• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Great trailer especially with the costumes but doesn't tell you anything about the story , is this the final movie because like the above poster said it feels like it's a trailer for a full movie or tv series

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What was I meant to take away from that?

That half baked Poe Dameron wannabe interrogation scene with big evil bad man though did make me laugh.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
As I stated in the OT. This is NOT a trailer or "Short Story", this is a Demo Reel, they will utilize this to try to get funding to make a movie.
It's kind of you to clarify, because they sure as hell don't
Youtube description:
From Neill Blomkamp, Oats Studios and BioWare comes a live-action story of survival set in the world of Anthem, decades before the events of the game.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
As I stated in the OT. This is NOT a trailer or "Short Story", this is a Demo Reel, they will utilize this to try to get funding to make a movie.

Unless you've got some sort of source, you're simply guessing that is what they may do. Don't state guesses as facts.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Don't overthink this video. It's a whole bunch of pretty looking nothing. EA wanted that live action trailer and they got it. To experience the rest, play the game folks. We are not getting a movie lol

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
- Neil, can you make a live action trailer for our game?
- Sure, what's the story?
- [...]
- Yeah, lol, no. I'm gonna make my own shit, we'll just say it's years before or something.

MollyMillions

Nov 19, 2017
What's weird/frustrating about it is there's some compelling imagery in there: this girl being found wandering the wild, her living in Fort Tarsis and eventually piloting an Interceptor and encountering the Anthem, some sort of betrayal of the community by that one dude, except it's all completely vague, and we know the actual game isn't set up to have this kind of cinematic storytelling in the open world. So all this does is paint a misleading picture of the game's narrative style, and tease a story we'll never see or learn any more about?

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
What's weird/frustrating about it is there's some compelling imagery in there: this girl being found wandering the wild, her living in Fort Tarsis and eventually piloting an Interceptor and encountering the Anthem, some sort of betrayal of the community by that one dude, except it's all completely vague, and we know the actual game isn't set up to have this kind of cinematic storytelling in the open world. So all this does is paint a misleading picture of the game's narrative style, and tease a story we'll never see or learn any more about?

I think the game'll have more story than people expect:

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
This will likely be as interesting as the actual story, or nonsensical, confusing or as short in the game.
Visuals were okay, he/they've done much better work with Oats.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I found this in the Anthem Subreddit.

"The amount of shooting time and how much imagery you have to actually capture into three minutes to make it feel legitimate is exponentially more work than you think it would be," Blomkamp says.

"I wrote two 10-page scripts, going off of the idea that a page is roughly a minute," he explains. "I was proposing 20 minutes of footage, which was way beyond the budget scope we were dealing with. So I eventually condensed everything into one 10-page script and everyone was like, 'Dude, it's a three-minute piece. You can't hand in a 10-page script.' I was like, 'No, it has to be 10 pages because we don't know what's gonna live and what's gonna die in the edit room.' We have to overshoot it in order to make it feel like a trailer so we can pick the best pieces. We can't know that until the footage exists."

Source

Personally, this was an awesome video and I really hope they get to make it a full production.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
so this has nothing to do with the game, and is not tied to any series/movie currently in production.

without sounding ungrateful, is there any reason I should care about anything that I just watched?

MollyMillions

Nov 19, 2017
I think the game'll have more story than people expect:

Oh cool, I've been staying away from campaign spoilers and haven't played the demo weekends. I assumed based on the whole "Our World/Your Story" breakdown that other than voice chatter there wouldn't really be npcs or non-shooting interactions or cutscenes outside of Fort Tarsis. I'm excited to see that at least cutscenes may be in.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
so this has nothing to do with the game, and is not tied to any series/movie currently in production.

without sounding ungrateful, is there any reason I should care about anything that I just watched?

It's an ad for the game, you aren't supposed to be invested in ads, it just builds awareness, hype, etc

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Well, much like Blomkamp did with the Halo 3 commercials then, which were supposed to be "tests" for the Halo Movie, which never came, but was spinned into District 9.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Really well made but I find it strange to advertise this as a "story set decades before the game" only for it to be a trailer for a story we will never see. Hope it's not important to the story of the game.

Or maybe it will gain enough interest to develop it into a full short.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't have shown me aerial dogfights against other Javelins, because that seems really cool and doesn't seem to be a part of the actual game.

Jun 3, 2018
Nice trailer, good advert for Anthem. EA must have given them a massive ton of cash to make this. If the game had Oats Studios and Neil Bloomkamp in charge of the narrative I would be sold. Buuuuuuut I'll wait on reviews for Anthem.