• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I just received a package of something I ordered back in December. It was sent from Wuhan, yikes.
I know all the sources say the virus won't survive on anything more than a few minutes, but then there were the reports of it surviving for 48 hours on shiny surfaces, and the packaging is somewhat shiny :O.

Am I very silly for leaving it on a shelf for a couple of days?
If you can afford to not open it soon, I'd do it if I were you.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just received a package of something I ordered back in December. It was sent from Wuhan, yikes.
I know all the sources say the virus won't survive on anything more than a few minutes, but then there were the reports of it surviving for 48 hours on shiny surfaces, and the packaging is somewhat shiny :O.

I'd assume your package took longer than 48 hours to be shipped and be delivered.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017

Same situation here, luckily the bits I ordered weren't urgent so I'm leaving them a week before opening. It probably is silly, but for peace of mind I don't care.

Oct 27, 2017
I have to deal with the boss of a German automotive supplier more often. The situation is dramatic. Supply chains are broken and automobile production in China is largely at a standstill.

The whole thing will be an expensive and sometimes even existential issue for the companies that produce in China or depend on exports from China.

My company is already struggling because the invoicing in China has stopped. We aren't getting our money.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
My country has quarantined a bunch of students that they just brought back from Wuhan, and leaked videos showed doctors literally mingling with them... with zero masks on...

What the fuck.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Well it seems canada will quarantine the canadians it will rapatriate from hubei .... in the meantime if you are from hubei and on a commercial flight ...no mandatory quarantine. I see a small issue there

That is some half assed planning. Why does Canada's measures feel so lax? The political cost of this, if shit hits the fan, will be substantial for the Liberals.

Mar 26, 2018
Does anyone have any idea if me and my wife go to Canada if she would be able to enter the US later on. We don't have a great or easy way to stay in Canada and my family is in the US. She is only on travel visas for Canada and US. Although even me entering Canada may not be easy either.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it did, but honestly, this is an irrational thing I can afford to do if it lessens my anxiety over this whole thing.
Unless you need it actively, it's not worth the stress, just leave it alone. To be clear I absolutely doubt it's contaminated but there is no point in second guessing yourself. Just get to it in two days

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Is this true? That means the death count is almost 200 higher than previously reported.
It's technically not surprising because many of the reports in provinces outside Hubei don't have any deaths and it's basically statistically impossible for that to be true
it looks like a typo, error. the headline says 521, but if you read the article it says 362. also, 521 is the number of recovered people.

here's the cnn article.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
A cruise ship of 3000 people which someone who was diagnosed with coronavirus was on until yesterday was stuck in Yokohama bay unable to dock while they prepared to test everyone for a day. Most people cleared and told they can go home and monitor themselves - most will travel by train from there to Tokyo etc. Seems really irresponsible..

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
A cruise ship of 3000 people which someone who was diagnosed with coronavirus was on until yesterday was stuck in Yokohama bay unable to dock while they prepared to test everyone for a day. Most people cleared and told they can go home and monitor themselves - most will travel by train from there to Tokyo etc. Seems really irresponsible..

Letting them on the trains sounds like a recipe for disaster. Any indication on how many tested positive?

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Is it just me or does the WHO sounds like a mouth piece of CCP? Almost everything they said is to praise China's transparency and the response and how they have confidence China can contain it. Oh and how it was not a global emergency when there were cases in almost every continent and how travel ban doesn't work etc.

Meanwhile it is precisely due to CCP's "transparency" the virus spreads, and almost every country is imposing some travel restriction from China EXCEPT stupid Canada and UK.

Oh and China is not letting Canada to evacuate people stuck in Wuhan because Canada is not smart enough to "donate" medical supplies. I think Canada should donate something to help them, but then it is rather Childish for China to hold up on such things. However, given how Canadian official is still lying outright about how you cannot transmit the virus without symptom, maybe China is doing us a favour.

Last edited:

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Ok that makes more sense. I was legitimately going to be shocked that China was going correct their numbers instead of hiding the true amounts.

