• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
We need more information on what constitutes a "recovered" patient. I would assume people who leave the hospital as "clear" and fully healed are no longer virus carriers, but those who just shrug it off and go through some mild symptoms for a couple of days would be the ones who could still be infectious.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This fucking thing has made it impossible to actually work. I'm already a severe hypochondriac (being treated) to the point where it's ruined years of my life. This is the kind of thing that I can't really deal with. 2020 is a disaster thus far, it feels like.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
We need more information on what constitutes a "recovered" patient. I would assume people who leave the hospital as "clear" and fully healed are no longer virus carriers, but those who just shrug it off and go through some mild symptoms for a couple of days would be the ones who could still be infectious.

Good lord. I'm hoping we can find out more soon in regards to whether or not most of those who "recover" can still transmit the virus.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

Isn't this normal for the cold virus? I was always told that you're still contagious at least 24 hours after not having symptoms, so it's not surprising that this one is similar.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This fucking thing has made it impossible to actually work. I'm already a severe hypochondriac (being treated) to the point where it's ruined years of my life. This is the kind of thing that I can't really deal with. 2020 is a disaster thus far, it feels like.

It's been a rough start, for sure.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Well, for what it's worth, your line of work does not necessitate in you having to be outside mingling with a plethora of people on daily basis. Now, that said, if you, like myriad folks, use public transportation....

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
From ShadowKingpin link:

In the wake of the outbreak, international, federal and state public health officials have provided advice for the public that aim to dispel misconceptions about the virus, named 2019-nCoV.

Should face masks be used among the general public in the U.S. to prevent the spread of the coronavirus?

No. Although limited cases of person-to-person transmission between close contacts has been detected in the U.S., the virus is not spreading in the larger community, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health's website says.

Am I at risk if I receive packages or products shipped from China?

Due to "poor survivability" of coronaviruses on surfaces, there is a very low risk of the illness spreading from packages or products shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's website states.

"Currently there is no evidence to support transmission of 2019-nCoV associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of 2019-nCoV in the United States associated with imported goods," the agency says.

Coronaviruses are generally spread by respiratory droplets generated when coughing or sneezing, according to health officials.

What about animals or animal products imported from China?

The CDC says it does not have any evidence suggesting animals or animal products imported from China can spread the illness.

Should I worry about pets or other animals transmitting the virus?

Although the coronavirus was likely transmitted from an animal to a human, the illness is now spreading from person to person. People traveling to China should avoid animals, both living and dead, but there is no reason to believe any animals or pets in the U.S. are a source of infection, the CDC says.

"There is no evidence that companion animals/pets such as dogs or cats can be infected with the new coronavirus," WHO says. "However, it is always a good idea to wash your hands with soap and water after contact with pets. This protects you against various common bacteria such as E.coli and Salmonella that can pass between pets and humans."

A person who feels sick should avoid handling pets or other animals, though, according to the agency. No animals have reportedly contracted the disease, but multiple types of coronaviruses can cause illness in animals that can then spread to humans.

Do pneumonia vaccines or antibiotics protect against 2019-nCoV?

There are no vaccines currently that prevent the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, and vaccines against pneumonia do not protect against the coronavirus. Researchers are trying to develop a vaccine, and the World Health Organization is supporting their efforts, according to the organization's website.

Antibiotics do not work against the virus either, as the medication only helps to fight bacteria. If a person is hospitalized for the coronavirus, though, they may receive antibiotics due to bacterial co-infection, WHO says.

Is the coronavirus the same as MERS or SARS virus?

The 2019-nCoV strain of the coronavirus falls into a large group of viruses, some of of which affect people while others circulate among animals, including camels, cats and bats, the CDC says. However, SARS and MERS, different coronaviruses that emerged from animals and infected humans, are not the same as the new virus.

Analysis of the genetic tree of the 2019-nCoV strain is ongoing, but evidence suggests the coronavirus emerged from a virus related to SARS, according to the agency.

Can regularly rinsing your nose with saline or gargling mouthwash protect you from infection?

There is no evidence that regularly rinsing one's nose with saline or using mouthwash will prevent the spread of the coronavirus, according to WHO.

"There is some limited evidence that regularly rinsing nose with saline can help people recover more quickly from the common cold," the organization says. "However, regularly rinsing the nose has not been shown to prevent respiratory infections."

Can eating garlic prevent transmission of the coronavirus?

