• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the virus eventually go away on its own like the flu? I haven't been following this too much because it stresses me out. Does their need to be a a vaccine?

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Lots of angry post in Chinese social media about the death of the whistle blower, with some questioning whether he is murdered.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently nCov is taking a terrible toll on the healthcare workers over there who were probably understaffed for this disaster as it is
Wish there was something I could do for them

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I have a sore throat following a recent trip to Mexico. No other symptoms really. Any number of causes -- viral, bacterial, nasal drip, dry air (going from tropical back to wintry Canada, hah), etc. Popped into a pharmacy for a medicated lozenge or something. Pharmacist goes, "you should really check this out with a doctor. It could be Coronavirus."

That...seems a bit like a reckless thing to say as a medical/pharma. professional, no? That's like making the leap from headache to brain cancer.

D23

Oct 25, 2017

Total now - there are currently *30,811 confirmed cases worldwide, including *635 fatalities.

bnonews.com

Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline

The table below shows cases of coronavirus (officially known as SARS-CoV-2, COVID-19, or 2019-nCoV) around the world. Each figure is verified by our team through local health departments or local media. A distribution map and a timeline with a list of recent updates can be found below the table...

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
I have a question about this. I am located in The Netherlands and so far it seems it hasn't been found here....yet. If it were to happen, should I go into "panic" mode, so to speak?

I'm asking this because I was told the virus isn't an immediate risk if your immune system is strong enough, if you're healthy and not older than 50. I myself am 37. That if it were to hit me it would be like a regular flu but only would last longer for me, is that true?

I probably don't even need to ask what this would mean for my stepfather who is terminally ill and is also a diabetic. :(
It won't reach you and if it did you'll be fine. The very, very worst case is you'd have slightly damaged lungs from the pneumonia.

Aug 26, 2019

Total now - there are currently 30,811 confirmed cases worldwide, including 635 fatalities.
bnonews.com

The table below shows cases of coronavirus (officially known as SARS-CoV-2, COVID-19, or 2019-nCoV) around the world. Each figure is verified by our team through local health departments or local media. A distribution map and a timeline with a list of recent updates can be found below the table...

At the very least, that's slightly fewer new cases than yesterday, right?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I get this thread is emotional to a lot of people, but this shit is not necessary
Sorry, I found his post extremely irresponsible. People who have/think they have this virus need to be seen by medical professionals. They shouldn't just "wait it out." That's a great way to get vulnerable people critically ill or dead.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
Those hundreds were very, very likely people over 65 and/or otherwise unwell.

The mortality rate is lower than normal seasonal flu, currently.

What? No. It's totally not the case. Mortality rate of coronavirus is much, much higher - around 2% currently.

There are much more people having flu but mortality rate is less than 0,1%

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
At the very least, that's slightly fewer new cases than yesterday, right?

Yea, it was around 2900 yesterday.

635 fatalities.
1153 recovered.

The number of people in serious and critical condition in Hubei province has risen sharply, from 3,084 yesterday to 4,002 today.
The increasing number of critical and serious cases is concerning.

bnonews.com

Mar 29, 2018
What? No. It's totally not the case. Mortality rate of coronavirus is much, much higher - around 2% currently.

There are much more people having flu but mortality rate is less than 0,1%
What? I thought flu was the same or slightly higher, like 3%?

Actually I might be confusing it with something else. Maybe SARS

Still, it's hardly something to worry about if you're an average member of the population

This isn't true. The mortality rate is 50 times the normal seasonal flu
Right, I imagine I'm thinking of the wrong thing then

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Sorry, I found his post extremely irresponsible. People who have/think they have this virus need to be seen by medical professionals. They shouldn't just "wait it out." That's a great way to get vulnerable people critically ill or dead.

