• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
You know what makes this whole outbreak in Iran a whole lot more worrying? They have legislative elections today (February 21st). Tens of millions of people are about to go out and vote.
This is getting close to some Hollywood movie plot.

Wth is happening, how come that the virus that's originated from China now has a 2nd breeding ground so far in the West?

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Just a few days before I was hopeful because the numbers outside of China were stable, but this new development is disappointing.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never really thought about it getting into prisons. That sounds pretty bad, particularly if the prisons are crowded.

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Animals or lingering on products? 2 week incubating fucks things up bad for tracking it
To be honest, I think it is far more likely that is more due to incompetence on part of the Iranian government in vetting suspected cases.

Even without incompetence though, given that it is a possibility it spreads for a period of when an infected person is asymptomatic, an infected person could theoretically fly to a country, spend the weekend there, and fly back without any way of being traced and have spread the infection to the country they visited.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
With these new reported outbreaks, does that jive with the expected timeframe from a few weeks ago that this could really blow up if the 14-24 day incubation period was true?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
That is a bit like this thread. The first several pages have a lot of posts about it being "no big deal" or "it's not like the flu, derp derp which kills more people each year" and then slowly as the disease kept spreading and the numbers kept growing people took it more and more seriously.
To be fair, people here are random message board posters and Moon is an executive with near limitless resources at his disposal who is responsible for a largely populated country.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
A 29 year old physician in Wuhan died today after going to hospital on January 25, was given plasma treatment too.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, people here are random message board posters and Moon is an executive with near limitless resources at his disposal who is responsible for a largely populated country.

Not defending him, but

Forum poster if they are wrong they can just ignore it and go forward.
Moon decision if wrong will affect the nation.

Overreaction will do damage in future outbreak and hindsight is 20/20.

If he decided what the expert and the guidelines deemed appropriate he did correctly.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I keep entering this thread hoping for some good news but it's never good.

Unfortunately, it's pretty much starting to take off worldwide. Wouldn't be surprised to have this thread bumping on a much more frequent basis now that there are multiple on-going outbreaks. Who knows how bad the situation is in Iran, but they're now making containment much more difficult.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's both funny and stupid since Japan is actually one of the targets offshore.

547640181872918529.png

data

Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm not liking these updates.

I hope it can be announced as a pandemic soon so we can take extra precautions and measures to stop the spread any further

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
What do you suggest the Japanese government should do?
1. Set up temperature checks at major stations, malls, and other large gathering places.
2. Cancel or postpone large crowd events for at least a month, or until the number of confirmations go down.
3. Send alerts to areas with high probabilities of infection.
4. Don't fucking let people go home and back to work imminently after being exposed to hundreds of infected people.
5. Quarantine people in actual secure places.
6. Stop all travel in and out of China, and other places with high infection rates.
7. Test people who have no history of travel to china who exhibit symptoms.
8. Compel businesses and other work places to not to let their workers come in sick. Put penalties in place for companies that violate this.

This is what a start looks like. Let me know if any of this sounds unreasonable.

Last edited:

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's probably it.

It's both funny and stupid since Japan is actually one of the targets offshore.

It's actually common, among Chinese (as ethnic group not nation), i guess is more an Asian thing.
Discriminate again other rural chinese( in China), mainland Chinese (hong kong and Singapore) and then when they go abroad be pikachu when they realize that racist don't recognize them as the good ones.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In Vietnam: not many cases, but the government has closed schools until the end of February. There's also a new proposal to cancel classes until the end of March.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They have like entire units and hospitals set up in Seoul with full SARS protocol and hazmat tents, but ground-zero is in Daegu. Literally can not prep for this shit.

In Vietnam: not many cases, but the government has closed schools until the end of February.
Oh that's fine
There's also a new proposal to cancel classes until the end of March.
ruh-roh

elty

Oct 31, 2017
1. Set up temperature checks at major stations, malls, and other large gathering places.
2. Cancel or postpone large crowd events for at least a month, or until the number of confirmations go down.
4. Don't fucking let people go home and back to work imminently after being exposed to hundreds of infected people.
6. Stop all travel in and out of China, and other places with high infection rates.
8. Compel businesses and other work places to not to let their workers come in sick. Put penalties in place for companies that violate this.

This is what a start looks like. Let me know if any of this sounds unreasonable.

1. Totally useful for the majority of carrier who does not have fever. Less than 50% people who seek medical help has fever, and then you have the symptom-less people.
2. Cancel all large crowd event with only ~50 cases? Even in area where there wasn't any case?
3. Like where and how do you know they did not?
4. After they have a confirmed case, do they quarantine the close contact or they really just tell him to get back to work immediately as you said?
5. True, given that they probably have some emergency shelter plan for earth quake already.
6. Their economy is too coupled to stop all traffic. Stop issuing and revoking tourist visa would make some sense.
7. So everyone with a minor cold need to be tested? By drowning your health care system with unnecessary test you run a risk of letting the real one slip through.
8. Sounds very easy to enforce and it is against their culture.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
What measures would those be that we aren't already taking?

