• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to play Control. Started it and only played for like an hour. I'll do it after I'm done with Ghost of Tsushima.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the season pass when it first came out, but christ it's been so long I forgot about it entirely.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
See, I didn't even realize he played Dr. Casper Darling which shows how distinct and different that character is from Alan Wake, so it won't be weird at all.

Yeah it's a little weird because Alan Wake was played by another actor that was in the live action scenes in that game, Ilkka Villi, but he was voiced by Matthew Porretta, the guy who plays the live action role of Dr. Casper Darling in Control. So it's like a Darth Vader scenario in that there's multiple actors who portray different aspects of Alan Wake.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I've been holding out for this to come to Steam...so hopefully it drops on Steam on the 27th along with both DLCs in a bundle

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
See, I didn't even realize he played Dr. Casper Darling which shows how distinct and different that character is from Alan Wake, so it won't be weird at all.
Yeah, figured he has the range to pull off very different characters.
Loved Control, didn't really like Alan Wake but I should replay it sometime (I didn't play it in the best conditions back in the day).

I'll probably replay Control on next gen consoles anyway.
For what it's worth, I really enjoyed Quantum Break. Not as much as Alan Wake but stringing together the time powers can be very satisfying and the story was awesome. If you appreciate a good time travel story, this game is for you.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
you do not! but it helps :D
You probably don't have to, but I imagine it'll help for context and Easter eggs
Doubtful, I imagine they have good amount of exposition and lore dump about events of Alan Wake.
You probably don't have to, but I imagine it'll help for context and Easter eggs
Well I already own it so I might as well lol thanks!

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
Please please please let this be a sign that our boy Alan is finally going to get his sequel! Please Remedy!!
Honestly I'm kind of seeing it as a sign towards the opposite. They know fans want more Alan Wake, but there's not enough demand in the industry to warrant a full blown sequel and the IP sales didnt exactly set the world on fire. They've established a much more acclaimed IP in Control with all of the awards it's won and good press it's gotten so they'd be kind of foolish not to continue forward with it from a business point of view, especially over Alan Wake. Including him in the DLC is a fan service and homage but I really cant see there being a full blown sequel moving forward. I'd love to be wrong as Alan Wake is one of my favourite games of all time and I'd be ecstatic if it were to happen, but it seems like a pipe dream. Still, some AW is better than no AW :)

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I am really sad how no one seems to have gotten that this is Alan Wake.
Also shows that they didn't play Control.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Story fell flat on its face and the DLC doesn't seem to be trying to help it stick the landing, so I will pass even though it's cool that they are bringing AW back.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I finally played Alan Wake when it came to Gamepass, then immediately played Control, so I'm super pumped for this DLC!

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
EexVy4RXkAAHjKu

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Honestly I'm kind of seeing it as a sign towards the opposite. They know fans want more Alan Wake, but there's not enough demand in the industry to warrant a full blown sequel and the IP sales didnt exactly set the world on fire. They've established a much more acclaimed IP in Control with all of the awards it's won and good press it's gotten so they'd be kind of foolish not to continue forward with it from a business point of view, especially over Alan Wake. Including him in the DLC is a fan service and homage but I really cant see there being a full blown sequel moving forward. I'd love to be wrong as Alan Wake is one of my favourite games of all time and I'd be ecstatic if it were to happen, but it seems like a pipe dream. Still, some AW is better than no AW :)

Yeah, this makes sense. On the other hand, it could still signal that there's renewed interest in the IP from the studio and the expansion is being used to generate excitement among fans and the press. They know full well that including Alan Wake in a DLC for Control is going to raise all kinds of questions among both fans and the press, and I imagine studios would try to avoid disappointment for fans altogether if they didn't have any long term plans for the AW IP.

Maybe given a smaller budget (or a large one with a publisher that is willing to risk it), I think an Alan Wake sequel could be a perfectly viable step for Remedy depending on what they do with it and how it is marketed. Still, no matter what their plans are - I agree, some AW is definitely better than no AW (and more Remedy is always a good thing, too!)

