• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Well that and you're all sitting around a crowded table within arms reach so if someone isn't wearing a mask and coughing...

Oh for sure! All the trappings of that type of gathering will spread a contagion very easily. It's why things spread badly on cruise ships. Even my sister got the norovirus on the one cruise she had ever been on lol.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How does that hotpot situation work? Are they eating from the same pot, or each using their eating utensils to scoop from the pot? Was the food infected? Or is it just that a family in close proximity all got sick and the story has nothing to do with hotpot?
my guess is that the chopsticks the person was eating with was used to add ingredients to the broth and would also contaminate the other ingredients in the dish

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Unless there is a huge outbreak. The local doctor probably treats it as "common flu" as opposed to corona.

Say compare it to Singapore

Flu symptoms > Go to Singapore Hospital > Probably corona > Quarantined

While Indonesia

Flu symptoms > Go to Indonesia Hospital > Probably common flu > Flu medicine and go home

Considering the nature of the virus, which should be deadly, probably more like...

Flu symptoms > Go to Indonesia Hospital > Probably common flu > Flu medicine and go home > symptoms worsen in next days > back to ER with severe dyspneu/respiratory failure > admited to ICU

Could easily turned out to be "the calm before the storm" situation, tbh. Hope that wont be the case.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
I try to follow only sourced news about this in germany (tagesschau.de mostly) and they seem pretty resonable about the whole thing. with 14 cases in Germany there is no need to panick, but you should recheck your hand washing and standard hygiene that you should have anyways during the flu-season. My workplace also remebered people how to wash hands and sneeze/cough to not endager others needlessly. But is is flu/cold season since novembre, so nearly 50-60% of the people cough/sneeze etc. But I think it would be very wrong and even bad for the overall situation if everybody panics, there is like a <1% chance that it is Corona if it stays at the case number. AND if it was Corona for most of these 50-60%, it would be too late for self-quanatine anyways...
I think, IF this virus spreads in Germany there is not much more you can do about it. It is absolutely unlikely that major shutdowns like in China happen here and you can't just stay at home for weeks.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for those galaxy brain dumb "what about the flu tho" takes

www.wired.com

Coronavirus Is Bad. Comparing It to the Flu Is Worse

The whataboutism of infectious disease is as dangerous as it is hackneyed.

Honestly, the people who post that shit don't care about the death toll, they just want to feel superior.
It's also a deliberate attempt to disinform which is funny because they seem to also be the loudest ones going on about disinformation. A whole city sealed off and empty as if it is the apocalypse. People being hauled off the streets in metal containers, others sealed up in their homes. Thousands stranded on ships. WHO declaring a global emergency...but hey guys, it's like the common, stop being alarmist and don't worry. When has all that ever happened for a common flu or cold?

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's also a deliberate attempt to disinform which is funny because they seem to also be the loudest ones going on about disinformation. A whole city sealed off and empty as if it is the apocalypse. People being hauled off the streets in metal containers, others sealed up in their homes. Thousands stranded on ships. WHO declaring a global emergency...but hey guys, it's like the common, stop being alarmist and don't worry. When has any of that shit happened for a common flu or cold?

Oh yes, I'm sure people who are anxious for any scrap of good news or reason to not fucking stress about this situation on the other side of the world from Wuhan "jUsT wANt tO fEeL sUpERioR" and want to "dELibeRAtELy diSinForM".

My god. Some of you people.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes, I'm sure people who are anxious for any scrap of good news or reason to not fucking stress about this situation on the other side of the world from Wuhan "jUsT wANt tO fEeL sUpERioR" and want to "dELibeRAtELy diSinForM".

My god. Some of you people.
IMO there is not much good news about any of this yet, and honestly you might as well just tune out what is happening if it stressing you out. To me it's far more stressing to have people tell me everything is fine meanwhile I'm seeing fire and hearing alarms going off.

Mar 3, 2019
for those galaxy brain dumb "what about the flu tho" takes

www.wired.com

Coronavirus Is Bad. Comparing It to the Flu Is Worse

The whataboutism of infectious disease is as dangerous as it is hackneyed.

Honestly, the people who post that shit don't care about the death toll, they just want to feel superior.

