• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Another night with me stuck awake at 3AM, the now familiar crawling sensation running through my right leg

RLS wasn't ever a factor in my life until I started tapering off my antidepressants (Fluoextine/Prozac in this case), effectively RLS was my prime withdrawal symptom, but I figured I'd eventually ride it out and that'd be that, I took my last dose in February, yet here I am now still with the early AM judders. No matter how long that half life is, I'm not sure it's just from withdrawal anymore.

After a sleepless night caused me to just absolutely break at work last month, my GP got in contact with the tools of relief, more pills!
So I'm taking a small dosage of Ropinirole, and it worked for almost one week, but now over the last week my legs are so riled up it's coming in the daylight hours as well, so I'm back in the bind, higher dosage? Different meds? go back to the antidepressants? (this whole thing has in fact made me feel my worst in 6 years)
I'd jumped off the antidepressants because they typically made me somewhat drowsy in the daytime, well I may not suffer that so strongly anymore but instead I've got the restless roulette of not sleeping much at all.

Yeah this is mainly a vent thread, though I'm wondering if anyone knows of any alleviation tips or coping tools.
Dr Google has all sorts of home remedies but apparently I have more faith if any Era members who live through this life of increasing discomfort.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know Magnesium Glycinate works.

But given the full course of pills you're on, I'm not sure it would address the cause.

I'd honestly try to ween off some of those meds and just stick with one if you must.

Try to only rely on supplements like magnesium.

Watch your diet closely.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I feel taking iron helped.

If it was very severe, cold water on legs and have them above the blanket until it's cold enough.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My RLS improved immensely after my PCP prescribed me ropinirole. It's often used to treat Parkinson's apparently, but at low dosages, it is effective against RLS. I essentially took it for a few months and most of my RLS is gone. You don't even have to keep taking it.

EDIT: Whoops, must have read over that you took it. My doc explained that it's a med that needs to be ramped. I was never taking a LOT, but I think my introductory period had me taking less, then more, then I stopped.

My RLS isn't COMPLETELY gone, but I was regularly smoking weed at night JUST to get my leg under control so I could sleep. I haven't had to do that in the year since I stopped the meds.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
I also got really bad RLS after tapering off my SSRI a few months ago. I was up until 4-5am every night just wanting to punch my legs....

I tied a bunch of supplements, iron, magnesium I think? I don't remember. Nothing worked.

But then it just stopped? Once the brain zaps we're gone and I finished tapering I was fine.

it just took a few months :/ I know no one wants to hear that haha

OP
OP
Nocturnowl

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Firstly, thanks for responding...

I know Magnesium Glycinate works.

But given the full course of pills you're on, I'm not sure it would address the cause.

I'd honestly try to ween off some of those meds and just stick with one if you must.

Try to only rely on supplements like magnesium.

Watch your diet closely.
Yeah I wouldn't plan of having two sets of medication at once for this, I'll try to contact my GP tomorrow and update them.

For some reason I've always been a bit doubtful when it comes to supplements, but I've been eyeing the magnesium.
Time to step up the leafy greens regardless I think.

I feel taking iron helped.

If it was very severe, cold water on legs and have them above the blanket until it's cold enough.
I imagine that's like an ice pack effect? it's one to keep in mind.

My RLS improved immensely after my PCP prescribed me ropinirole. It's often used to treat Parkinson's apparently, but at low dosages, it is effective against RLS. I essentially took it for a few months and most of my RLS is gone. You don't even have to keep taking it.

EDIT: Whoops, must have read over that you took it. My doc explained that it's a med that needs to be ramped. I was never taking a LOT, but I think my introductory period had me taking less, then more, then I stopped.

My RLS isn't COMPLETELY gone, but I was regularly smoking weed at night JUST to get my leg under control so I could sleep. I haven't had to do that in the year since I stopped the meds.
Interesting, maybe I'm jumping the gun here since it's only been three weeks or so.
I couldn't help but find it funny in a cruel way that one of the potential side effects is "may increase RLS symptoms"

I also got really bad RLS after tapering off my SSRI a few months ago. I was up until 4-5am every night just wanting to punch my legs....

I tied a bunch of supplements, iron, magnesium I think? I don't remember. Nothing worked.

But then it just stopped? Once the brain zaps we're gone and I finished tapering I was fine.

it just took a few months :/ I know no one wants to hear that haha
Actually that kinda is what I want to hear, gives me hope I might still be working towards a finish line of my body readapting, though I'm not too optimistic on that right now I've gotta say.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For some reason I've always been a bit doubtful when it comes to supplements, but I've been eyeing the magnesium.

From what I've read on RLS, it has to do with various electrolytes affecting muscle function and the way brain signals bounce back and forth from said muscles. Magnesium and Potassium are essential for tissue maintenance and formation, even brain function; magnesium supplements with added melatonin are one of the safest ways to improve sleep, which as you know goes to hell when you have RLS.

If you get muscle twitches (or fasciculations) then you'd probably benefit from a steady magnesium/Potassium diet. Bananas and black beans are rich in both. If you like pickled dills, they're also great.

Can't be a fussy eater about this. :P

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I've been taking 400mg everyday for the past 2 weeks and I feel like it has helped a ton. It's worth a shot.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really feel sorry for you guys who have this regularly. I get it maybe once or twice every other month, sometimes more sometimes less. But it is an absolutely nightmare when it hits. When it does happen it easily ends up being some of the worst nights sleep I've ever had.

I always start by putting deep heat, or if that's not available deep freeze, on my legs, and by on I mean covering them. The sensation of the heat/cold seems to confuse and override the restless feeling they have, but it doesn't always work.

If the deep heat doesn't work I usually turn to sleeping aids. I find most don't work well on me which why I don't take them, but with the deep heat I have a few of sips of say benylin for the cough I don't actually have helps send me off. If it's at its worst I usually find something with some codeine in. It's bad really, but I'll go to two different pharmacies and get different mixes of it with paracetamol and ibuprofen, then take it all together.

I find trying to sleep somewhere else helps sometimes too, I couldn't say why, but if the deep heat and drugs don't work I have to go sleep on the sofa in the living room. Maybe being slightly uncomfortable does something again distracting me, but it could be by this point I've gotten to tired to care and would fall asleep anywhere.

Popcicle

Unbroken Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've had intense RLS since I was young. I take an over the counter that helps a little but may I also recommend heat or compression blankets and pads on the rougher nights. Those help a ton for me.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I don't have it but my mother does. The doctors basically just proscribe her drugs like Aderoll cus they don't know how to treat it yet. Shit sucks.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
I had awful RLS in my early to mid 20's. Basically from 18-27 I don't think I ever had a full nights sleep. It was at its worst from 23-26.

Then one night it literally just...stopped. I have no explanation for it. Now, maybe one night a month I'll have RLS sensations in one of my ankles, which is weird, because it was always a full leg before.

I don't have any advice to give, but I empathize. Hang in there.

OP
OP
Nocturnowl

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Took my latest dose after dinner, and now my legs are acting up again already.
This ropinirole is top 10 anime betrayals material.

From what I've read on RLS, it has to do with various electrolytes affecting muscle function and the way brain signals bounce back and forth from said muscles. Magnesium and Potassium are essential for tissue maintenance and formation, even brain function; magnesium supplements with added melatonin are one of the safest ways to improve sleep, which as you know goes to hell when you have RLS.

If you get muscle twitches (or fasciculations) then you'd probably benefit from a steady magnesium/Potassium diet. Bananas and black beans are rich in both. If you like pickled dills, they're also great.

Can't be a fussy eater about this. :P
Sounds good to me, I've got my bananas at the ready by chance today.