• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Sick with symptoms that overlap a lot with this, but trying not to get panicked or worry too much about it. It's really hard though, and I can't imagine what that would be like for those that are more at risk than I am.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
This fucking thing has made it impossible to actually work. I'm already a severe hypochondriac (being treated) to the point where it's ruined years of my life. This is the kind of thing that I can't really deal with. 2020 is a disaster thus far, it feels like.

Oh man, I love your work, this whole situation sucks. As someone with an anxiety disorder I'd recommend you to stay away from this thread, but of course you already know that.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Thought this was a very interesting video. American going around and the hospital she went to was almost dead, as in no one was there except the workers. A very different look than what we have been seeing and panicking over at least..

She is actually going to work at the hospital which is both brave and kind of scary. Not sure what to think of it but she is for sure brave.

They have specific fever clinics that are designated to people with fever. Those are the facilities\hospital wards that are overwhelmed, but they still have healthcare facilities to treat regular illnesses. I would imagine that video is from the latter and not the former. If she took a picture of the hospital from the outside or just told its name it would be easy to figure out.

It's also nice that she cares and try to help, but I would also imagine having someone who doesn't speak Chinese running in a hospital there is not gonna be great.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
This fucking thing has made it impossible to actually work. I'm already a severe hypochondriac (being treated) to the point where it's ruined years of my life. This is the kind of thing that I can't really deal with. 2020 is a disaster thus far, it feels like.

Hey I feel that 100%. I was at a seminar the last two weekends at different places in Germany with lots of contact and was using hand disinfectant liberally. Whenever I look at this thread, I feel rising panic.

Always happy to talk about the situation in Germany if you feel that would help. I feel like they're being pretty good so far.

Mar 26, 2018
They have specific fever clinics that are designated to people with fever. Those are the facilities\hospital wards that are overwhelmed, but they still have healthcare facilities to treat regular illnesses. I would imagine that video is from the latter and not the former. If she took a picture of the hospital from the outside or just told its name it would be easy to figure out.

It's also nice that she cares and try to help, but I would also imagine having someone who doesn't speak Chinese running in a hospital there is not gonna be great.
and if you cant read chinese you cant stock shelves either

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hear you brother, it affected me a lot through the years.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I caught a cold from touching my driving instructors' steering wheel. Oh boy I'm totally not going to be irrationality paranoid next time!

Nephix

Nov 2, 2017
Well.. I guess I'll let the stuff I imported from China rest in the post office for a week or so just in case..

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
I'm immunocompromised and so have been watching this closely, but am not too worried about my personal safety at this time. I get supplies from China for my business, I am not worried about transmission via the supply chain.

Im much more worried about this year's flu strains than I am coronavirus.

I already follow pretty strict protocol because I am always immunocompromised. Hand washing for at least 30 seconds frequently. I only go out in public in the early morning, avoid all crowds, use hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes. I avoid public restrooms. After coming home from being out I sanitize all surfaces and handles. I sanitize my phone, keys, whatever I touched when I was out and about. I then go take a shower and wash the clothes I was wearing. This is my everyday existence so I feel pretty prepared.

I'm sharing this for anyone that has serious concerns, there are steps you can take that greatly diminish your risks or prep you could do that would make you feel better. If you have a normal immune system you don't have to have a whole involved routine.

It only takes 2 minutes to wipe down your phone, keys, and door handles with a Clorox wipe and then thoroughly wash you hands after. Your primary risk for the flu and coronavirus is from touching handles and surfaces in public and then eating or touching your face. Or you are touching surfaces, then your phone.

I wouldn't bother with those flimsy paper masks, they don't really filter much of anything. As others have said, even if someone infected sneezed right in your face you would still get it in your eyes. If things would get bad you would need a respirator with r95 or p100 cartridges along with some sort of eye protection and disposable gloves.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It only takes 2 minutes to wipe down your phone, keys, and door handles with a Clorox wipe and then thoroughly wash you hands after. Your primary risk for the flu and coronavirus is from touching handles and surfaces in public and then eating or touching your face. Or you are touching surfaces, then your phone.
Have you looked into copper door handles and such?

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Are these the same people that thought we were in WWIII a few weeks ago?

A lot of people, both on this board and in general, like to take bad situations and make them worse than they already are.

I legit had a panic attack from reading the posts in this thread. I'm trying to limit myself to once per day. People don't realize the impact their speculation and baseless posts are having on people with anxiety

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I legit had a panic attack from reading the posts in this thread. I'm trying to limit myself to once per day. People don't realize the impact their speculation and baseless posts are having on people with anxiety
It get's worse once you realize that this applies to other topics and not just Corona virus.

