• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Westerdam cruiser account

- night before they were denied entry into Japan free open bar to calm down people
- only $250 given for cancelled airplane tickets
- yesterday we asked a nurse what was happening in the sick bay, to which she sort of evaded the question but did note there was a lot of activity
- upon request, passengers can receive a voucher for two hours worth of free WiFi
- possible final destination could be Hawaii with no quarantine since the boat is acting as a quarantine
jfc even the Yokohama folks are getting free wifi

Cheap bastards.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand how this can go on. Treatment or cure must be found soon. Can't believe we still can't eradicate the flu in 2020 :(

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
So, my brother works in UK manufacturing, but the company he works for uses parts from China.

They were sent extra inventory for the Chinese new year and have stuff in stock but they don't really have a plan for the possibility that China might not get it's production back up. It's a bit worrying.

Last edited:

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Westerdam cruiser account

- night before they were denied entry into Japan free open bar to calm down people
- only $250 given for cancelled airplane tickets
- yesterday we asked a nurse what was happening in the sick bay, to which she sort of evaded the question but did note there was a lot of activity
- upon request, passengers can receive a voucher for two hours worth of free WiFi
- possible final destination could be Hawaii with no quarantine since the boat is acting as a quarantine
Wtf. So what, that cruise is expected to just keep sailing around till the coronavirus is over?

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy, no way Hawaii people gonna let them dock, we have 0 facility here to quarantine people in case shit hit the fan
Prolly a US navy base if they want to quarantine. If they don't want to quarantine idk who is going to take that kind of risk.

Lawyers are prolly seeing who will take that kind of risk

There's apparently a quarantine facility at Pearl Harbor...

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Serious question.
Is there any sign of a cure and vaccine on the horizon? Has there been in advancement towards that?

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
That's good to know but that timeframe though...

Creating a vaccine of a novel virus in under a year is unheard of, to my knowledge. The only reason flu vaccines hit annually is through constant tracking of dominant strains and our knowledge of the virus itself, and even then the reason flu shots are between 30-70% effective is because we can only prepare them based on the previous year's knowledge.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Creating a vaccine of a novel virus in under a year is unheard of, to my knowledge. The only reason flu vaccines hit annually is through constant tracking of dominant strains and our knowledge of the virus itself, and even then the reason flu shots are between 30-70% effective is because we can only prepare them based on the previous year's knowledge.
Didn't they make swine flu vaccine in around 10 months?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Also in better news, a 91 year old man recovered in Yichang and a 95 year old woman recovered in Nanjing.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they make swine flu vaccine in around 10 months?

Yes, but they had vaccines for other flus to work with and adapt. There aren't any vaccines for any other coronavirus so researchers have to start from scratch.

Still, there's been some interesting developments. Rapid genetic sequencing is at a level that's light years from where it was in 2009. I've read that some teams are using new methods where they attempt to create antigens by synthesising them based on the genetic sequence, without having to wait for virus isolates that aren't widely available yet. That could speed up the early stages of development but you still need extensive periods of time for testing and setting up a supply line.

Assuming the new methods work, that is, The researchers that use it need to figure out which antigen to synthesise on their own, which isn't easy. If they pick the wrong antigen, the vaccine would be useless and they'd need to start over.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like the American who died in Wuhan was a 60 year old woman with underlying health conditions.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
Yes, but they had vaccines for other flus to work with and adapt. There aren't any vaccines for any other coronavirus so researchers have to start from scratch.

Still, there's been some interesting developments. Rapid genetic sequencing is at a level that's light years from where it was in 2009. I've read that some teams are using new methods where they attempt to create antigens by synthesising them based on the genetic sequence, without having to wait for virus isolates that aren't widely available yet. That could speed up the early stages of development but you still need extensive periods of time for testing and setting up a supply line.

Assuming the new methods work, that is, The researchers that use it need to figure out which antigen to synthesise on their own, which isn't easy. If they pick the wrong antigen, the vaccine would be useless and they'd need to start over.
How would the clinical trials for something like this even be conducted? Give half of suspected cases the trial drug and the other half a placebo?

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you for following up that question more concisely than I was going to.

How would the clinical trials for something like this even be conducted? Give half of suspected cases the trial drug and the other half a placebo?

It's some heavy reading, but generally -

The simplest design involves randomization of equal numbers of subjects to the candidate vaccine and control groups (that is, 1:1). In trials that employ a control group that is not vaccinated against the disease to be prevented, but some clinical data are available to support the likely efficacy of the candidate vaccine, it may be appropriate (subject to statistical considerations and an assessment of the impact on the total trial sample size) to use unbalanced randomization (for example, 2:1 or 3:1) to reduce the chance that individual subjects will be randomized to the control group, thus ensuring that the majority of trial subjects receive the candidate vaccine.

Trials may be planned to follow trial subjects for a fixed period after the last dose of the primary series. The time at which the primary analysis is conducted should take into account the anticipated rates of the disease under study in each treatment group, including the unvaccinated control group if applicable. Other considerations regarding the timing of the primary analysis may include the possible importance of having some information on the duration of protection before licensure occurs, the feasibility of following up subjects for prolonged periods, and whether or not the vaccine could address a pressing unmet need (for example, in an outbreak situation where there is no approved vaccine to prevent the disease).

Alternatively, a case-driven approach may be taken based on the anticipated rates of the primary efficacy end-point in the control group and the expected or minimum desirable level of efficacy of the candidate vaccine. In this design the primary analysis is conducted once a pre-specified total number of cases has been detected – based, in a double-blind setting, on the anticipated numbers in test and control groups required to demonstrate the projected vaccine effect.

