• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Its getting worse everyday, and all I see on American news channels are elections stuff....

The coverage of the epidemic is not where its supposed to be. I thought that it slowed down since I don't hear as much about it as two weeks ago when its started spreading.
Theres a very specific reason why Western media is trying their darndest not to cover it, and its the same reason China has insisted on underreporting even as they have clamped down on travel of over 700m people - economies tank when shit like this gets out.

In the US, both the administration and right-wing media (as well as people who are invested in wall street) are highly dependent on the markets staying even. Reporting how dire things are getting with the virus is only a matter of time - this 2 week incubation period is absolutely nuts. These left-field cases in Iran should be sounding alarm bells at the CDC, and we haven't heard anything really.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
South Korea fucked up MASSIVELY.

I live in South Korea, the government have done a great job containing the issue considering the amount of Chinese tourists, workers and students that move in and out of the country, and Koreans who travel there.

The 50+ cases in one day was due to an elderly woman refusing her local doctor's advice to go to a major hospital to be tested and instead go to church where the congregation were infected, and also went for lunch with her son/grandson, who are both infected. Hopefully everything will be ok, but that lady probably won't be invited back to church or maybe even family get-togethers.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018
New coronavirus case in Italy reported a few hours ago, a 38 years old Who hasnt been to China but at the end of january he did dine with people who had just come back from China.

We are fucked.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
The 50+ cases in one day was due to an elderly woman refusing her local doctor's advice to go to a major hospital to be tested and instead go to church where the congregation were infected, and also went for lunch with her son/grandson, who are both infected. Hopefully everything will be ok, but that lady probably won't be invited back to church or maybe even family get-togethers.
FFS. This is why the just wash your hands and you'll be fine stuff is wrong. You can take all the right precautions but it can just take one person to do something stupid and this happens.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I live in Iran. I'm tired. I'm always tired of the situation in this shithole. But now I'm really scared. Our government can't handle this shit at all.

Is this a bad dream? I'm sick of it. I'm tired of everything.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, a buddy of mine on Twitter was commenting on this (in Japanese), so I decided to see what happened. A Japanese person who's been living in the UK for about a year now, experiences some both racist and xenophobic crap on the bus, along with being said they have the virus. They posted an English version of their friend's experience here:

I'm seeing Japanese users also discussing about this, as well as the perception of Westerns thinking Japanese in nature are xenophobic, and yet pointing out this happening as horribly hypocritical (which, arguably may be outside the discussion of this conversation).

Still, between Brexit fueling Racist/Xenophobic behaviors of the general populace, and this fear-mongering, it's leading to a lot of issues Asians are experiencing abroad now. US is experiencing a significant drop in revenue for Asian run Restaurants, for example.

People are absolutely horrible, Jesus Christ.

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
I live in South Korea. The past few days are NOT at the government's feet; they were doing a pretty good job containing everything all things considered. More than 2/3 of the cases confirmed are directly related to this one crazy cult church, whose members are actively refusing treatment and refusing to cooperate with the government in the quarantine effort. How do you control people who aren't interested in saving themselves, much less others?

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I'd love to know the story behind those cases in Iran. A few of extremely early cases must have traveled there for whatever reason then started a cluster, given we don't yet have any cases in a lot of western nations still.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Traveling to Macedonia on Monday, hopefully things will be fine. Don't really get many foreigners there, but if shit hits, the country being crap at dealing with stuff like this, it will suck big time.

Although with the amount of people there are in the Stockholm subway, the chances of getting sick here are far higher then back there, so hopefully things will turn out okay.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
The development in Iran isn't really that surprising. China is heavily invested in Iran's oil & gas production and other industries, so there's going to be a flow of people traveling back and forth from China. Couple that with the fact that (as far as we're aware) Iran imposed no travel restrictions or screening procedures, and it was probably just a matter of time before cases start showing up.

