• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It makes sense that the fatalities shoot up when the cases increase. In the US a 35 year old man got pneumonia from it and recovered in intensive care. Imagine for a moment that you fall ill, get pneumonia, but the hospital is full. Suddenly your prognosis goes from an uncomfortable yet safe recovery to oh shit I might die.

Pretty much any condition, disease or accident will have their mortality rate increased, due the overwhelmed medical system.
In a city of 11 million the flu alone would have killed about 2000 (using US statistic) before the new virus.
I'm afraid that everything will just add up.

I think it should be stressed more that now the area most affected the new virus is not the only problem.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
So community transmission in Hong Kong is possible now? What's the policy on flights from there?

Even in Germany, hand sanitizer is sold out and I though I was singular in my neurosis.

Mar 3, 2019
Carrie Lam is the worst. Not only is she a stooge that gets all her orders from China, basically turning Hong Kong into a shadow of itself and causing the mass protests by pushing CCP policies directed from China, now shes telling reporters to stop wearing masks instead of you know...Actually closing the border and checking for the virus.Doctors and Nurses are going on strike to protest this policy and you have police threatening them. Oh and she also managed to import arresting peole for posting on social media about the virus and the innefectual policies, yet another trash thing the CCP has put into Hong Kong. It just makes my blood boil.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking of cancelling my Bangkok trip next week, but the Thailand subreddit is making it sound like it's not any less safe than where I am (Philippines) so I might still go but avoid any touristy places.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Carrie Lam is the worst. Not only is she a stooge that gets all her orders from China, basically turning Hong Kong into a shadow of itself and causing the mass protests by pushing CCP policies directed from China, now shes telling reporters to stop wearing masks instead of you know...Actually closing the border and checking for the virus.Doctors and Nurses are going on strike to protest this policy and you have police threatening them. Oh and she also managed to import arresting peole for posting on social media about the virus and the innefectual policies, yet another trash thing the CCP has put into Hong Kong. It just makes my blood boil.
Is the reason she won't fully close the borders because then she can't get her goon reinforcements if protesters act up again?

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
So my MIL lives in HK and sent my wife a video about the Coronavirus from InfoWars. It included such tidbits as: "Scientists have health concerns about 5G. Wuhan was declared a test to be the first market with 5G support, and scientists noticed it seemed to induce flu-like symptoms. It became full 5G on Halloween last year!" as well as the usual stuff about epidemic simulations using a coronavirus, and the fact that netflix just released a docuseries about epidemics. It was so full of shit, but I'm genuinely shocked that infowars managed to penetrate into HK and folks are starting to believe this kind of misinformation.

Mar 29, 2018
So my MIL lives in HK and sent my wife a video about the Coronavirus from InfoWars. It included such tidbits as: "Scientists have health concerns about 5G. Wuhan was declared a test to be the first market with 5G support, and scientists noticed it seemed to induce flu-like symptoms. It became full 5G on Halloween last year!" as well as the usual stuff about epidemic simulations using a coronavirus, and the fact that netflix just released a docuseries about epidemics. It was so full of shit, but I'm genuinely shocked that infowars managed to penetrate into HK and folks are starting to believe this kind of misinformation.
Holy Christ almighty

Mar 3, 2019
Is the reason she won't fully close the borders because then she can't get her goon reinforcements if protesters act up again?

Most likely, since once her "reinforcements" from China showed up is when the crackdown reached severe and more violent levels. Her only reasoning is that it would be discriminatory against China. I hate her so much.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017

WTF is this article? The subhead is "No, a regular surgical mask will not help you steer clear of the virus." And then the expert quoted int he article says "Could they be of some use? Yes, but the effect is likely to be modest," with the link going to an article that says "Masks play an important role in reducing transmission if they are worn properly." Fucking ace journalism there.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Holy Christ almighty
Yeah. It was pretty awful the stretches and conclusions they were trying to make. She also shares a lot of "information" about how the H1N1 was much worse since it killed 278,000 people and was first found in the US, but nobody was freaking out about it then or something. It's pretty sad to see her sharing that.

