• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to play these damn games. I heard this port is infamously bad, but....is it really? Or is it just annoying things that get in the way a bit?

My only experience with the series was watching my older brothers play the first game. Since then, I've seen clips and praise of the second title, and...god, it just looks right up my alley. I want it. I need it.

Looks like it's going for 30 bucks right now. Not cheap, but eh.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking atrocious. It lessens two incredible horror classic to technical messes. They deserved far, far better.

Oct 27, 2017
It goes on sale on XBL sometimes for $7-15. You could wait. I'd say if the ps2 version is an option it's still best. The 360 versions isn't great but a lot of it still tracks despite glitches and the messed up fog

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
It's an absolute buggy mess. Konami actually lost the original final build code so the "remaster" has a lot of textures that are actually worse. If you want to experience Silent Hill 2 & 3, either obtain the original PS2 versions, or emulate them in PCSX2! They look absolutely phenomenal in that emulator.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
D77Q8ZBWsAUpUV6.jpg

zcDDc.jpeg

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
If you just wanna waste money, you can just paypal me money so I can buy Genshin gems. Probably a better result than playing these fantastic games in such a flawed package.

Oct 25, 2017
Do it only if you have way too much money and want to get rid of it whatever it takes, and if you want to be angry with yourself afterwards because you bought crap.

OP
OP
HououinKyouma

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL this is so disheartening to see, it looks awful....I can deal with "lazy" ports, but man, this looks so much worse.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
You'd be better reading the wikipedia than buying those games, there are bad ports and then there are "let's destroy a lot of what made these games special" kind of ports, SH Collection is the later

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
If you have no other way to play its an acceptable way to play these games.

Dont look at comparisons just buy it and play OP.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
The HD collection is so bad to the point that I would literally tell someone to just not play the games rather than experience them for the first time in that manner. It's just not worth it.

dotpatrick

Oct 28, 2017
The PC versions of 2 and 3 with the mods that are out there is probably the best way to play it now. I don't know how easy they are to find now/how much they cost, but it is worth looking into if you don't mind doing a little work to get it running.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Serviceable as an absolute last resort if you've played them before. Find another way if you haven't.

A busted version of Silent Hill 2 is still better than most games.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would only get them through if they are gifted on Gold someday. And I'm not even sure redeem them is a good idea 😅

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
Save up a little more money, get almost any older pc with a dedicated gpu (even an complete outdated GTX 770 does the job perfectly well) and play it with the community fixes. It literally runs on almost any pc way better than the "HD" edition.

This video is 3 years old and they still regularly update, fix and improve the game. Do yourself a favor and just get anything with a gpu and it will work out.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Save up a little more money, get almost any older pc with a dedicated gpu (even an complete outdated GTX 770 does the job perfectly well) and play it with the community fixes. It literally runs on almost any pc way better than the "HD" edition.

This video is 3 years old and they still regularly update, fix and improve the game. Do yourself a favor and just get anything with a gpu and it will work out.

Do you need the disc for this to work??

Khalid

Oct 25, 2017
Wait and hope for it to be GwG. Zone of the Enders HD Collection which is also by Konami is currently GwG.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I just want to play these damn games. I heard this port is infamously bad, but....is it really? Or is it just annoying things that get in the way a bit?

Yes, it is really that bad. It's the go to example of how bad a remaster can be. The list of problems is too intense to count. You've got the well documented ones like the fog isn't thick enough so you see unfinished assets and dead ends you weren't supposed to see. You've got visual and audio bugs at every corner. Assets are unfinished. So on and so on. The roads look so smooth and unfinished that the art director of SH2 expressed bafflement openly on twitter they actually released it like that.

Then you've got deeper problems like they redid all the voice acting and while the actors are all A-list voice talent, the delivery and direction is a lot more... anime, for lack of a better word. It doesn't really fit the tone of the game in a lot of places.

This is what happens when an inexperienced dev team used to low budget mobile games are given an unfinished beta build of a game and told to clean it up and make an HD port out of it. Yes, if you didn't know, Konami lost the final build so they gave them an older one that had tons of unfinished assets and unfixed bugs the original team had fixed themselves before release. And then on top of that you add a bunch of disagreements between Konami and their old voice talent.

