• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Will be flying to Japan in April and staying there for about a week and a half.

I wish the situation in Japan was better than it is now, but I think I'm gonna stick with my travel plans unless something drastic changes over the next month. I will be getting health insurance for the wife and I though.

In Japan? How does that work

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Japanese school where I'm enrolled told us stuff like how to prevent to get infected, that we shouldn't go to the school if we don't feel well and they won't accept Chinese students until the Coronavirus problem is resolved. My dad is coming to Japan this weekend and will be here for one week, I'm worried about him....
Also, I missed two hours of class because of my social anxiety and my school panicked thinking that I got infected.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Meant travel insurance, which should cover any unexpected health related costs while we're there.

ahh be careful on that
As of February 3, 2020, both the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization have recognized 2019 Novel Coronavirus as an Epidemic. Many travel protection plans exclude losses caused directly or indirectly by an Epidemic. Please refer to your plan to learn whether this exclusion applies to you. Customers whose plan includes the Epidemic exclusion may still have coverage for a covered loss occurring on or prior to February 3, 2020.

In addition, for customers booking trips to China and other impacted areas, the Coronavirus became a known event on January 22, 2020. Travel protection plans generally exclude losses caused by events that were known or foreseeable at the time the plan is purchased. Customers who purchased their plan prior to January 22, 2020 may still have coverage for a covered loss for a trip booked to China or other impacted areas.

Coverage Alert: 2019 Novel Coronavirus/COVID-19 | Allianz Global Assistance

Please review your plan or contact us for more information regarding coverage related to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus/COVID-19.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
So apparently, some HK people on the cruise ship refused the charter flight to HK because they want to continue their trip in Japan.... really?

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
ahh be careful on that

Coverage Alert: 2019 Novel Coronavirus/COVID-19 | Allianz Global Assistance

Please review your plan or contact us for more information regarding coverage related to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus/COVID-19.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to scrutinize the policy further to make sure we don't get screwed over if anything happens 👀

Although this made me check my credit card as well for the travel benefits and it looks like my wife and I would be fully covered in case of a medical emergency, so I think everything looks ok.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
It's kinda hard to sift through all the media hype and what the truth behind it all is but it's looking like this thing is waning? Is that correct?

It's likely on a downward slope unless there is an unregulated outbreak in another densely populated country. There will probably be pockets of illness for months however.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Just heard from a friend who works for one of Britains largest Insurance companies and he has been told to self-quarantine for 14 days as he spoke to someone at the gym who has just returned from Thailand!!!!

Apparently all staff are being told to report contact with individuals who may have travelled to an area with any infected, they will then make a case by case decision if the member of staff is to go home, the company has apparently also scrapped all travel to London.

My company, on the other hand, hasn't even mentioned the virus and we have constant overseas travel and travel to London is nearly on a daily basis for some staff.

No idea which approach is correct, I just find it fascinating the way the two companies are handling it.
Plot twist? Your friend didn't speak to anyone at the gym. Didn't even go to the gym. He now has two weeks paid vacation. [NOTE: not calling your friend out, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone did that to get time off.]

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Will be flying to Japan in April and staying there for about a week and a half.

I wish the situation in Japan was better than it is now, but I think I'm gonna stick with my travel plans unless something drastic changes over the next month. I will be getting health insurance for the wife and I though.

Probably the best bet. Got plenty of time to see how things develop. I fly out next week but I think i'm going to cancel. It is looking a bit ominous at the moment. Cases continuing to rise, events being cancelled, policy of avoiding large crowds Etc. Spending a lot of money and want to see Japan in the best light possible and not something half hearted.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Fair enough but if she was having coronavirus-like symptoms she should have been isolated when those manifested. :/

Is it really practical to isolate everyone with a cold-like symptom? Even viral pneumonia was not that uncommon among the young and elderly.

Since many people have little to no symptoms, she could have shared the room when she was not showing obvious sign. So to be really safe you will need to isolate everyone. You will need an unlimited budget to build and staff a hospital like that.

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really practical to isolate everyone with a cold-like symptom? Even viral pneumonia was not that uncommon among the young and elderly.

