• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
If we don't have a vaccine or cure soon, going to see my family in another state across the country is going to be impossible in the US. My wife hates long drive and we're definitely not jumping into an airplane unless it's an emergency (close family dying...etc).

I feel like if we don't have an official vaccine by Thanksgiving, my visit to my family might actually be canceled since I'm 12+ hour drive away. Kind of sad since it's like the only time of the year I do get to see my family, but I want to make sure I don't get sick or they get sick.

...on the other hand, Black Friday sales are going to be terrible. Nobody was common sense is going to go out in a large crowd standing outside with the possibly someone next to them may have the virus. Also, you know Amazon and other retailers are going to be hiring for a mass amount of warehouse workers and drivers to ship packages to people when they should be at home resting.

I'm hoping for an official cure at some point this year... what's your thoughts?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black Friday will still be the same it is every year, I'm sure. By the time we get to the end of the year almost everyone will be out and about regardless of the virus, trying to get on with their lives. I mean, you don't actually think people are going to self isolate for six months do you?

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everybody better stay the fuck home come Thanksgiving. Unless you want to surprise your grandparents with an early death.

A cure isn't going to happen this year. We need to stay safe and sacrifice our usual pleasures and habits. We need to adapt.

Black Friday will still be the same it is every year, I'm sure. By the time we get to the end of the year almost everyone will be out and about regardless of the virus, trying to get on with their lives. I mean, you don't actually think people are going to self isolate for six months do you?

Shit hasn't hit the fan yet in the US. When thousands die every day, opinions will change and people will start to take this seriously. Most people are going to self isolate for six months.

Those that won't obey the regulations should get fined and arrested.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
As long as the curve flattens and the cases are nil, I think Holiday Family Gatherings are still ok...for now.

Cancel Easter plans though

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Easter is like right around the corner and it's about to be canceled. That's a HUGE gathering day for my family.
Just had a death in the family and now we have to figure out the wake situation and is it even safe to gather like that.
I'm not worrying about thanksgiving I'm worrying about now and a few weeks from now.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Most Black Friday deals are digital/online now anyways. Even in a year without a pandemic, the last place you want to be is in a scenario where you could end up in a crunch or a fire hazard for a crappy $100 tv. Please dear god just stay home and do holiday things.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
"Nobody was common sense is going to go out in a large crowd standing outside with the possibly someone next to them may have the virus"

so people will be out like usual then...

seriously, in California I see more people outside now after the lockdown order than before.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
If things are still the same in November as they are today; a lot of people won't have homes to stay in. By November, people are going to be out for the necessity to try & make a living.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some people are going to gather on thanksgiving. Largely recommendation is going to be "stay the fuck home."

Black Friday will move further online. Probably a good thing since those Thursday night sales were taking it way too far.

It'll suck if family passes during this time and you gotta weigh safety and seeing them for the last time. My grandparents are close to 90 and living in Japan. My grandma's starting to deteriorate though she's still doing OK. If they die in the next year I probably won't be able to go to their funeral. It really, really fucking sucks, but such is life.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Well it will be my first birthday without my family... it sucks but don't leave your homes

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who works at Amazon, I'd be so surprised to see them even try to do Amazon Prime Day.

It'd be quite insensitive for one and two, by summer we'll probably be still screwed by backlog.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt there's going to be a vaccine by Thanksgiving. We'll be lucky if we have one by this time next year. Staying away from each other and slowing the spread is our best bet at this point.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I have a co-worker making plans for the upcoming holidays, like easter and the 4th...like seriously?

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Everybody better stay the fuck home come Thanksgiving. Unless you want to surprise your grandparents with an early death.

A cure isn't going to happen this year. We need to stay safe and sacrifice our usual pleasures and habits. We need to adapt.

Shit hasn't hit the fan yet in the US. When thousands die every day, opinions will change and people will start to take this seriously. Most people are going to self isolate for six months.

6 months? The economic meltdown that will occur from that would be worse than the virus itself.

As much as I'm for quarantining (which is what we should all be doing right now), six months isn't feasible. At some point governments will make the decision to open things back up and the virus will run its course through the population.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Even without the vaccine, with proper social distancing for 3-4 months it will get a little bit better and cautios travel will be possible I think.

What worries me though is that people are already freaking out because of this "light" lockdown many countries have (apart from Italy or Spain you can go out solo or go walk a dog or sth, you can go to work if you don't work with many people close to you etc). So I bet after a month people will just start to ignore "stay at home" calls. Some are ignoring it right now, but more will follow.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
I just postponed my wedding to November from this May. I'm hoping the curve has flattened enough by November that we can still have it then. Postponing it was already painful enough. Having to do it again would be just awful.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People aren't going to start dying in the thousands on a daily basis.

All this viral outbreak has proven is that our measures and protections to limit the transmission of diseases worldwide is woefully lacking. We were caught with our pants down and we're scrambling to handle the situation, which is leading to public panic. The rate of infection is already slowing in China, with some places reporting no new cases for days so once we have things under control the rate of infections will slow elsewhere too. The only adapting we need to do is updating our methods for spotting and diagnosing infectious diseases at borders and airports so viruses can't spread to other countries. It may even be as simple as requiring a health check before being allowed to leave the country.

I mean, if it wasn't for people still travelling the virus wouldn't be spreading as much and, as long as we take sensible measures now, there should be no need for preventative measures like self-isolating and social distancing in six months' time. In fact I'd be surprised if most countries didn't return to relative normalcy by summer, at least here in Europe.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how people aren't focused on keeping themselves healthy and stocked. Holidays and other bullshit are like least on my list of needs in fact if they went away I wouldn't care.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People aren't going to start dying in the thousands on a daily basis.

All this viral outbreak has proven is that our measures and protections to limit the transmission of diseases worldwide is woefully lacking. We were caught with our pants down and we're scrambling to handle the situation, which is leading to public panic. The rate of infection is already slowing in China, with some places reporting no new cases for days so once we have things under control the rate of infections will slow elsewhere too. The only adapting we need to do is updating our methods for spotting and diagnosing infectious diseases at borders and airports so viruses can't spread to other countries. It may even be as simple as requiring a health check before being allowed to leave the country.

I mean, if it wasn't for people still travelling the virus wouldn't be spreading as much and, as long as we take sensible measures now, there should be no need for preventative measures like self-isolating and social distancing in six months' time. In fact I'd be surprised if most countries didn't return to relative normalcy by summer, at least here in Europe.

Italy has been losing 600+ souls on a daily basis in the last several days. We can expect over 1,000 people to die in a day for the United States. Obviously it would be amazing if we can somehow avoid this, and if our current measures are enough to flatten the curve in six months time. But that seems dangerously optimistic.

I don't know how people aren't focused on keeping themselves healthy and stocked. Holidays and other bullshit are like least on my list of needs in fact if they went away I wouldn't care.

I think the gravity of the situation just hasn't hit home with many. I don't blame them - this is new to all of us. But it's about time we realize what we are facing.

Let's stay home this Thanksgiving so that we may celebrate Thanksgiving together in 2021.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Thanksgiving is far away, hopefully things are handled by then. If not, I'll still have a get together like always. Not giving up Thanksgiving unless things get much worse.

Oct 27, 2017
Trump just said that shopping for some during the pandemic has been bigger than Christmas, so I guess we're already set here and everything is fine.