Hanuli

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
I'm worried for my elderly dad. If corona spreads here he might not make it :( He already gets crazy high fever from normal seasonal flu. Fortunately he's a very indoors person and the area's not very dense in population. There's only been a single case in my country so far and fortunately it doesn't seem to have spread.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
38 years old infected in Italy, severe conditions, he had a dinner with a friend who was in China.

milano.repubblica.it

Coronavirus, i contagi nel Lodigiano sono 15: i primi sono un 38enne di Codogno e sua moglie. In isolamento 250 persone

Positività confermata dall'Iss. L'uomo non è stato in Cina ma a fine gennaio ha cenato con un amico tornato da lì ma che risulta

I just read about that. Wtf, that's still very young to be on critical condition.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Dude.

www.reuters.com

Coronavirus patient re-hospitalized in China's Chengdu after testing positive again

A coronavirus patient initially discharged after recovering in southwestern Sichuan province's Chengdu city has been readmitted after testing positive during a quarantine period at home, the city's public health clinical center said on Friday.

Hopefully this means just getting better and then getting worse again rather than actual reinfection.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
South Korea can't catch a break.

Dude.

www.reuters.com

Coronavirus patient re-hospitalized in China's Chengdu after testing positive again

A coronavirus patient initially discharged after recovering in southwestern Sichuan province's Chengdu city has been readmitted after testing positive during a quarantine period at home, the city's public health clinical center said on Friday.

And that tweet is not the end of it.
Similar cases have been reported in other regions, the center said in a statement.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Cancelling my PAX East plans

You're not alone.

One day after Sony's PAX East cancellation, the company's PlayStation arm has now announced plans to skip a second major gaming expo, the Game Developers Conference, by citing the impact of coronavirus on its worldwide operations. Its exit from the March expo has company: Oculus, the virtual reality arm of Facebook, will also no longer attend GDC.

Jun 20, 2019
Multiple reports of cases where the patients had a meal with travelers through China in this thread. Just how contagious is this thing?

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
theres no need to panic, just prep. its the fiu, if your at risk, or are in close interaction with at risk people, take steps to minimize risk.

omark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Italy
The first three people have been infected with the coronavirus in Italy

The first is a man, 38, who is believed to have got the virus in late January after dining with a friend who had come back from China.

The other two infected people are the 38-year-old's wife who has also been admitted to the Codogno hospital, and a third person who went to hospital suffering symptoms of pneumonia after having had contact with the 38-year-old.

The 38-year-old man has been admitted to the intensive care ward.
He is said to be in a very serious condition, with respiratory insufficiency.

Last edited:

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Dude.

www.reuters.com

I wonder if it could be that he just recovered from symptoms but not the virus. They might not have been able to test him and just discharged him.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017

The first is a man, 38, who is believed to have got the virus in late January after dining with a friend who had come back from China.

The other two infected people are the 38-year-old's wife who has also been admitted to the Codogno hospital, and a third person who went to hospital suffering symptoms of pneumonia after having had contact with the 38-year-old.

The worrying thing is that they are supposing that the men could have contracted the Coronavirus after a dinner with a friend who came back from China in late January, so the period after which the disease manifested would be longer than what is belied to be. If so, who knows how much it spread in the meantime.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
theres no need to panic, just prep. its the fiu, if your at risk, or are in close interaction with at risk people, take steps to minimize risk.
As much as I agree with "no need to panic" unlike the flu we cannot get a vaccine to help minimize risk. However diligent hand washing and avoiding contact with public surfaces as much as possible will greatly reduce risks of transmission.

Importantly, if you do get sick, don't go around coughing and sneezing in people's faces.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It really is taking off now.

Honestly I think this has more to do with the fact they're going hard in hunting it down now. Every case found is a case taken out of the public, so I'm pleased to see them finding a bunch very quickly after being made aware of transmission and isolating them (though obviously I'd rather they weren't there at all).

