• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I was watching the conference and WHO chief sounded like a someone who is under Chinese influence. Every sentence he was complementing China how effective and reliable partner they are, how much effort they put into prevention of a disease and that if it weren't for China, virus would kill much more people.
I guess that would explain why WHO announced it so late.
The response from China in the massive quarantines and resources they have put, and all the information they have made available, is absolutely insane.

ExtinguirX

Nov 22, 2018
The italian premier Giuseppe Conte confirmed in a breaking news-press conference that Italy has its first 2 cases of Coronavirus.
2 chinese tourists in an hotel in Rome went ill some days ago. The area has been locked down, the tourists have been transported in the Spallanzani hospital.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
So far, the data suggest that those that seek hospitalization tend to be older, and those who died tend to have preexisting conditions. Obviously, even if it's unlikely to be a big deal for the young and healthy, it would behoove you to avoid catching it and spreading it to those who are more vulnerable.
Describe pre existing conditions.
Like i have ibs, is that a pre existing condition?

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
The italian premier Giuseppe Conte confirmed in a breaking news-press conference that Italy has its first 2 cases of Coronavirus.
2 chinese tourists in an hotel in Rome went ill some days ago. The area has been locked down, the tourists have been transported in the Spallanzani hospital.

Noooo I was just going to ask about Italy. My mom and dad are going in May and my mom has a very compromised immune system and RA. I hope things have settled by May :(

ExtinguirX

Nov 22, 2018
Noooo I was just going to ask about Italy. My mom and dad are going in May and my mom has a very compromised immune system and RA. I hope things have settled by May :(
There is also a psychosis running in the italian population.
Just today an entire cruise ship with 6000+ passengers on board was held still on the harbor quay for an alert on chinese tourists being ill.
Later tests confirmed it was a simple flu, A H1N1-type.

Also Chinese/Asians restaurants and shops are experiencing a loss of customers.

I can already image what will be like after the official news of 2 Coronavirus cases.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching the conference and WHO chief sounded like a someone who is under Chinese influence. Every sentence he was complementing China how effective and reliable partner they are, how much effort they put into prevention of a disease and that if it weren't for China, virus would kill much more people.
It's been absolutely bizarre that they waited so long. The China ass kissing is weird also when they royalist fucked this up to begin with.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the dead are elderly or had pre-existing conditions but it seems like anyone can get the virus with intimate contact.
We should know more in a few weeks.
Most of the international cases are people who visited Wuhan and if you are in a developed country you are most likely getting much better care than in China - who are overrun with multiple cases and overworked healthcare staff. Most developed countries have specialized protocols/hospitals/wards specifically for coronavirus based on the previous SARS outbreak
You make it seem like healthcare in China is that of a third world country.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
It's been absolutely bizarre that they waited so long. The China ass kissing is weird also when they royalist fucked this up to begin with.

One possibility is that they don't want to be too confrontational and risk China getting stingier with access.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The response from China in the massive quarantines and resources they have put, and all the information they have made available, is absolutely insane.

They're doing all the wrong things here. It's clear by now that the quarantine isn't helping. What needs to happen is that the health care and sanitation practices in China need to be modernized.

You make it seem like healthcare in China is that of a third world country.

It's not, but health care access is one of the reasons why this outbreak has been spreading so fast in China -- both the affordability of it and the lack of health care facilities.

(And for the record, I am Chinese)

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Also:

Quarantine ordered for American passenger on China flight who tried to leave Riverside County military base

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A quarantine order was issued Thursday for one of the nearly 200 Americans who evacuated the Chinese city at the center of the coronavirus outbreak and arrived at March Air Reserve Base in Riverside after officials say the person tried to leave the base.

Riverside County public health officials issued the order, requiring the person who landed on a U.S. State Department-chartered airplane Thursday to stay for the duration of the incubation period or until otherwise cleared.

"This action was taken as a result of the unknown risk to the public should someone leave MARB early without undergoing a full health evaluation,'' officials said in a written statement.

