• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
The thread title is ironic because of what I'm going to say but it cannot be helped.

I get that the coronavirus is important but its getting hard to avoid news on it. On this forum alone, there are 8 threads on the first page about it. Youtube is filled with videos on it and it is all the news stations ever talk about.

Do we constantly need hour by hour death updates?

I'm fine mentally because I've switched off almost completely. I only check for news on the virus once a day, at the end of the day. However when I do check the main thread, I notice a lot of anxiety by numerous posters.

I'm not sure who needs to hear this, but if this pandemic is greatly affecting your mental health, just tune out for a while. We all know what to do to keep ourselves safe. If this is having a negative impact on your life, there is no need to follow it 24/7

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
That's what happens with an event this big and I'm not sure what you expect. I agree it's healtht to unplug sometimes but it's going to continue to get this level of coverage so long as it continues to impact the world in such an extreme way.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
I get that it can be very depressing to be constantly bombarded by news and updates about it.

But I'll gladly take this than the alternative where everyone prematurely moves on to the next mundane news/ pretends it's no big deal/ pay it no heed while mass graves are being dug up in every community.

Hell even with the constant coverage some schmucks still can't help themselves thinking they're oh-so-special one way or another and risking everyone else...

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop watching the news, and download the Hide Threads extension and block threads that contain Corona in the title.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I get that the coronavirus is important but its getting hard to avoid news on it. On this forum alone, there are 8 threads on the first page about it. Youtube is filled with videos on it and it is all the news stations ever talk about.

Do we constantly need hour by hour death updates?
It's the biggest global news story in 20 years

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What's interesting is that there is a noticeable difference in how it's being reported and discussed here in Germany versus the US. The American media is terrifying to read.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reading news and getting updates every minute I can. I don't do videogames/TV shows anymore, since I feel that this is truly a historic event and it would be irresponsible (for me) not to follow it.

So yeah, it's not cool to learn that people are dying in the thousands every day but trying to "think of other stuff and getting distracted" is like plugging your ears trying to act like everything is okay when it's not, and won't be for a long while.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've taken to limiting my news intake to an hours worth of newscast a day, and I prefer to get it from PBS NewsHour. I have even been limiting my time over here on EtcetEra.

There is a certain level of response I'm having where it feels like it is being overwhelmingly broadcast and blasted, but I also have to admit I still have a very mortally fearful response to the crisis and I have to have some kind of idea of how things are progressing on a day-to-day basis.

That said, aforementioned PBS Newshour is just the right amount to make me feel relieved of my mortal terror but not enough to push me toward an irritable state of overwhelmed exposure.

I also admit that when I go into public, be it for my grocery trips or when I have to go to work, seeing most other people with masks is actually a bigger relief than shocking and constant reminder that we're in this now. It kinda makes me feel like everyone else is kind of acknowledging the gravity of this and also giving a shit.

And part of the gravity of this whole situation is just not knowing. Experts constantly saying they don't have full confidence in the exact mechanisms of spread; the symptoms feeling like this nearly all-encompassing list of common illness symptoms so every time I feel even remotely miserable from being tired or a bit hungry makes me feel like I might be contracting it — I'm monitoring my temperature throughout the day to see if a fever starts, and so far it's just been a streak of relief seeing my temperature at normal levels despite feeling fatigued or my sinuses getting a bit agitated and stuffy from seasonal allergies. There's just a shit ton of relative uncertainty still, and that's generally the worst part when it comes to feeling fear and anxiety right now.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Creating panic and psychosis is what they do best. That's how they thrive. Not to take anything away from the pandemic, but the media aren't always helping the situation

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm straight up ignoring every thread related to this. It's made my life so much better. It helps that in my country, we don't have a 24/7 news cycle culture. I'm fine checking news once or twice a day.

As a psychologist, I can see how being bombarded 24/7 with anxious news can have a detrimental effect on your well-being.

Nov 30, 2017
Why is it so difficult for articles to include links to the actual research that they claim?