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
The development in Iran isn't really that surprising. China is heavily invested in Iran's oil & gas production and other industries, so there's going to be a flow of people traveling back and forth from China. Couple that with the fact that (as far as we're aware) Iran imposed no travel restrictions or screening procedures, and it was probably just a matter of time before cases start showing up.

Iran's healthcare is also.....not good at all. Remember the country is in the midst of crippling sanctions.

As it was mentioned much earlier in the thread, countries with low or poor healthcare will get hit harder then those with better healthcare.

Iran definitely fits in the second world country category.

I expect the SK and Japan cases to be quite many in number rate but with very low death rates, and the opposite for Iran.

Nov 1, 2017
9 more cases in Japan, rising the confirmed cases to 100.

twitter.com

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

“NEW: Japan reports 9 new cases of coronavirus, including children, a security guard, and a government worker; 1 is seriously ill https://t.co/eUoE2b20hL”

First case in Israel. an evacuee from the Diamond Princess.

www.jpost.com

Israeli who returned from coronavirus cruise ship tests positive

Sheba doctor: ‘On our end, it is not a big surprise’

WTF? Iran's health minister says the virus may be present in all Iranian cities.

twitter.com

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

“Iran's health ministry says 'it is possible' coronavirus exists in all Iranian cities; there are currently 18 confirmed cases, 4 dead - Reuters”

Last edited:

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
So what would you recommend governments do?

It was a no-win scenario.

Maybe start by testing everyone on board and moving the non symptomatic cases to their own separate quarantine. The way they handled this is nothing short of a human rights disaster, by keeping healthy people on board with the sick they've made an already awful outbreak much worse.

I'm not even that worried about COVID-19, I'm really worried about how they will react when something worse comes along, can't afford to make dumb mistakes (like flying healthy patients to the US with the sick) then.

Last edited:

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I agree with "no need to panic" unlike the flu we cannot get a vaccine to help minimize risk. However diligent hand washing and avoiding contact with public surfaces as much as possible will greatly reduce risks of transmission.

Importantly, if you do get sick, don't go around coughing and sneezing in people's faces.

It isn't that easy, specially if you're part of the risk groups.

An inmunosuppresed person, or an elderly one, may take all precautions like washing hands and avoiding crowded places, but if there's an asshole that doesn't follow precautions, like the elderly lady in South Korea, you're still going to be screwed. It's sad, but the reality is that most people will still go out if they're sick, will cough and sneeze and give a damn around those around them.

While panicking does not help anyone, it isn't hard to understand those who are at higher risk or those with family members that could be vulnerable to this virus.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy

Told you it was just a matter of time... jeez... this is so depressing :/

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
It isn't that easy, specially if you're part of the risk groups.

An inmunosuppresed person, or an elderly one, may take all precautions like washing hands and avoiding crowded places, but if there's an asshole that doesn't follow precautions, like the elderly lady in South Korea, you're still going to be screwed. It's sad, but the reality is that most people will still go out if they're sick, will cough and sneeze and give a damn around those around them.

While panicking does not help anyone, it isn't hard to understand those who are at higher risk or those with family members that could be vulnerable to this virus.

Absolutely, that's why I mentioned proper etiquette for if you HAVE any viral infection. Vulnerable populations don't have the protections that the majority of us have and we need to be aware of how easily even viruses like the Flu can spread just due to poor viral hygiene.

Something that's endemic like the flu could be much more properly managed if people had better habits about hand washing and/or covering their mouths. If the worst case scenario happens and COVID19 becomes endemic it will be more important than ever for people to understand how to avoid spreading. Of course, hopefully by the time it becomes endemic we'd have a proven and effective vaccine.

Either way, panic will only make the eventual pandemic worse. It's important to remember that ~81% of the cases are mild to extremely mild. If you live with or know a person who is more vulnerable or has co-morbidities take precautions now.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
To get an idea of how grossly underreported Iran's cases are right now. It has the most deaths outside China, with only 18 confirmed cases. Compare that to any other country and you'll see the difference.

MKB5Q0Y.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.