• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this made me chuckle

PRI_136862394.jpg

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): unsourced fearmongering
I always wonder when viruses like this one will cause a FIP-like disease in people.

For reference, I am a veterinarian. FIP in cats is a disease caused by a corona virus (same family but not closely related to the COVID19 virus).
The virus itself is very contagious initially between cats (only) and will cause minimal to no symptoms in the initial phase (mild diarrhea for those that do have symptoms).
The cat afterward then looks completely normal. Contagions levels drops but the cats are still contagious.
HOWEVER, 4-8 month later in 5 to 30% of the cats (depending on the strains) will develop a second phase of the disease that has a near 100% fatality rate. The is no cure or effective treatments (there is some experimental ones that show some promise).
The ones that do not get the second phase of the disease will have a normal life but do remain contagious (but less so than initial phase).

There is no good screening test for carrier cats.

It's an terrible virus and it would be terrible if something like this ever start in people.

Can you imagine all those people that do not die initially of the COVID19 but half a year later start dying? And then found out that they were contagious all that time? I hope this never happens but this is what scares me when new human-spread virus emerge.

Unfortunately some evidences are showing this is the case... I do hope the mortality is not that high thought.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
How does this delayed effect function and is it something that could realistically occur in humans?

I know there are numerous crazy conditions that affect various animals that can't affect humans because of our physiology
The second phase is caused by what is called an immune complex disease. There is several conditions in humans that involves this. It's basically a reaction to the antibodies that are attached to the antigens (the virus in the FIP case). There is currently no virus in people can cause this with high frequency in people but there are are cases of immune complexe disease in people that have been triggered/caused by virus (rare complication of certain viral infections). They actual use animal model of virus that do this in mice and cats to better underunderstand immune complex

Cilidra, was this really needed?
Sorry, just did emergency exploratory on a 8 month kitten this morning. We were hoping for it to be just a swallowed object but this kitten does have FIP instead. Probably has a couple weeks to live. Just was very sad afterward and just hoped people never had to ever experience virus like this.
Unfortunately some evidences are showing this is the case... I do hope the mortality is not that high thought.
SARS and MERS did involve similar immune reactions seen in FIP. So it's not an unreasonable thing to think other Corona virus in people could do so.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
The second phase is caused by what is called an immune complex disease. There is several conditions in humans that involves this. It's basically a reaction to the antibodies that are attached to the antigens (the virus in the FIP case). There is currently no virus in people can cause this with high frequency in people but there are are cases of immune complexe disease in people that have been triggered/caused by virus (rare complication of certain viral infections). They actual use animal model of virus that do this in mice and cats to better underunderstand immune complex

Sorry, just did emergency exploratory on a 8 month kitten this morning. We were hoping for it to be just a swallowed object but this kitten does have FIP instead. Probably has a couple weeks to live. Just was very sad afterward and just hoped people never had to ever experience virus like this.

SARS and MERS did involve similar immune reactions seen in FIP. So it's not an unreasonable thing to think other Corona virus in people could do so.

Similar as in a permanently weakened immune system? I just want to make sure I'm understanding.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Similar as in a permanently weakened immune system? I just want to make sure I'm understanding.
No, basically the virus survives in a weaken state in the body. It no longer cause the initial disease in that person because the immune system keeps it under control (think Tourista bug, people in endemic area no longer experience any symptoms but people new to the area can catch it from them).
However, is some cases, the immune system start to attack the virus in a different way. The weaken virus get trapped by antibodies and then the immune systems 'blast' the area slowly destroying the body. So it become an type of auto-immune disease. So basically it's over active immune system not immune compromised disease (such as AIDS).

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
No, basically the virus survives in a weaken state in the body. It no longer cause the initial disease in that person because the immune system keeps it under control (think Tourista bug, people in endemic area no longer experience any symptoms but people new to the area can catch it from them).
However, is some cases, the immune system start to attack the virus in a different way. The weaken virus get trapped by antibodies and then the immune systems 'blast' the area slowly destroying the body. So it become an type of auto-immune disease. So basically it's over active immune system not immune compromised disease (such as AIDS).

Oh wow. That's actually scary. I sure as shit hope that isn't the care here.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Autoimmune diseases in people can very much be treated though. As someone with RA and Lupus, I know this intimately. There is no evidence that COVID19 or any specific virus can lead to autoimmune disease in humans.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Autoimmune diseases in people can very much be treated though. As someone with RA and Lupus, I know this intimately. There is no evidence that COVID19 or any specific virus can lead to autoimmune disease in humans.

