• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

k1x-

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to echo what many of you have already pointed out and say this is most likely the publisher at work. These kinds of decisions are typically made at the publisher level.

I also think 505 is to blame here. But dont you think Remedy could choose to provide a free next-gen Update if they wanted to?

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
I also think 505 is to blame here. But dont you think Remedy could choose to provide a free next-gen Update if they wanted to?
Probably not, however they are still responsible for being a part of this scummy decision. Maybe look a little longer at the contract you sign, maybe don't agree in the meeting where this decision was announced or discussed. MAYBE at least offer SOMETHING for your day 1 supporters, you know?

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But they're giving it up with the Ultimate Edition. If there were no free upgrades but BC worked to smooth out the issues on the current gen versions, I don't think this would be an issue. It's the fact that they're rewarding the players who chose not to buy Control while punishing the players who did that really grinds.
Ultimate Edition is a stealth way to charge for the port imo. Oh you get the free upgrade but only if you buy it again.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Remedy you were one of the good ones. did 505 put you up with this shit???
Remedy have been making bullshit deals for years.
  • Control EGS exclusivity on PC, and PS4-exclusive content.
  • Quantum Break received a late, rushed, and abandoned port on PC. The DX12 and DX11 versions of the game are sold on different storefronts. Both perform terribly, lack basic options expected of a PC game, and control badly with a mouse. The PC version doesn't have the option to download cutscenes for offline play - you have to stream them. And in-game cinematics are locked to 30 FPS.
  • The Alan Wake Xbox 360 exclusivity deal, after being a long-anticipated PC game.
Maybe this was not entirely their decision, but I don't see why they should be given a pass for it.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Ultimate Edition is a stealth way to charge for the port imo. Oh you get the free upgrade but only if you buy it again.
There's no stealth about it. And why not just charge for the next gen port? Given the technical problems that Control had on consoles, I feel like they ought to make sure BC works on next gen. But beyond that, charging for a full next gen version hardly seems controversial, given Control's release date and precedent with games like TLOU Remastered.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Remedy have been making bullshit deals for years.
  • Control EGS exclusivity on PC, and PS4-exclusive content.
  • Quantum Break received a late, rushed, and abandoned port on PC. The DX12 and DX11 versions of the game are sold on different storefronts. Both perform terribly, lack basic options expected of a PC game, and control badly with a mouse. The PC version doesn't have the option to download cutscenes for offline play - you have to stream them. And in-game cinematics are locked to 30 FPS.
  • The Alan Wake Xbox 360 exclusivity deal, after being a long-anticipated PC game.
Maybe this was not entirely their decision, but I don't see why they should be given a pass for it.
Remember when they said that the reason Alan Wake wasn't on PC was because it was designed to be played on a couch, not because their deal with Microsoft required exclusivity?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
There's no stealth about it. And why not just charge for the next gen port? Given the technical problems that Control had on consoles, I feel like they ought to make sure BC works on next gen. But beyond that, charging for a full next gen version hardly seems controversial, given Control's release date and precedent with games like TLOU Remastered.
PS4 wasn't backward compatible with PS3, this is totally different...

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should at least give the current owners a way to upgrade for a fee, doesn't make sense to buy the full game again. Expected more from Remedy.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I 100% agree with you the publisher is most likely at fault here but at the same time if you're a developer it's your responsibility to not enter in partnerships that could potentially harm your brand. If the difference in developing and releasing "Control" and not making the game at all comes down to partnering up with a shitty anti-consumer publisher than the developer shares some blame there.

It may not be fair but that's reality.

That is easily said from the outside, but not really taking the realities of being an independent developer into account. When faced with the choice between making a game and keeping your employees paid, and declining to do so out of pride or because it may not be the best publisher, I would certainly hope that you develop the game.

I say that as someone who previously worked at an independent developer who certainly struggled between projects, and had to significantly reduce staff as a result.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
That is easily said from the outside, but not really taking the realities of being an independent developer into account. When faced with the choice between making a game and keeping your employees paid, and declining to do so out of pride or because it may not be the best publisher, I would certainly hope that you develop the game.

I say that as someone who previously worked at an independent developer who certainly struggled between projects, and had to significantly reduce staff as a result.

