• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is crazy. Content warning: Execution

This is ridiculous. The guy is around 70, going by the eye test, and you have a damn mini militia that can handle an old dude that is obviously cranky from being bothered?

This is why protest can't stop.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Doucette been doing good work keeping track of all these police violence events during the protests.

Note: He became pretty popular through 2019 due to explaining and debunking all the bullshit around Vic Mignogna's (attempt to silence accusers of his sexual assaults) court case, angering tons of anti-women chuds due to his constant dunking on Vic's terrible lawyers.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
So witnesses say he had a gun (Turn out a BB gun) that he was waving around and pointing.

He had it tucked in his pants and refused to comply.

I can't fault the cops here.
Yes, you absolutely can. They went from 0 to 11 in a heartbeat, when they absolutely did not need to escalate and could've opted for just approaching and arresting him.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
Fucking Christ just WHY
According to the article he was waving around what had appeared to be a 9mm handgun, pointing it into traffic and manipulating the action. Whoever called the police thought it was a real firearm. Police reacted accordingly. Turned out to be a BB gun. Happens way more often than it should, but this is America and you cannot assume a gun shaped object is a toy.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do not watch that. That is not safe for life...

Man oh man, no one deserves to die like that.

ps3ud0 8)

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
So witnesses say he had a gun (Turn out a BB gun) that he was waving around and pointing.

Weirdly it says one cop used nonlethal rounds (rubber bullets), but the others did not.

PinaColada

Oct 27, 2017
Who gives a shit what you think it is. There are 300 million plus firearms in the US. Cops are armed to the fucking teeth, use all those tazers or bean bags or pepper spray. Just waving around something doesn't deserve being annihilated like that. The guy was obviously in rough shape.... there were and are other ways.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

What?

You absolutely fucking can. If you can't handle a 60 year old man lying on the ground, don't be a cop. They were, what, 5 guys with semi-automatic weapons?

There's undeniably a way to deal with this without killing anyone.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got to ask, why not use a tazer?

Seems the perfect reason to use one, though I dno what H&S assessment the police use before using that...

To me this is not appropriate use of force.

ps3ud0 8)

PinaColada

Oct 27, 2017
What?

You absolutely fucking can. If you can't handle a 60 year old man lying on the ground, don't be a cop. They were, what, 5 guys with automatic weapons?

There's undeniably a way to deal with this without killing people.
Preach! In this climate right now we already have how many assholes in this thread trying to excuse this shit. They can go fuck themselves.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
What?

You absolutely fucking can. If you can't handle a 60 year old man lying on the ground, don't be a cop. They were, what, 5 guys with automatic weapons?

There's undeniably a way to deal with this without killing people.

Not automatic. And you made the point: 5 guys with weapons.

This is sad and tragic, but not a case I would point to and say 100% that they did wrong.

Not that this is right, but individuals that they have every reasonable reason to believe is dangerous is where we can actually have conversations.

In a sane country with sane gun laws this would be different.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Why not? We are allowed to own guns, right? (I wish we weren't, but we are).
You're not allowed to wave them around and point them at cars, and you're definitely not allowed to draw them on police doing their jobs (in this case, trying to stop somebody from waving a gun around in public).

That said, it seems like they had a less lethal option available, but they didn't use it effectively. Maybe the rubber bullet could have stopped him without requiring lethal force, but the other officers didn't allow enough time for that to happen. Perhaps this is why cops should adopt a system where a single person is designated to initiate force.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Got to ask, why not use a tazer?

Seems the perfect reason to use one, though I dno what H&S assessment the police use before using that...

To me this is not appropriate use of force.

ps3ud0 8)

i have to assume a tazer could inadvertantly cause the victim to squeeze the trigger of the gun?

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deescalation is always the way. The unhoused are one of the groups most at risk of mental health issues which may explain the irrational behaviour.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
The rapid & routine escalation from failure to comply -> getting shot by American cops sounds just like an authoritarian's wet dream. Absolute obedience on the threat of summary execution.

Land of the free my ass, watching from outside is positively terrifying can't imagine living under such terror constantly.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Advocating Violence
That is fucking horrifying. Why are cops turning up with guns to speak to a homeless nothing. They should be all lined up and shot.

Edit: without knowing he has a gun they should still shouldn't be shooting him. They could have easily snuck up behind him and detained him that way.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
This seems like it could be caused by contagious or sympathetic fire. That's where one person shoots, so everyone else thinks that there is a threat and so they shoot. The initial shot was a rubber bullet, but it sounded like a real gun, and the other officers fire because they believe there's a lethal threat.

That said, the man clearly reached for the "gun" in his waistband, which makes it look like he was attempting suicide by cop, and each officer could have reached the conclusion of "Lethal force, shoot" independently.

That is fucking horrifying. Why are cops turning up with guns to speak to a homeless nothing. They should be all lined up and shot.

Edit: without knowing he has a gun they should still shouldn't be shooting him. They could have easily snuck up behind him and detained him that way.
There's a good reason why they didn't do this and that's because, if they had to shoot, then a busy street full of cars and the people inside them would have been directly in their line of fire.

The rapid & routine escalation from failure to comply -> getting shot by American cops sounds just like an authoritarian's wet dream. Absolute obedience on the threat of summary execution.

