• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
So let me guess this straight.

-Well known studio with multiple classics
-Third-Person shooter with superpowers
-Great graphics, an RTX showcase
-Great reviews and good WoM
-Multiplatform
-Gets nominated almost everywhere for GOTY and even win wins it on one of the most popular gaming sites.

Sells like 400k copies. What is wrong with this industry?
Heh yeah, it didn't exactly fly of the shelves at launch. But Remedy CEO Tero Virtala seemed rather positive recently, saying that the sales are steady. It wasn't crazy expensive game to make (30 million), so it's a success even with bit lower sales. The game will have legs, especially if it keeps getting these wins and noms.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Heh yeah, it didn't exactly fly of the shelves at launch. But Remedy CEO Tero Virtala seemed rather positive recently, saying that the sales are steady. It wasn't crazy expensive game to make (30 million), so it's a success even with bit lower sales. The game will have legs, especially if it keeps getting these wins and noms.

Yes I have seen that. I hope it will have legs too but in reality the game made 18 mil € revenue which is like 300k copies at full price. It's far from beaking even. It should be at a million at least.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

-Multiplatform
-Gets nominated almost everywhere for GOTY and even win wins it on one of the most popular gaming sites.

I can't speak for anyone else but myself, but it came out when Astral Chain did and I chose Astral over Control. Then the crazy Sept-Nov games all came out and I was buying a new game every week. Now that I'm finally cooling down on everything, I feel like I might as well wait for it to show up on game pass or something some day. Control just came out at a really bad time for me.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I have seen that. I hope it will have legs too but in reality the game made 18 mil € revenue which is like 300k copies at full price. It's far from beaking even. It should be at a million at least.

It got a lot of extra money from the epic deal. They are probably break even because of that.

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hard time finishing Control. It's a game a desperately wish I was enjoying more because a lot of it is really good. I'm through mission 6 and the thing that is holding it back for me is the main story. I'm finding anything having to do with Jesse to be extremely boring. I don't find her to be an interesting character, and the story around her is bland for the most part. The gameplay is decent enough, and the powers are fun to use. I also enjoy the setting overall, especially the more trippy stuff. So far the stand out part of the game is the Dr. Yoshimi side content, which is incredible. There are other interesting side content too that I find funny, entertaining, and well written, which makes me wonder why I find Jesse's stuff to be so bad? I'm hoping to finish the game, but it's kind of shelved right now as I play through some other games I'm enjoying much more.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018

-Multiplatform

I think this is a little bit of historical revisionism. The discussions surrounding the technical aspect really hurt Control when it launched. Even on the recent Spawn cast they brought it up.

It currently has a 82 on Metacritic which is good but not one of the better reviewed games of 2019

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
If you enjoyed Control's lighting, atmosphere, and overall drug-trippy audio/visual presentation, check out Beyond The Black Rainbow (should still be free on Tubi).

X-Files and Twin Peaks are often referenced when talking about Control, but I'd be shocked if this wasn't a primary source of inspiration for Remedy.

Anyway, well deserved again. Hoping to squeeze in another playthrough over Christmas.

I really wanted to like this movie, but it's terrible. Great OST for sure.

I can see the similarities though.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Well deserved. For me, it's a toss between Control and RE2 as GOTY.

I think this is a little bit of historical revisionism. The discussions surrounding the technical aspect really hurt Control when it launched. Even on the recent Spawn cast they brought it up.

I agree. You can't really blame people for skipping the game at launch due to the several technical issues, across all platforms. Unless you were a hardcore Remedy fan (like myself, who played Quantum Break at 720p resolution at launch, on Xbox One), the right thing to do was to wait at least until most of the issues had been addressed and performance reached acceptable levels.

Even on PC, where I played Control with a 1080 Ti, I had to switch to 1440p in order to get a locked 60fps - and that's without ray tracing! Now, with a 2080 Ti, it's either 1800p without RTX, or 1080p (upscaled to 4K, using DLSS) with RTX on.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Yeah, because this is a GOTY award.
585987643645493258.png

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
The combat is one of if not the best part of the game, especially once you unlock more abilities, it looks, controls and feels pretty awesome to play.

pW4UYjy.gif

Fully agree with you. I'm gonna say, action parts with the insane physics engine that Remedy got looked almost next-gen'ish on decent PC running with 60 fps. Telekinesis in this game feels so good to use!
Remedy should re-release Control for PS5/Xbox 2(?) at launch with improved framerate and added ray tracing. It's quite demanding for current hardware.

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017
This pick just shows how weak 2019 was for me, personally.

It's a nice game but I wouldn't think about it being a GOTY just for one second. Good for Remedy.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Absolutely deserved. The new weird epistolary novel I was looking for arrived in video game form!

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
Well deserved. Fantastic game.

Already completed two play throughs. First run on RTX to check out the brilliantly implemented Ray-Tracing then on my Pro. No doubt will do a third on my X at some point.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
I played through it two times back to back. Immediately started my second run after I saw the credits roll for the first time. It's also the only game I've ever platinumed.

One of the best games I've ever played, well deserved. Cannot wait for the expansions.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I can't speak for anyone else but myself, but it came out when Astral Chain did and I chose Astral over Control. Then the crazy Sept-Nov games all came out and I was buying a new game every week. Now that I'm finally cooling down on everything, I feel like I might as well wait for it to show up on game pass or something some day. Control just came out at a really bad time for me.

I see a lot of people sharing this sentiment. I also see people talking about Control all the time, as opposed to Astral Chain which everyone seemed to forget.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Loved this game enough to get all achievements, which I do not do that often. This is a solid GOTY winner and I really hope there is a Game Pass announcement at The Game Awards so I can play it again. Sold my copy after I did everything in the game, but now I've got the itch again. Congrats to all at Remedy!

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just waiting until I build a new PC to play it. They accidentally made the graphics too good and now I don't want to waste it on my old ass PC or PS4 haha

Seems like a great game to inaugurate a new machine with, that ray tracing tech is the first implementation I've seen where it's really a night and day difference.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
haven't played it yet. if it comes to Steam i'll give it a try. it looks cool.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
I finished Control 100%, good game, has a great story, but casual players who don't read at all would lose so much of the world building and the combat was very basic, a lot of effects, but not very fun or challenging.

Aug 15, 2019
It was my favourite game of 2019 too. Hopefully this helps boost sales, because it sucks to see an amazing game not selling as well as it deserves.

Yeah the first big patch solved the major issues, namely the horrific frame drops and the level with the intense lighting bug. It still chugs occasionally during super heavy fights, but there's so much shit going on at those moments that it doesn't really bother you.
Thanks for the heads up, sounds great. Will def get on that one after Death Stranding, currently on Chapter 7 so half way done.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I had no idea the game was that good. I remember initial reception being good but not amazing.
Might check it out later!

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get it because of performance issues at launch. I knew if I waited it would get better. I got the game on Black Friday. The combat can sometimes be wonky, but the story so far has really kept my hooked. It's definitely a unique experience, which in our modern gaming landscape, deserves accolades.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This makes the leak of it potentially going to Game Pass extra harmful to be honest. Some GOTY hype is going to push more sales, but a lot of people will wait for it to show up on game pass.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Not even close to goty material imo but hey, I've thought most of IGN's opinions were laughably bad for quite a while, so I'm not surprised.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Because you implied that picking it for GotY is a "laughably bad" decision?
No I said their opinions have been laughably bad for a while so I'm not surprised that I disagree with their GOTY. Conttol isn't a laughable pick, it's just a 7/10 to me and there were a lot of better games this year.