I think part of it is how China used to report death. I think they usually report the direct cause (e.g. bacterial pneumonia) instead of the underlying trigger (e.g. flu). So if the hospital ran out of test kits or cannot confirm the virus, then the condition will only say "severe pneumonia". I guess it is still technically correct, but it does make proper accounting difficult. I am wondering how many people managed to survive the corona virus, but only crumble due to secondary infection.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just hoping this calms down in the next few months. I'm just concerned over this since I have Asthma and my roommate has weakened lungs and a permanent cough due to Walking Pneumonia years back and I'm going to Japan in early April, so I just hope it doesn't spread in Japan much more (even though there are only 20 cases currently, I believe?).

Last edited:

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
That's scary.

Aug 26, 2019
Guys maybe too early to say anything but the curve for total confirmed cases on the JHU map has flatlined. Possible hope that we're approaching the peak or possibly at the peak?

guill

Nov 14, 2017
I'm just hoping this calms down in the next few months. I'm just concerned over this since I have Asthma and my roommate has weakened lungs and a permanent cough due to Walking Pneumonia years back and I'm going to Japan in early April, so I just hope it doesn't spread in Japan much more (even though there are only 20 cases currently, I believe?).
Hopefully, 20 but if you remove people they brought in those planes, its actually 14. Im on the same boat, I have a fully paid trip march 30-Apr15

Oct 26, 2017

Screening/quarantine enforcement is so all over the place that it's hard to feel confident in different countries' efforts when they aren't unified in their approach.

Mar 29, 2018
All I see people telling me is this is being overblown and it's a lot of fear being spread
It doesn't have to be one extreme or the other. It won't be a world ending virus and it's only a real threat to the old or infirm, but it's also a nasty and virile thing which could spread real bad. The biggest thing I'd actually worry about is the economic impact. We're already meant to be headed for recession...

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Friend of mine was going to Thailand at the end of the month but cancelled the trip bc of the virus and Thailand having the most outside of japan at the time.

hopefully this settles down soon.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All I see people telling me is this is being overblown and it's a lot of fear being spread

Well it's a highly contagious potentially dangerous virus without any sort of cure. It's critical that it is managed and not spread across the world and I think everyone is taking the appropriate actions to do that.

Having said that the general public's reaction to all of this feels overblown at times. From surgical masks being sold everywhere to people canceling their vacations to places around but outside of mainland China.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just worry because I have an infant and I had 2 vacations planned for the end of this month and March. I worry because I don't want anything to happen to her. Idk how much this will spread in the United States and god knows which stranger next to you in a plane or a train could be carrying it

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Friend of mine was going to Thailand at the end of the month but cancelled the trip bc of the virus and Thailand having the most outside of japan at the time.

hopefully this settles down soon.

There is 70 million people in Thailand and like 15 confirmed cases of this virus. Unless things take a drastic turn, I'm guessing your friend has better odds of getting in a fatal car accident on the way to the airport than contracting this virus.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The challenge with calibrating how to react to this is that the incubation period is long, which means for 5-10 days a patient is completely asymptomatic but still contagious. So the numbers we have are effectively lagging a week behind. Also people have tested negative then shown positive when re-tested. We don't know how effective the tests are. We simply don't know enough. There are best case scenarios and worst case scenarios, and we don't know which one is more likely.

Oct 26, 2017
The challenge with calibrating how to react to this is that the incubation period is long, which means for 5-10 days a patient is completely asymptomatic but still contagious. So the numbers we have are effectively lagging a week behind. Also people have tested negative then shown positive when re-tested. We don't know how effective the tests are. We simply don't know enough. There are best case scenarios and worst case scenarios, and we don't know which one is more likely.

Hasn't this been disproven? According to Swedish news, the German and Swedish health institutes do NOT think it's contagious during the incubation period and that the person who was contagious was in fact already ill.

If it indeed was, we would be seeing outbreaks all over the world already.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't this been disproven? According to Swedish news, the German and Swedish health institutes do NOT think it's contagious during the incubation period and that the person who was contagious was in fact already ill.

If it indeed was, we would be seeing outbreaks all over the world already.

Yes, we might see outbreaks soon. That's the concern. In fact this article quotes German health authorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.