• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
kula-walk.gif

Hey, you asked :p Really don't see the problem with her belt buckle honestly.

TBF I think the only one who's really shown age is MAYBE Terry (and Rock if we assume him in XIV as DLC is properly considered canon), everyone else is in that Pokemon Anime-like Time Freeze. Sakurai pokes fun at this in his Terry video. KoF/AoF/FF has some really cool lore but their interpretation of time is a mess.
Pretty sure the poster was referring to Kula's Angel themed outfit from SNK Heroines. The one with the cowboy boots that are too big and would just fall off of her if she tried to walk. It was the pic in the post the user was responding to.

And yeah, with Kyo I was talking about his normal form to his NESTS form, which does seem somewhat older, but by a few years at best. Iori's DLC look in XIII also looks slightly older, but it might just be the outfit.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does SNK not have to sign off on this kind of stuff first? Like holy shit.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why am I getting flashbacks to the time Capcom realized what Malibu comics was doing with Street Fighter...
street-fighter-malibu-comics-bcd4779e-d6fc-4d73-8dcd-5847c04451b-resize-750.jpeg

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It feels more like she's 18 when it's convenient, but somehow doesn't look a day older than when she was first introduced.

I think Kula is generally drawn as older looking now compared to her debut. The issue is that afterwards she has gotten a very childish personality. In fact, more childish than during her debut, where she was basically this mysterious living weapon, while now they push her as trying to live the life that she lost initially, which seems to mean being very childish.

Her sprite was fairly small originally and even in artwork she also was portrayed as small compared to other characters, often paired up with other characters who are considered "children".

While nowadays she's portrayed in the same generic range of other "young female" characters like Yuri (who was supposed to be 20 years old back in KoF94) and Athena (who was 17 in 94 and then a generic 18 years old afterwards).

That's not to say you don't get some art where she does look very young though, but that goes for any of those other "cute" female characters too.

Jan 11, 2018
I think Kula is generally drawn as older looking now compared to her debut. The issue is that afterwards she has gotten a very childish personality. In fact, more childish than during her debut, where she was basically this mysterious living weapon, while now they push her as trying to live the life that she lost initially, which seems to mean being very childish.

Infantilisation of female characters is another disgusting trope the world could do without for sure.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

Her sprite was fairly small originally and even in artwork she also was portrayed as small compared to other characters, often paired up with other characters who are considered "children".

While nowadays she's portrayed in the same generic range of other "young female" characters like Yuri (who was supposed to be 20 years old back in KoF94) and Athena (who was 17 in 94 and then a generic 18 years old afterwards).

That's not to say you don't get some art where she does look very young though, but that goes for any of those other "cute" female characters too.
Not that portraying her as smaller ever made much sense, given her actually being one of the tallest female characters in KoF (comparing to male characters, she's also slightly taller than Nameless, who's the same height as K9999 was before he got erased from the series and company history).

Oct 27, 2017

I'm convinced that a lot of artists tend to just draw a vaguely adult-ish woman and then arbitrarily decide "oh, she's a teen".

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good god this design is horrible. I can't stop laughing at the boots. Like how does she even walk around in those things lol. Belt buckle on her shirt. lol

Just for clarification, that's Kula wearing a different characters (Angel) costume. Kula normally looks like this

latest
kula-kof14-stance.gif

(Mind you, that isn't a defense of Angels costume, or them putting Kula in it, or anything like that.)

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Just for clarification, that's Kula wearing a different characters (Angel) costume. Kula normally looks like this

latest
kula-kof14-stance.gif

(Mind you, that isn't a defense of Angels costume, or them putting Kula in it, or anything like that.)
Her XIII sprite was such a massive improvement over her old one, and if anything I'd say resulted in her being the only female cast member who turned out well in that game (I maintain that the rest looked terrible following the HD art overhaul, the difference apparently being that Nona had nothing to do with the sprites for the K' team specifically).

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
This is also a good reminder of how charmless and sterile KOF15's style was compared to prior games. I hope for the next game they overhaul they completely overhaul the look.
I mean, they spent 5-6? years on XII-XIII and opted to not take as long for XIV to SamSho, let's hope they got used to the engine on the verge of the gen jump.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is also a good reminder of how charmless and sterile KOF15's art style was compared to prior games. I hope for the next game they completely overhaul the look.
I mean, they spent 5-6? years on XII-XIII and opted to not take as long for XIV to SamSho, let's hope they got used to the engine on the verge of the gen jump.

Not to mention the budget for 14 was much smaller. It was their first game after coming back from the brink.

h0mebas3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is all a misunderstanding. Terry is an avid athlete and probably played football. In football, you typically smack someone on the butt when you greet them or they make a great play. He was probably thinking "Hey, they are eating ramen, way to go!" and then gave them a celebratory butt slap. Not so unusual.

I was in Walmart last week getting some eggs and felt a firm slap on my butt. Turned around it was an old high school teammate I hadn't seen in years. I slapped his butt, we talked about the PS5, and then I told him I would see him later. We gave each other goodbye butt slaps and that was it. Nobody in Walmart thought it weird. Just saying, not so unusual.

OP
OP
Maligna

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Maybe this is all a misunderstanding. Terry is an avid athlete and probably played football. In football, you typically smack someone on the butt when you greet them or they make a great play. He was probably thinking "Hey, they are eating ramen, way to go!" and then gave them a celebratory butt slap. Not so unusual.

I was in Walmart last week getting some eggs and felt a firm slap on my butt. Turned around it was an old high school teammate I hadn't seen in years. I slapped his butt, we talked about the PS5, and then I told him I would see him later. We gave each other goodbye butt slaps and that was it. Nobody in Walmart thought it weird. Just saying, not so unusual.

.... sports people are weird. :P

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Or probably they had mosquitoes on their butts. Not so unusual.

h0mebas3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or probably they had mosquitoes on their butts. Not so unusual.

I would agree. I smacked someone's butt last week. He stood up, was about to hit me and I smiled and politely said "mosquito was down there" he apologized, shook my hand, and bought me an ice cream. Not so unusual.