• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They won't let people out of their cabins? They can't even go walk around or anything? There are no windows? That sounds like legitimately criminal. Hell, even prisoners in solitary confinement in the US get like 45 minutes a day of "recreation time."
You pay more for windows, example of pricing.
$1000 for no windows
$2000 for one window
$2500 for balcony with chair
$10,000 fully furnished with walk-able balcony and hot tub

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
You pay more for windows, example of pricing.
$1000 for no windows
$2000 for one window
$2500 for balcony with chair
$10,000 fully furnished with walk-able balcony and hot tub
Cruises sound freaking awful.
I would rather have people assume I'm sick and have access to fresh air than have people assume I am okay and be locked up in a floating prison.
I second this. That sounds like the absolute worst imaginable existence to be trapped in there.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I would rather have people assume I'm sick and have access to fresh air than have people assume I am okay and be locked up in a floating prison.
Cruises sound freaking awful.

I second this. That sounds like the absolute worst imaginable existence to be trapped in there.

I would bet that it's not worse than being infected with a potentially deadly disease on a ship with no real medical facilities. I'm sure the healthy people would rather stay healthy and confined than get infected and sick with something that has a decent chance of killing them at worst, and making them very ill at best.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
The whole situation with that cruise ship in general is fucked up. They need to find some place to 'host' the people on the cruise ship if they don't want to be confined to their rooms. And they best start looking now anyways because I have feeling this won't be the last similar occurrence of something like this happening short of canceling all cruise liners. Some of these people are liable to get sick from other things if not allowed to get at least some fresh air.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Then everyone onboard will become sick and you will have sentenced roughly a dozen or so people to death for no reason. Good thing you're not in charge of this situation.
Cruise ships are not built to keep people in their rooms. Literally they are only for sleeping. The entire purpose is to be out on the deck, eating, doing activities, seeing shows. The room itself would be an absolutely hellhole for more than a day without being able to leave it

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Cruise ships are not built to keep people in their rooms. Literally they are only for sleeping. The entire purpose is to be out on the deck, eating, doing activities, seeing shows. The room itself would be an absolutely hellhole for more than a day without being able to leave it

Yes, but let me reiterate, the other options is you get very ill and perhaps die, and cause a thousand people to get very ill and perhaps die as well

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure people can manage to watch TV and play on their phones/laptops/tablets for two weeks. It'll be pretty grim, but being bored for two weeks is better than having coronavirus (or even a regular flu, which would make you feel fucking awful for a week).
The virus won't spread if people stay in their quarters and everyone will be fine. I just pity anyone with kids.
Worse things happen at sea, as they say.

Deleted member 50193

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
So I'm guessing cruise trips are out of the question until this virus is contained and/or an effective vaccine is made.

I shudder more and more when I think about the impact this will have on the economy if it is not stopped in its tracks.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure people can manage to watch TV and play on their phones/laptops/tablets for two weeks. It'll be pretty grim, but being bored for two weeks is better than having coronavirus (or even a regular flu, which would make you feel fucking awful for a week).
The virus won't spread if people stay in their quarters and everyone will be fine. I just pity anyone with kids.
Depends. A lot of seniors go on these for the social factors. Dressing up to go eat and watching shows.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017

Correct answer is setup a quarantine zone, and get them off the ship as soon as possible. Some Prisons have more room to move around, have more light then a cruise ship quarters depending how much you paid to get on one. And even if that isn't happening for this cruise, they better find a better solution for the inevitable second one that has this issue. Cruise ships are notorious sickness zones and they should be off them as soon as possible if something like this happens again.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but let me reiterate, the other options is you get very ill and perhaps die, and cause a thousand people to get very ill and perhaps die as well

They're not going to be able to keep people in their cabins for two weeks. There's no way to enforce and there's no way that people will comply. It would be equal to solitary confinement and borderline torture. It's not even medically safe due to consequences like increased stress levels and lack of physical exercise.

Either they find some way for people to have the opportunity to move around, for instance by coming up with a rotating fresh air schedule between cabins, or they're going to face mass disobedience.

