• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

https://translate.google.com/transl...me.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1184189.html

The Columbus Circle will release a "Super Converter for (Switch / PS4)" in mid-July that will make the PlayStation 4 / Nintendo Switch compatible with the Nintendo Switch / PS4 / Wii U / Wii controller. The price is open and the reference price is 6,480 yen (excluding tax).

XtNISxv.jpg

ltsFOE2.jpg

qGEuxGE.jpg

lock if old.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Already have magic ns i think it is called that allows to use ps3/4 pads on switch(wireless too), works quite well. Not interested the other way round but good to have the option.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Plenty of adapters in that vain already exist for Switch (I have the one 8bitdo made, it's alright after you update the firmware) but I think this is a first for the PS4.

Though why the fuck would I use Joy-Cons and not like, an Xbox controller

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is by the same people that make those Brook Converters right? Never personally used one but I only heard positive things about them.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Magic NS if I need to use a stick on Switch.

I... Personally can't think of a reason to use JoyCons in my PS4, but more power to people that need to.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
there's been converters like these for years already.
i got a Magic-NS to use several controllers on Switch like DS4, XB1 and Wii U controllers.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
This already exists; It's called Magic-NS... and it's $20 on Amazon. It supports all Bluetooth controllers, too. Tho you can't use it on PS4. But you can the Switch, PC, and the PS3 which is why I bought it. So much better playing the PS3 with the Dualshock 4 with full functionality (something the PS3 lacks natively).

If you specifically want to use it on PS4, they make a version called Magic-S, which is $10 more.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
It seems a single adapter would allow for multiple controllers at the same time.
If I'm not mistaken, all current adapters (Mayflash, 8bitdo, etc.) only allow a single PS4 controller.
This is the only reason why I've not invested in one of these adapters yet, so hopefully this product will provide what I'm looking for, since I have about 3 PS4 controllers and do not want to purchase additional joycons.

Jan 11, 2018
Already have magic ns i think it is called that allows to use ps3/4 pads on switch(wireless too), works quite well. Not interested the other way round but good to have the option.
The Magic-NS is well known, but Mayflash also has a product that does Switch to PS4 called the Magic-S

Though why the fuck would I use Joy-Cons and not like, an Xbox controller
More power to you, I think Joy-Con can be a good controller for laid back play (As in, if you don't use the grip and just use them separately). Plus different people have different tastes. I for one cannot stand the Dualshock (All models), since I think their layout only makes them good for 2D games like platformers and fighting games, and yet the D-Pad is god awful, so I welcome anything that lets me use a Switch Pro-Con, XB1 Controller, 8bitdo SN30 Pro or 8bitdo M30 on the PS4. (And the Magic-NS is compatible with all of these)

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of curious about that Magic-NS. Does it work with every game, or does it just emulate the pro controller meaning it'll only work with pro controller games?

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I could use the switch Pro Controller with PS4. Probably on board just for that.

Jan 11, 2018
I'm kind of curious about that Magic-NS. Does it work with every game, or does it just emulate the pro controller meaning it'll only work with pro controller games?
Nah, it's all Pro Controller. Ain't no controller that's going to stop Game Freak from forcing you to use the Pokéball Plus and go through motion controlled-QTEs in Let's Go...

But to be fair, outside of Let's Go, the only games who force you to use Joy-Con do because they're using Joy-Con specific features or the use of said features would be inconvenient using the Pro-Con (Like Mario Party, 1-2 Switch and Labo)

Brook converters are the top-of-the-line converters with minimal input lag.
From my own personal testing, the Magic-S and Magic-NS are 100% equivalent input lag-wise to Brook's current offerings

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This already exists; It's called Magic-NS... and it's $20 on Amazon. It supports all Bluetooth controllers, too. Tho you can't use it on PS4. But you can the Switch, PC, and the PS3 which is why I bought it. So much better playing the PS3 with the Dualshock 4 with full functionality (something the PS3 lacks natively).

If you specifically want to use it on PS4, they make a version called Magic-S, which is $10 more.
But Brook's converters have low enough input lag to be considered legal at fighting game tournaments.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's all Pro Controller. Ain't no controller that's going to stop Game Freak from forcing you to use the Pokéball Plus and go through motion controlled-QTEs in Let's Go...

But to be fair, outside of Let's Go, the only games who force you to use Joy-Con do because they're using Joy-Con specific features or the use of said features would be inconvenient using the Pro-Con (Like Mario Party, 1-2 Switch and Labo)
The World Ends With You too, that uses it as a pointer.

It's super frustrating for me as I get serious hand cramp when I have to use single joycons because of how tiny/unergonomic they are and the fact I suffer from some joint pain anyway. So I'm kind of relegated to handheld mode whether I want to or not.