I personally don't think anyone is trying to feel superior when they caution for a more relaxed approach on the subject, i think it's coming from a good place to try to ease panic. However some people are going all the way with it and end up sounding like CCP mouthpieces in this thread which is really weird. The CCP is spreading enough misinformation, threatening and imprisoning people who speak on social media, and censoring a lot of posts on wechat and Chinese socia media sources. They don't need help with it, so no reason to be carrying water for an authoritarian regime people

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been fascinating watching the discourse around this. Someone dies, the immediate questions that follow are "how old / sick were they originally" "were they from China". It's as if the death doesn't count if they fall into either of those categories or the virus isn't serious because the deaths are mostly in one place far away from us and are generally older people. We are desperate to distance ourselves from it, convince ourselves that we are safe from it, more so than we are worried about the lives of vulnerable people in hospitals currently dying.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
It's been fascinating watching the discourse around this. Someone dies, the immediate questions that follow are "how old / sick were they originally" "were they from China". It's as if the death doesn't count if they fall into either of those categories or the virus isn't serious because the deaths are mostly in one place far away from us and are generally older people. We are desperate to distance ourselves from it, convince ourselves that we are safe from it, more so than we are worried about the lives of vulnerable people in hospitals currently dying.

Exactly. "Oh only Chinese people are dying so we will be fine" Or variants of it have been uttered many times in this thread already. Like those lives don't matter somehow. Like so:

That's a little needlessly hostile

I mean obviously it's not that we have nothing to worry about and we're going to need to work hard to contain this all over but outside of Hubei the death rate is 0.2% and we most likely won't have anywhere near as many coronavirus deaths in the US as from flu, and I don't think a lot of people are aware of how many flu deaths there are.

Why are we limiting the sphere of concern to the US? Hundreds are dying but it's ok as long as the death rate outside of Hubei is low?

also, as for people not being aware how many flu deaths there are, why is this the right place for that conversation? The flu is a worldwide disease that is around all year long. This disease has only been around for about a month, is unknown in terms of how dangerous it is and how it can be combatted, and already has a large toll on the health infrastructure. Talking about how many people the flu kills is a really asinine number because they are incomparable in so many ways. It is borderline misleading. Which is covered in the article, btw.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
That's a little needlessly hostile

I mean obviously it's not that we have nothing to worry about and we're going to need to work hard to contain this all over but outside of Hubei the death rate is 0.2% and we most likely won't have anywhere near as many coronavirus deaths in the US as from flu, and I don't think a lot of people are aware of how many flu deaths there are.
The death rate is not .2% out of Hubei.

Eric_S

Nov 29, 2017
Josh Hawley wants a conflict with China, it has nothing to do with the virus, it has to do with his dumb ideas about FiGhTiNg CoMmUnIsM and his dreams about regime changing it.

I personally think this is the worst time for the US to pick fights with China, I think there are no sides here and no one should be rooting for the virus, but Josh Hawley gonna do Josh Hawley things. I'm sure Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio have thoughts on this too.

A regime change led by Mr Hawley, wouldn't be desirable is what you're saying? Because you do think that the central government should be democratically elected, yes? (Whatever the result of that would be)

I further don't think shifting production will lead to much of anything, and really nothing that will affect how the Chinese state deals with the virus outbreak.

...but I don't see how this conversation belongs in this thread.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My Parents were supposed to go on a cruise leaving from Singapore but due to a 45 minute layover in Hong Kong they were denied entrance onto the cruise.

Mar 3, 2019

Agreed. You will have some people who are only morbidly fascinated, but the vast majority of people are just worried for humanity as a whole. We are a global society now thanks to trade and the internet. I worry about every single Chinese death as if they were from my own country because we are all connected. People are fighting and doctors are being heroic and China, and rightfully being recognized outside of China.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Was at a BBQ at my in-laws house this weekend and learned that my wife's aunt went home to Singapore last month to visit family and is apparently stuck there since they canceled her flight out which was routed through China... 😟

don't know why the airline wouldn't just alter the flight to another location before return to the US.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Was at a BBQ at my in-laws house this weekend and learned that my wife's aunt went home to Singapore last month to visit family and is apparently stuck there since they canceled her flight out which was routed through China... 😟

don't know why the airline wouldn't just alter the flight to another location before return to the US.

