• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Save some of the pasta water when you drain it and you can make some quick easy sauces without having to mess with a roux. It's how I make homemade mac n cheese, cacio de pepe, or other cheesy pastas. Helps keep it much lighter as well.

Oct 25, 2017
  • A cast iron skillet sounds intimidating but once you learn some basic maintenance that isn't really that hard when you get down to it, it's one of the most useful tools in your kitchen.
  • Learn to repurpose your leftovers. Left over chicken? Instead of just heating it up, shred it and put it in a quesadila or an omelette or something.
  • For some of the best mash potatos, heat up the butter and milk together over a low heat so that when you add it to the potatoes they don't instantly cool it. Also add a good dollop of sourcream inside.
  • Taste your ingredients. Stick your finger in seasoning and try to imagine it in your food. If you're using something new, cut off a piece and give it a taste. Try to build a better understanding of different flavors for yourself.
  • There is a huge difference between salted and unsalted butter. namely the salt. If you're using the former, make damn sure you cut out the salt already in the baking recipe.

I want to get into chicken but need some help.

I bought some marinade, poured it into a bag with a chicken breast, and left in fridge overnight. Then today put it on a stainless steel skillet, did about 8 min on side one on medium, then 10 min on other side on low with a cover on for last 10 min. It was pretty good except for the outside got a little... not crusty, but the exposed layer was somewhat hard, compared to the inside which was fine. What does that mean? Do I lower the heat? Did the lid do that?

It sounds mostly like you overcoooked your chicken. Usually, you do the longer time first than you flip with shorter intervals each time but I honestly would have assumed the whole thing was overcooked from how long you cooked it but if it came out fine than I guess what do I know.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

I bought some marinade, poured it into a bag with a chicken breast, and left in fridge overnight. Then today put it on a stainless steel skillet, did about 8 min on side one on medium, then 10 min on other side on low with a cover on for last 10 min. It was pretty good except for the outside got a little... not crusty, but the exposed layer was somewhat hard, compared to the inside which was fine. What does that mean? Do I lower the heat? Did the lid do that?
Too much moisture from your marinade likely. Keeping the lid on will trap that moisture as well. Try a dry rub/marinade. You can minimize this issue to some extent by not pouring excess marinade into the pan with the chicken, or attempting to simmer the moisture off first with high heat but you risk overcooking. It's easier to get a good crust with a thigh, drum, or wing which can stand a bit more heat and cooking.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

well, your first problem is cooking chicken breasts

its a very dry, tasteless meat so it needs to be treated correctly. the best way to cook chicken breast is on the bone of a whole chicken, which retains soo much more flavor and juiciness without having to add anything, but obviously no one wants to take the extra time/skill needed sooo instead we buy these gigantic hormone boneless skinless breasts from the store which need a lot of help to taste good.

anyway, a good 24 hour marinade will help a lot, and if you have extra big breasts, I'd butterfly them or at the very least poke some holes with a skewer to allow more marinade penetration. the trick with breasts is to cook them quickly and with high heat, this allows moisture retention and some myriad reaction for extra flavor. to achieve this, I again suggest butterflying them to get them thinner and allow the breast to cook evenly (so the thin section of the breast doesn't overcook with the thicker end is still cooking). I don't like cooking them in a pan unless I'm doing some form of breading, or cooking skin on, and would opt for the grill if you have one. also if you use a pan with a marinade your chicken will probably just stick and you won't be able to do high heat/quick cooking because of this. if you insist on using a pan, I would opt for something simple like a brine, then drying your breast, seasoning with salt/pepper (or a rub), getting some oil in a pan on high heat, and add the chicken, cook for a couple mins on each side, using a lid if its still under in the middle.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I came here for a good time and honestly I'm feeling so attacked right now /s

Things I'll take away:
-don't pour extra marinade while cooking (I did)
-maybe no lid? Or less lid, and or lower temp
-learn terms like butterfly

TY all

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
My tips:

- Taste everything
- If you're new to cooking, stick to the damn recipe.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for pickling, I tried it for the first time but my little cucumbers are not crispy??

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Steamed potato =/= baked potato. If you're cooking your potato wrapped inside foil, it's the former not the latter. Irrespective of what your favorite recipe site or cookbook says. Simple rule of thumb is, if moisture can't escape, you're steaming not baking.