Seriously I've been trying to find the research paper on the claim that the New York outbreak originated in Europe and all I see is articles stating a study was done but not peer reviewed. However not a single link to the actual study itself.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading news and getting updates every minute I can. I don't do videogames/TV shows anymore, since I feel that this is truly a historic event and it would be irresponsible (for me) not to follow it.

So yeah, it's not cool to learn that people are dying in the thousands every day but trying to "think of other stuff and getting distracted" is like plugging your ears trying to act like everything is okay when it's not, and won't be for a long while.
First and foremost, you have a responsibility to maintain your own health and well-being, and I don't see how you can achieve this by constantly watching the news and ignoring hobbies you like.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
What's interesting is that there is a noticeable difference in how it's being reported and discussed here in Germany versus the US. The American media is terrifying to read.

To be fair, Germany is handling it significantly better than we are. In particular death numbers where Germany's numbers all along in that area have been so low that people thought they had to be under-reporting them.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I check worldometer once or twice a day to check the growth, and read the main thread here a few times a day. Besides that, I've just been keeping myself busy to not stress out. Started several online free courses, been doing research for when my classes come back and also taken up yoga.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Right. I barely watch UK TV so haven't seen any. Maybe one. Grim.

They're fairly common. Before they were just the Chief Medical Guy giving a message but now they're heavily edited commercials with footage of people in hospitals and stuff. I understand why they're there but considering half of our media has now turned to COVID-19 coverage it's highly unlikely that anyone who watches TV would not know about everything already.

EDIT: Oh, and there's the Tesco ones which are, from my experience, mostly bullshit.

It's the biggest global news story in 20 years

Yes but does that mean everyone has to know everything about it at all times?

If you know the danger and are taking as many precautions as you can then is there really a need for you to know the exact specifics of everything on such a granular basis? Especially since we know of the potentially significant negative mental (and, in turn, physical) effects that anxiety, stress and worry can have on one's mental health.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I think he means the government adverts which we do get in the UK.
They could mean. The "we here at [insert company] are with you at this hard time" *flashes of underpaid employees at the front line dealing with people* "we've been through hard times before...blag blah blah."

It seems companies used their bailout cash on Corona "we're in this together!" commercials.

Which, I won't even say is completely useless, but it's undistracting while you're trying to distract yourself.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I'm of two minds on the issue, honestly. On the one hand, I'm certainly suspicious of how the for profit, 24-hour news cycle incentivizes a lot of media outlets to sensationalize and oversaturate when it comes to events precisely like this one, but on the other hand, I also appreciate how they are put in a kind of impossible situation regarding the coronavirus. Since so many people in the US are seemingly looking for any excuse to brush this whole thing off and get things back to normal, I'm sure that the last thing a lot of the major news outlets want is to potentially be accused of downplaying the severity of the situation should things get worse.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I am continuously impressed by news shows that last almost TWO HOURS and it's nothing but Covid news. How do they do it, holy shit.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Germany isn't led by an idiot who thinks more people dying is less important than whatever lie he wants to tell that second.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I understand where you're coming from. It's depressing and people who are aware of how dangerous this is don't want to be reminded of it.

That said, over 18,000 people in the US alone have died in a very short period of time, and many here STILL don't seem to "get" it, and aren't practicing proper distancing. So for them, the message needs to be hammered home somehow.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
It's kind of hard not to report on something that has brought society down to its knees and is among the most horrific things to happen to humanity as a whole in some time?

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
You could almost argue that it is necessary that american media/reporting act that way. It is hard to get (and keep) an American's attention for very long unless it is life or death. Even then, there will be people who act like they don't know what is going on.