Land of the free my ass, watching from outside is positively terrifying can't imagine living under such terror constantly.
This isn't "failure to comply". He wasn't refusing to do what they told him to do, he tried to draw a fake gun on a bunch of cops with real guns pointed at him. It was suicide by cop, and it's not exclusive to the US (although it's more common there because US cops are so trigger happy).

Last edited:

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i have to assume a tazer could inadvertantly cause the victim to squeeze the trigger of the gun?
Fair enough, though I can't see why it wasn't used as soon as it appeared he wasn't going to comply.

Ultimately there were many ways to tackle this where the man didn't have to die, the police made sure they took the only one that guarantees his death.

Land of the free my ass.
I am very much tired of this situation where the member of the public has to act perfectly on such a situation otherwise it may end badly. Yet they aren't the ones trained to deal with these situations...

This is another example where he's given multiple instructions in short work and to comply with all of them is near impossible.

ps3ud0 8)

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
According to the article he was waving around what had appeared to be a 9mm handgun, pointing it into traffic and manipulating the action. Whoever called the police thought it was a real firearm. Police reacted accordingly. Turned out to be a BB gun. Happens way more often than it should, but this is America and you cannot assume a gun shaped object is a toy.
Yeah...

They can also just not escalate the situation.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I keep getting stuck between this place of confusion and despair.

Intellectually, I know why they shot him. They're fucking authoritarians. They literally see non-cop lives as subhuman and feel entitled to murder at a whim. The man wasn't a physical threat, not even really a threat ideologically, but he a defiance against them. And if your authoritarian, all defiance of you is an encroachment on your worldview. Intellectually, mechanically, I understand how cause A lead to result B.

But emotionally, I don't understand this. How do you get to a place where you think this is okay. He's an old, homeless man. He's no threat. Why do you need machine guns? Why do you need an entire squad for this? Do they not see how fucking cowardly this makes them? What, do they think they're hard because they gunned down a lone homeless guy?

Fuck the police, god damn it.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017

Intellectually, I know why they shot him. They're fucking authoritarians. They literally see non-cop lives as subhuman and feel entitled to murder at a whim.

But emotionally, I don't understand this. How do you get to a place where you think this is okay. He's an old, homeless man. He's no threat. Why do you need machine guns? Why do you need an entire squad for this? Do they not see how fucking cowardly this makes them? What, do they think they're hard because they gunned down a lone homeless guy?

They've had cowardice drilled into them to such an extent that anyone posing the most unlikely of threats has to be snuffed out immediately

Oct 25, 2017

Intellectually, I know why they shot him. They're fucking authoritarians. They literally see non-cop lives as subhuman and feel entitled to murder at a whim.

welcome to the exciting world of warrior training, where every single thing is a threat

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Appropriate here, too
ETaVlBFWAAAu5x0

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Can they even fucking talk? Do they literally have NO training apart from shooting EVERYTHING?

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

Intellectually, I know why they shot him. They're fucking authoritarians. They literally see non-cop lives as subhuman and feel entitled to murder at a whim. The man wasn't a physical threat, not even really a threat ideologically, but he a defiance against them. And if your authoritarian, all defiance of you is an encroachment on your worldview. Intellectually, mechanically, I understand how cause A lead to result B.

I google cops kill a homeless man for Albuquerque and I got multiple cases. Damn.

There was a big case as well:

www.npr.org

Albuquerque Police Shooting Trial Ends In A Hung Jury

Two former officers were on trial for murder in the 2014 shooting of a homeless man. The DOJ cited the shooting in its finding of a pattern of excessive force within Albuquerque's police department.

When the shooting occurred, Albuquerque's police department was under investigation by the U.S. Justice Department over its use of force. In April 2014, Justice identified a pattern of excessive force by officers in the city.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Ok WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT. These mother fuckers moving in like they think they are some super soldiers. FUCK them. That was goddamn horrible.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I read that this was the Swat team. We are seeing so many police departments with hundreds or riot shields, but they can't buy a handful of ballistic shields for the Swat team? What the fuck is the point of having these professional roles if all they know how to do is start shooting? Town watch could probably do a better job.

Edit...Wasn't the Swat team, but two of the five cops were Swat members. They should have known how to handle the situation.
www.abqjournal.com

APD: Man shot by officers was armed with a BB gun

Investigation continues into shooting of man waving gun at bus stop

Last edited:

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
People saying he was waving his toy and the cops were in the right because they couldn't know.... so you're saying they were right for killing tamir rice who was doing the same thing then?

Fuck this shit and fuck anyone defending this....

this is madness

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
They were fearful for their lives from a 70 yr old man. Man these pigs are such chickenshits. Gotta have all that back and everything still scares them.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
The homeless guy might shoot a single round off in a gun he might have. Better take the safest option and spray 50 bullets from an automatic rifle and turn a bus stop into fucking swiss cheese.

Fuck anyone defending this. This is disgusting. How do you do this and not vomit on the spot? How is this the first reaction? How was their first instinct just to light the dude up? They don't even react after. Cops aren't just bastards. They're terrorists. They're serial killers. Every single cop in that video deserves to be in prison for the rest of their lives.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is death squad practice. This made my blood boil like crazy. I can't say what I really wanna say about those murderous fascist pigs

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
cops killed a small kid with a toy gun in his front yard (tamir rice) and an adult with a toy gun in a walmart (john crawford). they dont know anything but full force. this isn't surprising.