All other passengers from the Wuhan, China, flight have also been ordered to remain at the base and continue to be evaluated. Additional details on the incident were not immediately released.

Yeah and I live in Riverside. I pass by the base on my way to work.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017

EPhKl9eUUAA-i1e

The peripheral necrosis is a known symptom of Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation caused by HELLP syndrome which is a rare but serious complication of pregnancy. Basically clots form everywhere throughout the body which can occlude blood supply to peripheral tissues (and organs) causing ischemia and necrosis. I've heard of a patient who needed amputations of all four limbs due to the tissue damage caused by DIC after she gave birth which was really tragic. But the tissue necrosis has a known cause and it wasn't Wuhan novel CoV.

The notion that the media is making this worse than it is.

Discuss.
I mean, this is true. The media is completely ignorant about any kind of health related topic and deliberately plays up the danger of pandemics for the sake of ratings, see Ebola. This isn't even the first novel coronavirus to emerge out of China, and it's nowhere near as dangerous as the previous ones on a mortality standpoint.

Last edited:

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
They're doing all the wrong things here. It's clear by now that the quarantine isn't helping. What needs to happen is that the health care and sanitation practices in China need to be modernized.

It's not, but health care access is one of the reasons why this outbreak has been spreading so fast in China -- both the affordability of it and the lack of health care facilities.

(And for the record, I am Chinese)
I guarantee you that if an airborne/droplet transmitted super cold popped up in the middle of New York City the local health care infrastructure would be similarly overwhelmed.

Yeah, they also issued them for the Zika virus, the bird flu, and the wild polio cases they found in Afghanistan (thanks CIA!) among others.
This deceleration means that the WHO thinks there need to be an international response, not WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE
This, it's a commitment of international resources, that's all.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been following the specifics of those who have died, are they all still elderly/young/already had unrelated health issues? Or is it killing perfectly healthy people too?

Dec 7, 2018
The italian government as always is fucking ridicolous and useless, they literally waited for the virus to get to Italy before stopping flights to and from China.

The chinese couple that brought the virus has been in Italy since the 23rd of January and visited multiple cities before ending up in Rome. Game, set and match.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't been following the specifics of those who have died, are they all still elderly/young/already had unrelated health issues? Or is it killing perfectly healthy people too?
So far the people most likely to be severely affected by this are those with pre-existing conditions and weakened immune systems. That's not to say that healthy adults shouldn't be wary of this, everyone should be. There just isn't enough data available yet.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
There is also a psychosis running in the italian population.
Just today an entire cruise ship with 6000+ passengers on board was held still on the harbor quay for an alert on chinese tourists being ill.
Later tests confirmed it was a simple flu, A H1N1-type.

Also Chinese/Asians restaurants and shops are experiencing a loss of customers.

I can already image what will be like after the official news of 2 Coronavirus cases.

Man. I just really hope it settles down by May. I wouldn't want to send my mom anywhere that had a virus like this running around :(

That's a really big jump today. :(

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think one younger people has died, but mostly elderly/pre-existing conditions.
I've been following from the start and it's hard to keep track.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
there's likely about 400-500 people in critical condition, too....

there's 290 in hubei... with 804 in serious condition

about 1500 in either bucket for all of china

seems like the death count is about to jump by quite a bit

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another one in France (6). It'd actually a doctor who was in contact with a guy who was there. So now all doctor patient might be infected ? Crazy

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
The italian government as always is fucking ridicolous and useless, they literally waited for the virus to get to Italy before stopping flights to and from China.

The chinese couple that brought the virus has been in Italy since the 23rd of January and visited multiple cities before ending up in Rome. Game, set and match.

After China quarantined Wuhan they should've acted immediately (they are tourists, you can send them back with no harm), as a second generation Italian (of Chinese origins) I expect rough days ahead for us. It's going to be real hard for the kids getting bullied.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The notion that the media is making this worse than it is.

Discuss.

It's not a big deal until someone successfully weasels out of quarantine and fucks everyone because they're so special. Even if it spreads a bit slower than China, once it gets to airports, it'll be in K-12 and it'll be everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.