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this makes sense. On the other hand, it could still signal that there's renewed interest in the IP from the studio and the expansion is being used to generate excitement among fans and the press. They know full well that including Alan Wake in a DLC for Control is going to raise all kinds of questions among both fans and the press, and I imagine studios would try to avoid disappointment for fans altogether if they didn't have any long term plans for the AW IP.

Maybe given a smaller budget (or a large one with a publisher that is willing to risk it), I think an Alan Wake sequel could be a perfectly viable step for Remedy depending on what they do with it and how it is marketed. Still, no matter what their plans are - I agree, some AW is definitely better than no AW (and more Remedy is always a good thing, too!)

Though, they can now leverage Control for a new AW game if they want to. And they don't necessarily need to call it Alan Wake 2.

"Alan Wake: Crafty Title Here (Part of the Control Universe)"

Use this DLC to essentially recap AW, introduce him, and slightly push it forward. It could work.

Oct 30, 2017
Considering how Bright Falls is considered an AWE and Alan Wake himself a possible patrautilitarian, this seems like a fantastic expansion and possible setup for bringing Alan Wake back.

ScrewyAurum

Nov 3, 2017
I guess its safe to assume steam launch to be the 27th as well, considering that will be exactly 1 year after egs launch as well.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, I couldn't get into Control, but this really makes me want to give it another try.
Alan Wake is hype as hell.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Was it American Nightmare or one of the AW DLCs that went like totally off the rails visually in the best way possible? I want to replay a bit of it but I can't remember which.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God damnit. Now I'm going to have to force myself to finish Control just to play this. Alan Wake is my favorite of the 3.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
This perfect opportunity for a title like: "Alan Wake is back" or "Alan Wake on PS4".

Trailer looked pretty good. I am in.

Oct 25, 2017
OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Nov 28, 2017
Game pass when? Also does this game support rtx on pc yet

They were about to go on GamePass some months ago, but IIRC Phil (I'm thinking he forgot that it wasn't officially announced as of yet, at that time) accidentally spilled the beans in an interview (podcast? don't remember exactly) that it's coming to GamePass, and they (the publisher, not Remedy) decided to pull the GamePass deal at the last moment as they feared it (it = the "coming to GamePass" announcement or leak which will obviously make the impulse purchase consumers hold off on their purchase, not GamePass deals in general, as we have seen with multiple indie and AAA titles that GamePass has increased the sales momentum, and few evidences of slowing down. I think Phil even said this to be the case) would impact sales because Remedy titles usually have a strong Xbox market. They went with PS Now instead. I think it will come to GP eventually, maybe some months after the next gen launch (think summer 2021).

As for RTX, it's one of the BEST implementations of the tech, in ANY title till date. The icing on the cake here is DLSS 2.0, and how close the IQ is (with RTX ON and acceptable performance), compared to a natively rendered image and it's relative performance with RTX. It's, inarguably, the best here as well and is the poster child of DLSS 2.0 (with Death Stranding following up).

Take a look at this:

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
They were about to go on GamePass some months ago, but IIRC Phil (I'm thinking he forgot that it wasn't officially announced as of yet, at that time) accidentally spilled the beans in an interview (podcast? don't remember exactly) that it's coming to GamePass, and they (the publisher, not Remedy) decided to pull the GamePass deal at the last moment as they feared it (it = the "coming to GamePass" announcement or leak which will obviously make the impulse purchase consumers hold off on their purchase, not GamePass deals in general, as we have seen with multiple indie and AAA titles that GamePass has increased the sales momentum, and few evidences of slowing down. I think Phil even said this to be the case) would impact sales because Remedy titles usually have a strong Xbox market. They went with PS Now instead. I think it will come to GP eventually, maybe some months after the next gen launch (think summer 2021).

As for RTX, it's one of the BEST implementations of the tech, in ANY title till date. The icing on the cake here is DLSS 2.0, and how close the IQ is (with RTX ON and acceptable performance), compared to a natively rendered image and it's relative performance with RTX. It's, inarguably, the best here as well and is the poster child of DLSS 2.0 (with Death Stranding following up).

Take a look at this:

Think i could hit 60 fps with it - i79700k/rtx 2080 super