• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
"...we observed significantly higher ACE2 gene expression in smoker samples compared to non-smoker samples. This indicates the smokers may be more susceptible to 2019-nCov and thus smoking history should be considered in identifying susceptible population and standardizing treatment regimen."

I'm happy to have never smoked

Huh. That goes against a bioxriv submission that I just read about the Asian males (of the ones they tested) having more ACE2 receptors regardless of smoking status...

www.biorxiv.org

Single-cell RNA expression profiling of ACE2, the putative receptor of Wuhan 2019-nCov

A novel coronavirus (2019-nCov) was identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China in December of 2019. This new coronavirus has resulted in thousands of cases of lethal disease in China, with additional patients being identified in a rapidly growing number internationally. 2019-nCov was reported to...

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
"...we observed significantly higher ACE2 gene expression in smoker samples compared to non-smoker samples. This indicates the smokers may be more susceptible to 2019-nCov and thus smoking history should be considered in identifying susceptible population and standardizing treatment regimen."

I'm happy to have never smoked
This would help explain why patient deaths have been predominantly male.

Smoking in China is an overwhelmingly male activity. About half of Chinese men smoke, while women almost never do.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I have mixed feelings on that. I get that it's for safety and I assume some extra efficiency, but it's pretty mean to effectively tell patients that they're not worth any basic human contact just because they're infected with something though no fault of their own.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like that robot thing is a bad idea. As someone who has many close relationships with nurses, having somebody on a ward to check on patients and, indeed, their reaction to medication is essential.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I have mixed feelings on that. I get that it's for safety and I assume some extra efficiency, but it's pretty mean to effectively tell patients that they're not worth any basic human contact just because they're infected with something though no fault of their own.
I feel like that robot thing is a bad idea. As someone who has many close relationships with nurses, having somebody on a ward to check on patients and, indeed, their reaction to medication is essential.
Let me know how you feel sick and alone in your room with only a robot bringing you food and meds.

I am not in a position to fly to fucking China and take care of their patients what a weird thing to say.
Have you seen the condition of hospitals and the staffs in China (especially Wuhan) before posting?

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Let me know how you feel sick and alone in your room with only a robot bringing you food and meds.

I am not in a position to fly to fucking China and take care of their patients what a weird thing to say.
I'll be thankful because the alternative is not having food and meds. Do you even know anything about the situation there and how hard the healthcare staff are working? Do you think this is some stupid thing they're doing because it's fun to use robots?

There are people dying now because of a lack of resources to look after every single person. Criticizing them using robots to deliver essentials is not even remotely on the list of actual concerns.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Using a robot in this case is barely more safe and doesn't seem that much more efficient. Staff and patients would still both interact with the robot and potentially transfer the virus. It might even give a false sense of security. It's not that more efficient because you still need staff filling and monitoring the robot.

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Using a robot in this case is barely more safe and doesn't seem that much more efficient. Staff and patients would still both interact with the robot and potentially transfer the virus. It might even give a false sense of security. It's not that more efficient because you still need staff filling and monitoring the robot.

One of the hospitals in America was using a robot to treat a patient in one of the early cases in the US: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/23/health/us-wuhan-coronavirus-doctor-interview/index.html

Are you a doctor? I am not asking to be smart, but genuinely curious if you have the qualifications to determine how efficient these robots are.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
"Yeah, have more human interaction" is easier said than done. With the amount of infected people overflowing the hospitals, theres no reasonable way to expect the real nurses and doctors to tend to everyone all the time.

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
Hong Kong: Three cases of Wuhan virus in Hong Kong

Two of the new cases are members of the same family, a grandmother and grandson, who had a barbecue and hotpot dinner with 17 other family members during the Lunar New Year holiday. Preliminary test results for seven other relatives have also returned positive, and testing is continuing with two other family members who had showed mild flu-like symptoms.