I think they were just talking about a hypothetical situation where COVID19 did have that kind of reaction and then explaining how that could potentially play out.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I think they were just talking about a hypothetical situation where COVID19 did have that kind of reaction and then explaining how that could potentially play out.
I'm just trying to be realistic. Sorry, people were talking like it was a possibility. Like, GBS is thought to maybe be caused by a reaction to a virus but there is not even any proof for that. And GBS was most likely extremely fatal before modern medicine so it was studied.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
I always wonder when viruses like this one will cause a FIP-like disease in people.

For reference, I am a veterinarian. FIP in cats is a disease caused by a corona virus (same family but not closely related to the COVID19 virus).
The virus itself is very contagious initially between cats (only) and will cause minimal to no symptoms in the initial phase (mild diarrhea for those that do have symptoms).
The cat afterward then looks completely normal. Contagions levels drops but the cats are still contagious.
HOWEVER, 4-8 month later in 5 to 30% of the cats (depending on the strains) will develop a second phase of the disease that has a near 100% fatality rate. The is no cure or effective treatments (there is some experimental ones that show some promise).
The ones that do not get the second phase of the disease will have a normal life but do remain contagious (but less so than initial phase).

There is no good screening test for carrier cats.

It's an terrible virus and it would be terrible if something like this ever start in people.

Can you imagine all those people that do not die initially of the COVID19 but half a year later start dying? And then found out that they were contagious all that time? I hope this never happens but this is what scares me when new human-spread virus emerge.
Jesus Christ, man. Nightmare fuel.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Please don't derail into hypotheticals in this thread due to it's sensitive subject matter, let's focus on what we know and stay on the topic of the coronavirus, thanks all

Mar 29, 2018

Fascinating - but yes probably best keep this out of a thread full of hypochondriacs, especially if it's so unlikely and/or a baseless line of thought
I dont trust people to stay in quarantine, travel, touch anything and cough everywhere to not be peace in mind

Even if half the people with it are idiots like this, there are 7 billion people on the planet and likely only a few thousand with the condition. Even if it peaks out at a few million infected, your chances of encountering it would be 0.0001%

They're really not. Unless you can link directly to sound at sources saying otherwise

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
From BNO
1,638 new cases and 94 new deaths in Hubei province, China.

I would see it positively if we were sure about case acceptance but with maybe new rules of counting I don't think I want to see it for more than a number , we ll need to see a few days of evolution, its about 500 less cases than yesterday and 800 than 2 days ago

Last edited:

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
From BNO

I would see it positively if we were sure about case acceptance but with maybe new rules of counting I don't think I want to see it for more than a number , we ll need to see a few days of evolution, its about 500 less cases than yesterday and 800 than 2 days ago
It's hard to take it Serious when the serious/critical condition went up by 800. Id love to be wrong but I think it's providing a false narrative. Even if China is being as truthful as possible I don't think they can keep up with the swarm of people that need to be treated

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Top English Premier League player Deli Alle apologizes for his stupid video and "joke". The Football Association is expecting an explanation from him.

www.bbc.com

Alli apologises for coronavirus 'joke'

Tottenham's Dele Alli apologises for a social media post in which he joked about the coronavirus outbreak, saying "I let myself down and the club".

What's even more interesting is that The Asian Footballer of the year, Heung-Min Son is a teammate

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to take it Serious when the serious/critical condition went up by 800. Id love to be wrong but I think it's providing a false narrative. Even if China is being as truthful as possible I don't think they can keep up with the swarm of people that need to be treated
I m not surprised by the seriou critical condition added out of more than 30000 case admitted, if you look at Singapore they have 7 critical out of 47 cases, I think that due to the constraints in equipment and health worker a lot of people will evolve to critical condition in hubei (20-30%) we can see a 15% death rate there because of these constraints versus other part of china or countries (of course china won't admit that)

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
From BNO

That's a huge decrease and I'm pretty sure the new rules don't actually discount people without symptoms.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
God dam another 39.

I've been saying it since the beginning but I'll say it again they need to get them off that dam boat. It's absolutely inhumane to force them to stay on it and it's causing more people to get sick
imagine the people with inside cabins with no window, it's like a prison. Also, seems to me fresh air and sunlight would be healthier overall, they should let them sit on the deck.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
The situation on the cruise ship is horror movie levels of nightmare. I feel so terrible for everyone on board. At the rate it's spreading and how long it takes to identify is it possible that everyone on the ship already has it, it's just a matter of time before the symptoms present? (Or am I getting that wrong and the theory you could have it without showing symptoms was debunked?) Surely they're not gonna be stuck on the boat until people start dying?

