• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know you could duck in Mike Tyson's Punch Out (by pressing down twice) for about 20 years.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I got about 50 hours into Witcher 3 on PS4 before I figured out I could swipe up on the touch pad to access the map quickly. I had spent the first 50 hours laboriously opening the menu and switching to the map.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Hmm... There's lots of mechanics I didn't know about until very far along in the game that I felt like a fool for not realizing, but I don't think I can beat not knowing for 20 years. :O

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Spider Man 2018, tricks while swinging. I learned about it a great number of hours into the game.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
In Valkyrie Profile 2 I never leveled up my disposable Einherjar and instead focused on the main characters. Then at one point near the end of the game you're basically left with mostly disposable ones so I was forced to level some of them up. Then I tried releasing one of them (basically letting them go after they reach their level cap) and it gave me a shit ton of items to permanently buff my regular characters. Basically I missed a lot of powerups that would've helped a lot more than just using the same characters over and over.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
While I was playing Xenoblade for the first time on the Wii, I didn't know how to quick travel for ages. Felt like an idiot once I learned.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that posture regenerates faster when you're blocking in Sekiro. I didn't realise that until just before reaching the
Strawman elevator
It's literally the other way around in all the other Souls games and I don't know if I missed something in the tutorials in Sekiro but I imagine that made my run so much harder because I was running around like a madman to regenerate my posture instead of blocking.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

I felt like this needed to be posted here.

Personally, i was stuck in a level of Sackboy because i wasn't aware that those hover boots i got also allowed me to SHOOT FUCKING ENERGY PROJECTILES FROM MY FIST.

Oct 30, 2017
In Ghosts of Tsushima, I didn't realize until the last five hours that there's an option to actually make charm loadouts for your armor sets. So you can have charm combinations for different situations. It's an option within the gameplay options you have to enable.

I was a little annoyed that was not the default.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
In Ghosts of Tsushima, I didn't realize until the last five hours that there's an option to actually make charm loadouts for your armor sets. So you can have charm combinations for different situations. It's an option within the gameplay options you have to enable.

That was added in a later patch, I believe. You couldn't do that at launch. So there's a good chance it wasn't there based on when you played it.

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017

This feature was not in the game at launch, it was added in a later patch. So, depending on when you played it, it might not have been in the game at all when you started!

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Sonic Advance/Sonic Rush series, you can use the homing attack. People harshly criticize Sonic 4 (rightfully so) but a unfair judgement is that it introduced the homing attack in 2D Sonic, when in actuality it's been there since Sonic Advance 1. If you play as Sonic in the advance or rush games, you can do the homing attack by pressing one of the shoulder buttons when near an enemy and Sonic will do a homing attack. It's bit clunky, but it's there and I didn't realize was thing until I read the instructions booklet.

joghia

Nov 3, 2017
Golden Sun GBA, didn't know you could run lol. Got through the whole game walking...until the last dungeon where you could not reach the last area without running across quicksand waterfalls.

Also, Overcooked. 3 starred the whole first game with my wife without knowing you could do the little boost. Some levels were craaaazy hard to get 3 stars because we were so slow moving around the maps lol.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I played trough Valkyria Chronicles and didn't know you can save mid way to the mission (I noticed this when playing DLC). Would have saved countless hours as if I failed I always needed to start the mission from the very beginning.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
I didn't know there was a statue in botw that lets your swap your heart & stamina stats until like a week ago

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
I got the platinum from Demon's Souls without knowing that you could zoom the aim of the bow with up and down on the d-pad.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Been playing Diablo 3 on and off throughout the years ever since release. I only looked up how to do the numlock trick about a month ago. Game changer!

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
I got about 50 hours into Witcher 3 on PS4 before I figured out I could swipe up on the touch pad to access the map quickly. I had spent the first 50 hours laboriously opening the menu and switching to the map.
Long press of the view (select) button does this as well on Xbox for those that don't know.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After 12,13 hours of playing Hades, I found out that you can unlock much more abilities in mirror with keys.

Astrates

Sep 13, 2020

I just finished it after starting on PS5 and I didn't know that.

Damn it

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017

Was that added in a patch? Cause when I played it during launch, there was no load out option.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you don't re-map the Dash button in Mega Man X to the right trigger (R), you're doing it wrong.

