• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"...we observed significantly higher ACE2 gene expression in smoker samples compared to non-smoker samples. This indicates the smokers may be more susceptible to 2019-nCov and thus smoking history should be considered in identifying susceptible population and standardizing treatment regimen."

I'm happy to have never smoked

I live in a metropolis and the air here is the same as smoking 4 cigarettes per day.

Never smoked myself but it wouldn't matter.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Look at that graph (it's out of date by a few days, now above the SARS peak).

EQQ-wpzXsAUPUmf

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At this point it seems like containment is impossible. This is a 4th degree transmission. People all over the world might have it right now and not realize it yet, and by all account they could be spreading it as we speak, without getting detected. In a week or two, this might hit hard.
i feel like people were saying the same thing...a week or two ago. canada's first confirmed case was ill and coughing on his flight home wuhan, coming into contact with several people on the plane, the airport, and in his family. it has been almost 3 weeks since then and nothing hit hard.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Sure that seems a good thing, whats worying is the serious/critical over 6000 cases versus 27000 confirmed. Even with just 1/3rd dying of these cases (seriou plus critical) we would be looking at a death % close to SARS. The way it looks its like its taking more time to develop serious condition but still end up the same. 2 weeks of development into critical cases. Hopefully they can get the infected numbers into control at some point because that trend is the most thing that worries me

i hope that numbershave some real reflections of the situation and that the exponential increase rate has been cut off. It all coincide with the quarantining of wuhan about 2 weeks ago)

According to the wiki page on the outbreak (updated fairly regularly), the % of new cases relative to the current number of infections has been steadily going down for some time.

Ofc, it might just be the health care getting overloaded, but still, if you're desperate for good news, that's something.

YXuB0M4.jpg

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Again, I still don't get why people are making a big deal of comparing this to SARS numbers since China was definitely covering that up more than this.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like people were saying the same thing...a week or two ago. canada's first confirmed case was ill and coughing on his flight home wuhan, coming into contact with several people on the plane, the airport, and in his family. it has been almost 3 weeks since then and nothing hit hard.

I mean, we went from 173 infected outside China to 354 in a week. It more than doubled, it's not dying down.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
the good news is the severe/critical only grew a tiny amount

hope that's a sign they're getting it under control. Hopefully the outbreak doesn't impact another country like india. if it does, we're in trouble.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Aerosol is tiny droplet that get suspended in air. I believe they can only stay at air for a limited time and travel a short distance. So more infectious than simply droplet but not something that can travel very far. I think if there is a carrier cough in a room and you go in an hour later, chances are you will be fine unless you lick the floor.

Also don't forget the further the droplet travel, the more it gets diluted but a factor of 2.

Last edited:

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully that's a good thing... if the situation is bad as it seeks in China, doesn't make sense to open stuff does it?
At a certain point you can't just keep stuff shut down forever. You are going to have to teach the public to be vigilant but go on with their daily lives. Workplaces and factories need to re-open or the economic consequences will be catastrophic. There is already a huge hit

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
At a certain point you can't just keep stuff shut down forever. You are going to have to teach the public to be vigilant but go on with their daily lives. Workplaces and factories need to re-open or the economic consequences will be catastrophic. There is already a huge hit

What happens in a business when one person is identified as having the virus?

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Pretty worried about this. As someone immune suppressed, been watching it closely and being even more careful than always using sanitizer, not touching face, etc...good hygenie.

...and I got the flu and almost died over the last 3 days all while taking those precautions (still not over, but hopefully worst has past). So it basically tells me that if this gets out here in So CA, there's a decent chance I'll get it and it'll kill me no matter what.

Also I work at a family business and my whole family got the flu and is trying to survive it. I'm pretty worried something like this would wipe out half or more of our family if it spreads. My parents are elderly and I'm immune suppressed. It's scary.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
So, it appears that the transmitted numbers are potentially slowing down...?
www.worldometers.info

COVID Live - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Live statistics and coronavirus news tracking the number of confirmed cases, recovered patients, tests, and death toll due to the COVID-19 coronavirus from Wuhan, China. Coronavirus counter with new cases, deaths, and number of tests per 1 Million population. Historical data and info. Daily...

Look at the log scale

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
twitter.com

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

“Several more people have fallen ill on the cruise ship near Tokyo and will be taken to hospital; the cause is not yet known but dozens will be tested for coronavirus - NHK”

Reset the clock

Mar 29, 2018
I've been smoke-free for a little over a month (after 15 years). With my luck I'll get this fucking thing after finally quitting. Being over-dramatic, as I'm in the states, so risk is very low, but also flying next week and two weeks after that (all domestic) out of one of the states that has a case reported.
Funnily enough research just found that literally weeks after quitting your lungs regenerate rapidly almost to youth levels

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
Pretty worried about this. As someone immune suppressed, been watching it closely and being even more careful than always using sanitizer, not touching face, etc...good hygenie.

...and I got the flu and almost died over the last 3 days all while taking those precautions (still not over, but hopefully worst has past). So it basically tells me that if this gets out here in So CA, there's a decent chance I'll get it and it'll kill me no matter what.

Also I work at a family business and my whole family got the flu and is trying to survive it. I'm pretty worried something like this would wipe out half or more of our family if it spreads. My parents are elderly and I'm immune suppressed. It's scary.

Best thing you can do it be prepared and be informed.

Always get the flu shot. Ask your doctor is you are a candidate for a pneumonia vaccine.

