• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2018
Could the virus mutate or already be mutated?
Any virus is borne of mutations from past viruses.

This one mutated into a hyper aggressive/effective state because animals in wild markets weren't treated properly so had weak immune systems. That meant they passed otherwise weak viruses back and forth repeatedly, making it more and more likely a weak virus would mutate in some way to let it infect humans or become more virile.

Viruses can mutate again in the human wild but I don't think it's too likely

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
You have a theory and that the link you gave does not support it. Nor does any of the official statement from the WHO.
I see you know moved to the theory that the WHO is lying because it's corrupt and in the pocket of China, I don't think there is much evidence for that either, but it is something the Radio Free Asia is pushing all over the web. I personally feel this is really unhelpful. The WHO is an important organization and undermining its legitimacy hurt our ability to fight such epidemics.
I never said that who was lying and you're putting words in my mouth so we're done here. there's a big difference between saying someone ont publicly criticize someone to outright lie.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
My bf has been teaching in South Korea for almost a year. Hes supposed to be coming home within a months time. I got a message from him this morning saying they pulled 5 kids out the school he works at for coming into contact with someone who has the virus.

Needless to say I'm very fucking concerned right now.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
The Japan cruise is just a disaster, don't they have any place better to contain these people?

I wish more countries actually had buildings where people could be quarantined when shit like this happens so these people could be transported to more open areas. After this virus, that kind of investment would be wise Alongside proper transportation to ensure the virus doesn't spread to the public.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I wish more countries actually had buildings where people could be quarantined when shit like this happens so these people could be transported to more open areas. After this virus, that kind of investment would be wise Alongside proper transportation to ensure the virus doesn't spread to the public.

Saudi Arabia has actually emptied out an entire medical facility in preparation, even though we have 0 confirmed cases.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't Australians quarantined on an island? Japan has a ton of small islands, right?

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Aren't Australians quarantined on an island? Japan has a ton of small islands, right?

Australia didn't just put people on a random small island. There is already a military base so having a few hundred people is probably doable. Where do you find an island that has facility to quarantine 3700 people?

Even if that imaginary island exists, how would you go there? The cruise ship cannot dock there so you are either air transport them or use connecting boat. Neither is desirable so may as well just leave them on a cruise where they can at least eat and sleep, then try to figure out the hard part later (e.g. no sun light and limited activity.

Mar 29, 2018
Worth noting that the doctors over there have been working insane hours and literally dying from exhaustion.

The legendary whistleblower must be one of the youngest cases, but must also have been living through some shit when he fell ill.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Hey I didn't say I was a logistics expert.

This whole thing sounds like a nightmare for supply chain planners.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
And whistleblowers

Not saying that's the case, just suspicious

Yup. The CCP can't be trusted at all so it's always going to be precarious when we get info from them and even worse when legitimate organizations are trying to work with them or come up with determinations based on co-operation. How can you have real co-operation when one of the partners is insidious.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Basically have a building empty on years where there is no need for a large scale quarantine?

elty

Oct 31, 2017
UK has the third case, contracted from Singapore. Pretty sure I read the news saying some Korean was infected in a business conference in Singapore so I wonder if it is the same one. I hope they track the participants down ASAP and check them before they transmit to other people.

Whitty pointed up the significance of the fact that the patient was infected in one of the 24 countries outside of China that have just 225 confirmed cases between them: "The person who caught this did not catch it in China, they caught it elsewhere in Asia. That's an important point from an epidemiological point of view because, whilst it's absolutely the case that by far the biggest risk remains in China … nevertheless there is now evidence of some limited transmission in a number of Asian countries."

Last edited:

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think countries are ready to quarantine thousands of people for at least 2 weeks
Japan have prepped a ferry boat with room for max 500 for quarantine.

But yeah those cruise ships have 1000-5000 and there are what 20-30 floating around the Pacific. I think the biggest one has been removed from service in Asia because it would be impossible to quarantine that many people.
China actually has ghost cities with hundreds of thousands of empty apartments buildings.
The problem is transporting tens of thousands of people

elty

Oct 31, 2017

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Literally gave them multiple chances, but go off I guess

Obviously I'm not a mod so I don't know exactly what the expectations and guidelines are for you, we all disagree with what he said, and he doubled down which is what got him banned presumably, but I'm like 90% sure dude isn't a native english speaker. Doesn't mean he should get a free pass, but probably should be moderated slightly differently than native speakers. That's assuming I'm correct about him being a non-native speaker at least, which I very well could be wrong. Moderating I'm sure is a difficult and thankless task, so thanks for doing it. I don't really have any reason to defend that guy and based strictly on literally what he said, he deserves a ban.

Mar 3, 2019
Man, fuck the CCP for their propaganda efforts and trying to mudy the water in terms of results and information. Currently the virus' spread in the province of Xinjiang is considered a "state secret", and I shudder to think of how much shittier the CCP will treat the uyghurs there under the guise of "state secrecy".

