• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

There resume of video is courtesy of nujabeans

www.resetera.com

PlayStation 5 System Architecture Deep Dive |OT| Secret Agent Cerny

Posted in the NX Gamer thread, but relates to the PS5 architecture. In the end it’s just another opinion Youtube video. But I think it helps validate why Sony focused so much on the I/O and bandwidth. Someone should make a thread about this (I can’t create threads for some reason). The video...

This channel Coreteks focuses on PC gaming/GPU industry and doesn't have any sort of "allegiance" to Microsoft or Sony. He argues that Sony's focus on I/O and bandwidth has won the console architecture design "war" and that he sees this as the biggest differentiator in the upcoming console generation. He quotes Nvidia's position on this, which is that communication is much more expensive than a compute operation.

"Arithmetic is free (low precession), communication is prohibitively expensive (in energy cost)" - Nvidia Slide

"Accessing even a small array costs way more than doing an operation." - William Dally Nvidia, Chief Scientist

It's a bit long at 45 minutes but I highly suggest watching the whole thing.

More tidbits:

- he believes there will be PS5 games not possible on PC (due to Sony's high speed architecture and having to design to lowest common denominator in PC's)

- he thinks the PS5 will be more expensive to manufacture because of its I/O design and 12-channel custom controller

- he believes both consoles will perform about the same as RTX 2080 GPU + R7 3700X CPU, highlights PS5's potential in particular

- Nvidia will have a hard time marketing a $700 GPU when consoles are able to perform that well

- Super fast asset streaming is a game changer and will be PS5's advantage over both PC and XSX. Argues that things like Sony's Spider-Man demo will not be possible on XSX because MS didn't focus on high performance I/O

- AMD's RDNA reveal and demo at Computex last year may have hinted at the possibilities of a high bandwidth architecture (a la PS5). Lisa Su quoted Mark Cerny and how Cerny wants to revolutionize gaming in the next decade

- Project Awakening by CyGames shown back in 2018 may have actually been the first footage of a PS5. Also points out that the developer is aiming for a highly seamless open-world. Coreteks thinks this could be the game that Cerny alluded was using ray-tracing at a high level.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Seems biased to me if he thinks PS5 is 2080/3700x level, SX is closer to that, but not PS5.

OP
OP
chris 1515

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Seems biased to me if he thinks PS5 is 2080/3700x level, X is closer to that, but not PS5.

The 4900HS, the base of the CPU of PS5 at least 8 MB like AMD Flute is above a 3700X maybe Xbox CPU will perform even better if it have more cache.

www.notebookcheck.net

AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS performs better than the Ryzen 7 3700X and even the mighty Ryzen 9 3950X in startling UserBenchmark test

Benchmarks for the AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS APU have started popping up and the latest one is quite a surprise. According to the results recorded on UserBenchmark, the Renoir chip outpaced both the Ryzen 7 3700X and even the 16-core Ryzen 9 3950X. The Ryzen 4000 APU was tested in an Asus ROG Zephyrus...

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The 4900HS, the base of the CPU of PS5 at least 8 MB like AMD Flute is above a 3700X maybe Xbox CPU will perform even better if they have more cache.

www.notebookcheck.net

AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS performs better than the Ryzen 7 3700X and even the mighty Ryzen 9 3950X in startling UserBenchmark test

Benchmarks for the AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS APU have started popping up and the latest one is quite a surprise. According to the results recorded on UserBenchmark, the Renoir chip outpaced both the Ryzen 7 3700X and even the 16-core Ryzen 9 3950X. The Ryzen 4000 APU was tested in an Asus ROG Zephyrus...
PS5 isn't that, it's some custom Ryzen 2 (aka less cache) with clocks well under 4ghz with likely a core reserved for the OS. SX is similar but slightly higher clocks.

OP
OP
chris 1515

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
User Banned (1 day): antagonizing other users
Here's Alex's thoughts on the video, in case people here missed the other thread.

Alex lost, PS5 clock is a little behind but it will be not far from a 3700X.

www.notebookcheck.net

This is a 8MB L3 CPU performing better than the 3700X.

Checkmate...