Try to build up a stockpile of medications. You are actually eligible for refills every 3 weeks, keeping on top of that schedule will allow you to have a small surplus.

Government advised prep for pandemic.

Assess and revise your hygiene protocols, they are probably not strict enough since you got the flu from work (I'm assuming). Sometimes despite our best efforts it happens, but be really honest with yourself to see if there are ways you can improve.

I don't know why you are immunosuppressive, but if it's from medication discuss with your doctor a plan for alternative treatment in the event of a serious pandemic. They already tell you to call them ASAP if you get the flu or otherwise sick.

Start stockpiling non-perishable food now, that way you will be able to stay inside as much as possible when the infection waves roll through your area. I'm not saying go full prepper, but being able to minimize your contact with the public, both people and surfaces, during a wave will be your best bet.

As a person with a compromised immune system, you need to be taking measures above and beyond what a normal person would do.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Watch NBC Nightly News just now showing people being dragged out of their homes and people being taken off the street and put into little metal boxes in China. It was so disturbing to watch. China government can get stuffed. 😠

Hinkypunk

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
umm this is all just stuff picking up from friends and not official policy but ... my gf is in shenzhen and some places are opening Monday but not a lot. She has her own online business and she deals with factories (mostly the factories represented at 华强北) but they aren't opening Monday. 华强北 was originally opening back up on 17th but now that's postponed til later in the month. Means all those factories also won't be opening Monday.

my friend in Dongbei (Liaoning province) has a kindergarten. Only one case of corona virus in that town but their school has been told by local government to reopen in March. My friend said no one would come if they did open on Monday anyway. All her students parents have told her they won't be coming anytime soon, I'd imagine a lot of schools are in similar situations.

My restaurant is in Xishuangbanna, Yunnan. Last I heard we had 10 cases in that town (again I'm not there now so I don't know first hand what it's like)... my employees are itching to get back to work but they said nothing else is open and have sent me videos of the empty streets. I haven't seen any new news there yet but we were supposed to open on Monday. I think I'll have them go and give it a shot at least for a few hours.

Scanning the Shanghai Expats Facebook group has tons of people saying they aren't going back to work til later in the month, and some university students said their next semester start is delayed til March.

I'd guess officially everything is meant to open again Monday but most places still won't be open.

edit: another friend works at a gym in Shanghai, we were talking yesterday she said the local government has told all gyms should stay closed until March.
Thanks - great info

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's gotta be a better way to do this or else this is going to go on for months with everyone getting infected.
Japan took the gamble that it wasn't airborne and it would be cheaper to quarantine at sea than on land.
Now it looks like they will have to hospitalize/treat/quarantine a couple thousand foreigners in Japan on land.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Japan took the gamble that it wasn't airborne and it would be cheaper to quarantine at sea than on land.
Now it looks like they will have to hospitalize/treat/quarantine a couple thousand foreigners in Japan on land.
I highly doubt passengers in separate cabins are being infected through the air, it's that this is day 4 (IIRC) and there's a long incubation period.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watch NBC Nightly News just now showing people being dragged out of their homes and people being taken off the street and put into little metal boxes in China. It was so disturbing to watch. China government can get stuffed. 😠
If some of these new videos coming out are real they have also resorted to sealing people up in their homes.

Mar 29, 2018
umm this is all just stuff picking up from friends and not official policy but ... my gf is in shenzhen and some places are opening Monday but not a lot. She has her own online business and she deals with factories (mostly the factories represented at 华强北) but they aren't opening Monday. 华强北 was originally opening back up on 17th but now that's postponed til later in the month. Means all those factories also won't be opening Monday.

my friend in Dongbei (Liaoning province) has a kindergarten. Only one case of corona virus in that town but their school has been told by local government to reopen in March. My friend said no one would come if they did open on Monday anyway. All her students parents have told her they won't be coming anytime soon, I'd imagine a lot of schools are in similar situations.

My restaurant is in Xishuangbanna, Yunnan. Last I heard we had 10 cases in that town (again I'm not there now so I don't know first hand what it's like)... my employees are itching to get back to work but they said nothing else is open and have sent me videos of the empty streets. I haven't seen any new news there yet but we were supposed to open on Monday. I think I'll have them go and give it a shot at least for a few hours.

Scanning the Shanghai Expats Facebook group has tons of people saying they aren't going back to work til later in the month, and some university students said their next semester start is delayed til March.

I'd guess officially everything is meant to open again Monday but most places still won't be open.

edit: another friend works at a gym in Shanghai, we were talking yesterday she said the local government has told all gyms should stay closed until March.
gyms must be proper horror

All these hands touching and sharing all this equipment

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man those numbers really are not slowing down at all.

It seems to be spreading into South/Southeast Asia faster than quarantines can catch up with it. Do we have any idea how this affects perfectly healthy folk?

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Funny News in Hong Kong. A woman came back from China started to develop a fever. Her husband refused her entry. The whole family of four had to be sent to hospital.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
www.worldometers.info

COVID Live - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Live statistics and coronavirus news tracking the number of confirmed cases, recovered patients, tests, and death toll due to the COVID-19 coronavirus from Wuhan, China. Coronavirus counter with new cases, deaths, and number of tests per 1 Million population. Historical data and info. Daily...

Look at the log scale

Yeah, it's slowing down slightly based on the log scale, but I'm just hoping these numbers are truly accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.