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, fuck the CCP for their propaganda efforts and trying to mudy the water in terms of results and information. Currently the virus' spread in the province of Xinjiang is considered a "state secret", and I shudder to think of how much shittier the CCP will treat the uyghurs there under the guise of "state secrecy".
State secret? Secret to whom? Everyone in Xinjiang knows about it. Everyone knows it's spreading.

Really don't understand what you mean.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering how do era mods moderate posts in non-English IE Chinese social media/Mandarin posts

We have Chinese speakers on the team.

kinda clear he's not a native speaker and probably didn't mean what you thought he meant.
Obviously I'm not a mod so I don't know exactly what the expectations and guidelines are for you, we all disagree with what he said, and he doubled down which is what got him banned presumably, but I'm like 90% sure dude isn't a native english speaker. Doesn't mean he should get a free pass, but probably should be moderated slightly differently than native speakers. That's assuming I'm correct about him being a non-native speaker at least, which I very well could be wrong. Moderating I'm sure is a difficult and thankless task, so thanks for doing it. I don't really have any reason to defend that guy and based strictly on literally what he said, he deserves a ban.

The likelihood that the comment was made out of ignorance rather than malice was factored into the leniency of the ban. Regardless, even seemingly "positive" remarks like that play into a long tradition of condescending to non-European peoples in the vein of such tropes as the "noble savage" and "magical negro." Even accounting for the possibility of the comment being made out of "innocent" intentions, we will not tolerate the promulgation of such tropes.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
State secret? Secret to whom? Everyone in Xinjiang knows about it. Everyone knows it's spreading.

Really don't understand what you mean.
The fact China is now trying to stop "negative" news from getting out as this thing is getting worse should tell you exactly what he means.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At this point, even experienced 'experts' should not casually throw up estimates like this. It is known that the Chinese government isn't thr most forthcoming with data. But quoting such numbers out of the air based on hypothetical scenarios does nothing except to cause uneccessary panic
The Chinese numbers are the number of people _confirmed_ to have the disease. Of course the real number is higher, the question is only how much

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly feel that Xi is being that cocky person that doesn't like to ask anybody for help, so as not to appear "weak", so he is in over his head and now panicking over bad press and curtailing any attempt to share legit information via social media.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I honestly feel that Xi is being that cocky person that doesn't like to ask anybody for help, so as not to appear "weak", so he is in over his head and now panicking over bad press and curtailing any attempt to share legit information via social media.

? China has been asking for international help left and right for the past week at least.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I have a question about this. I am located in The Netherlands and so far it seems it hasn't been found here....yet. If it were to happen, should I go into "panic" mode, so to speak?

I'm asking this because I was told the virus isn't an immediate risk if your immune system is strong enough, if you're healthy and not older than 50. I myself am 37. That if it were to hit me it would be like a regular flu but only would last longer for me, is that true?

I probably don't even need to ask what this would mean for my stepfather who is terminally ill and is also a diabetic. :(

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
? China has been asking for international help left and right for the past week at least.

I'm mainly referring to why they are acting so hush-hush regarding social media news, because it just comes off as showing their inability to contain the virus and the world knowing is affecting their pride.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I have a question about this. I am located in The Netherlands and so far it seems it hasn't been found here....yet. If it were to happen, should I go into "panic" mode, so to speak?

NO.

Doctor on CNN says he expects the virus to die out when summer comes, like SARS did. Nothing is sure of course, but no reason to panic, especially in The Netherlands.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017

I'm asking this because I was told the virus isn't an immediate risk if your immune system is strong enough, if you're healthy and not older than 50. I myself am 37. That if it were to hit me it would be like a regular flu but only would last longer for me, is that true?

I probably don't even need to ask what this would mean for my stepfather who is terminally ill and is also a diabetic. :(
This isn't ebola. It's essentially a more powerful flu. Don't panic.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
NO.

Doctor on CNN says he expects the virus to die out when summer comes, like SARS did. Nothing is sure of course, but no reason to panic, especially in The Netherlands.

A week ago or so, times flies so fast it could be longer ago, on the news it said someone with the virus had visited Rotterdam Airport. Thank God that turned out to be false though.

This isn't ebola. It's essentially a more powerful flu. Don't panic.

Got ya, definitely will keep calm then. Truly hope for all affected people that the virus will die out asap.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
A week ago or so, times flies so fast it could be longer ago, on the news it said someone with the virus had visited Rotterdam Airport. Thank God that turned out to be false though.

Do you know you actually have more chances to die from asteroid impact that in a plane crash? It's true.

Relax man, stress and anxiety are killers too.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
AP is reporting that Dr. Li Wenliang has passed away.

BEIJING (AP) — A Chinese doctor who got in trouble with authorities in the communist country for sounding an early warning about the coronavirus outbreak died after coming down with the illness Friday, a hospital reported.
The Wuhan Central Hospital said on its social media account that Dr. Li Wenliang, a 34-year-old ophthalmologist, was "unfortunately infected during the fight against the pneumonia epidemic of the new coronavirus infection."
"We deeply regret and mourn this," it added.
Li was reprimanded by local police for "spreading rumors" about the illness in late December, according to news reports. The outbreak, centered in Wuhan, has now infected over 28,200 people globally and killed more than 560.

Status
Not open for further replies.