• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

SAN JOSE (KRON) – We're learning more information about one of the confirmed coronavirus cases and the days leading up to the patient's treatment before he was quarantined.

Health officials confirm that the patient sought medical care at Good Samaritan Hospital in San Jose on January 28.

The Santa Clara County Health Department confirms several employees were exposed to the virus through that patient.

The hospital says the patient, infected with the coronavirus, briefly sought care here last week.

As a result, five employees have been exposed to the virus and sent home to self-isolate until February 11.

On Tuesday, KRON4 learned one of the four confirmed coronavirus patients in Northern California sought treatment at two medical facilities, one of them being Good Samaritan Hospital in San Jose.

yikes

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
What are the symptoms I should look for ?

I'm still in China and I've been having what I feel like is a light Cold for a few days, should I be worried ?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
"The man who tested positive for the virus is an 80-year-old from Hong Kong, the semiautonomous Chinese city said in a statement. The infected patient had not been to healthcare facilities or seafood markets, nor had he had exposure to wild animals during his incubation period -- meaning he likely contracted the virus from another human. The man visited mainland China for "a few hours" on January 10, the statement said.

The man flew into Tokyo -- the world's most populous city -- on January 17 with his two daughters, and two days later said he began developing a cough, Hong Kong authorities said. He boarded the cruise in Yokohama on January 20, and when it stopped back in Hong Kong on January 25, part of its pre-planned itinerary, he got off and never returned. He sought medical attention on January 30 and was diagnosed with the virus shortly after. He is currently in a stable condition."

All bad news unfortunately

Edit: another cruise ship...

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018
This is pretty near me so you know...that's...good. What's weird about this though is a local hospital has a state of the art quarantine center and they aren't taking them there? I don't really understand.

Oct 29, 2017
This is pretty near me so you know...that's...good. What's weird about this though is a local hospital has a state of the art quarantine center and they aren't taking them there? I don't really understand.

Because it's not a quarantine as in they have it, it's a quarantine as in they're being kept there until it's confirmed that they don't. If one of them has it, then they'll be at the hospital.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It's always the assholes that keep this shit spreading.

More irresponsible than driving a bus drunk for weeks.
It's easy to point at people doing this stuff and call them assholes, yes, but the way Chinese authorities have been handling this stuff also contributes to the psychology of why someone might do this. Instead of making it safe and secure for anyone who declares honestly, there have been many reports of how people declared that they've been to Wuhan and their information was leaked by authorities, they were ostracized by their communities entirely while on home quarantine, and so on. If there's a straightforward and non-judgemental form of handling this - like how it is in many countries now, most people would be comfortable to declare honestly to protect themselves and others. But when resources are stretched so much in China that even if you declare, you might be seen as a threat or burden, and you might not even get the treatment you need, that stress and anxiety can drive many people to want to avoid all the potential hassle.

If the example of drink driving, imagine a group of people going for drinks at night. After drinking they walk back to their cars, and there's an officer at the parking lot asking if anyone is drunk. If anyone admits they are drunk they get treated like a criminal and other people start throwing stones at him. Would it be unusual in this case for some people who feel they might be a little tipsy but don't want to be treated like that to declare they are not drunk and just get into their car and drive off? Yes it's irresponsible but as a society people should make declaring inconvenient things as easy as possible without added pressure.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
What are the symptoms I should look for ?

I'm still in China and I've been having what I feel like is a light Cold for a few days, should I be worried ?
Honestly, yes

Although you probably don't have it and you yourself will probably be fine either yway, you just don't want to spread it if you have it

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
From what I've read, I should also have shorter breath and a fever. I have none of those.
Still wearing a mask tho, but my situation would've gotten worse if it was the Coronavirus

It's my understanding that when it comes to this class of diseases, shorter breath is a serious sign that you should see a doctor. Milder cases might not have that.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Just contacted my travel agency, at worst I'll postpone my trip to Japan. Fortunately they are very accommodating and won't extra charge if I want to travel months later.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
It's my understanding that shorter breath is a serious sign to get medical help immediately. Milder cases might not have that.
Well, that doesn't make me feel better.
My coughing is very light and mostly in the morning only.
What should I do, I'm supposed to be leaving China to go back home in 2 days.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017

"Immediately" might have been too strong of a word, sorry.

Luckily coughing is a minor symptom and it still could be anything, or nothing at all.

Nov 20, 2017

"I watched the news everyday from my quarantine room and send my support to Wuhan," said the 50-year-old driver, who wore a surgical mask to conceal his identity at a news conference.

"Even I can beat it. So can you," the driver said as he was discharged from hospital.

"When I found out I had the virus, I cried because I have to take care of my family," the driver said. "But I don't have a bad feeling against tourists or the Chinese. I drive a taxi, tourists are my breadbasket."

Doctors praised the driver for stopping work and reporting himself as soon as he fell ill. His family have all tested negative for the virus.