The worst part of the infowars stuff is that they never actually said their website name until the last 5 seconds sign-off "This is ___ with infowars" bit, so even if you're aware enough to not share infowars stuff it's possible to listen to that whole thing and follow it without that warning bell triggering.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
WTF is this article? The subhead is "No, a regular surgical mask will not help you steer clear of the virus." And then the expert quoted int he article says "Could they be of some use? Yes, but the effect is likely to be modest," with the link going to an article that says "Masks play an important role in reducing transmission if they are worn properly." Fucking ace journalism there.

Classic clickbait. "Yes, maybe, but also no."

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Mu daughter's school has just communicated to all parents that they should stay away from Chinatowns in major cities (i.e. Manchester, which is our closest and biggest) or, if we choose to ignore the advice, we should "self-isolate for 14 days".

That feels like a major overreaction, but I suppose you can't be too careful. Her school is attached to a boarding school that has a fair number of full-time and visiting Chinese students, so they're having to take some extreme precautions, I guess.

Honestly that just sounds like good old-fashioned British racism.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I don't think this is a terribly good article. The CDC is as always the best place for such information.

Also, masks are very important tool in preventing sick people from infecting others, and any person who is suspecting they might be sick should 100% wear one.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Idiotic /ignorant question.

If they discover a vaccine that works, do they just open the borders again and let the virus travel freely?

People working in the health system would be prioritized for the vaccine. The rest of the population would be able to receive it only months later, once mass production kicks in.

We are months / years away from that scenario anyway. The virus could die out way before that. I do hope they research more on these types of virus so a vaccine could be created more quickly for the next one.

This is much scarier than coronavirus.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
DW: Do you trust the official numbers of infections and deaths?

Jiesi Luo*: I think there are many more infections and deaths from coronavirus than have been officially reported. When preliminary tests determine that a patient has a lung sickness, the nucleic acid test (NAT), which detects viruses, cannot always be carried out because the waiting list is too long. The patient is therefore not diagnosed.

Furthermore, if someone dies from the lung sickness, and has not taken the NAT test, the fatality is not statistically registered as having been caused by the coronavirus.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first of two new hospitals has been opened in Wuhan, is that good news?

The 2,000 extra beds in the newly built hospitals are not enough, because there are not enough medical personnel. Doctors and nurses are completely overwhelmed and the system organizing shifts is collapsing. Long-term treatment is necessary to recover from a lung sickness. Authorities are currently mobilizing capacity in smaller clinics.
Ok now we got beds and testing kits but now there is personnel shortages.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
So I sell some masks at work.. in holland.. today I got requests for quotes from multiple Chinese, and Hong Kong authorities. This is really freaking me out. We are a small shop, so the supply must be abysmal.
Middle of Texas here. Every shop I have been to has been completely sold out of face masks.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I wonder if the Chinese people will revolt when this gets a lot worse or the CCP will just brush everything under a rug and say that everything is fine

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the Chinese people will revolt when this gets a lot worse or the CCP will just brush everything under a rug and say that everything is fine
They are used to party corruption and downplaying of bad news so no

But this could be the event that really slow growth. The WSJ had a good piece on it today. Basically lots of debt in local governments, banks are in on it, over capacity on factories and sluggish domestic demand and acceleration of the movement of supply chains moving in part or totally out of China due to existing trade war fears

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Regular masks (the blue ones, not the N95) protect us from ourselves, not from other people. Masks reduce the risk of touching our mouths or noses with our bare fingers. The virus survives on surfaces and it needs a carrier to get into our lungs. By wearing regular masks we're effectively reducing the risk of getting infected accidentally (since it seems we touch our face 2,000 times a day on average). It's definitely worth it.

Please be careful with these "videos", most of them are fake.

Some are fake (especially the ones that started circulating in the early days) but the most recent ones are definitely legit. You just have to triple check their origin. It's quite unfortunate to find unreliable sources that just twist the information to incite fear mongering in the audience. Also, I haven't seen those kind of videos posted in here, not just due to their disturbing nature but because you will rarely see them referenced in MSM.