Yes this is the most obvious point I think people are missing. Seems like if they could have self published and kept all the rights and done whatever they'd like it's common sense to say they'd have done so. Instead they probably took the best deal to get their vision of the game made while staying open. That's better than nothing.
off too late... :S I was going to sell my not opened copy :S

HAve they said if you buy the series X / Ps5 version you get also ps4/one X version?
The ultimate edition is the PS4/X1 that will later be patched.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
They should at least give the current owners a way to upgrade for a fee, doesn't make sense to buy the full game again. Expected more from Remedy.
I still don't think that's off the table, unless they've said more than is in the OP, the ultimate edition is the only free upgrade path.

Though if that's the case, they really should've clarified by now.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
This is why I always wait for ultimate editions of games which have DLC
Well, that one was released on Day One. It`s called "Deluxe Edition" and it was supposed to include all content. But guess what...it doesn`t. ;)
Kinda reminds me of those Street Fighter-games where you think "now that`s gotta be the final release right?", until they release another version.
Maybe we should wait for Control Ultimate Super Turbo Edition, lol.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Well, that one was released on Day One. It`s called "Deluxe Edition" and it was supposed to include all content. But guess what...it doesn`t. ;)
Kinda reminds me of those Street Fighter games where you think "now that`s gotta be the final release right?" until they release another version.
Maybe we should wait for Control Ultimate Super Turbo Edition./s
Even Tekken 7's ultimate edition doesn't include content for season pass 3 and god knows how many season passes it will have before we get the ultimate ultimate edition which is why I haven't bought it so far same reason why I haven't yet bought Doom Eternal, pubs think they have gotten smarter this gen...idiots

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even Tekken 7's ultimate edition doesn't include content for season pass 3 and god knows how many season passes it will have before we get the ultimate ultimate edition which is why I haven't bought it so far same reason why I haven't yet bought Doom Eternal, pubs think they have gotten smarter this gen...idiots
Doom Eternal at least has the next gen patch coming for free.

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
They gotta recoup their losses somehow lol

I was going to wait until all the DLC was out on Xbox to purchase because of scummy exclusivity clauses but they made the mistake of announcing the next-gen "good" version before all was well, so now I get to happily continue playing the waiting game.

505 has mismanaged this to such an embarrassing degree that it feels like 2010 AKSYS levels of stupid. I wonder if Remedy is regretting signing with them like Bungie did with Activision? Lots of money is nice until you realize that your publishing partner is just putting all your work in their butt. Like, are they trying to Bethesda Remedy so they can scoop them up at a discount?

505 Games has probably got return for their investment already. They bought the rights with 7,75 million, got over 10 million from Epic and % of the sales. It's not like the game will stop making money for them. Their relationship with Remedy went sideways and now they are trying to milk it for every penny they can get because the likelihood of them ever publishing another Remedy game is close to zero.

If the relationship between 505 and Remedy was okay/decent, they might have partnered up on the next game as well, but as we know Remedy went with Epic. Remedy had to deal with the backlash from being sold only on EGS and now this. Granted, they might have had a say (or at least gotten some money) on the Epic deal, but it could have soured their relationship. Remedy chose to cut out the middleman by going directly to Epic with their next games, which might have pissed off 505.

I doubt 505 Games made many friends with the way they handled the game and Remedy. They are trash tier publisher to begin with, with very limited amount of decent games under their belt. Remedy always talks about establishing brands, the long game and are generally quite aware of what reaction their moves (or publishers movers) make. They've had to deal with Alan Wake backslash (PC release postponed by MS) etc. This move has 505 Games written all over it, such a shame Remedy takes the hit as well when their hands are pretty much tied up. Luckily for Remedy they are not in such dire position as they were back in 2017, so scooping them up is not that easy. Their stock has gone up from 13.80 to 30.50 during corona. Last time I checked, it was 20 euros and something and that was in July. Should have bought their stock when it was a lot cheaper :)

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
505 Games has probably got return for their investment already. They bought the rights with 7,75 million, got over 10 million from Epic and % of the sales. It's not like the game will stop making money for them. Their relationship with Remedy went sideways and now they are trying to milk it for every penny they can get because the likelihood of them ever publishing another Remedy game is close to zero.
The thing is, 505 have a big Remedy game still to publish: the next gen version of Control. By trying to nickel and dime the current gen players with the Ultimate Edition, they're just killing off potential sales of the next gen version by pissing off their loyal customers - the ones who would've been there on launch day for the next gen version. Nobody wins here, except for the people who barely gave a shit about Control in the first place.

