• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017

store.steampowered.com

Coromon on Steam

Coromon is a modern take on the classic monster-taming genre. Tame Coromon and explore a vast world filled with thrilling turn-based battles, brain-twisting puzzles, and a mysterious threat to the world awaiting defeat. Nobody said being a Battle Researcher was easy!

Been following this for a while.

If TemTem puts you off for being an MMO, here's another promising entry to the Pokemonlike genre.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this looks just like Pokémon! Maybe I'll give the demo a shot.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty cool, but can't help but hear the name and think of:

rTRMRKZ.gif

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No shame whatsoever, from animations to text used for actions. But I won't lie, I'm interested.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cute monsters. The MC sprite looks kind of funny though, and the battle music is so Pokemon inspired that it feels really off putting.

TRUSTNO1

Banned
Dec 28, 2017
Only 7 types (why) and the controls are so rough (keyboard).

Difficulty levels are nice but built-in Nuzlocke seems like pandering, ngl.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
played up to the first trainer battle. it's...definitely a clone. some other thoughts:
  • controls suck right now
  • why are there running shoes?
  • the difficulty options are bad. I don't know how hard the game will be, but the next step up from normal is losing your coromon if they faint. fuck that

OP
OP
Slamtastic

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't tried the demo myself yet, how are controls bad?

It's pokemon, it should only need four directions and three buttons.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried the demo myself yet, how are controls bad?

It's pokemon, it should only need four directions and three buttons.
it's a mobile game at it's heart, even down to the UI. the problem comes in with the movement and interactive buttons. moving with WASD and interacting/running with space is cumbersome with one hand

also, this game made an Amish Paradise joke

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
played up to the first trainer battle. it's...definitely a clone. some other thoughts:
  • the difficulty options are bad. I don't know how hard the game will be, but the next step up from normal is losing your coromon if they faint. fuck that
They better pull a Fire Emblem and add a "Casual" and "Classic" mode type of deal.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I can't really comment on the other stuff, but my guess is the difficulty option is meant to emulate a Nuzlocke run in Pokemon.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't really comment on the other stuff, but my guess is the difficulty option is meant to emulate a Nuzlocke run in Pokemon.
that's insane difficulty. Hard is just nuzlocke-lite
  • Easy - coromon get full health upon leveling up, 50% off items in shops, regular items revive coromon
  • Normal - base difficulty
  • Hard - if your coromon faints, they leave your party, can't run from any battles
  • Insane - Nuzlocke
also, the encounter rate is annoyingly high. I literally walked two tiles after running from a battle only to get thrown into another random battle. shit's annoying. and leveling up is interesting as you have two bars: the first bar is standard, the second bar gives you points that you can allocate to your regular states

TRUSTNO1

Banned
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah Hard mode is just more punishing and less fun than having higher levels and/or better combat strategies.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I've played this game before. Several times. For decades. Also, Coromon is spelled Koromon and it Digivolves into Agumon. PASS

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
As someone that often enjoys rom hacks more than the official Pokémon games, I'm looking foward to this. And hey, if it's too slow/has to many encounters, I'll just crank up Cheat Engine and speed up the game. :)

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Coromon, Temtem, and Kindred Fates. Lots of indie games inspired by Pokemon are emerging. It's quite interesting.