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1507567-20200209.htm

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Meanwhile, in the US:
www.kcrg.com

Flu season so far: 12K deaths, 22M sick

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 12,000 deaths, 22 million illnesses and 210,000 hospitalizations and from flu.

I mean, nCoV is scary because we still don't know how dangerous it really is and will be, but your vanilla standard ole' flu kills thousands worldwide and noone even shrugs.
How many times do we need to explain that the death ratio of seasonal flue is nowhere near NCOV?

Can you imagine how many deaths there would be if there are 22 million infected by NCOV?

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Meanwhile, in the US:
www.kcrg.com

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 12,000 deaths, 22 million illnesses and 210,000 hospitalizations and from flu.

I mean, nCoV is scary because we still don't know how dangerous it really is and will be, but your vanilla standard ole' flu kills thousands worldwide and noone even shrugs.

Ffs. What's the point of bringing this up?

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look, another one.

Ignore it and move on.
How many times do we need to explain that the death ratio of seasonal flue is nowhere near NCOV?

Can you imagine how many deaths there would be if there are 22 million infected by NCOV?

The deaths are just the beginning, to be honest. Imagine 10-20% of 22 million being hospitalized and quarantined for long periods of time, like it is happening with ncov. The system would collapse.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile, in the US:
www.kcrg.com

What happens when 22 million people have the NCov?? Just stop

SonicX_Zero

Oct 26, 2017
Aren't the hospital staff and doctors over there being overworked? If using a robot is going to help them manage their workload, I think in the long run this is a better alternative. I mean what is the point if all the professionals treating your patients are going to die in the process because they aren't getting any rest.

May 26, 2018
Meanwhile, in the US:
www.kcrg.com

Hey. How ya doin'? Having a nice day?

Would you like to think about the nearly half million dead in this scenario if it's the coronavirus?

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I get that the comparison to flu feels ridiculous, but everyone seems to forget that as far as we know (which, again, isn't a whole lot at this point, but still), the numbers concerning nCoV are fatalities/hospitalized cases.

For all we know, the number of infections with mild symptoms that are not hospitalized is much much higher, same as it's with flu. Seasonal flu kills about 7% of hospitalized cases, but that's just a small fraction of the total infections.

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
One of the hospitals in America was using a robot to treat a patient in one of the early cases in the US: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/23/health/us-wuhan-coronavirus-doctor-interview/index.html

Are you a doctor? I am not asking to be smart, but genuinely curious if you have the qualifications to determine how efficient these robots are.
Well, I'm not a medical doctor but I do have a PhD with robotics programming as research topic and currently work as a researcher in robotics... Someone specialized in medical robotics would be way more qualified to talk about the topic. I'm just commenting based on the video and a few papers I've read and talks I've attended on automated logistics systems in hospitals. Obviously they wouldn't be using robots if there was no benefit.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this source is allowed, but this is the only place I could find it.

[CHINA] Video is of people being put in a box and hauled off by men in hazmat suits. These people are suspected of having the virus. What makes it so disturbing is that the lady starts screaming afterwards... I can't imagine being put in a cage... Man...

If anyone else finds a better source. Let me know.

Mar 29, 2018
I'm not sure if this source is allowed, but this is the only place I could find it.

[CHINA] Video is of people being put in a box and hauled off by men in hazmat suits. These people are suspected of having the virus. What makes it so disturbing is that the lady starts screaming afterwards... I can't imagine being put in a cage... Man...

If anyone else finds a better source. Let me know.
Yeah it was posted on the last couple of pages, I think it's legit

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm not a medical doctor but I do have a PhD with robotics programming as research topic and currently work as a researcher in robotics... Someone specialized in medical robotics would be way more qualified to talk about the topic. I'm just commenting based on the video and a few papers I've read and talks I've attended on automated logistics systems in hospitals. Obviously they wouldn't be using robots if there was no benefit.
Got it, it is always nice to hear about what knowledge and perspective people are coming from. So many people seem to become experts of medicine and virology overnight whenever it comes to stories of epidemics/pandemics so it is nice that you are coming from a position of knowledge.