Alternative designs that allow for comparison with a control group that is not vaccinated against the disease to be prevented may, at least in the short term, include the following:

■ In a randomized stepped wedge trial, the candidate vaccine is administered to predefined groups in a sequential fashion. Each predefined group is a unit of randomization. These may be geographical groups or groups defined by host factors (for example, age) or other factors (for example, attendance at a specific school or residence within a specific health-care facility catchment area). Such a design may be chosen when there is good evidence to indicate that the vaccine will do more good than harm (affecting the equipoise associated with randomization to a control group that is not vaccinated against the disease to be prevented) and/or when it is impossible to deliver the intervention to all trial participants within a short time frame.

■ In a ring vaccination trial, the direct contacts (and sometimes secondary contacts) of a case may be randomized to vaccine or control or may be randomized to receive immediate vaccination or vaccination after a period of delay (21). This type of post-exposure cohort trial usually requires smaller sample sizes than prospective randomized controlled trials.

Ring vaccination trials may be particularly applicable when the infectious disease to be prevented is associated with a relatively high incidence of secondary cases in susceptible populations. Therefore the use of this trial design requires prior knowledge of the infectivity of the infectious agent and of the proportion of infections that are clinically apparent, as well as of the general susceptibility of the trial population.

Ring vaccination trials may not be appropriate if the vaccination regimen requires multiple doses over an extended period to induce a protective immune response.

The follow-up period for subjects after contact with the index case should extend to the upper limit of the incubation period, taking into account both the period during which the index cases were infectious and the contact period. The inclusion period for new cases and controls and their contacts following the detection of the first case should be stated in the protocol. The duration of the inclusion period should take into account the potential for introducing bias if the disease incidence changes over time.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
But I plan to visit Singapore next month :(

it's not shockingly different, but we did go to Orange Alert last night, hence the video duckroll linked of the run on groceries (Specifically: instant noodles, tissues, toilet paper, and rice). There is no quarantine of the country so they will continually restock, but well, the alert is enough to trigger everyone's survival response. Restaurants are still open.
  • The govt did hand out masks to most of the population but only recommends it for those feeling ill. I'd still say about 1/4th of people I see wear one, but ymmv. I know for expats some condos also handed some out.
  • Handshakes are discouraged
  • Cancellation of most large public gatherings is ongoing (concerts, trade shows, school events)
  • People who are sick for any reason are encouraged to stay home.
  • N95 masks are generally sold out everywhere.
The concern of course would be red alert, at which point schools close, maybe a curfew or pressure to have people work from home, but for now it'a a bit of a rerun in that apparently there was also an orange alert during the height of SARS and H1N1?

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was the H1N1 more lethal than this coronavirus? I remember the world was in panic at the time but I don't remember how bad it got.

Mar 29, 2018
The cruise industry is going to be so wrecked from 2020 onwards. For a long time.

Was the H1N1 more lethal than this coronavirus? I remember the world was in panic at the time but I don't remember how bad it got.
I think it had a higher mortality rate, but was way less virulent so spread a fraction as much/frequently

I don't understand how this can go on. Treatment or cure must be found soon. Can't believe we still can't eradicate the flu in 2020 :(
? It's a new supervirus that developed because animals were being kept in terrible conditions, passing the virus back and forth until it became more deadly

It's entirely our fault and it's not a normal flu. It's new - we don't have immunity to it

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Just to get an idea of how far behind we are when it comes to detecting potential outbreaks worldwide.

Last edited:

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Local transmission in France.

The most eyebrow raising thing is that the city where it happened has "Contaminate" in its name (Contamines-Montjoie )

It's worrying because it's the season of wintersports in France, colleagues left yesterday for that area (Haute Savoie), a lot of human contact happening, cafes are full for hot wine and other local specialties.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
As have been said before, this is not the flu.
As for the flu itself, or other diseases in general, our biggest enemy is ignorance. Some people can't even take a moment to wash their hands, and get their vaccines.

My girlfriend's uncle died from it. It could have been a dangerous pandemic, but turned out to be mild. Governments were blamed for it but I think they did the right thing by investing money in prevention.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Just to get an idea of how far behind we are when it comes to detecting potential outbreaks worldwide.

At this point it seems like containment is impossible. This is a 4th degree transmission. People all over the world might have it right now and not realize it yet, and by all account they could be spreading it as we speak, without getting detected. In a week or two, this might hit hard.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chen Qiushi the Beijing lawyer turned reporter who took to youtube to speak out against China's handling of nCov apparently got "disappeared" by Chinese police, turns out he has nCov and is forcibly quarantined

maxresdefault.jpg

Do we have accurate mortality rates at this point?
I don't think anybody believes the Chinese data and the international sample sizes are too small

Nov 20, 2017
Wuhan Weibo user posted a Strategy to enter in Japan. It says that you can enter Japan if you are from Hubei but have a passport not issued there and if you say you haven't been there in the past 14 days.

He later clarified that he's been based in Shenzhen for a long time, just that his hometown was in Hubei, and he has not been in Wuhan for the past 2 months since his family is all in Shenzhen.

我来澄清一下这件事
首先我是常年深圳生活,深圳户口的武汉人,护照是广东签发,出生地是湖北。我已经快2个月没有去过武汉了,因为我一家人都定居在深圳。
并且我身体健康不感冒不发烧不咳嗽,入境是完全合法合理未隐瞒任何信息。

所以如果大家不相信我所说的信息,希望联系日本警视厅移民局举报我都 ..

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Chen Qiushi the Beijing lawyer turned reporter who took to youtube to speak out against China's handling of nCov apparently got "disappeared" by Chinese police, turns out he has nCov and is forcibly quarantined

maxresdefault.jpg
I wonder if he will also die twice like that whistle-blower doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.