• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Hello. I've been reading a bit about how some coolers might be better for cooling the small chips and how there can be issues if the buttom of the chip or the cooler isn't entirely flat, so I'm just wondering how people here on resetera is doing with cooling their chip ?

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just use the one that i got with it. the wraith prism is pretty alright for normal purposes

fee_786_587_png

OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
I just use the one that i got with it. the wraith prism is pretty alright for normal purposes
It looks cool, but I heard it can get loud under load. I'm looking around because I want a quiet solution.

I've considered that, but besides the price, I've also read it's super difficult to mount and some people have temperature spikes. Your temps are fine ?

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It looks cool, but I heard it can get loud under load. I'm looking around because I want a quiet solution.
yeah this thing goes hard once it starts going. as i have a wireless closed headphone i am not bothered by the noises thankfully :D

maybe worth noting is that this has a low and high fan speed mode, for those who want to keep it on the quieter side

other cooler in the past i used were scythe mugen rev 2b or something.. that was a few years ago tho, so i bet there are new versions available. back then they were pretty good bang for the buck and not too bad for noise iirc

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I have a 3900X, not a 3700X but I'm using a Noctua NH-U14S and it's working great for my chip. Nice thing is, it doesn't interfere with any RAM slots, has plenty of clearance for my video card, and you can throw a second fan on the back to make the cooling even better. I highly recommend it. If you need something smaller the Noctua NH-U12A is also great.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Not overclocking but I read several places that the small 7nm ryzen chips have difficulties with heat dissapation and some of it might have to do with not making full contact on some coolers ?

Also going to be using it for rendering so it's going to get high utilization.
I haven't had any issue with the stock cooler on my 3600, but I've sot a sound dampening case.

You might want to try a Noctua cooler

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Don't know the problem you are talking about, all CPUs and coolers are affected if the surfaces aren't smooth/making good contact. There was something about the chiplets being off center under the IHS which led to some water blocks not working optimally but I haven't really heard anything about air coolers.

I got a Hyper 212 Black Edition on mine for reduced noise. You have to go up quite a bit in price if you want better thermals.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
I've considered that, but besides the price, I've also read it's super difficult to mount and some people have temperature spikes. Your temps are fine ?
I find it pretty easy to mount but yeah I read that a lot of people find it very difficult. Probably because I mount it outside the case.

My temp is fine.

axbrMqz.png

That was during heavy MMO session (MMO is CPU heavy) with Youtube and Netflix running.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
The only issues I noticed initially after launch were some nutty voltage fluctuations causing some temp spikes at idle, but that went away for me after a couple of BIOS updates (on an Asus Prime x470-Pro)
I'm using a Corsair H115i with my 3700X btw. Keeps it nice and frosty.

OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
yeah this thing goes hard once it starts going. as i have a wireless closed headphone i am not bothered by the noises thankfully :D

maybe worth noting is that this has a low and high fan speed mode, for those who want to keep it on the quieter side

other cooler in the past i used were scythe mugen rev 2b or something.. that was a few years ago tho, so i bet there are new versions available. back then they were pretty good bang for the buck and not too bad for noise iirc
I've considered the Scythe Ninja 5, the Noctua 15 something and the be quiet dark pro 4. The last two are pretty pricey though, and I've read mixed results with them. Would be a shame to spend that kind of money and not have a solid solution for this particular chip.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
I've considered the Scythe Ninja 5, the Noctua 15 something and the be quiet dark pro 4. The last two are pretty pricey though, and I've read mixed results with them. Would be a shame to spend that kind of money and not have a solid solution for this particular chip.
If you want to get a budget one, get Hyper 212 Black. It's quite cheap and perform really well. Huge pain in the ass to mount though.

OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
I actually have a Cryorig H5 I was going to use, but I can't get a hold of the AM4 bracket anywhere. I've been in contact with support who finally after giving me a link to a website that had it sold out (and listed at around 600 dollars) told me to contact their nordic distributor which I then did. They haven't gotten back to me however, so I've been looking at other solutions.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Check the AGESA version on the BIOS you're running. I think they changed the way it reports temps to prevent monitoring applications from freaking out like they did during release. Other than that, the Ryzen 3xxx chips are fairly easy to keep under control. As other mentioned, even the stock cooler is pretty good.

Last edited:

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Well....

My 3900x is using a Noctua NH‑D15 SE‑AM4, keeps temps cool. My kids gaming PC with the 3600 is using the Wraith cooler and it's fine. Not this applies, but my HTPC/4K gaming setup is running a 2700x, overclocked and using the stock cooler and it's doing fine.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
I use a Scythe Fuma 2 with mine. It was super easy to install and haven't had any cooling issues. Rarely see temps over 70, usually hangs around in the 50s in games with spikes around 65-68. It hasn't made any noticeable noise to my ears either.