Pretty much every article and bit of news also says "a lot more people are likely infected with very mild symptoms and therefore go undiagnosed". That means that the CFR is likely much lower than the ~3% overall.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much every article and bit of news also says "a lot more people are likely infected with very mild symptoms and therefore go undiagnosed". That means that the CFR is likely much lower than the ~3% overall.
Ok, but how does that contradict anything I said in the post you directly quoted?

Rowsdower

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
To compare with the flu (US only)

From the CDC US:

Estimated Flu-Related Illnesses, Medical visits, Hospitalizations, and Deaths in the United States — 2018–2019 Flu Season | CDC

CDC calculates estimates of disease burden in the United States using surveillance data and modeling to adjust for sources of under-detection. Burden estimates for the 2018-2019 season found here.

For all ages:
Symptomatic Illness - 35,520,883
Medical Visits - 16,520,350
Hospitalizations - 490,561
Deaths - 34,157

The issue is that nCoV-2019 is still unknown. No one knows if it will become more deadly or weaken by mutation. It also has a much longer delay in symptoms; people can get pneumonia 1-2 weeks in after feeling better. Its also a lot more contagious then the flu at this point in time.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
To compare with the flu (US only)

From the CDC US:

Estimated Flu-Related Illnesses, Medical visits, Hospitalizations, and Deaths in the United States — 2018–2019 Flu Season | CDC

CDC calculates estimates of disease burden in the United States using surveillance data and modeling to adjust for sources of under-detection. Burden estimates for the 2018-2019 season found here.

For all ages:
Symptomatic Illness - 35,520,883
Medical Visits - 16,520,350
Hospitalizations - 490,561
Deaths - 34,157

The issue is that nCoV-2019 is still unknown. No one knows if it will become more deadly or weaken by mutation. It also has a much longer delay in symptoms; people can get pneumonia 1-2 weeks in after feeling better. Its also a lot more contagious then the flu at this point in time.

Even though probably not all flu deaths are after hospitalization, this would put the CFR of flu at nearly 7% of hospitalized cases.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Its been 9 years so maybe its shifted a lot but don't like most elderly in China reside in a household including adults? https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s40711-015-0011-0#Sec13

For elderly aged 65 and above, it is still very common for them—about 57 %—to live with their children, including grandchildren.

By contrast, this Pew article and graph show a differing picture in the U.S:
FT_19.09.24_HouseholdSize_2.png

Saying "It only affects people with preexisting health issues and the elderly" aside from the fact it targets the most vulnerable and less capable to fight it off economically and health-wise, I fear like is also ignoring the fact most elderly still reside in households with younger more able people, i.e yeah, mild fiu for healthy adults except when it transfers around the house.

Rowsdower

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Even though probably not all flu deaths are after hospitalization, this would put the CFR of flu at nearly 7% of hospitalized cases.

Yea, flu generally has a CFR of like 0.01%, but for people who get hospitalized for it, it can be between 7-10% depending on country.

It's why the flu shot is very important.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Its been 9 years so maybe its shifted a lot but don't like most elderly in China reside in a household including adults? https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s40711-015-0011-0#Sec13

Saying "It only affects people with preexisting health issues and the elderly" aside from the fact it targets the most vulnerable and less capable to fight it off economically and health-wise, I fear like is also ignoring the fact most elderly still reside in households with younger more able people, i.e yeah, mild fiu for healthy adults except when it transfers around the house.
Yup. Great idea to "just sit it out" when you're at risk of getting grandma and other family members infected and killed.

If anyone has an inkling that they might have it, they need to go to a medical provider asap and get tested and self-quarantine. No fucking around. A delayed response is why this turned into an epidemic in China.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

Total now - there are currently *30,811 confirmed cases worldwide, including *635 fatalities.

bnonews.com

It's nice to see the number for those recovering rising.

Mar 29, 2018

Nobody is saying that, simply that the only people at a realistic risk of death or health catastrophe are the old and infirm

Saying that doesn't handwave a single thing you said

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Anyone else find it suspicious that the doctor who whistle blew. Has now died of the virus

Mar 3, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.