You need logistic and right to actually lay over to the other airport.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A regime change led by Mr Hawley, wouldn't be desirable is what you're saying? Because you do think that the central government should be democratically elected, yes? (Whatever the result of that would be)

I further don't think shifting production will lead to much of anything, and really nothing that will affect how the Chinese state deals with the virus outbreak.
I think trying to regime change China is insane.
Also, there is no magical "shifting production", you can put tariffs, you can put sanctions and you can make doing business with Chinese companies illegal. All 3 are things that Josh Hawley (and Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio and the usual AnTi CoMmUnIsT cRuSaDeRs) are pushing for, and I personally think all 3 are bad policy ideas.

...but I don't see how this conversation belongs in this thread.
Republicans are using this outbreak to push for a more hawkish stance with China, I think it's relevant.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Today could be the first day of over 100 deaths. 91 reported in Hubei and over 2500 diagnosed. Serious/critical over 5500

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's not true but some are saying that there has been Coronavirus in NK which is, unsurprisingly, very poorly equipped to deal with it.
www.thedailybeast.com

North Korea’s Secret Coronavirus Crisis is Crazy Scary

Kim Jong Un canceled a big parade with no real explanation just as the South Korean press reports coronavirus has hit North Korea hard and could explode there.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Hopefully it's not true but some are saying that there has been Coronavirus in NK which is, unsurprisingly, very poorly equipped to deal with it.
www.thedailybeast.com

Kim Jong Un canceled a big parade with no real explanation just as the South Korean press reports coronavirus has hit North Korea hard and could explode there.
They were also carrying out testing and disinfection measures at all roads which go into Pyongyang https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200208000900320

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Probably climate related? Hot and humid weather supposedly will decrease the effectiveness of the virus like it did for SARS - and there are some theories that places like Singapore is getting more of it because of the high usage of air conditioning compared to less developed SEA countries
Simple, you cannot confirm something when you dont have any technology to confirm it. :^)

But then again during SARS, There is only 2 case in Indonesia vs 238 in Singapore. Maybe there is something we dont know about that related to Corona virus and indonesia
Yeah, I'm leaning towards incompetency and/or the lack of proper equipment to detect the virus.

The climate reasoning makes no sense since Singapore and Malaysia are also tropical countries like Indonesia.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
www.thedailybeast.com

With the vast majority of the NK population being in bad health due to being malnourished, and having a sparse medical infrastructure, this might turn out to be an absolute slaughter.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With the vast majority of the NK population being in bad health due to being malnourished, and having a sparse medical infrastructure, this might turn out to be an absolute slaughter.
I've never had a ton of faith in the source although apparently it's fairly credible and it is citing a South Korean source. I hope that it's wrong in this case. I can't imagine that NK is even close to being equipped to handle this although sadly their lack of caring for their people will probably help them contain it in fairly brutal ways.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I've never had a ton of faith in the source although apparently it's fairly credible and it is citing a South Korean source. I hope that it's wrong in this case. I can't imagine that NK is even close to being equipped to handle this although sadly their lack of caring for their people will probably help them contain it in fairly brutal ways.
Yeah. This will sound bad. But the only remedy they have are bullets. But what happens when the army becomes infected? And they will.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Low temperatures likely slows down our immune system. Cold slows down the movement of particles, which goes all the way to our immune system being slower as well as organisms being less active if they cannot protect themselves from low temperatures.

On one hand, it could have been an evolutionary advantage for our immune system to slow down at a time when it is less likely to be needed, which would allow the body to use its energy for other purposes. On the other hand, our modern lifestyle allows us to go from cold temperatures to hot over a short period of time, probably at a faster rate than it takes for our immune system to go back to full speed, especially in the winter where we might be exposed to cold weather for long periods of time due to poorly protecting ourselves from the cold.

nationalpost.com

Why do we catch more colds when the temperature drops? Blame our immune systems

Yale University has found when the core body temperature inside the nose falls by 5C, the immune system does not work as well to fight the cold virus

Last edited:

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
Considering the nature of the virus, which should be deadly, probably more like...

Flu symptoms > Go to Indonesia Hospital > Probably common flu > Flu medicine and go home > symptoms worsen in next days > back to ER with severe dyspneu/respiratory failure > admited to ICU

Could easily turned out to be "the calm before the storm" situation, tbh. Hope that wont be the case.