Amazon listing for it

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I'm using the stock cooler set to high but using a profile that only really cranks up the speed above 65C. That seems to provide enough cooling while not sounding like a jet engine all the time or audibly revving up and down.

A better cooler would probably offer better performance for benchmarks with sustained heavy loads, but probably not much of an advantage during every day use without overclocking. I can't be bothered to change it either.

Gjerven

Nov 30, 2017
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm planning on getting a 3700x next week. I have a Corsair h60 (2013v) which is cooling my 4690k (4.5 oc), and does a good job at it while not exactly silent.

Will the Wraith Prism be better/quieter? Or should I just use the h60? 3700x has a lower TDP, which should make less work for the h60.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
I use a Scythe Fuma 2 with mine. It was super easy to install and haven't had any cooling issues. Rarely see temps over 70, usually hangs around in the 50s in games with spikes around 65-68. It hasn't made any noticeable noise to my ears either.

Amazon listing for it
Yeah, the Scythe coolers are great and I constantly recommend them
I use the Scythe Mugen 5, and before that I had the Scythe Fuma 1, both great coolers and never heard noise from them at all and you should definitely grab one OP.

Here's a Scythe Fuma 2 review that list the Mugen in the graph. I recommend the Mugen more because it's a lot smaller, I was having RAM compatibility issues with the original Fuma, and it cost less than $50. Both coolers compete with $80+ dollar air coolers like the BeQuiet Dark Rock and Noctua coolers that cost almost twice as much.

Ecks

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Considering upgrading to this soon. Has anyone found any cooling issues with video editing applications like After Effects or Premiere?

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
if you arent OCing why do you need an aftermarket cooler? whats wrong with the provided cooler?

OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Scythe coolers are great and I constantly recommend them
I use the Scythe Mugen 5, and before that I had the Scythe Fuma 1, both great coolers and never heard noise from them at all and you should definitely grab one OP.

Here's a Scythe Fuma 2 review that list the Mugen in the graph. I recommend the Mugen more because it's a lot smaller, I was having RAM compatibility issues with the original Fuma, and it cost less than $50. Both coolers compete with $80+ dollar air coolers like the BeQuiet Dark Rock and Noctua coolers that cost almost twice as much.
The scythe fans look neat, especially for their price but I'm really not sure which one to get if I were to get one. I don't really mind a big cooler. From what I can tell, despite the low rpm the Ninja might be the best performer of all of them ? However, I'm concerned that it might not be able to keep up with a full load

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Using a Blizzard T2 for my 3600x, its a bit louder than my old cooler but its holding the temps really well.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I recently got a 3800x.

I have random temp spikes while idling which kicks my fan higher every 5-10 seconds or so. (I go from like a 50C idle to 62 or so)
I've tried a few things but haven't quite been able to fix it, but from what I've read it's not uncommon for it. Either way under actual performance it performs fine. I maxed out my ps2 emulator while streaming it last night and it just stayed at 68-69C

I'm just using the stock cpu fan with it.

Rizzo

Oct 27, 2017
I recently got a 3800x.

I have random temp spikes while idling which kicks my fan higher every 5-10 seconds or so. (I go from like a 50C idle to 62 or so)
I've tried a few things but haven't quite been able to fix it, but from what I've read it's not uncommon for it. Either way under actual performance it performs fine. I maxed out my ps2 emulator while streaming it last night and it just stayed at 68-69C

I had the same issue, so I just changed the fan curve to not ramp up until ~60C.

Ertai

Oct 28, 2017
I've been using the stock cooler since i got it. It's a bit noisy from time to time but it does the job with keeping the CPU cool enough.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Using the stock cooler with a 3700x and it hovers around 45-50c idle. I dont oc though and played through Fallen Order without any issues nor did the fans ramp up on me. I might switch to something else in the future but im too concerned.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Running a Noctua NH‑D15 as well, it's a little overkill, but it's very quiet, runs very cool, and I appreciate that Noctua provides upgrade kits for new sockets, so it's a relatively good investment.

I recently got a 3800x.

I remember reading somewhere that this was a software issue, and that temps weren't actually spiking, but the reported temp spikes causes the fans to kick in. Was that ever determined to be the case, or do they really just have temp spikes?
I had the same issue, so I just changed the fan curve to not ramp up until ~60C.
This is what I did as well.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
The scythe fans look neat, especially for their price but I'm really not sure which one to get if I were to get one. I don't really mind a big cooler. From what I can tell, despite the low rpm the Ninja might be the best performer of all of them ? However, I'm concerned that it might not be able to keep up with a full load
I have a 3800X and it works fine.
Just wanted to let you know I played a Destiny 2 Strike for around 30 minutes and my temps were averaging around 55 degrees and highest was 60
Then I ran the GTA V benchmark twice and it stayed around the same.
No fan curve or anything and it stayed quiet.