No. Garlic is a healthy vegetable that has some antimicrobial properties, but there is no evidence suggesting it has protected people from the coronavirus, according to WHO.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I just hope this thing doesn't mutate to be able to survive on surfaces with the voracity of Staph or Candida auris

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Garlic because of the bat soup?
🧛‍♂️ 🤔

LOL

Nah, it's moreso along the lines of "garlic helps a cold!"

I just hope this thing doesn't mutate to be able to survive on surfaces with the voracity of Staph or Candida auris

It won't. Coronaviruses aren't very hardy. Staph and other bacterium are living organisms that can produce various compounds that can protect themselves.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well, for what it's worth, your line of work does not necessitate in you having to be outside mingling with a plethora of people on daily basis. Now, that said, if you, like myriad folks, use public transportation....
I work from home, really, but my wife goes into the office. She had to fly from Germany to Poland for a trip too.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I should seriously stop following the news on this for a while, at least.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

They can't even get normal flu tests right in my experience. Have had my daughters, more than once, get tested for flu across an entire week and come up negative. Only to go to another doctor (once the same day) and that office say they're positive.

I fully understand the tests aren't always fail-safe, and that 24 hours can mean the difference between testing positive or not, however......

I've gotten angry at my kids pediatricians multiple times. Seems like half the time they're just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. How does one place test negative twice in 3 days and then you go 20 minutes away, for the same thing on the SAME day (I purposefully did it to see what would happen), and the child tests positive??

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

NP, cheers.

I work from home, really, but my wife goes into the office. She had to fly from Germany to Poland for a trip too.

Yea, that's definitely a stresser. Hoping that the german government is sufficiently competent to address both infection and transmission related avenues. Good luck, John.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I should seriously stop following the news on this for a while, at least.

Depending upon your psyche it would make sense. That said, it is best to be informed on a somewhat regular basis to help you potentially prepare ahead of the curve.

Mar 26, 2018
Yeah, you guys not in China are honestly just making it seem worse lol I am in china where I get chinese products, food packages and everything and you guys are freaking out about mail almost a month out.... and traveling between your countries which you have a better chance of winning the lottery right now than getting this virus.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if this has been posted before. It aggregates some updates over the past day.

• Dr. Gregory Poland, director of Mayo Clinic's Vaccine Research Group, said that the fast-spreading coronavirus is nearing pandemic status.
  • China's National Health Commission said on Monday the confirmed cases in China increased to 17,205. The death rose to 361 in China.
  • The Philippines on Sunday reported the first death outside of China.
  • "I think we're going to start seeing secondary spread in the United States in the next two or three weeks," said Dr. Scott Gottlieb, former FDA commissioner.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah, you guys not in China are honestly just making it seem worse lol I am in china where I get chinese products, food packages and everything and you guys are freaking out about mail almost a month out.... and traveling between your countries which you have a better chance of winning the lottery right now than getting this virus.

Yeah, unfortunately, that's not how anxiety works.
I know it's irrational. It doesn't help me any.

Mar 26, 2018
Yeah, unfortunately, that's not how anxiety works.
I know it's irrational. It doesn't help me any.
Then you stop paying attention to it and you can't worry it. If you get sick still isn't a time to panic. Just say to yourself that your more tired of worrying and you may control it better. I wouldn't be worrying it at all if I was in the US and I'd happily go out.

Feb 1, 2018
The "yellow peril" xenophobic/racist sentiment surrounding this virus is insane. I was at a museum the other day and they had a Chinese New Year event. There were tables with hand sanitizer set up everywhere and all the staff members were wearing masks. In fucking LA, where there's only 1 confirmed case.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
do people regularly sneeze into your eyes

About the same number of times that they do it in my mouth. If your are worried about inhaling the droplets you have the same probabilities of getting them in your eyes. Using a mask without googles is not so effective, but the mask is useful to stop infected people spreading it. The most important prophylactic measures that you can adopt is to wash your hands regularly and don't touch your face (which is quite difficult to be fair).

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
wait, you cant use antibiotics against the pneumonia caused by corona? wtf? i had pneumonia a year ago an nearly died. antibiotics saved my ass.

Gunpei

Mar 13, 2018
wait, you cant use antibiotics against the pneumonia caused by corona? wtf? i had pneumonia a year ago an nearly died. antibiotics saved my ass.
Antibiotics kill bacteria. Coronavirus is a virus. Both cause a pneumonia, which is an inflammation of the lungs. There are many more causes; even some antibiotics (nitrofurantoin) can cause a pneumonia.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Antibiotics would only help if you developed bacterial pneumonia as a complication. They will not help at all with viral pneumonia which Coronavirus can directly cause.