I have no doubt in my mind that the numbers are vastly underreported.

At this point, I think that's a safe assumption to make.

Last edited:

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
The main reason Chinese people put up with their government's BS is that the economy keeps growing and people keep getting brought up out of poverty. If this reverses, then Xi's in danger of loosing his Mandate of Heaven to rule-- and shit will hit the fan for him. No matter how much I'd like to see Xi out of power, I worry about how this would effect Chinese people.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The main reason Chinese people put up with their government's BS is that the economy keeps growing and people keep getting brought up out of poverty. If this reverses, then Xi's in danger of loosing his Mandate of Heaven to rule-- and shit will hit the fan for him. No matter how much I'd like to see Xi out of power, I worry about how this would effect Chinese people.

Xi would happily take the entire country down with him if it were to ever come that far

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

You can read more here:

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-risk-of-reinfection-2020-2

"For those patients who have been cured, there is a likelihood of a relapse," he said in a briefing on Friday. "The antibody will be generated; however, in certain individuals, the antibody cannot last that long."

Doctors and virologists don't yet know enough about the Wuhan coronavirus to say whether humans develop full immunity after they've contracted the illness. According to Zhan, doctors aren't sure that the antibodies patients develop are strong or long-lasting enough to keep them from contracting the disease again. Viruses can also mutate quickly, so immunity to one strain doesn't guarantee immunity to another.

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
"reinfection possible after recovery with #coronavirus Chinese experts warn"

If true this would be the worst thing I've heard

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
bbc.co.uk/sounds...

"Since the outbreak of the Corona virus my Uncle has already passed away. My Father is critically ill now, and my Mom and Aunt have started showing some symptoms, and the CT scans shows their lungs are infected. My Brother is coughing too and has some breathing difficulties.

My Dad has a high fever now. His temperature was 39.3 yesterday and he's constantly coughing and having breathing difficulties. We bought him an oxygen machine at home and he relies on that 24/7.

There's no hospital for him to go to because his case hasn't been confirmed due to the lack testing kits in the hospitals. My Mom and Aunt walk to the hospital everyday in the hope of getting a bed for my dad, despite their own health situation. But no hospital will take them."

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
AFAIK that means the possibility it might re-emerge in a healthy person who has already seemed to beat a virus

we're not entirely sure what someone who has beaten this thing looks like in the long term

Precisely. You can read more here:

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-risk-of-reinfection-2020-2

"For those patients who have been cured, there is a likelihood of a relapse," he said in a briefing on Friday. "The antibody will be generated; however, in certain individuals, the antibody cannot last that long."

Doctors and virologists don't yet know enough about the Wuhan coronavirus to say whether humans develop full immunity after they've contracted the illness. According to Zhan, doctors aren't sure that the antibodies patients develop are strong or long-lasting enough to keep them from contracting the disease again. Viruses can also mutate quickly, so immunity to one strain doesn't guarantee immunity to another.

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
China is legit screwed it seems, I don't see this winding down any soon (upcoming months). Won't be end of the world pandemic but markets and general flow of goods will definitely feel it once more of China shuts down, not to mention all the victims in China (100% lowered data, it just has to be bigger looking at Wuhan alone).

If China won't insta ban all the grotesque live/wet markets after this, then I have no words.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
"reinfection possible"?????

Doctors and virologists don't yet know enough about the Wuhan coronavirus to say whether humans develop full immunity after they've contracted the illness. According to Zhan, doctors aren't sure that the antibodies patients develop are strong or long-lasting enough to keep them from contracting the disease again.

Viruses can also mutate quickly, so immunity to one strain doesn't guarantee immunity to another.
Baity titles.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
711 in critical condition, 1809 in serious condition in hubei

3064 of both combined for all of china (that's nearly a 50% increase over yesterday)

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
There was an early alarm saying Ecuador had it's first confirmed case. Still unknown.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.