I suspect that the person writing that article is going off speculation and extrapolation. What they're describing is unworkable.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
72 more deaths (564)

about 500 more critical/serious (3,223)

3081 more cases now at 27,649

recovered at 1045

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
They need to get off the ship. I'm not convinced that they can't catch it inside the cruise ship already. How are they going to clean it? How are people going to get food? Those hallways etc are not meant to be feeding the entire ship in the quarters.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
It's safe to assume that you would. Coronavirus sets deep in the lungs and the possible pneumonia would be a concern too I'd imagine. You may not be any more prone to catching it, but you'd likely be at an increased risk from the side effects.
Yeah from what I can tell it's like flu which is already bad for asthmatics (and why we get flu jabs) due to the inflammation of the lungs but with an increased chance of developing pneumonia which would be really bad.

I have the same dilemma but it shouldn't be too hard for me to cancel so I can afford to wait a few weeks and see how things develop.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
They need to get off the ship. I'm not convinced that they can't catch it inside the cruise ship already. How are they going to clean it? How are people going to get food? Those hallways etc are not meant to be feeding the entire ship in the quarters.

Its also why Norovirus spreads so easily on a Cruise Ship. Its just not possible to expect people to literally be confined to a room that wasn't meant for you do anything else but sleeping for 2 whole weeks. Are they going to hire some new staff to personally go door to door handing out food, making sure they kept in good condition? What about checks on how they are doing, what if someone falls ill or has a different medical episode separate from the virus? Can you guarentee after 10 people were found positive with the virus that whole ship isn't already a festering pool of the virus. Get them off the ship, move them to a specialized quarantine zone where they are setup to be cared for, have appropriate air/sun light and can be properly monitored for signs of sickness.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Its also why Norovirus spreads so easily on a Cruise Ship. Its just not possible to expect people to literally be confined to a room that wasn't meant for you do anything else but sleeping for 2 whole weeks. Are they going to hire some new staff to personally go door to door handing out food, making sure they kept in good condition? What about checks on how they are doing, what if someone falls ill or has a different medical episode separate from the virus? Can you guarentee after 10 people were found positive with the virus that whole ship isn't already a festering pool of the virus. Get them off the ship, move them to a specialized quarantine zone where they are setup to be cared for, have appropriate air/sun light and can be properly monitored for signs of sickness.
Exactly. Right now the cabins themselves need to be scrubbed and disinfected. I guarantee that didn't happen and now they are just sitting in them festering. Did they even properly clean the hallways? They can't be preparing food on the ship and should be bringing it from elsewhere. That would be a nightmare

Mar 26, 2018
So I'm currently in UK from China. I prettg much have all the details of what they are or aren't doing.

First of all there were only 4 planes in the international terminal operating.

1. London
2. 3 HK
3. Some place I don't even know

Not a lot of people here due to limited flights.

Went through the checks and stuff and nothing too complex. They use the heat screens and while on the plane they check every passenger.

They pass out a form before boarding for name etc and also one with info and a number if you feel sick but it seems a lot of passengers weren't always trying so the things I don't get is the ones poking at thier make up while getting off the plane and the ones eating things like oranges and peeling them. Then they are pretty much let loose and even the customs in UK looked as if it was a normal day mostly.

If anyone was sick on the plane id definetly be worried about the spread due to these issues.

For the most part the travel to the airport was a bit errie as well just because of it being overall dead although not completely

I feel bad for these people. Most of them are so genuine and a child like friendliest to them. I've always had great exoerinces and tons of help from strangers and it's just so u fair to me.

But I have another plabe tomorrow so well see how this situation plays out

Mar 29, 2018
feel bad for these people. Most of them are so genuine and a child like friendliest to them
The people working at the airport?

Exactly. Right now the cabins themselves need to be scrubbed and disinfected. I guarantee that didn't happen and now they are just sitting in them festering. Did they even properly clean the hallways? They can't be preparing food on the ship and should be bringing it from elsewhere. That would be a nightmare
Uhh I'm pretty sure the virus, like any, quickly dies on any non living surface like cabin plastic and wood. Like, within 2-3 days any possible vestige of the virus will be dead (like with any flue).

