• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
so I just watched a few gameplay videos for first time, honest question: is it just a fast-paced TPS or am I missing something out here?

A lot of it is about its presentation, style, atmosphere, story, and the different abilities you eventually gain throughout the game.

By the time you hit mid point in the game, you could string together some pretty interesting battles, and the environment destructibility is kind of mind-boggling in some ways. It also tends to tank the frame rate on consoles but it's somewhat better than it was at least

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
so I just watched a few gameplay videos for first time, honest question: is it just a fast-paced TPS or am I missing something out here?
It has a lot of the qualities of an immersive sim like Bioshock or Prey 2017. The game has a very cohesive world that is full of lore and personality. A lot of my fun from the game came from exploring the areas and reading all of documents about the history of The Bureau.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It's interesting to see the disconnect between metacritic average and the end of year awards.

Congrats to Remedy and control. While I haven't finished it yet, it felt like such an awesome game that was bafflingly falling under the radar. I wonder if that's due to the metroidvania design and story just needing time to sink in? Perhaps performance issues brought scores down on a game that deserved better, amd has since been patched?

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
God, I want this game so bad. Been successfully clearing my small backlog of games, so when I'm done I can play Control and Jedi Fallen Order.
Hoping to get one or the other for Christmas!

I'll be going in near completely blind for both!

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This shows the disconnect between the games media and people who actually purchases games. This game was a complete flop sales wise and yet all the media has been kissing it's ass. To be GOTY people need to actually play the game. If a game doesn't meet a certain sales (units) and critical criteria it shouldn't be considered.
Ah, you're one of those who believes art and media should be measured by units sold and the millions it can rake in and not on anything it has to offer.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty good third person shooter/action game when it comes to gameplay. But its main selling point, to me, is its incredibly delicious weird story and lore. Not pretentious weird, not silly weird, not dumb weird, not bad weird, but amazing and intriguing weird. Like a mix between X-files, SCP and Twin Peaks. Except less quirky, I guess? Perhaps even modern Lovecraftian.

I always recommend people to watch the first 30 minutes or so of the game. It gives a good sense of this game's "style". Should be a good indicator whether it's your cup of tea or not.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
While not my first choice (tech issues and difficulty spikes hurt the experience a bit for me), the game was on my shortlist for GoTY contenders, and delivered a fantastic setting and set pieces (man the ashtray maze was cool). Congratulations to Remedy, and I'm extremely excited for the DLC!

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to sound snide, but did Control really need to be a shooter?
Its sounds like the thing people liked the most were the world, the setting, the characters and the exploration.
The shooting part almost sounds extraneous .

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I should probably play this game huh?

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Game is cool, but it would have been better with a more likable main character.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Remedy youre dynamite. I hope Control win mgoty. It deserves it.

The SCP game we derserved and needed.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn, awesome pick.

Much more.

With the superpowers, I went through some fights barely using the gun.

The story and world building is also amazing. Best Remedy game ever in that regard (more expansive than Max Payne, more interesting than Quantum Break or Alan Wake imo).

Sep 12, 2018
Honestly think this might be my favorite game since the double-whammy of Breath of the Wild/Nier Automata in early 2017. Neither of those had truly game changing PC ports either.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
What a great game! Came for the cool combat left with one of my favorite worlds to explore and learn more about. Never can I remember going through every piece of lore for a game like I did with this one. Big props to remedy. Hope this boosts sales and they're able to create more unique experiences.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Its sounds like the thing people liked the most were the world, the setting, the characters and the exploration.
The gunplay is some of the finest out there. It's fantastic and a Remedy signature. It's very well justified especially when you start combining all the gravity altering stuff with your gun. Flying around and pulling off a headshot with the Pierce was just.... perfection.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. The combat is by far one of the highlights of the game. It's super fun

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The fast paced shooting that rewards aggressive play, prioritizing targets, clever positioning, and tactical ability use is a highlight of the game.