If its not already being done so, start putting more funding into quarantine locations and supplies at hospitals and more readiness for local/national awareness to the virus. To me when virus hits pandemic level its no longer a regional problem and thus can't be a simple matter of isolation anymore, you have to prepare your own local population for damage control since the likelihood is its not going to stay contained much longer to a simple region and thus you need to prepare how you are going to combat things locally. Right now they are so focused on regional quarantines while the net has already expanded, and we might be up to 14 days behind (depending on when diagnosed or self-quarantined) from other people potentially infected which in turn means those second step infections could also have infected other people already and no one will know till much later.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
1. Totally useful for the majority of carrier who does not have fever.
2. Cancel all large crowd event with only ~50 cases? Even in area where there wasn't any case?
3. Like where and how do you know they did not?
4. After they have a confirmed case, do they quarantine the close contact or they really just tell him to get back to work immediately as you said?
5. True, given that they probably have some emergency shelter plan for earth quake already.
6. Their economy is too coupled to stop all traffic. Stop issuing and revoking tourist visa would make sense.
7. So everyone with a minor cold need to be tested? By drowning your health care system with unnecessary test you run a risk of letting the real one slip through.
8. Sounds very easy to enforce and it is against their culture.
1. It will weed out some, rather than none.
2.Japan is nearing 100 now. And I'm talking things like Marathons, festivals, etc. stuff they would cancel due to bad weather or typhoons.
3.Nothing from what I've seen here.
4.I'm mostly referring to the Diamond Princess passengers. They were allowed to basically return to their usual. Considering there were hot cases even as they began to disembark, It basically showed the quarantine failed, and yet the let them out regardless.
6.They were gonna take an economic hit either way. Had they successfully stemmed the spread of the disease, they could have been back to normal within a couple of months. Now that it's spreading here as well, they might be fucked for many months after that, especially if people are to afraid to come to the olympics.
7. Like until recently, they have been turning away people wanting to get tested because they hadn't left the country. I'm not saying they should drag everyone with the sniffles off the streets, but if people are coming to them wanting to get tested, and they have matching symptoms, they should look into their cases.
8. Listening to authority is very much part of their culture. If the government is telling companies not to let sick people work, and bosses are telling employees to not come in or to go home, those employees will likely listen.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Something that was emphasized by health officials is that prevention of the transmission of the virus spread is too late, the door has been open, instead we need to shift expectations towards minimization.

cant find the article but ya.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018

Good suggestions. I think the Japanese government has done very little to this point, yet we've only had ~100 domestic cases (excluding the cruise) and a lot of these can be traced back to early outbreaks (the bus driver with the tourists from Hubei and the taxi driver's new year party on the boat). I feel like the government should do more, but at the same time it seems hard not to overreact and severely hurt the Japanese economy in the process.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Israel readies for return of 11 'coronavirus cruise' travelers

The country is preparing for the pre-dawn Friday arrival of 11 Israelis who have been quarantined on board the coronavirus-stricken Diamond Princess cruise ship off the coast of Japan since February 3.

The 11 include two who disembarked from the ship Wednesday after a final examination and nine who are expected to be released Thursday before making their way back to Ben-Gurion Airport.

www.jpost.com

Israel readies for return of 11 ‘coronavirus cruise’ travelers

The Israeli embassy in China helped Tomer Zevulun obtain the necessary permits for him to leave the region and return to Israel via Ukraine.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Good suggestions. I think the Japanese government has done very little to this point, yet we've only had ~100 domestic cases (excluding the cruise) and a lot of these can be traced back to early outbreaks (the bus driver with the tourists from Hubei and the taxi driver's new year party on the boat). I feel like the government should do more, but at the same time it seems hard not to overreact and severely hurt the Japanese economy in the process.
I feel not doing enough is going to hurt the Japanese economy more in the long term. The longer this goes on, and the higher the numbers climb, the more likely people are not going to come to Japan this year. Had they secured things at the beginning of the year, then yes, they would have suffered heavily from the loss of Chinese New Year traffic, and events like the Sapporo Snow Festival would have suffered, but people would feel more secure about coming to Japan later down the line, especially if infections here remained low while rising elsewhere. Having that reassurance is going to be important in determining if people want to risk going to the Olympics.

This entire episode has just made the Japanese government look more incompetent than people thought before. and events like Fukushima and how the government fucked that up still remain fresh in the minds of people locally and abroad.

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
Its getting worse everyday, and all I see on American news channels are elections stuff....

The coverage of the epidemic is not where its supposed to be. I thought that it slowed down since I don't hear as much about it as two weeks ago when its started spreading.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its getting worse everyday, and all I see on American news channels are elections stuff....

The coverage of the epidemic is not where its supposed to be. I thought that it slowed down since I don't hear as much about it as two weeks ago when its started spreading.
Just wait till it kills a rich white American or a drumpf supporter.
Fox News will go into overdrive about all the conspiracy shit about the Wuhan Lab.
I'm sure it's all ready been shot and recorded, ready to go

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like the Japanese government is woefully unequipped for dealing with pandemics which seems really bad in a country that has a bunch of factors that make any disease that does get there very likely to spread to a lot of people very quickly

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It feels like the Japanese government is woefully unequipped for dealing with pandemics which seems really bad in a country that has a bunch of factors that make any disease that does get there very likely to spread to a lot of people very quickly
The Japanese government is pretty shit at everything. If this does get even bigger out here I hope the people will finally take the fuckers to task for their incompetence. Abe and his lads deserve nothing more

Status
Not open for further replies.