This sounds like mega OTT germaphobia

Mar 26, 2018
User banned (1 month): Racist generalizations
The people working at the airport?

Uhh I'm pretty sure the virus, like any, quickly dies on any non living surface like cabin plastic and wood. Like, within 2-3 days any possible vestige of the virus will be dead (like with any flue).

This sounds like mega OTT germaphobia
All of the people of China as they are very kind and just simple minded for the most part. The ones in the airport looked fairly unfazed honestly.

I assume they will close the airports completely soon

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The amount of people infected on the cruise ship off the coast of Japan has doubled to 20 https://www3.nhk.or.jp/shutoken-news/20200206/1000043608.html
According to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, a virus test was conducted on people who had symptoms such as fever and their close contacts on a cruise ship on which a Hong Kong man infected with the new coronavirus was on, and 10 people were infected with the virus. Was newly confirmed.
So far, a total of 20 passengers have been confirmed infected with this cruise ship.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would just assume everyone on board is sick, and let the people roam freely.

At first maybe only 10 persons are infected.
Everyone is allowed to roam.
Infection rate roars, soon everyone is infected.
Responders are now at a higher risk of being infected.
Trash piles up, thrown overboard or must be collected by people coming and going, all increasing the risk of infection beyond.
Food and other supplies must be brought in, increasing chances of contact and infection with those who deliver the supplies, so supplies are delivered by drone.
Responders stay on board permanently to reduce risk of transmission beyond.
Sanity goes down.
Cruise ship is abandoned as cases soar throughout the world beyond as treatment or containment capacity and resources are no longer available.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm currently in UK from China. I prettg much have all the details of what they are or aren't doing.

First of all there were only 4 planes in the international terminal operating.

1. London
2. 3 HK
3. Some place I don't even know

Not a lot of people here due to limited flights.

Went through the checks and stuff and nothing too complex. They use the heat screens and while on the plane they check every passenger.

They pass out a form before boarding for name etc and also one with info and a number if you feel sick but it seems a lot of passengers weren't always trying so the things I don't get is the ones poking at thier make up while getting off the plane and the ones eating things like oranges and peeling them. Then they are pretty much let loose and even the customs in UK looked as if it was a normal day mostly.

If anyone was sick on the plane id definetly be worried about the spread due to these issues.

For the most part the travel to the airport was a bit errie as well just because of it being overall dead although not completely

I feel bad for these people. Most of them are so genuine and a child like friendliest to them. I've always had great exoerinces and tons of help from strangers and it's just so u fair to me.

But I have another plabe tomorrow so well see how this situation plays out
Well I'm glad you were able to get out!

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
China's government released the report for February 5th about half an hour ago but for some reason deleted it again, guessing the numbers were incorrect.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel bad for these people. Most of them are so genuine and a child like friendliest to them.
All of the people of China as they are very kind and just simple minded for the most part.
zwKlXtf.gif

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Following its pork crisis, China's poultry farmers are now in dire straits because of the coronavirus outbreak. Millions of chickens may soon perish in coming days as much-needed feed is not getting to them in time.

The shutdowns in China's provinces have hit supply chains, with transport restrictions preventing much needed animal feed such as soybean meal from getting delivered to poultry farms, according to analysts and Chinese state media.

RIP 🐔🐤

Mar 26, 2018
Things have been rough for sure. But could be worse

I do get super anxiety on olanes and not looking forward to it and the support is welcome. I have had panic attacks in the past but kept them under control the last 3 years or so

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
When I went to china I was greeted by hakuna matata from everyone. I mean the entire song...took me a day or so to get out of the airport.

This is not a true story.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I get what he was trying to say and I also think he isn't a native English language speaker, but lol at his post and doubling down.

also I'm pretty sure that's our old friend Jack the Nipper if anyone remembers him. Posts in a similar way and they both share anxiety about flying and have some relation with Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.