Last edited:

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Using notebookcheck as a source invalidates everything else that you have said.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
We already have SSD 's close to PS5 today. Is this guy seriously arguing that PS5 with a mass market target at 399-499$ will offer experiences impossible on high end PC's? What a joke of a video.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
He has some good points here and there, but he's missing important details in other areas. Both consoles will be great and they're trying to achieve similar results but with different approaches. This will be the most exciting generation in decades.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Alex lost, if PS5 clock is a little behind it will be not far from a 3700X.

www.notebookcheck.net

This is a 8MB L3 CPU performing better than the 3700.

Checkmate...
Wait, "lost"?! What is there to lose, LMFAO. Guys, it's only video games... There is no actual battle here.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019

www.notebookcheck.net

Checkmate...

The user comments on that article speak for themselves lol

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I recommend watching the video instead of reading up bullet points. Start from around the 8th minute. This person provides pretty solid basis for most of his speculation and in general its a very informative analysis.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems biased to me if he thinks PS5 is 2080/3700x level, SX is closer to that, but not PS5.
If you think this video is weird you should check out some of their other videos such as "Are we moving to MODULAR PCs?", "Intel is Dead!" and "CPU? GPU? This new ARM chip is BOTH!" (That's just an SoC)
This video should definitely be taken with salt.

Oct 26, 2017

www.notebookcheck.net

Checkmate...

"Lost"
"Checkmate"
This is some cringe level posting, god damn. And lol at the article and the comments under the article lmao

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
on one hand i'm impressed that y'all haven't got splinters yet with how far into the bottom of the barrel your at.

on the other, why cant we just let the games do the talking in like 6 months?

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds reasonable. it's not just about the raw speed of the SSD but all the dedicated hardware eliminating the bottlenecks in PS5.

Usual suspects on dismissive mode like a clockwork lmao.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

www.notebookcheck.net

Checkmate...

Lost? Checkmate? The fuck is this? You people and your platform war BS are just sad.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Alex lost, PS5 clock is a little behind but it will be not far from a 3700X.

www.notebookcheck.net

This is a 8MB L3 CPU performing better than the 3700X.

Checkmate...
Let me just say we saw the XSX CPU put against a PC CPU in the gears bench - it will not be a 3700x. Look up numbers for a 3700x or a 2950x in the gears bench to corroborate what I am saying by virtue of Aristotelean Logic.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020

www.notebookcheck.net

Checkmate...
Notebookcheck is one of the worst sources one can use. That article tittle is misleading and the article itself is a joke.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cast doubt.

Multiplat games will target the lowest bandwidth, which is the Xbox, but because it's magnitudes faster, it would still be a revelation. Not to mention these speeds would diminish perceived speeds relative to each other by a lot. This isn't a 30 sec vs one minute comparison, but a 1.5 sec vs 3 sec comparison. And the games that would take advantage of the differences would be exclusives anyway.

OP
OP
chris 1515

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Using notebookcheck as a source invalidates everything else that you have said.

The original source of the score is not notebookcheck it is TUM APISAK...

userbenchmark_4900.png

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Let me just say we saw the XSX CPU put against a PC CPU in the gears bench - it will not be a 3700x. Look up numbers for a 3700x or a 2950x in the gears bench to corroborate what I am saying by virtue of Aristotelean Logic.
Was that running at 3.8GHz or 3.6GHz?🙃
(not refuting, just curious)

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Too hard to watch because the narration is so bad. I do think Nvidia will have a tougher time moving forward but the elitist will continue to shill for the company.

We already have SSD 's close to PS5 today. Is this guy seriously arguing that PS5 with a mass market target at 399-499$ will offer experiences impossible on high end PC's? What a joke of a video.
Not true, the OP said checkmate. The game is over, sorry.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
- Nvidia will have a hard time marketing a $700 GPU when consoles are able to perform that well
The only part im really interested in, hopefully we can get back to reality with PC gpu pricing. Make a $1000 or more titan that's fine but there's no reason a gaming gpu should cost $1100, the highest end gaming gpu's should be like $700 max especially when they are near obsolete for their intended (highest of high end) market in 2 years or less and prices dont come down.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The GPU in SX is more interesting, i wouldn't be surprised to see it comfortably beat a 2080, it seems RDNA2 does mesh shading better than Turing too.
PS5 is a more of a mystery with it's support for VRS, Mesh Shading etc, couple that with only 36 CU's & dynamic clocks, i can't see it beating a 2080.