Oct 25, 2017
Completely anecdotal information from the US, but I've been in two airports today and have seen almost no one wearing masks, and I was in a city where there's a confirmed case. The general public here is does not appear to be freaking out enough to be stocking up on/wearing face masks.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Antibiotics would only help if you developed bacterial pneumonia as a complication. They will not help at all with viral pneumonia which Coronavirus can directly cause.
wow, i never knew that (well, i knew that you cant use atb against viruses). i thought you can battle every form of pneumonia with atb's. so if you have pneumonia caused by a virus, you are pretty much fucked and have to hope your body can fight it off?

Gunpei

Mar 13, 2018
wow, i never knew that (well, i knew that you cant use atb against viruses). i thought you can battle every form of pneumonia with atb's. so if you have pneumonia caused by a virus, you are pretty much fucked and have to hope your body can fight it off?
Yes, but you can support the body. Also, there are a few antivirals, which some hospitals claim to work on the new coronavirus.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Completely anecdotal information from the US, but I've been in two airports today and have seen almost no one wearing masks, and I was in a city where there's a confirmed case. The general public here is does not appear to be freaking out enough to be stocking up on/wearing face masks.

I was at a CVS yesterday and they were sold out of masks.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
This is Dr. Tom Frieden's Bio:

President & CEO, @ResolveTSL | Former Director, @CDCgov & Commissioner, @nycHealthy

scientists still did not know the mutation speed of the new coronavirus because "most of the available [viral gene] sequences are not complete. They come in fragments."
Sequencing entire genomes is time-consuming and expensive. The new coronavirus' genes also have a total length of nearly 30,000 base pairs, longer than many other viruses, including its distant cousin Sars.

theoretically, mutations can make recovered patients sick again and cheat existing detection methods because they target only a small segment of the viral genome.
A study led by University of Minnesota researcher Li Fang predicted that a single mutation at a specific spot in the genome could significantly increase the virus's ability to bind with cells on the surface of the human respiratory system, according to their paper published in the Journal of Virology on January 29.

Last edited:

elty

Oct 31, 2017

Sometimes antibiotic is given anyways regardless of the type because
a) Bacterial is more deadly so antibiotic is given as a precaution since diagnosis may be difficult / time consuming.
b) viral pneumonia can lead to bacterial pneumonia, antibiotic can reduce the risk.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Apologies if this has been posted before. It aggregates some updates over the past day.

• Dr. Gregory Poland, director of Mayo Clinic's Vaccine Research Group, said that the fast-spreading coronavirus is nearing pandemic status.
  • China's National Health Commission said on Monday the confirmed cases in China increased to 17,205. The death rose to 361 in China.
  • The Philippines on Sunday reported the first death outside of China.
  • "I think we're going to start seeing secondary spread in the United States in the next two or three weeks," said Dr. Scott Gottlieb, former FDA commissioner.
That 2% mortality is holding strong.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I've gotten angry at my kids pediatricians multiple times. Seems like half the time they're just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. How does one place test negative twice in 3 days and then you go 20 minutes away, for the same thing on the SAME day (I purposefully did it to see what would happen), and the child tests positive??
Rapid flu test are notoriously bad, they have like a 50% failure rate.

Mar 26, 2018
We talked to the consulates in the US so it seems we should be able to go to Canada and then the US. Doesn't seem to be a complete band just yet but who knows... guess we may try it....

Mar 26, 2018

Thought this was a very interesting video. American going around and the hospital she went to was almost dead, as in no one was there except the workers. A very different look than what we have been seeing and panicking over at least..

She is actually going to work at the hospital which is both brave and kind of scary. Not sure what to think of it but she is for sure brave.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I listened to the Science Vs. episode about the coronavirus over the weekend and it made me believe even more that this ultimately isn't going to be some world-altering event. Sad for the people who have contracted it and the poor situation management that is going on in some circumstances but I really don't think that most people have anything to worry about.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I listened to the Science Vs. episode about the coronavirus over the weekend and it made me believe even more that this ultimately isn't going to be some world-altering event. Sad for the people who have contracted it and the poor situation management that is going on in some circumstances but I really don't think that most people have anything to worry about.
Does anyone think it's going to be a "world-altering event"?

Status
Not open for further replies.