• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is this the best Gaming moment/set-piece/sequence of this gen?

• Yes, nothing like it!

Votes: 99 20.0%
  • Nah, Titanfall 2 & others did it better

Votes: 60 12.1%
  • Definitely up there

Votes: 199 40.1%
  • Not even close

Votes: 138 27.8%

• Total voters

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Have to be honest and say after reading hyperbolic statements like the op on here and Twitter, the whole section was a bit of a let down. It was good, but come on

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
It was excellent, but you may be spoiling by linking a video to the whole thing instead of just the song.

It's kind of a big hero moment in the story.

also feelin bad for all the people in this thread trying to downplay the game

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome moment,they put so much love in this game.
A shame you can't use your headphones outside of that area though.
Remedy keeps fighting the good fight for single player gaming.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I recently finished Control and I just couldn't get this sequence out of my mind, the art direction/level design that went into this is simply sublime. I had a huge grin on my face playing this sequence. Weirdly, when I tried to replay the entire ashtray maze, it skips me to the end. The only other mission that gave me this kind of amazement was the Titanfall 2 Campaign. Not everything is amazing though,I didnt really feel the gunplay to be honest.

The best part was Jesse saying 'That was awesome
'

After listening to Jesse, I was like I see what you did there Remedy, absolutely love it when Developers have fun ;)

Especially listening to 'Old Guards of Asgard -Take Control' during the whole sequence was completely unexpected but cool.

Era, how was your experience playing this sequence in particular?

Holy shit I totally missed out on this game. Looks to be in the same universe as Alan Wake given The Old Gods of Asgard are in it!
Trippy as fuck. Thread just sold me on it.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was okay at first but not as amazing as everyone hyped it up to me... But as I've had time to reflect on it, I dig it more and more.

When I first played it, I missed the part at the beginning when Jesse mentions it's a song from the Old Gods of Asgard, the band from Alan Wake. I just assumed that it was a fun new song from Poets of the Fall, which is expected to in a Remedy Game. But then when the song pops up at the end of the sequence as a collectible and lists it as a song from the Old Gods, I was like, "OMG WTF."

Then I later started looking into the lyrics of the song and realized it was telling the events of Control, meaning the Lake that the Old Gods drank their moonshine from was giving them visions of what would happen with Control, giving yet ANOTHER direct connection with Alan Wake. This made the Ash Tray maze even cooler, and I wish the sequence had subtitles for the lyrics so I could have made that discovery during the actual in-game event instead of after.

So yeah, it's a pretty cool moment!

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
That was such an epic and memorable sequence. And the music was pretty kick ass too!

TAKE

CONTROL

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018
I'm with you op. I definitely think this is a point that can be argued. It's such a special and well crafted moment. And it has heart to it. It feels Remedy put everything they got into that sequence.

This one sequence defines Remedy, the studio. That world building, level design, art direction, personality & music, again looking at the responses, definitely mixed for a few people but that also sums up Remedy.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The worst part about Control is that you can't just easily replay this section, especially when it makes complete sense to be able to.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
This one sequence defines Remedy, the studio. That world building, level design, art direction, personality & music, again looking at the responses, definitely mixed for a few people but that also sums up Remedy.

Remedy owns. It seems they really click with their specific, tiny niche. I love everything they make. This is GOTY for me, so you're not alone, friend.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a close call with the Clockwork Mansion from Dishonored 2, but I prefer the Ashtray Maze.

Special mention to Titanfall 2 but I wasn't as wowed by that as many were personally, despite it being very well done.

Control is peak Remedy. It has some flaws in combat but I every other component is so beautifully realized and well designed.

That 4/10 review that said it had no atmosphere is super fucking laughable.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018
The worst part about Control is that you can't just easily replay this section, especially when it makes complete sense to be able to.

Try this: Go to select mission and choose the mission Polaris. Then you can teleport back to ashtray maze and do this part as much as you want.

Last edited:

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Someone hasn't played Dishonored 2 or Titanfall 2, it seems...still one of the few standout moments in Control, I'll give you that.
This seems likely. Dishonored 2 showed similar visuals, but in a fully interactive immersive sim environment. The transformations were meticulously presented as being the result of mechanical contraptions, which felt more awe inspiring than the magical effects in Control. The only win for Control here, according to the rules set by the original poster, is that its level constituted a "set piece", which the corresponding level in Dishonored 2 arguably did not.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if it's the best of the generation but definitely hard to top for 2019.

It's also super cathartic because it's the first time in the game you're really given the chance to use your full suite of maxed abilities in an extended battle scenario. It's that "oh, I'm way powerful now" moment.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, what coincidental timing! I just finished this section of the game about half an hour ago, maybe less. Jesse is right, that was freaking awesome. Easily my favorite part of the game so far and "Old Gods of Asgard - Take Control" really helped. I was so pumped the entire time! The combat scenarios were pretty fun too and it helped that I've started to use Levitate a lot more.

I also love the surreal imagery Control has had throughout the entire game and this was also easily the best of that for me. I was more than happy with the beginning of the maze where the walls were shifting a bit to guide me to where I go. That part was already cool and to my liking, but then it started going crazy and having these infinitely tall hallways and sideway rooms. So damn awesome. It reminded me of Twin Peaks and The God Complex, one of my favorite episodes from Doctor Who, as well as Inception. A bunch of things I really like.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It was up there but I mean, what are the other candidates?

There are definitely some great moments in games like Nier Automata.

Whisper of the Worm dungeon in Destiny 2 is also up there.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
The Finnish Tango build up to the Ashtray Maze should not be forgotten. That atmospheric lift ride to Nowhere followed by the trippy overlaid imagery of the Twin Peaks style treeline and forest juxtaposed against the wacky Ashtray Maze sequence, taken together, is like 100% pure Remedy extract.

D-Soo

Nov 1, 2017
I really really loved this moment but can we talk about

The moment where you realize how jacked Darling is?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It was up there but I mean, what are the other candidates?

There are definitely some great moments in games like Nier Automata.

Whisper of the Worm dungeon in Destiny 2 is also up there.
That's what I'm thinking. I need to finish Nier but outside of that? A singular moment where everything clicks and you're just in awe taking everything back? Yea this probably is my favorite gaming moment this generation.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's neat - but the song starts off just as painfully bad as the credits song from Wolfenstein 2. Though the song does become slightly more enjoyable, unlike the Wolfenstein 2 song heh.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You remove the wall transitions and the inception hotel stuff, and it's regular TPS level design.
"Guys just remove the things that make it special and it's not that special."

Such wisdom. I bet if you remove the psychic powers and flight and make Control much more standard as an experience then it would play like a regular TPS too. 😱

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I was really excited about it, but mainly because it's accompanied by a new Poets of the Fall track, which is secretly the main reason why I buy Remedy games.