• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
If you know, you know.
latest
Yea I hate to say it but I agree. Storm blood kind of ended in an blase part until the pre-Shadowbringers story seriously ramps up. But she got to pose like the amano drawing while one of them holds the flag awkwardly

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Assassins-Creed-III-Liberation-Assassin-Persona.jpg

Aveline from Assassin's Creed Liberation. She's the first female protagonist in the series, she looks awesome and playing as a black woman fighting slavers in 18th century Louisiana is a great concept. Too bad the game is so scaled down compared to the rest of the series (it was a Vita game) that it's not really worth it. Even the story is barely there, and she acts more like a placeholder than an actual character. Ubi should bring her back in a better game.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Aveline from Assassin's Creed Liberation. She's the first female protagonist in the series, she looks awesome and playing as a black woman fighting slavers in 18th century Louisiana is a great concept. Too bad the game is so scaled down compared to the rest of the series (it was a Vita game) that it's not really worth it. Even the story is barely there, and she acts more like a placeholder than an actual character. Ubi should bring her back in a better game.
She looks like a damn Bloodborne character. Such a waste of a good design.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Arno, Aveline, and basically all of the AC Chronicles protags are the series' best designs yet they're in the most mediocre games.

6LPWaas_390x400_1x-0.jpg

Though I believe Shao Jun has a decent track record in the spin-off material

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
latest

Tekken 7 STILL hasn't recovered from Leroy Smith, the harbinger of the awful balancing decisions of season 3. The stigma will unfortunately stay with him for a long time.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't think I'll ever understand the Lyse disappointment but I was very slow in making my way through the expansions so I never saw how they hyped stuff up. She's not exactly great but I wouldn't call her lame either.

Also to me Aranea is the opposite - her design is pretty terrible but her personality is great fun. Her Episode Prompto outfit is better, at least.

826c224040a275d59456c717aa92f7fc.png

I'd say Zelda from Twilight Princess has one of the best designs for the character in the series but her actual role in the story is so disappointing. At least the headcanons that she and Midna have feelings for each other add something to the character.

dcnxyjb-ea51c896-9d93-4a35-bae3-f4b43cdbbaef.png

Hot take: Basically all Zelda's disappoint. The plot boiling down to 'save the waif' almost every time has really soured me on her.

That sword is just for show, hun.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Darth Nihilus, KOTOR 2

GOIOuB9.jpg

In a game with some great villains (or not, it can get complicated) this guy was a huge let-down. He was presented as some sort of Force-sucking black hole that nobody should mess with, but his encounter and fight was straightforward and simple, and he had zero personality to speak of. Compared to Traya and Darth Sion, Nihilus was a big nothing-burger. I still remember that Sion fight, and Traya was just shades of grey on grey.

I think this was more engine and budget limitations than anything else. The fight with him obviously didn't come close to doing it justice, cinematically or canonically (he goes down very easily when he should have been near-unkillable).

However, he wasn't supposed to have a personality, that was the entire point of his character.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Grey from Valkyrie Profile.
I still don't know who or what he's supposed to be.
He just looks cool and is a low-tier character in battle.
latest

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Grey from Valkyrie Profile.
I still don't know who or what he's supposed to be.
He just looks cool and is a low-tier character in battle.
latest

Had to step in for this one. Grey was pretty cool.

VP definitely doesn't make it easy to untangle. It's complicated, but in a sense he's the primary "antagonist" of a specific clique of Einherjar (Lawfer, Aelia, etc.). For all of them, their stories are told in broken snapshots as you recruited each one, sometimes with overlapping VA. IIRC Grey in particular had one of the most obscure characterizations unless you recruited and listened carefully to all of the other clique-members stories.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Kain Highwind (Final Fantasy IV)
latest

I love his design, but man does he suck as a character.
Dude betrays the party not once but twice because his friend Cecil ended up with Rosa. And in the end dude fucks off somewhere in the mountains. What a loser.

This kind of opinion should be bannable.

Also:

latest

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
latest

Meredith in DA2 in a series sorely lacking empathetic templar characters. It seemed like there was a chance in Act 2 where they were trying to humanize her a bit with the story of her past and why she became a templar, then Act 3 happened.

da3zpk7uk8901.jpg

Sheva deserved better than what she got in RE5, which was essentially nothing.

Venom had a chance to be a lot more as a character, and even the end twist doesn't really justify the nothing-burger he is in the vast majority of cutscenes.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bunny women from the FF Tactics universe look cools as hell. Too bad there hasn't been a cool one with an actual personality.