For a deliciously-fluffy, mid-sized (10-12 oz.) baked potato with crispy skin, observe the following steps:
1. Preheat oven to 500F (+/- a few degrees, depending on how hot your oven runs).
2. Scrub the dirt off the skin with a brush or sponge.
3. Brush the skin with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
4. Poke some holes all round with a fork.
5. Place in oven on a cooking pan and bake for ~1 hour (again, some ovens run a little hotter than others, so adjust accordingly with experience).
6. Remove from oven and, gripping it with a clean kitchen towel, (carefully) give the spud a good smack to break open the skin. This is better than slicing into it with a blade as it facilitates release of moisture.
7. Fluff up the insides a bit with a fork, add seasoning and whichever toppings you prefer (butter, chives, bacon bits, sour cream, etc.), and serve.

Note that foil is nowhere to be seen in this recipe. As it should never be unless you're purposefully steaming.

Easy perfect roast chicken:

- Med/Small to Medium-sized chicken
- Pat dry (thoroughly)
- (Optional) Herb mix - put UNDER the skin of the breast if you're using any
- Rub a little bit of olive oil over the whole chicken, then salt and pepper with gusto
- Preheat oven to 220c (~425f)
- Roast for 20-25mins depending on which side of small-medium your chicken lands on
- Then turn oven down to 160c (320f) for 20mins
- Let rest 8-10mins

9.5/10 times the chicken comes out perfectly (crispy skin, juicy inside)

hb8aJKO.jpg

Bonus:

- Buy seedless red or black grapes
- Sprinkle in olive oil, then salt and pepper
- Nestle in the pan alongside the chicken
- Profit

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Easy perfect roast chicken:

- Med/Small to Medium-sized chicken
- Pat dry (thoroughly)
- (Optional) Herb mix - put UNDER the skin of the breast if you're using any
- Rub a little bit of olive oil over the whole chicken, then salt and pepper with gusto
- Preheat oven to 220c (~425f)
- Roast for 20-25mins depending on which side of small-medium your chicken lands on
- Then turn oven down to 160c (320f) for 20mins
- Let rest 8-10mins

9.5/10 times the chicken comes out perfectly (crispy skin, juicy inside)

hb8aJKO.jpg

Bonus:

- Buy seedless red or black grapes
- Sprinkle in olive oil, then salt and pepper
- Nestle in the pan alongside the chicken
- Profit
Looks amazing, do you ever brine your chicken first?

Last edited:

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Give every "bad" recipe a second chance.

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I was really happy to find a way to cook chicken that was reliable (and easy). It's always been the hardest meat for me to get right. As for brining, I haven't yet, actually. Too much effort when I'm trying to juggle work, kids, and house. :P You? Is it worth it?
It's how my mom taught me to do it but I'll admit while it's delicious that way it tends to prevent me from making a nice roast chicken for anything but like Sunday dinner or a special occasion.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Buy a proper knife. Don't skimp, it's an investment that will pay off for years. Learn the basics, including how to sharpen the knife yourself. It will make hell of a difference in the long run.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I want to cook a restaurant level burger, any advice/recipes

never impressed with my own cooking besides spaghetti sauce i've gotten pretty good at

I want to cook a restaurant level burger, any advice/recipes

never impressed with my own cooking besides spaghetti sauce i've gotten pretty good at

Keep it simple (good butcher quality mince, salt and pepper) and use grated onion. I've found that doing a mixture of different kinds of mince also adds a little something. Ex. Short rib mince, mince brisket, etc. Oh, and make sure you use the right kind of cut to keep it moist like chuck (you need something with a decent fat %).

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a cooking OT?

About 4 weeks ago I started making various Miso Pastes. The Tamari sauce is soooo much better than anything I've ever had before.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Three recent things:

1) I made some preserved lemons because they are sooo hard to find in stores around here, and really expensive to buy online and really punch up any Moroccan or really any Mediterranean dish. It's just Lemons, Salt and Water and let them sit for three+ weeks. Ideally use Meyer Lemons because of their thinner skin.

2) I always finish my steaks with a bit of butter and lemon, and you should too.

3) Buy yellow flesh potatoes and use Chef John's Roasted Potatoes recipe. Cut them into wedges though, then boil in the water with onion flakes, garlic and herbs. Then toss with cayanne, salt and olive oil and roast. Easily the crispiest, fluffiest potatoes I've ever had and they come out perfect every time. Like they are better than any french fry and a lot less calories...which you're transferring over to that buttered steak, but what the hell...you gotta live and eat right.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/255019/special-roasted-potatoes/