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
The thing is, 505 have a big Remedy game still to publish: the next gen version of Control. By trying to nickel and dime the current gen players with the Ultimate Edition, they're just killing off potential sales of the next gen version by pissing off their loyal customers - the ones who would've been there on launch day for the next gen version. Nobody wins here, except for the people who barely gave a shit about Control in the first place.

Well that is true. I personally don't see the logic here, but then again I'm not Italian.

It's just horrible PR whatever their goal is. The free upgrade should be awarded to anyone buying a version of the game that has the base game + dlcs. Yes, making the game for XBX and PS5 will cost them money. But had they announced that anyone purchasing Ultimate Edition, whatever edition had it all from the beginning or base game + season pass would be awarded free upgrade, they could have boosted the sales for the upcoming edition and for the season pass. Now their tactics have created only bad publicity on everyone involved.

It sucks that Remedy just can't get a break when it comes to publishers. Their last 3 games (big ones) have all suffered from publishers decisions.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Game sales weren't too hot were they? Don't know if they want to commit to free upgrades if a lot of work is put into it.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
The ultimate edition is not free.
To clarify, I'm saying that the quote in the OP says that the ultimate edition is the only edition receiving a free update.

To me, that leaves them wiggle room for a paid update for other editions. As in, update to ultimate for $15 or something.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sceptical that the "upgrades" for most games will be worth any extra money

I mean it's not magic

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
As I said then, there is no free upgrade. There is an upgrade included when you buy a new version, but if you have to buy something it is not free. That's what free means.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

If the relationship between 505 and Remedy was okay/decent, they might have partnered up on the next game as well, but as we know Remedy went with Epic. Remedy had to deal with the backlash from being sold only on EGS and now this. Granted, they might have had a say (or at least gotten some money) on the Epic deal, but it could have soured their relationship. Remedy chose to cut out the middleman by going directly to Epic with their next games, which might have pissed off 505.

I doubt 505 Games made many friends with the way they handled the game and Remedy. They are trash tier publisher to begin with, with very limited amount of decent games under their belt. Remedy always talks about establishing brands, the long game and are generally quite aware of what reaction their moves (or publishers movers) make. They've had to deal with Alan Wake backslash (PC release postponed by MS) etc. This move has 505 Games written all over it, such a shame Remedy takes the hit as well when their hands are pretty much tied up. Luckily for Remedy they are not in such dire position as they were back in 2017, so scooping them up is not that easy. Their stock has gone up from 13.80 to 30.50 during corona. Last time I checked, it was 20 euros and something and that was in July. Should have bought their stock when it was a lot cheaper :)
Can I get a source for those numbers? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just I want to see for myself. Remedy hasn't had the best luck with publishers, definitely.

May 10, 2019
I love Control so much, I bought the pass for both dlcs. That's something I haven't done for a very long time but wanted the content as well as support Remedy/505 to show love for more Control in the future.

This however is BS and should be challenged in every way.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
You're buying a PS4/X1 game, and the upgrade to get the PS5/XSX version is free. It's not that hard to grasp, surely?
Obviously it's a free upgrade for anyone who buys the ultimate edition. That's not the point. The point is that it's not free for people who bought the original version, and who almost certainly paid more for that original version (and potentially the season pass too) to support Remedy in the launch window.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
To clarify, I'm saying that the quote in the OP says that the ultimate edition is the only edition receiving a free update.

To me, that leaves them wiggle room for a paid update for other editions. As in, update to ultimate for $15 or something.

Didn't Microsoft take a hard stance on "selling upgrade paths" as DLC for games? Think I read that somewhere.

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
Can I get a source for those numbers? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just I want to see for myself. Remedy hasn't had the best luck with publishers, definitely.
Stock price or the deals with 505 Games and EGS?

Stock prices are here: https://investors.remedygames.com/

505 Games and EGS deals: Use search function here and put "Remedy" and only thread titles and you should find the threads where it was discussed.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Time for Remedy to back-pedal this.

I got the most expensive edition + Season Pass ain't buying anything else other than Alan Wake Remaster or Control 2.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Obviously it's a free upgrade for anyone who buys the ultimate edition. That's not the point. The point is that it's not free for people who bought the original version, and who almost certainly paid more for that original version (and potentially the season pass too) to support Remedy in the launch window.
You'd think that was obvious. The person I was replying to was just being pedantic and using the 'free' argument.

Completely agree 505 need to offer this free upgrade to anyone who already has the game+season pass at least.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm super happy with the $40 price, but I still feel for everyone that bought the base game and season pass and won't get the upgrade for "reasons".