Unless there is sudden increase of death in short amount of time. It probably fallen under radar really. Consider how big (both in population and area) Indonesia is. It's more likely the case.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
m98nj10_d.jpg

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
www.thedailybeast.com

How could it have got into North Korea? Government officials traveling? Food?

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Can you just stop bullshitting?

I'm not.

www.businessinsider.com

I Had A Scary Encounter With North Korea’s Crumbling Healthcare System

A system "in dire need of help."

www.amnestyusa.org

North Korea's Dire Lack of Food and Health Care

Amnesty International released a disturbing new report today detailing the crumbling state of health care in North Korea. The report paints a bleak picture of barely-functioning hospitals void of medicines and epidemics brought on by malnutrition.

North Korea has a better insurance system than the United States. Imagine that!
NK providesFor who? The .00001% party elite?

Edit: The insurance is for everyone. Unfortunately the insurance for the vast majority of NK citizens gets them very little.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Another health tip other than keeping yourself w use tissue papers NOT to blow your nose (your risk spreading germs/virus on yourself or others) but to remove moisture from your nose when it's moist. Your just swab your nostrils with it.

In cold weather, the warm air you exhale condenses in your nostrils when it is cooled by the cold air. If the virus makes its way there, it will thrive and eventually as you inhale and swallow it will infect you.

The reason viruses like the flu make us sneeze is they build themselves an environment that allows them to thrive and then cause the host to sneeze them out to spread to others. It's like aliens building a spaceport in your nose/throat to colonize the universe.

Deleted member 49319

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I'm not.

www.businessinsider.com

I Had A Scary Encounter With North Korea’s Crumbling Healthcare System

A system "in dire need of help."

www.amnestyusa.org

North Korea's Dire Lack of Food and Health Care

Amnesty International released a disturbing new report today detailing the crumbling state of health care in North Korea. The report paints a bleak picture of barely-functioning hospitals void of medicines and epidemics brought on by malnutrition.
You know that report was based on defector interviews and countered by WHO's statement, right?
And that clickbait title, the journalist was taken good care of, how was that scary? His firsthand experience as an investigator failed to provide any valuable information on the topic, he had to turn to third-party sources, including much googling, to finish his piece. I won't take his writing seriously (what to take seriously anyway).

North Korea's for sure in short of medical supply, but you made it sound like hospitals and medicines are inaccessible to common people, which is total nonsense.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You know that report was based on defector interviews and countered by WHO's statement, right?
And that clickbait title, the journalist was taken good care of, how was that scary? His firsthand experience as an investigator failed to provide any valuable information on the topic, he had to turn to third-party sources, including much googling, to finish his piece. I won't take his writing seriously (what to take seriously anyway).

North Korea's for sure in short of medical supply, but you made it sound like hospitals and medicines are inaccessible to common people, which is total nonsense.
It's not. Did you even read the article from Amnesty International?

Deleted member 49319

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
It's not. Did you even read the article from Amnesty International?
Of course I did, it's mainly about food shortage... did you even read yourself?
I'm talking about that report on healthcare which is no longer available on their website for unknown reason.

The second article you found talked about it.
Amnesty's horrifying report, which described hospitals where hypodermic needles were not sterilized and sheets were not regularly washed, was criticized by the WHO for relying entirely on statements from people who were not in the country.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Another health tip other than keeping yourself w use tissue papers NOT to blow your nose (your risk spreading germs/virus on yourself or others) but to remove moisture from your nose when it's moist. Your just swab your nostrils with it.

In cold weather, the warm air you exhale condenses in your nostrils when it is cooled by the cold air. If the virus makes its way there, it will thrive and eventually as you inhale and swallow it will infect you.

The reason viruses like the flu make us sneeze is they build themselves an environment that allows them to thrive and then cause the host to sneeze them out to spread to others. It's like aliens building a spaceport in your nose/throat to colonize the universe.
In the anime called Calls At Work, sneezing is portrayed as a rocket being launched like a space port lol.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017

Basically pick your nose but politely then. Hmmmmmm

Here in Singapore there are now temperature checking queues to get into the major office buildings. Doesn't stop those not having a fever yet but I guess every little bit helps?

Status
Not open for further replies.