Most people need to take a deep breath, calmly apply some critical thinking skills, and maybe do some technical reading. All because this is a disease emergency doesn't mean that the world is getting ready to end.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I work from home, really, but my wife goes into the office. She had to fly from Germany to Poland for a trip too.

We're in a similar situation. I live in Seoul, and it's got its fair share of infected. I work from home quite a bit, but my wife works in a big office building full of international companies. There are people constantly coming in from all over the world, but the primary international companies in the building are from Japan, China and France.

They've canceled their business trip to Tokyo this month, and I have no idea when she'll have to go to China again, but yeah, it seems like these companies are taking things pretty seriously over here. I'm sure Europe is even better.

Last edited:

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
Yeah I'm gonna limit my views in this thread, my anxiety and hypochrondria is causing me havoc.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
My friend is still stuck there, he tried to go back to london in his business school but the school didn't want him there, and flights to Paris were cancelled it seems. He's not in a highly contaminated city but still that sucks..

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Sick with symptoms that overlap a lot with this, but trying not to get panicked or worry too much about it. It's really hard though, and I can't imagine what that would be like for those that are more at risk than I am.

I know the feeling. Came back from Thailand and doctor said I had beginning phase of pneumonia. Had this horrible cough that won't stop and slight shortness of breath. Think I may go to the doctor for the 3rd time tomorrow just to make sure everything is ok

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Interesting.... is a crackdown imminent? I mean it was already limited but I'm guessing that people are going to be thrown in jail for reporting that the situation is far far far worse than what China is reporting

It's an on-going rumor on Twitter, I've seen at least 3 different sources speak of an imminent shutdown in the public press. I wonder what's going to happen from now on, and yes, the government is threatening anyone who dares to speak about what's really going on in Wuhan.

Mar 29, 2018
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I should seriously stop following the news on this for a while, at least.
The worst thing about it is if you'd never heard a thing about it, your life would probably have gone on like normal and it would have never impacted you

I firmly believe there should be a tiering system in all news agencies about how relevant any given news item actually, actively is to the immediate local audience

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
dlw56H4.png

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I should seriously stop following the news on this for a while, at least.

Well, it depends on your proximity to china and your psyche.

It would do good to stop following this thread though. Glad the mods stepped in when they did, however.

The virus is fairly deadly, but unless you live in china or a country with a very high Chinese population, you are quite safe.

As others have posted and shared in the thread, the disease is quite preventable. Follow the best safety and hygiene protocols, proven to defeat and kill diseases much much worse then this one, and the chances of getting this reduce dramatically. Oh and unless you are quite old or very young, your body will be much better equipped to ward this flu off.

Mar 3, 2019

If your anxiety is causing you that much issues, then you shouldn't be viewing this thread. There are some people going all doom and gloom, bu the vast majority are just sharing news articles and using the thread as a news aggregate. If hearing news is making you anxious then this really isnt the thread for you.

Filthy Slug

Oct 25, 2017
Weird question because I'm being a panicky idiot--Would it be completely dumb to continue with my trip to Japan in March? No part of my flight lands in China, I just have a shitty immune system and am a bit worried.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Weird question because I'm being a panicky idiot--Would it be completely dumb to continue with my trip to Japan in March? No part of my flight lands in China, I just have a shitty immune system and am a bit worried.
As far as I know, in any country other than China you're near-infinitely more likely to come down with the normal seasonal flu than you are this thing at this point.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
More info on the Boston case. Looks like both the patient and the health care facility were ready. Thank fuck we have some competent people dealing with this in some places.

The University of Massachusetts, Boston student who tested positive for the Wuhan coronavirus visited the campus health center after returning home from China, according to school officials.

The student, a man in his 20s, went to University Health Services last Wednesday and was wearing a surgical mask at the time.

Officials said clinicians at the health center were prepared for the possibility of a coronavirus case and put on full body protection and masks to treat the patient.

Robert Pomales, the executive director of University Health Services at UMB, told NewsCenter 5's Peter Eliopoulos that the health center was the first place the student went after returning home from his trip to Wuhan, China.

Public health and school officials said the student is being isolated at his home, which is off campus, during his recovery and is checking in regularly by phone with public health nurses. His condition has dramatically improved, according to University Health Services.

He will remain isolated until health officials determine that he is no longer contagious.

The student's few close contacts have been identified and are being monitored for any sign of Wuhan coronavirus symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.