Since many people have little to no symptoms, so to be really safe you will need to isolate everyone. I hope you have an unlimited budget to build and staff a hospital like that.
I suppose. :(

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I can't get my head around the Japanese cases. Seems a fair few popping up without any traceable contact and cases like the taxi driver that date back to the start of all this.
I'd have thought that would have led to an explosion of new cases by now but although they're rising the numbers still seem relatively low and mostly linked with close contact with known cases.

questionable

Banned
Jan 24, 2020
User Banned (permanent): Racism, xenophobia
I hate to say it but, it might be a case of most Japanese(Asian) people not being able to tell the difference between each other at the end of the day. If a customer doesn't do anything besides get in (with an app even) and leave, how would they know or even remember what non-japanese they encountered that day? If it was a German based disease and people in NY were put on full alert and random white dude takes the metro, would people be as freeked out because Americans didn't do enough to stop it, how could Joe Blow not notice?

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the virus might have made its way to Honduras, Central America.

www.laprensa.hn

Llega a Tegucigalpa primera hondureña con sospechas de coronavirus

<div id='DTElementID-21351297' class='QuickRead'>La hondureña estuvo de vacaciones en Taiwán y pidió que se le realizaran los exámenes preventivos. Fue trasladada al Hospital del Tórax.</div>

52 year-old woman who had been vacationing in Taiwan. Traveled to Honduras via LAX and El Salvador. Still not confirmed, but she is in quarantine.
Oh god, LAX? I have some friends in LA that are going to absolutely lose their minds now. Fingers crossed she's ok. ):

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Was reading newspaper and it said Japan (the whole country) only has ~1700 isolation bed to treat infectious disease. They have another ~1700 bed designated for flu. This seems rather low specially when Japan does (or did) not mandate MMR vaccine...

Last edited:

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the virus might have made its way to Honduras, Central America.

www.laprensa.hn

Llega a Tegucigalpa primera hondureña con sospechas de coronavirus

<div id='DTElementID-21351297' class='QuickRead'>La hondureña estuvo de vacaciones en Taiwán y pidió que se le realizaran los exámenes preventivos. Fue trasladada al Hospital del Tórax.</div>

52 year-old woman who had been vacationing in Taiwan. Traveled to Honduras via LAX and El Salvador. Still not confirmed, but she is in quarantine.
Wow. I read a follow up article and it's 48 hours to get the results, so we should know tomorrow, hopefully.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Plot twist? Your friend didn't speak to anyone at the gym. Didn't even go to the gym. He now has two weeks paid vacation. [NOTE: not calling your friend out, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone did that to get time off.]

Lol, yeah from what he has said he thinks a few others have already done that.

He's still expected to work the two weeks just working from home, which in his role will make everything take twice as long as he's a Project Manager so he is not happy about it.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Was reading newspaper and it said Japan (the whole country) only has ~1700 isolation bed to treat infectious disease. They have another ~1700 bed designated for flu. This seems rather low specially when Japan does (or did) not mandate MMR vaccine...

EDIT: Removed link because it's got "vaccines cause autism hurr hurr" in the article. Here's an alternate link. Basically no, it is not mandated, and there's an MR vaccine there, not MMR. There was an MMR vaccine but there were tainted vaccines in the 90s that caused a backlash and it's no longer administered.
www.japantimes.co.jp

Japan's backward vaccination policy

Citizens are being needlessly left exposed to infectious diseases.

Last edited:

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Removed link because it's got "vaccines cause autism hurr hurr" in the article. Here's an alternate link. Basically no, it is not mandated, and there's an MR vaccine there, not MMR. There was an MMR vaccine but there were tainted vaccines in the 90s that caused a backlash and it's no longer administered.
www.japantimes.co.jp

Japan's backward vaccination policy

Citizens are being needlessly left exposed to infectious diseases.

factcheck.afp.com

No, Japanese children are not healthier because vaccines are not mandatory in their country

An article shared thousands of times on Facebook claims that Japan “has the healthiest children on the planet” because vaccination is not mandatory in their country. This is false. Children in Japan are particularly healthy by international standards, but they are also one of the most vaccinated...