Makes the game SO much easier to play.

ebugg

Nov 3, 2018
in grandia 2 i didnt know mana eggs were a thing until about 3/4 through the game. until then i was just using regular and special attacks.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Beat Garland in Final Fantasy 1 before I realized you could equip weapons. That was a lot of grinding imps.

Ashgarth

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy VIII

I never knew the "press R1 while attacking with Squall" thing way back when I played it, I only saw it when I played the remaster recently.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
I didn't know heavy attack was on R-Trigger in Assassin's Creed Valhalla until after I finished the main story. Whoops.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I never knew that Fallout 3 had fast traveling till i completed about 80% of the game. I walked everywhere before that.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Didn't know there was a flashlight in Fallout 4 until a loading screen told me about it around 40 hours in. Also didn't know Oblivion had fast travel until I played Skyrim and someone compared fast travel in the two games. Happens to me a lot in Bethesda games, I miss some little QOL thing and just learn to play without it. I didn't know Morrowind had a main quest until I'd sunk over 100 hours into the game.

Also playing through the Yakuza Kiwami games, didn't know there was a map until either close to the end of Kiwami or a few hours into Kiwami 2. I'd spent the first game just kind of memorizing the street layout and landmarks, the map makes things a lot easier I'll tell you what.

I never knew that Fallout 3 had fast traveling till i reached about 80% into the game. I walked everywhere before that.

Damn it. Bethesda games, every time. I never knew Fallout 3 had fast travel until right now.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Played all the Souls games (3 of them to the Platinum) and still don't know how to drop off a ladder. I could probably Google it and find out, but I'm too stubborn/don't care. 1 day I'll figure it out.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I learned that I can update my character stats in Control at the save points. I wasn't super far in but I didn't more than enough hard battles with no health upgrades before I noticed the menu for it. I figured it would have been an in your face tutorial and that I just didn't reach the story beat yet.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gravity Boots in Symphony of the Night. I just thought they made your jump height slightly higher, had no idea for the longest time you could press Down-to-Up and jump to ROCKET straight up.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
My girlfriend and I somehow played through almost all of the horde levels in overcooked 2 without knowing that you could fix barriers. We got to the last level and just couldn't beat it. We looked up a video to see what strategies people recommended and I saw someone repairing one of the barriers. After that we beat the final level in one try.

FaultLineBlues

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2020
The first time I played through Bioshock Infinite I'm pretty sure I didn't buy a single vigor or weapon upgrade.

Oct 27, 2017
I was at O&S already when i noticed my character could run in Dark Souls.
Oh my god.

When I had to review the DaS remaster for PS4 I found out my joystick was busted because I could only run for a second or two before stopping. It was beyond infuriating. I have no idea how you got that far by walking the whole time. Were you even enjoying the game?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I played FPS games (DOOM, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, etc) on PC in the mid-late 1990s for maybe 5-6 years using only the arrow keys with my right hand for movement. It wasn't until I started playing Counter-Strike in university in 2001 that I learned about WASD and using the mouse to aim.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Oh my god.

When I had to review the DaS remaster for PS4 I found out my joystick was busted because I could only run for a second or two before stopping. It was beyond infuriating. I have no idea how you got that far by walking the whole time. Were you even enjoying the game?

Yeah, i was loving it from the start actually. I always walk as slow as possible to observe everything without getting in the aggro of multiple enemies, so it was fitting my play style.

I had to learn how to run on O&S because it's really really hard to defeat them without running from one side to another, atleast alone.

The best part is that i got stuck on them for a week, and then i was showing the game to my friend, that begun a new save file. Turns out there's a tutorial sign explaining how to run in the first corridor that i missed somehow. Thanks to him i learned how to run, which was essential to defeat O&S haha

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realise there was bullet-time in Max Payne till around the Finito Brothers, which is really fucking embarrassing.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I played a TON of Destiny this year without realizing I could swap my subclass and powers etc. It had been so long that I thought it was something I chose at the start of the game and was stuck with until I created a new character.

I also didn't realize 1) that there was an item vault and 2) that yellow items were special, so I was disassembling all the yellows I was carrying to free up space to pick up purples and blues. Ugh.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Spider Man 2018, tricks while swinging. I learned about it a great number of hours into the game.
Wasn't it part of the in-game tutorial at one point? Like the tutorial prompts that appear on screens early in the game. šŸ¤”
I never knew that Fallout 3 had fast traveling till i completed about 80% of the game. I walked everywhere before that.
You just took the scenic route. šŸ˜‚