I dunno I figured it maybe would have been possible since some controllers do support motion controls in some form. Admittedly it's probably a push for a device like this which you can't really program. Something like the ChronusMax/Titan One or something could surely work at some point where you could program your own controls to sort these kind of issues out.

I'd literally use any other controller than a single joycon. Any.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Finally, what everyone has been waiting for: The ability to use Joy Cons on the PS4.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
TBH I stopped using my Magic NS (except for times where I need just another controller) because I got used to holding a Joy-Con (with the included strap attachment) in each hand. Feels good enough not to bother syncing up one of my DualShocks.

At the beginning I thought I could never get used to the tiny Joy-Cons.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
Ah excellent. I'll be able to use my Wii Tatsunoko vs Capcom stick for PS4 fighting games; I'm tired of lugging the TE2+ to tournaments.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017

It works with every game.

I did discover recently that it won't work with my PS3 in Safe Mode (!). While this is a very specific problem, it was a major headache because I don't actually own a Dualshock 3, and couldn't get out of Safe Mode.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
a bit off topic, but i always wondered about something similar

being able to use my Xbox one S controller on my ps4, ideally where the audio and mic still works with headset

that or a ps4 like a xbox controller, thats not too expensive...

Matarick

Nov 11, 2017
Wow! I wouldn't be so thirsty for a Dekavita anymore. Just add a mounting solution for the Joycons to a 7 inch screen, use the adapter, and I can have a small screen portable experience that is superior to Vita remote play since Destiny 2 refuses to map it's functions on the rear dpad. Yes I even have an Xperia Zx2 which I am not satisfied with its remote play (uses the secondary account to use the Dualshock 4 on the ps4). Brook hasn't let me down and they always update their firmware when contacting customer service.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why would anyone want to use a Switch controller on a PS4 (unless you need a 2nd controller and you don't have one) but I'll be damned if I say I'm not in dire need of a controller with a proper Dpad for Switch. And right now the best first party controller with the best Dpad it's a DualShock 4.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

How does the DS4 work with the Switch? Even the rumble works?

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Neat, Brook is good shit

I have the Magic NS and the Brook ps3/ps4 to switch converter and the Brook has less input lag (note: only measured by my feels, no instrument used). But the Magic NS supports way more controllers and it's not like the input lag is bad or anything.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
The Joycons an excellent split controller for laid back play.

Shame about the god-awful drifting issue that hasn't apparently affected Nintendo enough to stop them charging ÂŁ70 for the things. Seriously, I thought it was overblown but it's happened with two of mine now. Utterly crap.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Those things always have input lag sadly :/
Given this looks to be a Brook adapter, not a chance.

Same with comparing any native wireless controller to a wired one (unless for some reason you're Sony). All comes down to preference.
Honestly, this is because of the polling rate on the original DS4 (Sony has their wireless polling rate changed from the usual) and supposedly lack of passing USB audio through the controller. The v2 fixed them to be the same.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rumble works and it has multiple levels of intensity (but tbh it never feels quite right imo so I normally just turn it off) and motion controls also work.
And how's the lag? I'm not a competitive gamer, I only care about lag if it's noticeable so I'm okay ignore it's a little slower but if you tell me it feels exactly as if you'd be using a Switch Pro instead of the DS4 I'd be over the moon.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And how's the lag? I'm not a competitive gamer, I only care about lag if it's noticeable so I'm okay ignore it's a little slower but if you tell me it feels exactly as if you'd be using a Switch Pro instead of the DS4 I'd be over the moon.
According to some tests I seen it does introduce some lag in comparison to a Switch Pro controller but for me the only time I really felt it was when I tried it with the Mega Man X Collection, though even the normal Switch controller's input delay throws me off because of the muscle memory I have on those games.

But personally playing modern 2d games the lag was basically unnoticeable, there's this nicely informative by Lon Seidman that compares it's functionality against 8bitdo's adapter that goes a bit into it:

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Might get it to use WiiU pro on PS4, everyone always talks about the left Joycons drift but it's actually my DS4 that has the problem and it's quite shitty.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Besides legacy controller support I have NEVER had the urge to play a console with out it's intended controller.

edit: Fight sticks looks like a good use for this though ... assuming there's not a ton of lag

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Only benefit i can see with this is using fighting sticks for switch (considering the small amount that does exist for all others,there's a more preferred way to connect a PS4 to switch anyway via the 8bitdo wireless adapters. Maybe if you're a stickler for wired connections then this would suffice.

Jan 11, 2018
The World Ends With You too, that uses it as a pointer.
Right, I forgot TWEWY forces you to use the Joy-Con. I thought you could use the Pro-Con to point like in Captain Toad.

Which, granted, still forces you to use a controller that has a gyro, like the Joy-Con, Pro-Con, Dualshock 4 or 8bitdo's SN30 Pro... Or an XB1 controller combined with Brook's XOne adapter/battery pack