Japan has some of the highest immunization rates in the world,
according to the World Health Organization (WHO

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017

That doesn't sound that atypical. High-grade isolation wards aren't that common anywhere in the world, you'll typically only find them at the largest hospitals.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Japan must be sweating right now. If this shit will not get dealt with by the Olympics than oh boy. We could see Olympcis getting cancelled, moved or some countries like China banned from participating.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Japan must be sweating right now. If this shit will not get dealt with by the Olympics than oh boy. We could see Olympcis getting cancelled, moved or some countries like China banned from participating.
And yet, it seems like they aren't taking it seriously enough especially considering the stakes are so fucking high. This shit MUST be dealt with before the Olympics, and yet they're doing shit like allowing Diamond Princess passengers who last tested negative off the ship with no additional quarantine while over 20% of the ship has tested positive.

Jun 20, 2019
A report published in the New England Journal of Medicine chronicles two patients in Germany who were asymptomatic carriers with the ability to infect others.

NEJM said:
In this effort to evacuate 126 people from Wuhan to Frankfurt, a symptom-based screening process was ineffective in detecting SARS-CoV-2 infection in 2 persons who later were found to have evidence of SARS-CoV-2 in a throat swab. We discovered that shedding of potentially infectious virus may occur in persons who have no fever and no signs or only minor signs of infection.

Scientific consensus that the virus can be spread by asymptomatic carriers continues to grow.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I hate to say it but, it might be a case of most Japanese(Asian) people not being able to tell the difference between each other at the end of the day. If a customer doesn't do anything besides get in (with an app even) and leave, how would they know or even remember what non-japanese they encountered that day? If it was a German based disease and people in NY were put on full alert and random white dude takes the metro, would people be as freeked out because Americans didn't do enough to stop it, how could Joe Blow not notice?

You are trolling, right? Like, this is definitely satire?

marimo

Oct 25, 2017

If you have to start off your comment with "I hate to say it but," you probably shouldn't fucking say it.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
A report published in the New England Journal of Medicine chronicles two patients in Germany who were asymptomatic carriers with the ability to infect others.

Scientific consensus that the virus can be spread by asymptomatic carriers continues to grow.
What's more confusing to me than spreading without symptoms is spreading without the virus being detectable through testing

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think some soccer and races have been cancelled in China along with friendlies and exhibition competitions.
Overwatch League was moved to Seoul.

There is a big Dota 2 tournament in LA with 3-4 Chinese teams scheduled to attend in late March.
It will be interesting to see what happens when Chinese teams try to get visas and enter other big countries or how quarantine protocols are going to work for Chinese competitors travelling abroad. I think there is a 14 day quarantine coming from China. Are competitors going to go to Canada or Korea and wait 14 days then travel to the US?. There was a top Dota 2 team from Hubei province that didn't even bother to qualify for the LA tournament because they knew they wouldn't get approved for US visas.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What's more confusing to me than spreading without symptoms is spreading without the virus being detectable through testing

I might be reading wrongly but it seems like they were only initially tested negative based on symptoms, not with the actual test itself? The virus was eventually detected with the actual tests.

Two of the 114 persons (1.8%) in this cohort of travelers who had passed the symptoms-based screening tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 by RT-PCR....

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what the letter says. They found no false negatives. The "symptomatic" people just had colds or something. All but two people did not have the virus.
They found the virus in two asymptomatic people. They were able to "infect" some sort of in vitro test culture from the throat samples, indicating that it might be possible for the asymptomatic carriers to infect others. Stress on might since there's no solid proof. They did not show that the virus was shed, only that it was present in potentially infectious amounts in their throat swap sample.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I might be reading wrongly but it seems like they were only initially tested negative based on symptoms, not with the actual test itself? The virus was eventually detected with the actual tests.
That's not what the letter says. They found no false negatives. The "symptomatic" people just had colds or something. All but two people did not have the virus.
They found the virus in two asymptomatic people. They were able to "infect" some sort of in vitro test culture from the throat samples, indicating that it might be possible for the asymptomatic carriers to infect others. Stress on might since there's no solid proof. They did not show that the virus was shed, only that it was present in potentially infectious amounts in their throat swap sample.
Oh, that's a lot better then.

Jun 20, 2019
Yes, this is correct. Also, one of tHe testing methods, the rapid on-site test, is difficult to conduct properly, is known to have produced false negatives, and are in short supply. It's not feasible at the moment to test everyone with a suspected contact with the infection with either clinical testing method.

Without being able to detect transmissibility with detectable symptoms it may not be possible to contain the spread without some form of cordon sanitaire.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Wat?

Apt username is apt.

Status
Not open for further replies.