All that being said. If you don't have a computer that can emulate the PS2 versions or run the fan patched versions of the native PC ones, and you're never going to spend the money on the PS2 version themselves... I suppose it's better than never playing it at all. I'd try and wait, though.

Oct 25, 2017

hot DAMN I need to get this

OP
OP
HououinKyouma

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it is really that bad. It's the go to example of how bad a remaster can be. The list of problems is too intense to count. You've got the well documented ones like the fog isn't thick enough so you see unfinished assets and dead ends you weren't supposed to see. You've got visual and audio bugs at every corner. Assets are unfinished. So on and so on. The roads look so smooth and unfinished that the art director of SH2 expressed bafflement openly on twitter they actually released it like that.

Then you've got deeper problems like they redid all the voice acting and while the actors are all A-list voice talent, the delivery and direction is a lot more... anime, for lack of a better word. It doesn't really fit the tone of the game in a lot of places.

This is what happens when an inexperienced dev team used to low budget mobile games are given an unfinished beta build of a game and told to clean it up and make an HD port out of it. Yes, if you didn't know, Konami lost the final build so they gave them an older one that had tons of unfinished assets and unfixed bugs the original team had fixed themselves before release. And then on top of that you add a bunch of disagreements between Konami and their old voice talent.

All that being said. If you don't have a computer that can emulate the PS2 versions or run the fan patched versions of the native PC ones, and you're never going to spend the money on the PS2 version themselves... I suppose it's better than never playing it at all. I'd try and wait, though.
Ugh, sounds as close to irredeemable as possible.

UnrulyUmbreon

Apr 2, 2018
I'll take a different angle and note that it goes on sale for $7.50. So if you're dead set on buy the HD Collection, at least don't pay $30 for it.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Replacing the original voice actors without offering the originals was like, nigh on the list of things to absolutely 100% fuck up and that was the FIRST thing they did. 😂

Let's not even get into the fact they're basing their "HD COLLECTION" on fundamentally buggy, incomplete builds. UGH.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's an absolute buggy mess. Konami actually lost the original final build code so the "remaster" has a lot of textures that are actually worse. If you want to experience Silent Hill 2 & 3, either obtain the original PS2 versions, or emulate them in PCSX2! They look absolutely phenomenal in that emulator.
Yeah, this is what I did (PCSX2). I think it's the best way if you have the original discs, although it's insane what just the discs are going for nowadays. :(

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
I played SH2 on Xbox (OG) but I never had access to 3 so I played it on the HD collection and had a great time.

I would recommend avoiding 2 HD though.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Where the hell are SH2 and 3 on gog? Been almost a year since The Room, guess we might get another one in October or did they just forget they were doing those releases lol

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
The HD collection was how I first played these games and I quite enjoyed them. Can't miss what you never experienced 🤷‍♂️

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would strongly advise against spending any money on the HD Collection. Personally, if you can't get the original PS2 versions and are unable to instal the PC versions, I would recommend seeking out a good let's play of the games instead of playing the HD Collection.
If I may make a recommendation, there's a really good blind LP of the Silent Hill trilogy, done by a guy called L0rdVega. It's pretty old, but I think holds up well.
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL311A6732EB56255F

Super Best Friends also have a good LP that's very in-depth on the games.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Where the hell are SH2 and 3 on gog? Been almost a year since The Room, guess we might get another one in October or did they just forget they were doing those releases lol

It's Konami. They've largely given up on their game division. I wish someone would buy them out. Literally anybody else could do a better job.

SneakyBeans

Chicken Chaser
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I played it unpatched on 360 in 2012 and I had fun with them. Sure, they may not be the absolute best ways to play those games, but if they're the easiest way for you to access them I say go for it. I know the community hates the HD ports but I think from my own experiences it's fine to play these versions. As long as you understand the flaws and are okay with them

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have no other way to play it then go do it, they're still great games. That's what I did and I Still loved them.

Wait for it to go Sal tho, 30 is steep