct 31, 2017

So a few ways to make someone disappear/die

a) stage a car accident
b) build multiple massive camps for "educational" and "training" purposes
c) create an artificial virus, leak it to the general public to cause a 50 million province under locked down, economy everywhere slow down to a halt, greatly drain your health system, kill a few senior official of your own party and make every other country hates you

Yea I am sure option C is easier.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
So two ways to make someone disappear/die

a) stage a car accident
b) create an artificial virus, leak it to the general public to cause a 50 million province under locked down, economy everywhere slow down to a halt, greatly drain your health system, kill a few senior official of your own party and make every other country hates you

Yea I am sure option B is a better option.

No no no, I mean, I think what Razz is saying is:

Is it possible that authoritarian governments are using the previously existing outbreak of COVID19 to make dissidents disappear.

I don't believe they are suggesting that authoritarian governments created the virus or have intentionally exposed their populations to the virus, only that they are taking advantage of the situation.

Which, I mean, of course it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.