I'd say the ends justify the means.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
For me constant exposure to it and not trying to avoid it helps me acclimate to it and deal with it better imo. The times when I have tried to avoid it and then checked in on it have not made me feel very good. It's ok avoiding something if it has a shelf life and discussion will move on from it eventually but this will be around a long time so for me just taking it all in at a steady pace(not constantly all day but a few times a day) has been the best coping strategy.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've had to check out. I even ignored some of the threads here. The constant, low grade anxiety is real.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
What else is there? Coronavirus is the world right now. It has affected everything. No sports, no events, no social gatherings. There is nothing else to talk about. It's a global pandemic, killing thousands every day. It is not being over-reported.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Problem is that there are two kinds of people

There are people who are hearing the urgency and panic and responding correctly

And then there are people who don't give a shit and, at best, still think this will blow over in a week or two.

If you're the first kind of people then you should probably unplug for a while whereas the second group needs to keep hearing the messaging until it sinks in.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
This is a pandemic of levels we haven't seen in like a hundred years. They need to hammer it home day in and day out.

There is no other news now.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I get that it can be very depressing to be constantly bombarded by news and updates about it.

But I'll gladly take this than the alternative where everyone prematurely moves on to the next mundane news/ pretends it's no big deal/ pay it no heed while mass graves are being dug up in every community.

Hell even with the constant coverage some schmucks still can't help themselves thinking they're oh-so-special one way or another and risking everyone else...
Same here. I'd rather have an abundance of caution rather than everyone prematurely moving on to "normal."

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I mainly watch early morning and late at night, I don't think it would be healthy to watch the coverage all day. From what I've watched, most of the coverage has been pretty decent. I'm actually liking CNN's coverage which is weird because I can't stand CNN when it comes to their political coverage. Girl friend and I really enjoy watching the Cuomo brothers banter.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
it's the most important thing that's currently affecting or has the potential to affect anyone and everyone.......

the constant media blitz is needed just to drive home the fact to people of all ages to: REMAIN INDOORS!!!

Also, the nature of news (at least to me) is to be aware of the happenings around the world, regardless of whether said happenings is something i like or hate. Reading news that only you like is equivalent to 'head in sand' & 'see/hear no evil'.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Media (and people on social media) are having a field day with this. Just preying on peoples fears like usual but on a grander scale.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
First and foremost, you have a responsibility to maintain your own health and well-being, and I don't see how you can achieve this by constantly watching the news and ignoring hobbies you like.
I used to work in media until the end of March before I got sent home for this, so consuming news was part of my daily life anyway. About the hobbies, I just find them unimporant or irrelevant while this is going on, I see some threads in Etcetera about fucking Star Wars or the next Game of Thrones book and while I don't mean to insult other users, I'm in the mindset of "who gives a shit about your entertainment franchise when a virus is ravaging our society and will possibly open the door to more social issues like looting, violence and hunger?" I'd rather stay informed about how governments, health authorities and scientists are handling this.

Of course they're enjoying high ratings and social media interactions due to the state of fear and anxiety from the audience, but I'd rather be at peace with that, than asking "man I hope the PS5 doesn't get delayed this year".

on era blame us posters who make a thread for every fucking thing in their country.
I wish there was a thread hider for US topics. Knowing about how New York is dealing with the coronavirus crisis is one thing, but Bill Maher, thunderstorms and Bernie Sanders related news, are things I really don't care about right now.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
My opinion means jack shit but all the same, if you find yourself spending hours absorbed by news of the pandemic and becoming increasingly agitated, perhaps your time would be better spent taking an online course or practicing some skill you've wanted to learn. Coursera, edX, Udacity, Udemy, and many other websites offer prerecorded courses you can take to learn something new and advance yourself.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It kinda needs to be everywhere to get certain people to take it seriously.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
if it doesn't hammer into people's minds that its important to prepare for these kinds of events in the future, then they're not hammering it enough

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Dude you can partake in leisure activity during this, irresponsible is a weird outlook man

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but does that mean everyone has to know everything about it at all times?

If you know the danger and are taking as many precautions as you can then is there really a need for you to know the exact specifics of everything on such a granular basis? Especially since we know of the potentially significant negative mental (and, in turn, physical) effects that anxiety, stress and worry can have on one's mental health.
On news stations?

Yeah... it's kind of the only thing going on right now dude.

If it's stressing you out... don't turn on the news