What are you, virus Batman?
41520.jpg

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
174 out of 350 are infected on that cruise, just shows how infectious this thing is.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure I'm understanding the cruise ship situation. Is it that they had likely all been exposed at some point and the incubation is just playing out while they're in quarantine? Or are they somehow catching it despite continuing to be confined to their cabins?

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
With the cruise ship, I'm assuming that the people just diagnosed with the virus have had it since before the quarantine, it's just that the tests didn't pick it up earlier, or they weren't tested because they hadn't displayed symptoms yet. The exception being the tester I guess (not knowing anything about their situation).

It's worrying that there are probably a lot of contagious people out there who display no symptoms and feel perfectly healthy, and they're just wandering around.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
174 out of 350 are infected on that cruise, just shows how infectious this thing is.
Incomplete breakdown, but it appears that a lot of Japanese are infected. Not sure why there are so many more.

These cases are from Australia (four), Canada (one), England (one), Japan (45), Philippines (three), Ukraine (one) and USA (eleven).
Argentina (one); Australia (five); Canada (five), Japan (21); United Kingdom (one) and United States (eight).
Two Australian guests, three Japanese guests, three guests from Hong Kong, and one guest from the U.S. in addition to one Filipino crewmember.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm not sure I'm understanding the cruise ship situation. Is it that they had likely all been exposed at some point and the incubation is just playing out while they're in quarantine? Or are they somehow catching it despite continuing to be confined to their cabins?
I wonder about the ventilation system in the ship. Also how was food and drink prepared in the first week or two when they realized there was a developing problem. How many times did people leave their rooms in that time, touch elevator panels, stair rails, that sort of thing.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't t 350 people a bit small for pupulation of a cruise ship?
They only tested people who had symptoms.

I wonder about the ventilation system in the ship. Also how was food and drink prepared in the first week or two when they realized there was a developing problem. How many times did people leave their rooms in that time, touch elevator panels, stair rails, that sort of thing.
I think it's more likely that someone with multiple opportunities to contact multiple people like a tour guide or a waiter rather than elevator buttons, but who knows.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Probably some of A and B.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
yes, they need to get off the boat, but which country will accept them?

How about the fucking country the boat is docked off the coast of? Does Japan not have anywhere they can place these people that's more humane than this floating prison, where every day you might be the next one to get infected? Cripes. This is almost Hague-worthy.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about the fucking country the boat is docked off the coast of? Does Japan not have anywhere they can place these people that's more humane than this floating prison, where every day you might be the next one to get infected? Cripes. This is almost Hague-worthy.
I imagine there must be ghost towns in the country, but in terms of having modern conveniences that boat is probably as good as it gets with international electricity, wifi, phones, washrooms/showers.

Surprised that most of the passengers are Japanese and Japan doing this to their own citizens.
Maybe they know more about the situation then they are letting public?

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Stair railings, elevator buttons, sure. But the big one is breakfast and lunch dining, which is nearly 100% via buffet. There are hand sanitiser stations at the start of every single line, but you still get morons who don't use them, especially older people in my experience.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Stair railings, elevator buttons, sure. But the big one is breakfast and lunch dining, which is nearly 100% via buffet. There are hand sanitiser stations at the start of every single line, but you still get morons who don't use them, especially older people in my experience.

at this point, buffets are now making me nauseated just thinking about it

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how much this virus has become the talk of the town in Boston, a city with no actual cases beyond the one student who successfully quarantined himself. Chinatown's apparently taken a big hit, too :\

Gonna get a big lunch at my favorite chinatown spot tomorrow because it really sucks how xenophobic people have been getting over something that absolutely isn't an issue in the states yet.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
at this point, buffets are now making me nauseated just thinking about it

I was thinking about how self service stations might contribute to spreading diseases the other day. Instead of a few staff helping and serving customers, a lot of places, at least here, have customers get their own cutlery and sauces from these stations these days. And almost every fast food place here have self service stations to order your from a screen these days too.

Restaurants also let customers order off tablets.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about how self service stations might contribute to spreading diseases the other day. Instead of a few staff helping and serving customers, a lot of places, at least here, have customers get their own cutlery and sauces from these stations these days. And almost every fast food place here have self service stations to order your from a screen these days too.

Restaurants also let customers order off tablets.

Travel utensils are great if you find yourself out and about with a bag most days. $20-30 and you never have to use communal plastic utensils ever again!

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Some new cases here in Singapore.

It's alarming here since Singapore is so small and crowded. Our company already imposed doing work from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.