OP
OP
chris 1515

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Again the source is TUM APISAK not notebookcheck... ;)

I suppose PS5 and maybe Xbox Series X if they don't have more cache will be a bit behind because base clock is 3.0 Ghz and boost clock is 4.3 Ghz. And PS5 and Xbox are behind not clocked as high but probably comparable to a 3700 X.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We are currently reaching the lowest low to discredit people that we don't agree with, on all fronts, just to falsify one statement. It's obvious that once that might happen the respect for the people will forever be gone from many.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
The GPU in SX is more interesting, i wouldn't be surprised to see it comfortably beat a 2080, it seems RDNA2 does mesh shading better than Turing too.
PS5 is a more of a mystery with it's support for VRS, Mesh Shading etc, couple that with only 36 CU's & dynamic clocks, i can't see it beating a 2080.
I mean, we don't have a demo for MS or VRS on SX so we really don't know how they compare.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No game will ever really impossible on a pc, if they dont want to port it thats fine, for whatever the reason may be but today you can get pc ssd configurations topping 10 and 11 gb a sec in the consumer space, do most people have that no, will most people have that anytime soon no, is it super expensive yes but let's not pretend Sony is reinventing the game, their making it more accessible and for cheaper and should be commended but lets not over do it.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I mean, we don't have a demo for MS or VRS on SX so we really don't know how they compare.
We have one for MS, Turing's MS support is limited to 32 primitives, RDNA2 is something like 128/256. Im sure Ampere will fix this but it seems Turing being the first to implement it meant some limitations.

This is good to hear actually, if RDNA2 was just catch up to 2018 Turing, that would be lame.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
No game will ever really impossible on a pc, if they dont want to port it thats fine, for whatever the reason may be but today you can get pc ssd configurations topping 10 and 11 gb a sec in the consumer space, do most people have that no, will most people have that anytime soon no, is it super expensive yes but let's not pretend Sony is reinventing the game, their making it more accessible and for cheaper and should be commended but lets not over do it.
That is the genius behind Sony and their marketing. They have always tried to market their games as only possible on Playstation. There is no doubt their games can be beautiful but to suggest they cannot be duplicated on PC is totally disengenuous.

It's why I am actually shocked we will be seeing Horizon come to the PC because now we will see just how far ahead the PC is but of course Sony will then just move on to games like Horizon 2 on PS5 and not have it on PC and everyone will say how powerful the PS5 all over again.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not the same and you know it. I don't interact with the guy who made the video, nor trying to be in a "battle" with the guy that can be lost. That you even tried to combine that tells a lot.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
We have one for MS, Turing's MS support is limited to 32 primitives, RDNA2 is something like 128/256. Im sure Ampere will fix this but it seems Turing being the first to implement it meant some limitations.

This is good to hear actually, if RDNA2 was just catch up to 2018 Turing, that would be lame.

Interesting, I'll have to look it up.

*somehow it shows in my quote but not on your message*

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Interesting video with lots of information but as soon as you mention "Sony Winning the war", I could see what direction the video was heading in. Looking forward to more games and more objective reviews of the hardware. I do agree that PS5 SSD will be a game-changer but Series X also has a fast SSD. It will still come down to the fact 1st party studios will come out with the best stuff but I just don't see games being made that a PC or Series X cannot do. A lot of hyperbole in the video on that front.

Also, judging anything purely based on numbers is moot at this point. Wait until we have some actual games to judge the relative performance of. All this number crunching back and forwards is just adding fuel to the fire at this pint

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Brace yourself, console war is coming.

/Imma out of this thread
I mean we're at a point where people can discredit someone while admitting they didn't even watch the video because they don't like their opinion only to immediately follow that comment by accusing other people of doing the same. Shit is nuts lol

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean we're at a point where people can discredit someone while admitting they didn't even watch the video because they don't like their opinion only to immediately follow that comment by accusing other people of doing the same. Shit is nuts lol
You don't mean people, you mean me so stop being inaccurate here. I didn't discredit, I won't give the video a click. This is different to what is currently happening to Alex and DF.