The field of robotics seems like it will have a very interesting future in use in virtually all industries but lots of it will be untested for now I imagine.

Oct 30, 2017
Japan
4th UK case confirmed.

From the Singapore guy who gave it to the 4 people in France.

The 4th person contacted NHS rather than went to A&E. Can only hope this is contained.... but I fear this is the beginning of things here.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I get that the comparison to flu feels ridiculous, but everyone seems to forget that as far as we know (which, again, isn't a whole lot at this point, but still), the numbers concerning nCoV are fatalities/hospitalized cases.

For all we know, the number of infections with mild symptoms that are not hospitalized is much much higher, same as it's with flu. Seasonal flu kills about 7% of hospitalized cases, but that's just a small fraction of the total infections.

Yeah, well that doesn't matter to those of us with lung problems already that aren't affected by the seasonal flu, as the nCoV is more fatal to people like myself and others I know who have breathing issues. So yes, nCoV is a far greater concern.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, in the US:
www.kcrg.com

I feel like people who continue to post this stuff should start getting warnings and some kind of staff post should be made. Its just contentious dribble for people to sound smart at this point considering we don't know all the facts or even what's entirely going on in China.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah, well that doesn't matter to those of us with lung problems already that aren't affected by the seasonal flu, as the nCoV is more fatal to people like myself and others I know who have breathing issues. So yes, nCoV is a far greater concern.

Well, you know, I've been smoking for almost 25 years, so I feel you.
Individual concerns aside, though, in the absolute numbers, it might end up being roughly on par with flu (and that's still pretty horrible, yes).

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
It's fun talking to my wife about this. She went to college in Wuhan and majored in microbiology.
She's pretty convinced that the CCP is was under reporting numbers here.
I'm just thankful none of her friends or family over in China have fallen ill yet.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
www.channelnewsasia.com

Coronavirus outbreak: 3 new cases confirmed in Singapore, 4 more discharged

SINGAPORE: Three new cases of the novel coronavirus have been confirmed in Singapore, all with no recent travel history to China, the Ministry of Health (MOH) announced on Sunday (Feb 9).This takes the total number of cases in Singapore to 43. Of these, six are in critical condition in intensive

Three new cases in Singapore,all with no recent travel history to China.

We have 30K China workers returning to Singapore too. Hope everything will be fine. :|

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
isn't tomorrow when the Chinese New Year vacation ends? what will happen

www.channelnewsasia.com

SINGAPORE: Three new cases of the novel coronavirus have been confirmed in Singapore, all with no recent travel history to China, the Ministry of Health (MOH) announced on Sunday (Feb 9).This takes the total number of cases in Singapore to 43. Of these, six are in critical condition in intensive

We have 30K China workers returning to Singapore too. Hope everything will be fine. :|

:|

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Well, you know, I've been smoking for almost 25 years, so I feel you.
Individual concerns aside, though, in the absolute numbers, it might end up being roughly on par with flu (and that's still pretty horrible, yes).

I see your point. Still, it's just frustrating how we are struggling to understand nCoV.

In this situation, a robot is vastly more logical than risking other Humans needlessly over delivering meals.

Last edited:

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
www.channelnewsasia.com

Experts have been saying for a week now that there should be widespread testing for the Coronavirus. It doesn't matter if people have been to China or in contact with people in China. I think this further proves that this needs to start happening

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The ironic is...robot that they plan to use in the future are programed to be more humane, sympatic, kind, professional, accurate, etc. More than doctor and medical staffs.

If you are regular in sickky business you will know that doctors are often tired as hell and distance, medical workers often rude to you because of tiredness too or worse, unprofessional and can cause you almost fatal in some cases (met it myself).

Robots will have all the time in the world for you and always there to please your sick asses, with just electric power. More effectiveness than any humankind too.

Status
Not open for further replies.