NMNR

Oct 29, 2017
I believe Malaysia has 2 cases where the individuals have recovered from having the Coronavirus.

The article I read is from the straitstimes. Not sure how reliable they are but since I'm going to Malaysia for holiday in the coming weeks this is reassuring

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've read, I should also have shorter breath and a fever. I have none of those.
Still wearing a mask tho, but my situation would've gotten worse if it was the Coronavirus
Technically they also say that the symptoms can vary, there are some people who have the virus that show no symptoms at all at any point, so it's hard to say for sure.

Oct 30, 2017
Does the number of unconfirmed patients goes down? I haven't noticed. It would be nice to get a rate of how fast they are at confirming if people have the virus.

Or do they just keep increasing the number?

You would be able to tell with that rate how the spread is being slow, I think

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

they have those devices to measure the temperature on your face when you arrive. Get some over the counter stuff and rinse your mouth and throat with salt water

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018

I live literally 5-10 minutes away from the hospital in the UK that's been chosen as the quarantine centre over here. I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
What's the reported death rate still so far? If the infected hungers are drastically higher than a 2% death rate of current reported cases will more than likely make the mortality rate way lower as well.

Nov 20, 2017
What's the reported death rate still so far? If the infected hungers are drastically higher than a 2% death rate of current reported cases will more than likely make the mortality rate way lower as well.

Yeah it might be lower than 2%.

Fatalities from the coronavirus epidemic are overwhelmingly concentrated in central China's Wuhan city, which accounts for more than 73 per cent of deaths despite having only one-third the number of confirmed infections.

In Wuhan, the epicentre of the disease, one person has died for every 23 infections reported. That number drops to one on 50 nationally, and outside mainland China, one death has been recorded per 114 confirmed cases.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
yup most likely it will be like a typical seasonal flu since not all infected go down with severe symptoms like high fever and go unreported
Sounds like all this panic will do more harm than the actual virus itself. We might have an economic slowdown later this year from the halting of Chinese economic activity.

Erik Zarkov

Dec 4, 2017
Woo, doing a sudden HK border run tomorrow because we just got word that HK will be quarantining anyone crossing the border from the Mainland for 14 days starting Saturday.

hasan114

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its better to be safe. What you say seems to have been Chinese govt mentality when the virus initially spread leading us in this situation

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Both deaths and cases should be way higher in Hubei. If someone comes in and dies before being tested it is not counted as a Coronavirus death. So it's impossible to get accurate information since China has such a fucked up reporting system

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Both deaths and cases should be way higher in Hubei. If someone comes in and dies before being tested it is not counted as a Coronavirus death. So it's impossible to get accurate information since China has such a fucked up reporting system
But we also have data for cases Outside if China now as well.
Its better to be safe. What you say seems to have been Chinese govt mentality when the virus initially spread leading us in this situation
Caution is fine, I even encourage it. Until data shows is otherwise. And everyday we are getting better data.

Miss Piggy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm gonna do that, kinda worried they might stop me from going back home.

Hopefully you can be tested ASAP and turn out negative, then no need to worry. If you are positive, it's better you stay instead of infecting other people on the plane and taking the virus back to Canada. Wishing you the best, fingers crossed!

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
As the numbers situation in Wuhan was totally messed up from the starts, it's important to look at the growth and mortality rate in other Chinese cities. So far Huanggang and Xiaogan are the only other two Chinese cities to have over 1,000 cases and there it has a 1.5% and 1.2% mortality rate, compared to Wuhan's 4.3%.

Zhejiang and Guangdong will have 2k cases and 200 in serious/critical condition in the next report yet mysteriously no deaths. The likelihood of this even being remotely accurate is small. I wouldn't trust low death counts out of Wuhan as proof that it's not that bad

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Question is, why is the mortality so much higher in Wuhan then?

Viral pneumonia can quickly turn life-threatening, even in the West. The hospitals are overwhelmed now, and they don't have enough supplies.

Add to that that air quality in China is terrible, plus a lot of Chinese men smoke, which damages the lungs.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

The mortality rate definitely will keep lowering as more and more people don't get properly diagnosed with nCoV as they die at their homes or before getting to ICU. The situation in China is being drastically under reported.

Viral pneumonia can quickly turn life-threatening, even in the West. The hospitals are overwhelmed now, and they don't have enough supplies.

Add to that that air quality in China is terrible, plus a lot of Chinese men smoke, which damages the lungs.

I was reading that last night, about men in Wuhan being smokers and how that could be an important aspect of why this virus seems to be more aggressive towards men. So yes, having a weak respiratory system could lead to more serious complications and a much more aggressive pneumonia.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
We won't know a good mortality rate until we have about 200 cases outside of China. A combination of bad reporting, overtaxed resources, and other factors will make it unreliable. I think the most common agreement though is this is more lethal than the flu in its current state.

Status
Not open for further replies.